• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

New Balance kits

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Haha funny you say that I got a pair of 1080 NBs last year and they absolutely destroy the back of my heel, all the padding came off leaving a mess which gave me blisters. Got a pair of Nike Pegasus zoom 36 and they are they comfiest trainer I've ever worn, like slippers!
Feet are funny, or weird more like it...

Can't stand Asics, got injured, did a marathon in Mizuno, but my current NBs are my favourite shoes ever.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Judge said may be Friday, but there's a lot to consider.

As others have said, will probably see NB win some kind of compo but ultimately lose the contract.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

As others have said, will probably see NB win some kind of compo but ultimately lose the contract.
I'm trying to understand what the deal is here but you're the 2nd person to mention NB getting compensation if LFC win the case,on what grounds?? as far as i'm aware,come may next season,our contract with NB is over,this court case is to determine if they can match any new deal with potential new sponsors,if the court states NB can't match Nike and we go with Nike,what can they sue us for?

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

If judgement is that NB can match Nike, then NB stays as our shirt manufacturer. No?

Nike should just offer us £80m, then when NB can't match it - just go to the deal that they have "agreed". Easy.

[email protected]

NB are downplaying the role of the Nike Ambassadors like LeBron James, Drake etc whom Nike have guaranteed will play a role in marketing as not measurable. That argument goes to the heart of sponsorship though doesn't it as in; they are paying us for exposure of their brand i.e. other star athletes and stars also offer exposure. Perhaps I am not putting quite so well but that argument itself is basically contradicting the whole premise of what sponsorships is trying to do.

I'm ambivalent to Nike and never really went for their gear for no other reason that the tick just doesn't do it for me but at the end of the day it's what's best for the Club and Nike offers far, far more scope than NB can hope to match and it really doesn't take a court to see that. NB have had it good with us and it was a good relationship; we've exposed their brand far more than they have exposed ours which is why they pay us. They've got their monies worth and they know that Liverpool will explode worldwide when we win a League Title and want to be a part of that. I can understand their reasoning to want to hang on to a deal but there really should not be a way they can hold us to ransom in order to cash in on it as it has been our success that they are now basking in the reflected glory of and not the other way around.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If judgement is that NB can match Nike, then NB stays as our shirt manufacturer. No?

Nike should just offer us £80m, then when NB can't match it - just go to the deal that they have "agreed". Easy.
No they can’t force that. We’ll have to pay them compo.

Mascot88

Admin
I'm trying to understand what the deal is here but you're the 2nd person to mention NB getting compensation if LFC win the case,on what grounds?? as far as i'm aware,come may next season,our contract with NB is over,this court case is to determine if they can match any new deal with potential new sponsors,if the court states NB can't match Nike and we go with Nike,what can they sue us for?
Unfortunately it may be that the club have been a little short sighted here.

The contract appears to state that NB have a match clause. NB claim this relates to the financial agreement which NB are willing to match. Liverpool/Nike claim it should also relate the reach/profile/endorsements that the sponsor can offer.

Commentary seems to suggest LFC are losing the argument.

Mascot88

Admin
NB are downplaying the role of the Nike Ambassadors like LeBron James, Drake etc whom Nike have guaranteed will play a role in marketing as not measurable. That argument goes to the heart of sponsorship though doesn't it as in; they are paying us for exposure of their brand i.e. other star athletes and stars also offer exposure. Perhaps I am not putting quite so well but that argument itself is basically contradicting the whole premise of what sponsorships is trying to do.

I'm ambivalent to Nike and never really went for their gear for no other reason that the tick just doesn't do it for me but at the end of the day it's what's best for the Club and Nike offers far, far more scope than NB can hope to match and it really doesn't take a court to see that. NB have had it good with us and it was a good relationship; we've exposed their brand far more than they have exposed ours which is why they pay us. They've got their monies worth and they know that Liverpool will explode worldwide when we win a League Title and want to be a part of that. I can understand their reasoning to want to hang on to a deal but there really should not be a way they can hold us to ransom in order to cash in on it as it has been our success that they are now basking in the reflected glory of and not the other way around.
It’s very clear that LFC see Nike, and especially a partnership that guaranteed brand exposure by the likes of Drake, LeBron etc as a means of catapulting the club into the highest echelons of sporting brands. I imagine they see the Liverbird as getting to the Yankees level of being a fashion statement in its own right.

While it appears on the surface that the cash offer from Nike doesn’t get anywhere close to the United Benchmark, it seems LFC are happy with the arrangement as a genuine partnership with Nike is potentially worth a great deal more in the long run.

However in structuring the deal as moderate cash + stratospheric kickbacks, NB are now arguing that they have the right to retain the contract as they can meet the cash upfront and can increase the exposure to the level LFC expect to reach.

LFC are trying to argue is that this is essentially an offer/arrangement that NB cannot meet. However it may be that the detail of the original contract does not give LFC the scope to add additional exposure and distribution related kickbacks into consideration. And according to some commentators, LFCs Lawyers are doing a poor job in court.

From what I read it doesn’t look that promising for LFC. I suppose we’ll find out soon. Hoping we have a judge who has actually heard of Drake.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It’s very clear that LFC see Nike, and especially a partnership that guaranteed brand exposure by the likes of Drake, LeBron etc as a means of catapulting the club into the highest echelons of sporting brands. I imagine they see the Liverbird as getting to the Yankees level of being a fashion statement in its own right.

While it appears on the surface that the cash offer from Nike doesn’t get anywhere close to the United Benchmark, it seems LFC are happy with the arrangement as a genuine partnership with Nike is potentially worth a great deal more in the long run.

However in structuring the deal as moderate cash + stratospheric kickbacks, NB are now arguing that they have the right to retain the contract as they can meet the cash upfront and can increase the exposure to the level LFC expect to reach.

LFC are trying to argue is that this is essentially an offer/arrangement that NB cannot meet. However it may be that the detail of the original contract does not give LFC the scope to add additional exposure and distribution related kickbacks into consideration. And according to some commentators, LFCs Lawyers are doing a poor job in court.

From what I read it doesn’t look that promising for LFC. I suppose we’ll find out soon. Hoping we have a judge who has actually heard of Drake.

Thing is,if NB win the case,it'll cost them millions more in making sure all their shops and online stores contain LFC replica shirts and a ton of merchandise with the LFC logo on it,which reading the court case,they haven't been doing,selling a pair of LFC shoes in a small NB shoe shop only and classing it as a door and not offering the kit/merchandise,seems to be part of LFC's issue with them.

I just get the feeling NB are looking for a pay off of some kind,if it comes down to it,surely all LFC have to do is either re-negotiate a new deal with Nike with cash upfront and less or no merchandise % (that NB wouldn't or couldn't match) or the next contract they sign with NB is for one more season for a lot more cash and no clauses,so it ends after a year.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Meanwhile, the club should discover on Friday if the High Court agrees a new kit deal with Nike eclipses what current suppliers New Balance are offering as part of a ‘matching clause’ in their existing contract.

Liverpool’s deal with New Balance ends at the end of this season and despite accepting a considerably lower upfront annual payments from Nike after concluding negotiations, the Merseyside club is arguing the distribution powers, sales potential and incremental earnings promised by the sports giant dwarf their rivals.

Adjudication is expected after three days of evidence, although Liverpool consider their relationship with New Balance beyond repair regardless of the outcome.

From the bottom of this article.

yiannos33

Believe
Lfc and Nike should of put a minimum annual payment of what they think they will get. eg.£70million
that way NB have to much it.

jim bouki

They should just come out and say that nike is gift wrapping mbappe as a joining gift. There's no need for lebron james and drake they're not gonna score us the 40 goals a season that's going to keep us an unstoppable force both on and off the pitch. Let's face it, who can new balance get us? Marouane Fellaini?! It's not even a contest.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Good for the club from a financial and commercial perspective.

I have really liked the NB kits - some of the best in my time of supporting Liverpool. Nike kits always look the same to me, but hopefully the club ensure that some of the traditions are retained within the kits. I'd like to hope Nike try something different to their usual stuff.

I do love Nike trainers, so hopefully they will do some air max x LFC collab!

Notasuperfan

It seems LFC has won off the pitch! I wonder will it give us some leverage in signing one big signing??

rupzzz

TIA Regular
It seems LFC has won off the pitch! I wonder will it give us some leverage in signing one big signing??
Mbappe said he will only play in a Nike kit....

...nahhhhhh - makes fk all difference in my opinion...we will earn more yearly from the kid deal, but I believe that Klopp can have who he wants regardless, and the only reason we haven't signed more players is entirely down to him...

Notasuperfan

Mbappe said he will only play in a Nike kit....

...nahhhhhh - makes fk all difference in my opinion...we will earn more yearly from the kid deal, but I believe that Klopp can have who he wants regardless, and the only reason we haven't signed more players is entirely down to him...
True, but some of the players that Nike sponsors are quite enticing and one of them is going to be a free transfer this summer. I wonder if Christian Eriksen is interested in wearing LFC's nike jersey this coming summer or this winter??

Last edited:

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
Ha, when I started supporting we were with Adidas while Utd were with Nike, now it's gonna be the opposite!

rupzzz

TIA Regular
True, but some of the players that Nike sponsors are quite enticing and one of them is going to be a free transfer this summer. I wonder if Christian Eriksen is interested in wearing LFC's nike jersey this coming summer or this winter??
Some of our players are sponsored by other brands too but I doubt they would leave because of Nike.

Bobby, Fabinho, Salah, Gini and Matip wear Adidas but don't see them going to Man U because they have Adidas kits.

A lot of the squad are already in Nike boots, 14 in total.

The biggest impact of Nike will be they are able to get kits in more shops globally, raising our access to bigger markets, therefore more chance of capturing future fans.