• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

New Balance kits

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Anyone understand what’s going on with this court case?

Emails, doors, Whatsapp messages, China, Brazil..... I mean cmon.

Surely new balance can’t hold our club against its will?

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

time line of the court case , live at the moment.
That was an interesting read. The thing I took from that is that there are a lot of "errors" on the NB side, unless I am reading it incorrectly.

I had to laugh that Jaden Smith is listed as a NB "influencer" vs LeBron James, Drake and Serena Williams.

Last edited:

nobluff

That was an interesting read. The thing I took from that is that there are a lot of "errors" on the NB side, unless I am reading it incorrectly.

I have to laugh that Jaden Smith is listed as a NB "influencer" vs LeBron James, Drake and Serena Williams.
Taking Instagram as a base for influencers

NB
Smith 13.6m
Kawhi - essentially non-existent

Nike
Drake 60.6m
James 52.1m
Williams 11.7m

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I think the gist of it atm is that NB seem to be blagging the amount of shops/online stores they have globally,to sell official LFC shirts compared to Nike's 6,000 outlets,which i guess they have to match to keep the deal.

Although NB are saying that because LFC are doing well now,they can sell from more places and bump up more sales around the world,NB have said in their defence that if we weren't doing aswell and we were under Nike,they wouldn't be selling our shirts from their 6,000 outlets.

I have no clue what the outcome will be.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

nikz200

To me in terms of value and sheer reach, there is no way New Balance can convince anyone they have similar reach to Nike. And just because we won the UCL now the China markets want to do business and they can improve their reach in china? Why the hell would anyone stick in a deal that clearly benefits NB and makes us just a tool for their distribution. Nike is already established in China with eons of experience.

I would say NB are just stupidly saying they can match nike reach just to win the case and at the end of all this, we would be no better off than we were before. I have also seen no attempt from NB to market our items in America or Asia. Where i live (Malaysia) there is only a handful of NB shops and some of those NB shops don't even have our kits on display, we would need to go in and look for them. Not to mention lack of NB promotional activities in Asia with the Liverpool brand, whereas bloody united has chivas and pogbas face in all the addidas stores wearing united gear. Like there is a strong following of Liverpool fans here in Malaysia and thank god for the official liverpool store that opened in the capital lately, but adidas and nike are clearly everywhere and they go big. NB just doesn't have that, they don't market here, they barely have sizeable jerseys, their shops are small in size compared to nike and adidas. What makes them think they can market to China?

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
What i'm finding a bit sketchy in all of this,is if the projected shirt sales increase to 59%,1,why are NB & Nike saying we'll still sell 2.9mill shirts (surely that will be alot more) and 2,these £64mill 18/19 profits and suposedly £70mill+ next season figures mentioned,are they shirt sales alone or does that include all NB/LFC merchandise??

If those figures are just kit sales alone,you'd imagine with Nike's distribution and worldwide reach,selling 2.9mill shirts AND merchandise in atleast 8,000 outlets,20% of those extra sales will be a pretty big increase in what NB could achieve,seeing as the bulk of their shops are only selling our LFC/NB trainers and not much else,according to the court case.

nobluff

I think NB is dead in the water, and even if what they have proposed is considered a matching offer, I think it is the absolute max they can deliver on, while on the other hand Nike could boost their current offer. I think there are a few things that Nike can do to improve their offer, while at the same time not increase their own risk.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What i'm finding a bit sketchy in all of this,is if the projected shirt sales increase to 59%,1,why are NB & Nike saying we'll still sell 2.9mill shirts (surely that will be alot more) and 2,these £64mill 18/19 profits and suposedly £70mill+ next season figures mentioned,are they shirt sales alone or does that include all NB/LFC merchandise??

If those figures are just kit sales alone,you'd imagine with Nike's distribution and worldwide reach,selling 2.9mill shirts AND merchandise in atleast 8,000 outlets,20% of those extra sales will be a pretty big increase in what NB could achieve,seeing as the bulk of their shops are only selling our LFC/NB trainers and not much else,according to the court case.
I think that is the figure 100% to hit (based on this season), if you take that figure and add 10% (a very very conservative estimate) it's 3mil shirts, if they get sold @ £70 each = £210mil, 20% net profit per shirt is £42mil. So just on shirt sales alone, plus the £30mil yearly payment we are achieving an income of £72mil in a season. That doesn't include any other item - trainers, jackets, merch etc. or bonuses. It could easily be pushing £100mil per season if we continue to stay at this level.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Judgement this morning, apparently.

Not confident the club are going to get out of this scot free.

Obviously we won’t be continuing with New Balance, as the relationship is damaged and probably can’t be rescued. But I think LFC could be about to get whacked for a tidy sum in compensation to New Balance.

The club seem to have handled the case poorly, and haven’t done a good job demonstrating why Nike’s offer can’t be matched.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Fuck Nike.

My NB 1500v4s kick arse.
Haha funny you say that I got a pair of 1080 NBs last year and they absolutely destroy the back of my heel, all the padding came off leaving a mess which gave me blisters. Got a pair of Nike Pegasus zoom 36 and they are they comfiest trainer I've ever worn, like slippers!

RedYank

Obviously we won’t be continuing with New Balance, as the relationship is damaged and probably can’t be rescued. But I think LFC could be about to get whacked for a tidy sum in compensation to New Balance.

The club seem to have handled the case poorly, and haven’t done a good job demonstrating why Nike’s offer can’t be matched.
You could very well be right. Having not seen the case filings or appreciating the applicable substantive law, I surmise this has been a morass of claims/counter-claims/cross-claims. Over here at least in non clear-cut civil matters, the court may find fault everywhere and declare a pox on you all. A party might "win", but also pay a stiff price.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Forgive my lack of business,commercial and law knowledge,but if LFC win this case and the NB contract finishes next may,so they can carry on with Nike,on what grounds would NB have to sue LFC for compensation?