• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

New Balance kits

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think I read somewhere that if LFC strike a deal with another company then NB have an option to match it. But at £80m a year i doubt they would want to.

igor_piss_can

On the subject of design - I think the kits bring on a life of themselves anyway depending on how the team performs wearing them.

The 2005 shirt was pretty hideous, as was the 2001. I didn't think that much of last season's either but they're iconic now because of what we've won. The 2010/11 kit was one of my favourites but I get nightmares every time I look at it now because it just reminds me of Hodgson. Similar with the 17/18 one, had some great memories in it to be fair but the first thing that comes to my mind when I see it is "Kiev"

You can have the nicest football shirt in the world but if you win fuck all wearing it it'll never be remembered!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Given the amount of money @Alright Now has wasted dedicated to his global travels over the last year or so, I’m sure that he won’t have any problems contributing a relative pittance towards his friend’s shirt.
He tries to be tough, but deep down he's a softie. I'm thinking I should do a emotional blackmail so that he sponsors my fifa club world cup tickets!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
On the subject of design - I think the kits bring on a life of themselves anyway depending on how the team performs wearing them.

The 2005 shirt was pretty hideous, as was the 2001. I didn't think that much of last season's either but they're iconic now because of what we've won. The 2010/11 kit was one of my favourites but I get nightmares every time I look at it now because it just reminds me of Hodgson. Similar with the 17/18 one, had some great memories in it to be fair but the first thing that comes to my mind when I see it is "Kiev"

You can have the nicest football shirt in the world but if you win fuck all wearing it it'll never be remembered!
I thought last year's kit was gorgeous to be honest. That red was delightful.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I preferred the previous year's kit (125 years). I love all three (4 if you count the black goalie top) of this season's kits. I really hope that Nike will keep the deeper red.
Agreed Commando, the 125 Years home shirt is stunning IMO. Beautifully done and one of my personal faves. The deeper red in addition to the V-Neck style was pure class. As an aside and completely random thought, when I think of that shirt I think of Gini scoring before half in the 2017 season finale against Middlesbrough, the match that sealed Top 4 and Champions League. The club debuted the shirts that day.

There was a report floating around on the socials in the past week or so that New Balance has a clause in their deal which allows them an opportunity to match any proposal that LFC receive. I know FSG and New Balance have a long partnership, so it will be interesting to see where this eventually lands.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Ah you see I am in the minority of people who prefer a proper collar.

That Black goalie top is sexy, I hope to get it at some point.... Adrian looked the business in it yesterday.
Matty - I am with you, 100%. I am a kit nerd and I have posted about this before, I always always prefer a proper collar. It's class. Buttons if at all possible as well.

EDIT: but the 125 Year shirt really did something for me. Loved the aesthetic.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Come on NB,match Nike's offer,just do it.
It does seem rather straightforward, if such a clause in the deal does exist for NB I wonder why the need for High Court. And conversely I would be interested to hear the club's perspective, if the money is the same again I wonder the need for High Court.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Story i read today said the Nike deal was for £70mill,a record deal for us beating our £45mill atm (still a good deal i guess) but it's £5mill less than Uniteds,i guess their bargining point is that United on current form won't be getting a similar deal to what they are on now,if they decided to change or re-new.

I'm hoping this current court appeal by NB will give us more leverage in getting more money out of Nike,at the end of the day we should be getting a higher amount if you compare it to United who agreed a deal for £75mill a season, 5 years ago now and won fuck all of note since (bar a Europa cup),with a team clearly on the downward spiral,where as we are Champions of Europe with a team clearly on the up,with a bright future and a huge worldwide following who buy the shirt.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
If just for aesthetics I'd happily stick with NB, but I get that would be the kind of non-move that left us behind Utd in the 90s. We are at the top and we have to maximise to stay there. At least a few Nike designs are decent.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
The socks saga continues...

Anyone noticed that we wore our red socks in the league on Sunday? Not to clash with Chelsea's white. NB have made a lot of quality stuff with us, but that move with our socks was pretty amateurish. Bob Paisley kit, okay, but what's the link? I don't see it. Random move that turned out to be a shitty one. Someone from the club who knows football inside out should have a word with NB to say which few details are simply a no go. And leave the rest to the imagination of designers. That should be possible.

As for the contracts and offers... you can understand the club wanting more distribution with Nike. Just to give an example, I find it a bit strange in Croatia seeing even an Everton shirt (not to mention big clubs with stronger brands) in some stores who have Umbro gear.

We have a New Balance shop just a few metres below the main square in Zagreb. There is not a single product of Liverpool FC. Not even a bloody pen, nothing. My mate asked once if they could order some stuff or something, but they said no. I know plenty of people who constantly went there seeing if there's anything LFC related and nothing for years now.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
We have a New Balance shop just a few metres below the main square in Zagreb. There is not a single product of Liverpool FC. Not even a bloody pen, nothing. My mate asked once if they could order some stuff or something, but they said no. I know plenty of people who constantly went there seeing if there's anything LFC related and nothing for years now.
I really like what NB has done to the design of the LFC kits in the last few years, better than others brands that I have seen, and continue to have NB to do well in the future with LFC kits.

However, you are correct about the distribution networks: There is a NB store very close to where I live, and it does stock the LFC kits (including the very difficult to get black/gold goalie's kit). What annoys me the most is that the store (not sure if it is the same across Canada) do not carry kits with player's name and number. I can forego the EPL patch on the sleeves, but come on, throw me a bone here! That is the reason why I ordered Hendo's UCL shirt this year from LFC store, and had to bear with the horror of DHL and its fees.

RedYank

At the risk of going "Away End" commentary...never mind, won't do it.

Suffice to say, I fear a too-powerful corporation dictating their terms to our club--simply because they have a more "global" market presence. And...(gritting my teeth to not get into their worldwide labor abuses)

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Read an article on the main page where Pearce states it's matching United's. Hope he's talking out of his arse. This is when we should really be smashing it out the park.
It depends on the structure. As far as I'm aware United haven't come close to earning £75m per year because they haven't hit the performance criteria.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can't we have Adidas instead, I like sporting range?
I like Adidas stuff as well, but the club was poorly treated towards the end of our last deal. I don’t think we’d go there

Besides, I don’t think they could afford another big contract.