• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nicolas Isimat-Mirin (CD) Valenciennes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Eddie according to the Echo Coates is going out on loan because he is highly rated and they want him playing regularly to develop properly so he is fully ready when Carra steps down.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Eddie according to the Echo Coates is going out on loan because he is highly rated and they want him playing regularly to develop properly so he is fully ready when Carra steps down.
In that case, then why waste money on this fella then? Wisdom and Kelly are both central defenders anyways. They are made to play fullback because our pairing is way too strong to dethrone and we are short in that department as well.

Our plans or rather the recruitment plans from the manager made it looked as if our youth and academy has nobody in there and he is rebuilding them. Rafa did enough already, and Rodgers should concentrate more of today rather than next 5 years.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
In that case, then why waste money on this fella then? Wisdom and Kelly are both central defenders anyways. They are made to play fullback because our pairing is way too strong to dethrone and we are short in that department as well.

Our plans or rather the recruitment plans from the manager made it looked as if our youth and academy has nobody in there and he is rebuilding them. Rafa did enough already, and Rodgers should concentrate more of today rather than next 5 years.
Well as you say we are short at full back, Kelly is injured, Carra is running down the clock, Sama/the other kids are aways from first team participation, Wilson...err yeah. So if we are going to let Coates go on loan we may be leaving ourselves short there and no guarantee we will be covered there long term. This guy is supposed to be cheap so cheap cover but young enough that you never know he may be the next Skrtel or Agger.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Well as you say we are short at full back, Kelly is injured, Carra is running down the clock, Sama/the other kids are aways from first team participation, Wilson...err yeah. So if we are going to let Coates go on loan we may be leaving ourselves short there and no guarantee we will be covered there long term. This guy is supposed to be cheap so cheap cover but young enough that you never know he may be the next Skrtel or Agger.
We are short of fullback, so we went ahead and buy centerback for cover? Does that sound wise to you?

Reactions: TFC

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We are short of fullback, so we went ahead and buy centerback for cover? Does that sound wise to you?
Yes if you still consider Kelly and Wisdom talented young fullbacks who have yet to be tested at centre back even if there is a belief they will end up there at somepoint in their careers. Put it this way move Coates out on loan and Agger picks up a knock and is out for 6 weeks who do we play? Carra an Skrtel first choice but who is back up or playing the cup games? Sama? Wisdom? Wilson? Whilst if another fullback gets injured (already two injured) we have Flanagan and Robinson who have already played in those positions for the seniors and Ryan McLaughlin will anyday now as he is playing fantastic. We are apparently only looking at this guy for if we decide to loan out Coates to keep 4 senior proven centre backs in the squad.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
ARD that makes more sense. Put into the context of Rodgers highly rating Coates, and wanting to get him games on loan ASAP, this January push for Isimat Mirin is logical.

But we are buying the lad for years, not months, so I wonder if Martin Kelly is not rated very highly as a central defender.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
ARD that makes more sense. Put into the context of Rodgers highly rating Coates, and wanting to get him games on loan ASAP, this January push for Isimat Mirin is logical.

But we are buying the lad for years, not months, so I wonder if Martin Kelly is not rated very highly as a central defender.
Maybe right. At start of season I thought Kelly was first choice RB and Johnson first choice LB. Maybe thats plan for next few years? How long do people think Skrtel will be at the club? 2-3 more years? That would be my guess. Then maybe Kelly or Wisdom move central option and McLaughlin step up to be second choice?

Now:
Kelly-Skrtel-Agger-Johnson
Wisdom-Carra-Mirin-Enrique
In a year or so:
Kelly-Skrtel-Agger-Johnson
Wisdom-Mirin-Coates-Robinson
Couple years after that:
Wisdom-Coates-Agger-Robinson
Mc'lin-Kelly-Mirin-Smith

A lot can change and some players may not live up to potential, Johnson may not be happy at LB, other academy graduates may come good and some players may leave and others be bought. But thats rough guideline on what I would think may happen.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Did Kelly end up signing an extension? If not, how many more years does he have on his contract?

Tbh, I hardly consider Kelly reliable cover for anything until he proves he can stay healthy for any considerable length of time.

If we are going to get a defender in so that we can loan Coates out, he might as well be one for the long term as well.

SGM

TIA Legend
I think it could also be said the same to what we are doing right now, being ridiculous. We are looking to ship out Coates because the manager doesn't think he is good enough, even though in games he played he did rather what was expected of him as a young centerback, defend well. But we want to ship him out anyway, because he does not fit into the system supposedly, and to look at buying this fella because he apparently suits the system

If we get this fella, and he didn't fit right in what are we going to say? Oh give him time because he needs to learn the new system the team he is now in and/or use. Same like your comment on Borini, he needs a little time. While having patience for a player is well and good, then why can't we have a little patience for Coates?

We seems happy to give time to selective players, players that was handpicked by the new manager and regime, one that now showed they didn't do such a great job in their recruitment process. Yet, those that was recruited before his time should be shipped out. They don't warrant the same length of period that is now being given to the players mentioned, they don't need a little time.

To me this would be another mistake if we were to go ahead and buy this player. Coates played for his national team against the likes of Messi and Co, while this Mirin fella is still playing against kids (U-21). They are 1 year apart and French league defending isn't exactly top notch when you saw Joe Cole taking them on last season, like he was still 26.

In terms of performance, Coates edged him with a goal for his first team appearance for his national squad, while Mirin has none. For club, Mirin has 1 goal in 31 games while Coates made his mark in the league with only 10 games played. So why send Coates out while buying this fella? I just don't get it.
I never mentioned Coates eddie.

But why shouldn't the manager get his say? If the owners stepped in and said "no, give Coates more time" there would be the most absurd outrage and correctly so. It's the managers squad, and while he might not have yet earned our trust, we don't really have a choice. Dani Pacheco has always done well in games, but no manager has given him a chance. Point being we don't get to see what happens in training daily, and some players just can't adapt.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Well I'd like to see Coates go on loan to at least get a run of games. I like him as a player and while he is quite slow in a way, he's excellent on the ball. I do echo the sentiment that he is shocking in the air. He loses aerial duels with players half a foot shorter.

Isimat-Mirin: labeled as physical and a decent reader of the game, but how is he in the air? Anyone know? It's OK if Coates is lacking in this regard (Agger is lacking as well) if the other defender can cope...I suppose

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I never mentioned Coates eddie.

But why shouldn't the manager get his say? If the owners stepped in and said "no, give Coates more time" there would be the most absurd outrage and correctly so. It's the managers squad, and while he might not have yet earned our trust, we don't really have a choice. Dani Pacheco has always done well in games, but no manager has given him a chance. Point being we don't get to see what happens in training daily, and some players just can't adapt.
Nothing to do with the owners and there is no mention of them at all. To me, as I have said, we needed cover in the fullback position, why loan a centerback out and buy another one? It does not add up. Nothing to do with the owners. And there is also no mention of Pacheco in my post as well, so where did that come from?

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I've been scratching my head about this for awhile Eddie. We clearly need a LB, but we've been repeatedly linked to CB's while we haven't been linked to a single LB that I can think of.

I'm fine with the plan to sign this guy, and loan out Coates so he can return next season as our 3rd choice CB. What I'm not fine with is not addressing an immediate concern. 6 weeks without Enrique and the long term injury to Kelly leaves us relying very very heavily on an injury prone player (Johnson).

I'm at a complete loss as to why we aren't looking to sign a cheap fullback who can help with a little depth.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
If Coates is good enough for the current Uruguayan National team, he is certainly good enough to cover our existing CB's.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If Coates is good enough for the current Uruguayan National team, he is certainly good enough to cover our existing CB's.
I think the idea is not for him to be good enough to just cover.

For a top team you shouldn't really have two centre backs who are sure picks every week.

Need three quality centre backs pushing each other and competing for the two starting spots then you need cover options below them in the order.

Personally think we need somebody pushing Skrtel and Agger but Carra is too old to be serious competition and Coates is too unpolished.

If loaning him out for game time till end of season allows him to play week in week out and get to point were he is pushing for starts so Skrtel and Agger have to keep on their toes to maintain their starting roles then long term it could be really beneficial.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm a bit surprised that we didn't get this lad after all the news from the press pointed out to this deal being a sitter. Who knows, we might be pursuing someone else in the summer. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.