• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nicolas Isimat-Mirin (CD) Valenciennes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Liverpool line up loan move for Gameiro to aid attack

Tony Barrett
Published at 12:01AM, January 1 2013

Brendan Rodgers hopes to sign the PSG forward on loan while there remain moves to re-sign Thomas Ince, the England Under-21 midfielder, from Blackpool.

Liverpool are ready to follow up their imminent capture of Daniel Sturridge with a move for Kevin Gameiro, the Paris Saint-Germain forward, as Brendan Rodgers looks to add experience to his attack.

Sturridge is expected to complete his £12 million transfer from Chelsea in the coming days and be registered in time for Liverpool’s FA Cup third-round tie away to Mansfield Town on Sunday. Although that acquisition will eat up the majority of Rodgers’s January transfer budget, the Liverpool manager is still looking to sign Tom Ince from Blackpool on a permanent basis and Gameiro on loan.

Gameiro initially emerged as a possible alternative to Sturridge when that deal stalled but should PSG agree to allow the 25-year-old France striker to leave before the end of the season, Liverpool will look to sign him.

Ince is still expected to return to Liverpool despite a disagreement over his value, with Blackpool holding out for a fee in the region of £6 million. Should a deal not be completed this month, however, Liverpool are prepared to wait until the summer when Ince’s contract expires and his fee would be set by an FA tribunal.

Rodgers is also interested in Nicolas Isimat-Mirin, the 21-year-old Valenciennes centre back. The Liverpool manager would need to generate funds for that, a situation that could lead to the departure of Sebastián Coates, who is interesting Napoli, Juventus and Lazio.

Queens Park Rangers asked Liverpool if they would let Coates go out on loan but that request was rejected and the Uruguay defender will only be allowed to leave if a significant offer is received. Joe Cole is expected to sign for QPR after his hopes of rejoining Lille were dashed.

Liverpool have taken steps to prevent the further spread of a virus that prevented Rodgers from attending their 3-0 victory over QPR on Sunday after it also affected several players and members of staff. The first team were told to stay away from the club’s training ground yesterday.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article3644696.ece

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I read somewhere on Twitter that this Mirin lad is a ball playing defender, that he's a product of that famous Clairefontaine football academy and that he would come very cheap (I think that an article in The Telegraph said that it would take about two or three million pounds to get him). That's about everything I managed to come up with about him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
You missed that Newcastle are also apparently interested in him ;-p

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Another one for the unreliable rumours thread.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Well, if it's true that his CB partner, Gil, is headed back to Brazil this January, then maybe we can sign a pre-agreement to take him in summer? Would probably take a relatively large offer to take away their 2nd CB in the same window, and would serve us minimal utility since he won't be getting games with us this season anyway and may be best served goin on loan anyway.

Would make sense to push for him if we assume we'll have a lot of competition by summer. Spurs and other London clubs have other French speaking players to lure him there, we do not (other than maybe Gameiro on loan which may not end up permanent anyway).

Of course if we sell Coates in January, we would want to keep this new guy here. Shame if Seba's career here is already over...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I doubt that we will sell Coates unless, as the article states, a huge offer is received. After all, we would have probably sold Danny Agger if a huge offer was made. Seba is a talented lad but not getting chances because of Agger - Skrtel partnership. After all, it's much more risky and difficult to break apart a CB than FW partnership - just look at MUFC's defence of last calendar year.

If this Mirin lad comes in, Seba should move out on loan. Hopefully Mirin is a bargain for us, we really need to break that French curse bestowed upon us by Houllier's dealings in France.

S

Sgt. Pepper

After all, it's much more risky and difficult to break apart a CB than FW partnership - just look at MUFC's defence of last calendar year.
ManU's defense had many injuries that forced rotations.
What's our back line's excuse for the last calendar year poor "form"?
I'd have no qualms breaking apart our entire back four (Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel & Reina).
Unfortunately the changes necessary will take time to accomplish.

OhYaBeauty

ManU's defense had many injuries that forced rotations.
What's our back line's excuse for the last calendar year poor "form"?
I'd have no qualms breaking apart our entire back four (Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel & Reina).
Unfortunately the changes necessary will take time to accomplish.
Don't know where you're getting that our back line has been in poor form this calendar year. Last season they were arguably the best defense in the league, and so far this season they have been mistake-prone, but still a pretty good defense.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Getting the feeling there is a 2+2=5 situation going on here.

Think the club is looking at young centre backs as long term targets for our fourth choice CB.

Also think a lot of clubs are probably looking at Coates and may even make an offer we can't refuse for him because he is a top talent and able to play as a starter for a lot of teams whilst he is just back up here.

However think its more likely that our interest in young CBs is because Carragher is approaching retirement.

Coates would step up from 4th choice to 3rd choice and we would need to bring somebody in for 4th choice (not sure Sama or Wilson are ready yet).

If somebody offers big enough money for Coates we would probably sell and bring in two young talented CBs instead of just one.

S

Sgt. Pepper

Don't know where you're getting that our back line has been in poor form this calendar year. Last season they were arguably the best defense in the league, and so far this season they have been mistake-prone, but still a pretty good defense.
Are we talking about the same calendar year? 2012? When we conceded 50 goals in 39 games? 11 loses in 19 games in Kenny's second half of last season, the run of games which got him fired?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
not sure Sama or Wilson are ready yet

Wondering whether we can start using Kelly or Wisdom as CB?If one of them can be used, then we need not bring in any one for a 4th choice CB.
Both of them will get some game time also so that their development will be on track.
Also Flanno may start getting some time at RB as 3rd choice RB.
Not sure CB is one of the positions that need our immediate attention.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Wondering whether we can start using Kelly or Wisdom as CB?If one of them can be used, then we need not bring in any one for a 4th choice CB.
Both of them will get some game time also so that their development will be on track.
Also Flanno may start getting some time at RB as 3rd choice RB.
Not sure CB is one of the positions that need our immediate attention.
We can't rely on them as they've never really played there for the first team. Kelly's injured too much and I don't think Wisdom is currently good enough, I'd rather we brought someone in than use players who aren't quite of the required standard.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We can't rely on them as they've never really played there for the first team. Kelly's injured too much and I don't think Wisdom is currently good enough, I'd rather we brought someone in than use players who aren't quite of the required standard.
Atleast untill the end of this season, we have 4 CBs which should be enough for the current campaign.
Next season is when we will be with 3 CBs. Kelly will be up and ready by then.Agree your point that both are really untested as CBs in first team - but both are going to be CB some day, then why not groom them(atleast one of them) now.
Since we are discussing about 4th choice CB we can atleast wait till Summer, right? For the current window if we are working on less budget - every single penny matters and this transfer and that of Ince just baffles me. We need to get 2 forwards who can slot into the first team right now and push Sterling and Suso to bench. That has to be the primary target for the current window.

OhYaBeauty

Are we talking about the same calendar year? 2012? When we conceded 50 goals in 39 games? 11 loses in 19 games in Kenny's second half of last season, the run of games which got him fired?
The defense had nothing to do with Kenny's sacking; it was the lack of goals scored that resulted in most of those losses

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Yeah and Agger was injured/out for almost 2 months as well.

Have to imagine we are more actively trying to find a new club for Danny Wilson but we won't be getting offers from Serie A for him, hence the newspaper attention for Coates. Surely we are not actively trying to sell him and it would only be if a very attractive offer came in, or so I'd hope.

Sweeting

Coates out on loan for 1st team action, Mirin in to replace Carra... Coates back as 3rd choice next season and Mirin out on loan for 1st team football?

Both become viable 1st/2nd choice option at around 24 years old when Agger and Skrtel are both in 30's.

S

Sgt. Pepper

The defense had nothing to do with Kenny's sacking; it was the lack of goals scored that resulted in most of those losses
During that second half of last season we were 8th in fewer goals conceded, alongside Wigan & WBA. I wouldn't say one half of the pitch functioned well while the other dis-functioned. The blame should be spread equally. We have a mid-table back line. We know the fate most of our attackers suffered after last season and I'm expecting the defense to go through the same overhaul. I understand that you can't replace an entire team in one swoop (as Hamburg demonstrated) but once Rodgers feels good about his attack it'll be time to attack the defense.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
During that second half of last season we were 8th in fewer goals conceded, alongside Wigan & WBA. I wouldn't say one half of the pitch functioned well while the other dis-functioned. The blame should be spread equally. We have a mid-table back line. We know the fate most of our attackers suffered after last season and I'm expecting the defense to go through the same overhaul. I understand that you can't replace an entire team in one swoop (as Hamburg demonstrated) but once Rodgers feels good about his attack it'll be time to attack the defense.

I expect you'll be disappointed so

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
We have a mid-table back line. We know the fate most of our attackers suffered after last season and I'm expecting the defense to go through the same overhaul. I understand that you can't replace an entire team in one swoop (as Hamburg demonstrated) but once Rodgers feels good about his attack it'll be time to attack the defense.
Your comment only makes sense if I assume Rodgers won't feel good about his attack until 2016. Why are you neglecting the fact that Agger was injured for part of that poor run you mention; the entire team was rubbish for that period, we stopped caring about the league after the Arsenal loss.

Tell me, which defenders do you rate more highly in our league? My opinion:

Johnson- best RB in the league.

Agger- best LCB in the league.

Skrtel- top four RCB in the league.

The weak link is Jose Enrique who is either amazing or awful. Best LB in the league, first half of last season, then one of the worst in the 2nd half. Call him mid-table, if you like, but to say the entire back line is mid-table is ridiculous.

You saying you'd rather trust our back line to 22 year olds? Or are you expecting Chiellini to ditch the best team in Italy for us..? Maybe you just don't like attacking fullbacks...would ya like Stoke's back line over here?

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Why are you neglecting the fact that Agger was injured for part of that poor run you mention; the entire team was rubbish for that period, we stopped caring about the league after the Arsenal loss.
It wasn't just Agger, Johnson was also injured during that period. From March 3rd (The Arsenal match) until March 21st we had 4 league matches where we had to play Kelly and Carra (Coates one of those matches) instead of Johnson and Agger. Then Kelly got injured as well and we had to play Flanagan, so we were missing Johnson, Agger and Kelly. Johnson and Agger didn't come back until April 14th, they were missing for 9 straight PL matches.

blaze

Faith.
Valenciennes have signed a defender called Sankhare from Dijon so could sell Isimat Mirin

S

Sgt. Pepper

Your comment only makes sense if I assume Rodgers won't feel good about his attack until 2016.
He won't make it until 2016 if that'll be the case.

Why are you neglecting the fact that Agger was injured for part of that poor run you mention; the entire team was rubbish for that period, we stopped caring about the league after the Arsenal loss.
Stopped caring? How's that a viable excuse?! If anything it adds sin to a crime. What was the defense's excuse for not showing up against a poor, eventually relegated, Bolton? We had Reina-Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique at the back looking out of sorts.

I know there were injuries, I'm not neglecting. This season we had a much steadier back line in terms of first choice appearances, haven't we? So please tell how is that some of those make-shift back lines conceded 1.23 goal per game and the current back line conceded 1.28 goals per game this season. Surely if they are superior, more familiar with each other, they would show even a small decimal improvement on last season's horror show?

Tell me, which defenders do you rate more highly in our league? My opinion:

Reina - N/A
Yeah, he's also part of the rear guard and has been a shadow of himself ever since Benitez and Valero were mutually laid off. Great keeper on his day but those days have been few and far between. If he can't perform at the level we know he can under 3 different set-ups then maybe it will be best for both sides to move on.

Johnson- best RB in the league.
Massively overrated. Sagna, Ivanovic, Zabaletta, Richards, Rafael, Walker are all either better or at his level.

Agger- best LCB in the league.
Love him to bits, my favorite player, but the injuries took their toll. He's still our best defender but not the one he could potentially have become. I'd keep him as the mature head in a transitioning defense.

Skrtel- top four RCB in the league.
Most inconsistent defender I've seen. Can give you a top class flawless performance in one game and look like Djimi Traore in the next. He's here 5 years now and out of them he gave 2-2.5 good years and the rest just average. We deserve better.
You saying you'd rather trust our back line to 22 year olds? Or are you expecting Chiellini to ditch the best team in Italy for us..? Maybe you just don't like attacking fullbacks...would ya like Stoke's back line over here?
Can this paragraph be any more childish?
No, I'm not deluded thinking we can lure Chiellini. No, I don't want Shawcross, Huth or Wilkinson.
I do like attacking fullbacks but I think that playing with two on the same team is suicidal.
Trusting 22-year-olds with our back line? Why not? Age isn't everything. As I recall, Agger had Drogba in his back pocket at Anfield in the return leg of CL Semi-final aged 22.
Dortmund trusted two 20-year-olds simultaneously to be their yellow wall and that didn't turn out quite so bad, did it? In fact they're the two most wanted defenders in the world. Not saying we'd definitely be that lucky but you get the point.
We won't be able to afford to pay other clubs to do the grooming for us so often. That's something we'll have to do ourselves. If it's with Coates, Kelly, Mirin or other players... a change has to come. Not instantly but I'd like to see 2-3 new faces there in the first XI come next season.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
It wasn't just Agger, Johnson was also injured during that period. From March 3rd (The Arsenal match) until March 21st we had 4 league matches where we had to play Kelly and Carra (Coates one of those matches) instead of Johnson and Agger. Then Kelly got injured as well and we had to play Flanagan, so we were missing Johnson, Agger and Kelly. Johnson and Agger didn't come back until April 14th, they were missing for 9 straight PL matches.
Further more, we didn't have a true consistent CDM for the whole calender year. No matter how good our back 4 is, if we have Spearing, Gerrard, Hendo or even Allen as our only CDM, we will still shipped goals as back 4 is vulnerable without midfield protection.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I'm happy to admit when our players get overrated.

Johnson makes mistakes which cost goals, granted. Yet I've never seen him get completely dominated like Walker and Rafael have. Think it was Walker vs United last season that sticks out in my mind, and Rafael vs Reading this season (where he had to be dragged off within half an hour was it?)

Not going to bother arguing the rest because if you think either of them are on the same level on Johnson then you've clearly got some sort of agenda, or you're just trolling. Hard to choose between the two given your posting history.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm happy to admit when our players get overrated.

Johnson makes mistakes which cost goals, granted. Yet I've never seen him get completely dominated like Walker and Rafael have. Think it was Walker vs United last season that sticks out in my mind, and Rafael vs Reading this season (where he had to be dragged off within half an hour was it?)

Not going to bother arguing the rest because if you think either of them are on the same level on Johnson then you've clearly got some sort of agenda, or you're just trolling. Hard to choose between the two given your posting history.
For me, even more impressive is Johnson's attitude towards his team mates. He has taken on the role as mentor with some of the young players in the side. Watching him with Sterling this season, and Allen against Sunderland was impressive.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
I agree that both Agger and Skrtel are two good enough defenders but I also argue that the two of them together doesn't work very well at times.

Actually, I think that could be said of our back 4, all of them good enough players. Individual mistakes will happen and with us that means the opposition scores.

A boss is needed at the back, could be a new keeper, a new CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.