• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Nicolas Pépé (RW) Lille OSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikz200

Thing is club shouldn't be annoyed about this kind of thing, we have been linked with tons of players before. It could also mean they want to avoid a similar fiasco like Fekirs medical and not send out signals that the transfer is close till the medical is done. of course it could also mean they have no interest in Pepe and just don't want to be used to help increase the price of the player. Still seems very weird they need to signal out this transfer and not the Fernandes link in comparison

Flobs

FADA
Thing is club shouldn't be annoyed about this kind of thing, we have been linked with tons of players before. It could also mean they want to avoid a similar fiasco like Fekirs medical and not send out signals that the transfer is close till the medical is done. of course it could also mean they have no interest in Pepe and just don't want to be used to help increase the price of the player. Still seems very weird they need to signal out this transfer and not the Fernandes link in comparison
Don't you think it means that we assured another club we weren't in for Pepe yet info kept coming out that we were. Our relation with hypothethical club is such that we go angry about the info. Poor from us as is does sound angry and gave too many details just a rebuff would have done. imo
From my quick searcing I would hazard the said club is Dortmund but it could be another with which we are in negociations with for a 'similar' player.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Don't you think it means that we assured another club we weren't in for Pepe yet info kept coming out that we were. Our relation with hypothethical club is such that we go angry about the info. Poor from us as is does sound angry and gave too many details just a rebuff would have done. imo
From my quick searcing I would hazard the said club is Dortmund but it could be another with which we are in negociations with for a 'similar' player.
You randomly mentioned Dortmund yesterday as well. Any reason why?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Well, no - Dortmund wouldn't need us to say it publically as we have a good relationship with them.

The key info is the conversation with the manager - which possibly implies agents are making mischief and a lack of trust in his own board.?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Its not the being linked to thats the issue. We may have been asked by Lille to speak out..

Flobs

FADA
Well, no - Dortmund wouldn't need us to say it publically as we have a good relationship with them.

The key info is the conversation with the manager - which possibly implies agents are making mischief and a lack of trust in his own board.?
What if we wish to keep a good relationship with Dortmund?
Did you understand what I said/suggested. I will clarify later if you didn't, sorry I haven't the time right now.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
What if we wish to keep a good relationship with Dortmund?
Did you understand what I said/suggested. I will clarify later if you didn't, sorry I haven't the time right now.
Then telling Dortmund we have no interest should be sufficient, no? I dont see why they would need us to make it public.

Flobs

FADA
Then telling Dortmund we have no interest should be sufficient, no? I dont see why they would need us to make it public.
Nor me which is why I don't understand the 'anger' which accompanied our (LFC's) statement. It just doesn't make much sense in any way.
All I can think of is that Lille kept using LFC to drive up the price and Dortmund? wished an end of it LFC thought this the most viable way. Why would LFC stick their necks out like that for another club, just to stem romurs mkes it even less probable.
Btw I came out with Dortmund as I could only think of 2 clubs we might help like this Dortmund and Southampton (our feeder club) only Dortmund of those 2 have been linked with Pepe who is also a bit expensive for Southampton.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Nor me which is why I don't understand the 'anger' which accompanied our (LFC's) statement. It just doesn't make much sense in any way.
All I can think of is that Lille kept using LFC to drive up the price and Dortmund? wished an end of it LFC thought this the most viable way. Why would LFC stick their necks out like that for another club, just to stem romurs mkes it even less probable.
Btw I came out with Dortmund as I could only think of 2 clubs we might help like this Dortmund and Southampton (our feeder club) only Dortmund of those 2 have been linked with Pepe who is also a bit expensive for Southampton.
But why do you think the message via the media was for the benefit of a club other than Liverpool or Lille? You're the only one that has suggested it is for a 3rd party (Dortmund) and now you're saying "it just doesn't make much sense in any way". You seem to be dismissing a theory that you yourself proposed.

The most likely reason for the particularly pointed denial is the one I gave on the previous page. [Not saying that is the reason, just what I think is the most likely]

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think we have zero interest in Pepe and Fernandes.

Since Jurgen came to the club theres not much leaking now.

I follow some of these so called ITKs - - for pure comical value. They know nothing. They back track. When things dont work out they say oh yeah i knew that.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Yes, I think there would only be anger if:

1. We are really in for the player, as the anger would be directed towards whomever is leaking the information.
2. The rumour effects specific players in our current squad, for instance, maybe squad members have been told that their involvement is not going to be blocked by new additions.

I personally feel that if we are not interested in a player we shouldn’t care as the price would be inflated for our competitors, especially it’s a team from the epl.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yes, I think there would only be anger if:

1. We are really in for the player, as the anger would be directed towards whomever is leaking the information.
2. The rumour effects specific players in our current squad, for instance, maybe squad members have been told that their involvement is not going to be blocked by new additions.

I personally feel that if we are not interested in a player we shouldn’t care as the price would be inflated for our competitors, especially it’s a team from the epl.
The 'anger' you refer to is probably two things - one a slight miscommunication - Reddy has probably been told that the story is 'pure lies' but the way she has repeated that has led to people taking a factual statement and interpreting it as an emotional one.

Secondly, if Edwards has had to speak to a manager at another club to tell them we have no interest in signing Pepe this summer - then that has probably been requested by Lille and we have done so to maintain cordial relations with a club we may wish to deal with at another point in time. There is either a rogue agent pretending to be acting on our instruction, or the players agent stirring up interest in the player while upsetting the club,

We probably dont care about the price the player goes for, nor about our club being linked to players (as it also works in our favour to hide our real targets) but if we have given someone assurances and then it appears we have gone back on those then that is something we have to act upon.

SadiosMio

Was very much not good against Morocco. Didn't do much in attack, and didn't help much in defense as much of Morocco's attack came down the left.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Liverpool don’t comment on transfer rumours, so I tend to think this strong denial probably has something to with the relationship between the two clubs.

Perhaps this is mischief making by the agent/player, the club have blamed LFC, and LFC (with an eye on the previous transfer ban) wanted to completely exonerate themselves.

Esoteric

I don't think ANYTHING is more important to Jürgen Klopp than keeping his players happy. I think contentment is the foundation upon which he is able to build an unwavering self belief in his players. Talk of this player or that player coming in could send out ripples of uncertainty to the squad, particularly with many of them being away from home right now and far from Klopp's reassuring hugs. I can see Klopp getting teeth jarringly angry by unfounded rumour or by leaked info getting out before he's had a chance to introduce his latest thinking to the squad. It doesn't surprise me at all that the club are coming down quick and hard to deny any false or premature rumour that seems to carry some credibility - Klopp doesn't want that kind of negativity permeating his squad. Also, we don't know what discussions and assurances may have already been made to players in order to extend their current contracts. I might be a bit of a giddy romantic, but this does offer another slant on the club's reaction to the Pépé rumour.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
lol metro reporting Arsenal have submitted a bid for Pepe.

vjcpatriot

I really wouldn't mind Pepe on our right wing with Salah shifting to CF. However if Reddy says there's no deal, I'm inclined to believe her.

There are probably other options out there for cheaper, some less reknowned player who might turn out to be a good candidate for rotation with our front 3. For example Timo Werner has not been categorically denied yet to my knowledge.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Maybe being discussed in another thread but now it's being "Tweeted" (including one questionable bald head chap) that Pepe's camp is in discussions with Manchester United on a 70M transfer. This is laughable on multiple levels. The more his story unfolds it smells of a player who is trying desperately to engineer a move to any PL club. And if for some reason United do land the player for 70M there shouldn't be any Liverpool supporter under the sun that should feel as though we lost out. That would be one of the worst pieces of business in years. And again, I like Pepe. Take my word, United can have him for 70M.

GaryBarlow99

Maybe being discussed in another thread but now it's being "Tweeted" (including one questionable bald head chap) that Pepe's camp is in discussions with Manchester United on a 70M transfer. This is laughable on multiple levels. The more his story unfolds it smells of a player who is trying desperately to engineer a move to any PL club. And if for some reason United do land the player for 70M there shouldn't be any Liverpool supporter under the sun that should feel as though we lost out. That would be one of the worst pieces of business in years. And again, I like Pepe. Take my word, United can have him for 70M.
Think it is probably Lille who are trying to engineer the move for as much money as possible. Would imagine there have been a few enquiries but clubs have been put off by the price. I could see him moving in the next couple of weeks for about £50m.

jackh1092

Think it is probably Lille who are trying to engineer the move for as much money as possible. Would imagine there have been a few enquiries but clubs have been put off by the price. I could see him moving in the next couple of weeks for about £50m.
Agreed. Lille are more than likely looking to create a bidding war. No mission UTD spend 70mill on him personally. I reckon they are failing miserably to drum up interest from multiple sides.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I really wouldn't mind Pepe on our right wing with Salah shifting to CF. However if Reddy says there's no deal, I'm inclined to believe her.

There are probably other options out there for cheaper, some less reknowned player who might turn out to be a good candidate for rotation with our front 3. For example Timo Werner has not been categorically denied yet to my knowledge.
I dont see how that helps us. The issue with the forward line is we lack options on our left. Bringing in Pepe doesnt change that. We already have cover in the centre and on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.