GermanRed

Fixtures
Oct. 20th - Huddersfield (a)
Oct. 24th - Red Star (h)
Oct. 27th - Cardiff (h)
Nov. 3rd - Arsenal (a)
Nov. 6th - Red Star (a)
Nov. 11th - Fulham (h)

This run looks 'easier' on paper than the last 7.

I’d take draws away to Arsenal and at Belgrad if we win the other 4 tbh. We have a week off before the Arsenal game while they play in the Carabao Cup in midweek.

Huddersfield is the game where we should get back to winning ways. Especially the first three games offer the chance for our Front3 to get back on the scoresheet and the chance for our new signings Keita and Fabinho to get used to our style.

1dragon

TIA Regular
All are must win games in my book. And we should. With the exception of Arsenal, I just do not see the other opponents being a match for us. That being said, can some of our players get a small niggle prior to the international call ups, and recover before the next club game?

FilthyBloke

Arsenal have won 9 in a row and it’s never easy going to the emirates but as for Huddersfield and Cardiff, well they haven’t won a game between them yet and look like they can’t score at all. Fulham have won one game but look weak. Red star should be straightforward.
Realistically 10points from 12 is the bare minimum in the league and 4 points from red star would be slightly disappointing.

[email protected]

The biggest 3 religion worldwide Christ,Muslim,LFC
18 Points in wishlist and its a realistic Claim and at least 5 clean Sheets would do the world for the confidence.
Im going for Mo Bobby and Mane to put 20 past the opponents in this 6 fixtures and enjoy the media talk About how dreadfull our front three Looks like.Up the reds this a big BANG

jaffod

The margins dictate anything less than 10 points and 2 wins against RSB will be a major disappointment.

Dropping points to Huddersfield, Cardiff or Fulham will see us lose ground on our rivals who have all dispatched these sides without fuss. That's how tight things are this season, there is virtually no margin for error.
Likwewise in the CL, if we draw with RSB we may have to beat Napoli to qualify on the final day. A lot will depend on their double-header with PSG.
Some of the fringe players will have to step up in the coming weeks, it's pointless having the big squad if the manager doesn't trust half of them which seems to be the case at the moment. We need to rotate a couple of players per game imo rather than wholesale changes. These 6 games might tell us where we are more than the previous 7 have done.

RedYank

With Milner being out for a month, there will be at least one opportunity to try someone different in a rotation.

Red over the water

All games are very winnable. I agree that the matches against Huddersfield and Cardiff should hopefully see our front three find their shooting boots, and over this run of games I also expect to see more of Keita and Fabinho.

Arsenal away and Red Star away will be tricky. Arsenal have found good form under Emery, but hopefully we go down there and put in the sort of display that saw us win easily against Spurs. We should beat Red Star but it will be a passionate game, with their fans urging them on.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
6 out of 6 in my opinion. Arsenal have been on a good run but haven't played anyone good - their results against City and Chelsea are probably more indicative of where they are. Got to put the lesser teams away with some high scores and get the front three back to where they should be (Shaq-Attack as the link man!). Red Star have a lot of history but aren't a great team so confident in winning home and away against them (and Napoli and PSG sharing the points twice would be excellent!)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I would have advocated rotating through this spell, and getting some rest into some players. Now injury looks like it might have forced our hand.

For the games against Huddersfield, Cardiff and Red Star I would look at the following team

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Moreno
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Keita
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
So a nice couple of weeks off for Salah, Milner, Hendo and Robertson.

RedForever2014

Fixtures
Oct. 20th - Huddersfield (a)
Oct. 24th - Red Star (h)
Oct. 27th - Cardiff (h)
Nov. 3rd - Arsenal (a)
Nov. 6th - Red Star (a)
Nov. 11th - Fulham (h)

This run looks 'easier' on paper than the last 7.

I’d take draws away to Arsenal and at Belgrad if we win the other 4 tbh. We have a week off before the Arsenal game while they play in the Carabao Cup in midweek.

Huddersfield is the game where we should get back to winning ways. Especially the first three games offer the chance for our Front3 to get back on the scoresheet and the chance for our new signings Keita and Fabinho to get used to our style.
After four matches without a win, we need to win all three PL matches bar Arsenal, come away from their place with a draw at least, and beat Red Star twice.

Our PL start of 20 points from 24 means that, whilst it's still early days, we've significantly upped our chances of a third top four finish in a row, which is the minimum acceptable target this season. Last season we got 75 points, 71 would have been enough for 4th, but this season I think it'll take a higher total to finish 4th or higher.

Really we should be looking for 80 points minimum, which means we need 60 points from the 90 points remaining.

A title challenge will require 90 points+, meaning we need 70 more points from the remaining 90. That might mean on paper that we can drop points in a number of matches, but that can easily happen during intense periods, so there really is little margin for error when the run of matches is more favourable.

Regarding the CL, the defeat at Napoli was a huge setback, as it now means we cannot qualify for the last 16 until the 5th or 6th match.

If we drop any points against RSB we could be in serious trouble. We may have taken PSG at home, but the quality they have means that any result at their place would be a bonus, whilst Napoli are more than capable of coming to Anfield and avoiding defeat, if a draw is all they need.

The results between PSG and Napoli will obviously determine much, but the only way to ensure we keep some control of our own destiny, by which I mean not needing wins in both of the last two matches, is to beat Red Star twice.

I have to say I have revised my expectations for this season after the last run of matches.

Our defence has clearly stepped up a level, but it cannot be expected to save us time and time again. In the end the relentless pressure tells, as we saw in the late defeat to Napoli and the near late defeat to City.

But our midfield struggled in recent matches, and whilst I expect it to improve as rotation restores energy levels, and Fabinho/Keita settle more, I fear it won't be enough soon enough for us to actually win anything.

I also fear our attack will struggle this season, due to fatigue, the lack of like for like rotation options, and a lack of midfield creativity.

Year on year our defence is markedly better, whilst our forward squad is slightly better due to Sturridge's resurgence and Shaqiri being better as back up than we had a year ago.

But the improvement in the forward squad isn't enough to offset the fall off in level of the first choices, whilst our midfield isn't the same level as this time last year.

Can was a genuine 4th central midfielder this time last year, and in attacking midfield we had Oxlade and Coutinho, with Grujic as further cover and Lallana (though injured).

This year Fabinho is not yet contributing at Can's level, Keita is nowhere near what Coutinho was, Shaqiri won't be a same level replacement for Oxlade, and Lallana isn't going to be able to offer what we need either.

IMO we did stop short of doing what was necessary in the summer and we are feeling Coutinho's loss more now than we did after he went. People argue that he wasn't missed last season, but the point is that multiple quality players means that when one dips, as Salah has, another picks up the slack.

I think we'll improve our PL points total this season, even if we do so via a different, more defensively minded type of performance. The Champions League is 50/50 in terms of whether we'll get to the latter stages and the FA Cup a complete lottery.

But I think once again we'll find we don't, in the final reckoning, have quite enough to actually win a big prize.

Thankfully we won't see the backwards steps we've seen the season after selling big names previously, this time I think it'll merely mean we're still a little short.

Red over the water

I would have advocated rotating through this spell, and getting some rest into some players. Now injury looks like it might have forced our hand.

For the games against Huddersfield, Cardiff and Red Star I would look at the following team

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Moreno
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Keita
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
So a nice couple of weeks off for Salah, Milner, Hendo and Robertson.
I do like that midfield, especially if Fabinho and Keita start to find their groove. Hopefully some “easier” games might be the place for it to click. Not sure what to say about Moreno, as in principle I can’t slate current Liverpool players, but he makes me nervous!

Mascot88

Admin
I do like that midfield, especially if Fabinho and Keita start to find their groove. Hopefully some “easier” games might be the place for it to click. Not sure what to say about Moreno, as in principle I can’t slate current Liverpool players, but he makes me nervous!
Me too, but you have to give Robbo a rest at some point. Lately he has struggled a bit for the first time.

Moreno will probably be OK alongside Van Dijk, especially against two of the worst sides in the league. I wouldn’t play him if Virgil is out though.

Red over the water

I agree, Robbo would benefit from a little rest, and if you can’t do it against the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff, what’s the squad for? Rumours of Barcelona being interested in Moreno as a back up in January. If that happens do you think we will be in for someone else, or is Lewis getting to the place where he can make the jump to the first team squad?

As for Moreno, when he did that run and goal against Spurs a few years ago, I thought we had a very good player. Even now I love his stamina, and late on in hard fought games when everyone is dead on their feet he is the one who often looks like he can still keep going and offer a threat. That’s the good side. But as a defender he gets out of position, which in itself isn’t the world’s worst crime if we want a left back to get up and down the flank, but it is compounded by his lack of composure which sees him put risky tackles in when he should jockey, and lash at the ball in a panic when a calm clearance or pass is called for.

Still, hopefully the calm that emanates from Van Dijk and Gomez, plus Alisson, will help Moreno settle if called on. And while you can’t take anything for granted, if the margins are so tight against Huddersfield and Cardiff that a possible Moreno blip makes the difference, the rest of the team hasn’t done its job as it shouldn’t factor into the result.

kwala

TIA Regular
Fucking International breaks. Why can't they just set aside a month over summer for this pointless garbage. International cup my arse. They are just trying to make pointless friendlies relevant and make money. All it does is disrupt the season, and put extra burden on the elite players.

We are going to hit form sooner rather than later. Amazing to think we have been pretty poor so far yet we are joint top!

If we can beat Huddlesfield, Red Star and Cardiff, the week leading up to Arsenal should give us some time to work on things! It is definitely a run of games we should be aiming for maximum points bar the Arsenal away game, but even that should be the aim at the Emirates.

Our front 3 are far to good to continue misfiring. A bit worrying they are all off the pace at the same time though!

RedForever2014

Fucking International breaks. Why can't they just set aside a month over summer for this pointless garbage. International cup my arse. They are just trying to make pointless friendlies relevant and make money. All it does is disrupt the season, and put extra burden on the elite players.

We are going to hit form sooner rather than later. Amazing to think we have been pretty poor so far yet we are joint top!

If we can beat Huddlesfield, Red Star and Cardiff, the week leading up to Arsenal should give us some time to work on things! It is definitely a run of games we should be aiming for maximum points bar the Arsenal away game, but even that should be the aim at the Emirates.

Our front 3 are far to good to continue misfiring. A bit worrying they are all off the pace at the same time though!
They are all knackered. And two of them are now injured.

GermanRed

Even if we have to replace VvD, Salah and Mané (at least two of them will be ready to play IMO) at the weekend I think if we are not able to beat Huddersfield with players like Shaqiri, Matip and Sturridge we should forget the title race for now.

'Perfect timing' for some small injuries. Not the biggest opponents on paper next week and Milner and Lallana are also back.

Mascot88

Admin
They are all knackered. And two of them are now injured.
I don’t think it’s so bad.

Mane has a broken thumb, which should stop him playing. Van Dijk has a rib issue, which he has played through with us and Holland. He was always going to need a rest. I would have played Salah in the next three anyway.

Retro Helix

Naby Keita left the pitch with an injury after he was seen holding his thigh in a match against Rwanda. It seems there wasn't a stretcher available as a team mate carried him off on his back.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
International breaks might take a toll on us this time around. It is going to test the quality in depth of our squad. The next six games with a potential 18 points in the league will now see us dropping a few without our main players like Salah, Van Dijk, Milner and Keita.

Danny_

2/3 of our front three injured. I don't know if Mane can play or not with his injury. I sure hope he can as I am not confident that Sturridge and Shaqiri can step in to fill the void. I feel like we need to keep winning to keep pace with the oil baron clubs. Well, I guess it's time to see if the squad players can step up or not.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Jesus Blooody christ some people carry on over nothing issues sometimes.

VVD injury, is one he has been carrying since the Southampton game so there is no reason for him to suddenly not be able to play.

Mane got a broken thumb so is not really an injury that should stop him from playing. If he were a keeper then yes, but as a forward it's most likely not going to be a problem

Salah hamstring strain is probably a 10-12 day injury, considering he'll have had over a week of treatment at Melwood then I would think the midweek game is not totally out of the question, but worst case he will be fit for Cardiff.

Keita, I have no idea of the extent to his injury other than it's his hamstring and he would have needed a stretcher had the Guinean FA had half a brain cell and organised one instead of using the other players to piggyback anyone that gets injured.

RedForever2014

Mane's had an operation, doubt he'll be playing this weekend.

We'd be unwise to field anyone with anything that can be aggravated.

After four matches without a win, there's no room for slippage.

We need three wins and a draw in the PL and two wins in the CL.

As I said previously, any dropped points to Red Star and we could find we're a poor result to PSG or Napoli from going out of the CL.

RedForever2014

I see this as two chunks, the next three matches, then a week off before two tough away matches and a final match.

Any doubts about Keita, Milner, VVD, Mane and Salah and I'd rest them until fully free of injury, hopefully by Arsenal. I think we should build towards being full strength and well rested by the time we go to Arsenal and RSB away in succession, deciding what to do versus Fulham nearer to the time.

Presuming Solanke and Origi aren't getting game time, and youth players aren't either, we have seven players for six midfield and forward positions until the injured players return.

Sturridge, Bobby, Shaqiri, Lallana, Gini, Hendo, Fabinho.

Slight issues in fielding 6 from this list is that it includes two 6's, no pacey wide forwards, whilst Bobby is wasted wide.

In defence, I'd go strongest of the 7 fit ones at Huddersfield and against RSB - TAA Lovren Gomez Robertson - then maybe use Matip and Moreno at home to Cardiff.

[email protected]

Mane's had an operation, doubt he'll be playing this weekend.

We'd be unwise to field anyone with anything that can be aggravated.

After four matches without a win, there's no room for slippage.

We need three wins and a draw in the PL and two wins in the CL.

As I said previously, any dropped points to Red Star and we could find we're a poor result to PSG or Napoli from going out of the CL.
Tbh mate, if it comes down to Napoli just needing a draw when they come to us then they'd better have iron clad knickers. Brendan Rodgers and Basel aside, thems the kind of night this Club has owned and created legends out of. I see your concern but don't give yourself a hernia either.

RedForever2014

Tbh mate, if it comes down to Napoli just needing a draw when they come to us then they'd better have iron clad knickers. Brendan Rodgers and Basel aside, thems the kind of night this Club has owned and created legends out of. I see your concern but don't give yourself a hernia either.
Clearly we'd fancy ourselves, but obviously we'd prefer to be the ones for whom a draw would do in the final match.

You also never know what type of ref you'll get.

Anyways it'd be more a squeaky bum than a hernia and I'm a bit young for Tena pants. :-)

sms1986

I think we'll get four points from the Red Star matches, winning at home and drawing away.

As for the domestic games, I think we'll win three and draw at Arsenal.