Nike kits for the win (hopefully)

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Nothing against Nike. They supply for a ton of teams and country's can't all be awful and bland,

Let's wait and see where they come up with before we pass judgement.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Nike are equally as capable of producing something great and producing something forgettable.

I'm cautiously optimistic for now, and looking forward to what they come up with.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
According to all the talk (and the reason they've committed to giving us so much money) Nike want to push us as not just a football team but a brand. Think how everyone in American movies seems to wear Yankee caps and such. As such I can't see Nike doing something that is just a bland "just another Nike football kit" cut and paste job. I'm legitimately hoping for real special kits that they hope to use as the foundation for an industry topping clothing label. My only fear is if they take that too far and get too creative and wacky, remember some of the more out there Warrior kits? We have an image already, a look and a feel to us. They just need to tap into, market and define that not start at the drawing board and come up with fresh, zany ideas of what it means to look like Liverpool.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
As already said: I don't think it's a good move. Yup, top dollar for sure. Maybe the chance to sign a star eventually. But the success of this club isn't built on buying ready-made stars anyway. And Nike is just a totally shit enterprise. The quality of our shirts will nosedive significantly, while being manufactured by children in third-world-countries. That is not something worthy to look forward to, in my humble opinion.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
According to all the talk (and the reason they've committed to giving us so much money) Nike want to push us as not just a football team but a brand. Think how everyone in American movies seems to wear Yankee caps and such. As such I can't see Nike doing something that is just a bland "just another Nike football kit" cut and paste job. I'm legitimately hoping for real special kits that they hope to use as the foundation for an industry topping clothing label. My only fear is if they take that too far and get too creative and wacky, remember some of the more out there Warrior kits? We have an image already, a look and a feel to us. They just need to tap into, market and define that not start at the drawing board and come up with fresh, zany ideas of what it means to look like Liverpool.
I think Lebron James posted something about x Reds coming soon - basically a collaboration with him once nike takes over. PSG have one with Air Jordan etc...

Just more commercial, sells more gear. Gives LFC more cash to spend as it sees fit.... increases the value of the club, more players want to come to us, we attract more audiences, etc etc.

Not a huge fan of Nike, but I Love that Liver Bird - and if it means that more players like Alison and VVD come in (when they are required and only real option) - we have the cash to do it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As already said: I don't think it's a good move. Yup, top dollar for sure. Maybe the chance to sign a star eventually. But the success of this club isn't built on buying ready-made stars anyway. And Nike is just a totally shit enterprise. The quality of our shirts will nosedive significantly, while being manufactured by children in third-world-countries. That is not something worthy to look forward to, in my humble opinion.
Are there any big corporations that aren't morally bankrupt? Apart from the option of playing in the buff I don't think we can ignore the necessity of working with someone we would probably prefer not to. They are all shades of grey, it's not worth trying to argue which ones are the darker shades so this means this club or that club are on a moral pedestal. It's just a shit, dark world we live in and the rich pray upon the poor to become more rich. Till the world changes what are we to do? As a club we need to exist within it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Are there any big corporations that aren't morally bankrupt? Apart from the option of playing in the buff I don't think we can ignore the necessity of working with someone we would probably prefer not to. They are all shades of grey, it's not worth trying to argue which ones are the darker shades so this means this club or that club are on a moral pedestal. It's just a shit, dark world we live in and the rich pray upon the poor to become more rich. Till the world changes what are we to do? As a club we need to exist within it.
Nike have become a symbol since long for everything which is wrong with current multinational business these days. Just as an example, they have been proven to knowingly subcontract work to companies using child labour in work shops, in Pakistan among other countries. The wages for these people, adults or children, are ridiculous. It's slavery, there's no way around it.

Read Naomi Klein and her book No Logo. Although it's not a novelty anymore (it came out in 2000), most in this book is still accurate, unfortunately so. By the way, I recommend Naomi Klein to everyone wanting to inform him/herself about these things.

You're of course right, nothing is entirely black and white. But I'd still call Nike's business activities as in the dark grey zone. I honestly can't tell for New Balance, but I'd be interested if someone can shed light on them.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We don't have a choice mate. When sky invented football, we didn't move along into marketing stuff and got stagnated for quarter of a century. We either move along or we get left behind.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Nike have become a symbol since long for everything which is wrong with current multinational business these days. Just as an example, they have been proven to knowingly subcontract work to companies using child labour in work shops, in Pakistan among other countries. The wages for these people, adults or children, are ridiculous. It's slavery, there's no way around it.

Read Naomi Klein and her book No Logo. Although it's not a novelty anymore (it came out in 2000), most in this book is still accurate, unfortunately so. By the way, I recommend Naomi Klein to everyone wanting to inform him/herself about these things.

You're of course right, nothing is entirely black and white. But I'd still call Nike's business activities as in the dark grey zone. I honestly can't tell for New Balance, but I'd be interested if someone can shed light on them.
Here’s the most recent Human Rights Watch article on the subject.

iftikhar

Here’s the most recent Human Rights Watch article on the subject.

It happened in my country :(