• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Now that they BELIEVE us, WHEN will we win the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
I have to admit, I thought the coronavirus was an Everton creation to stop us winning the league. MY first thought when I heard the league was being stopped was "sh+++t, Ive been waiting for 30 friggin years, and now??"
The Euro championships start around 20th June, I think that should be abandoned and the time used to finish the respective NAtional leagues which are far far more important.
An alternative is a duckworth lewis football version- used a mathematic algorythm to work out results based on form etc etc, then give liverpool the title. I mean is so obvious we would have won it....

LincsRed

Reading the Guardian today, they mention Swedish ice hockey have ended the season with no champion. Not quite the multibillion pound commercial force that the PL is.... but put me on edge again

richieh10

The season HAS to be finished. Too much shit riding at both ends of every league table. With clubs very existence in the balance in some cases I’m sure.

here’s how you do it.

with 10 games left (slightly higher in some divisions) you’d only need 1 month of playing a game every 3 days to get it done. (5/6 weeks in leagues where there are more than 10 games left. So let’s say for example we re-started 1st May, the PL season would be done by the end of the month. Other leagues and play offs go into first 7-10 days of June. Players have a 2-4 week rest and it’s back in for pre season, with leagues potentially kicking off mid to late August and playing Saturday Wednesday Saturday for the first few months (where possible).

For this to happen a few other common sense things would need to happen

scrap the FA Cup for this season
Scrap the European competitions (looks like it’s going to happen with some countries on complete lockdown anyhow)
Postpone the Euro’s for 12 months

If it even come down to it you could scrap the play offs and just have the top few automatically go up.

there are no problems guys - only solutions.

I am so fucking fed up of relegation threatened clubs and clubs who have under achieved this season and missing out on their season goals calling for the season to be voided.

so fucking tin pot I tell you.

richieh10

I gotta be honest I almost wouldn’t want the title to be given to us and the season null and voided.

it won’t be real without actually winning it, trophy lift, fans going MENTAL.

Na not for me if it is given to us then it will just feel
fake.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I gotta be honest I almost wouldn’t want the title to be given to us and the season null and voided.

fake.
I fully expect that at some point the fixtures will be played, but I’ll taken awarding the title to us over voiding.

IndredCold

Yep, this season will be forever tainted no matter what happens. Even if we are declared champions, or play a few games behind closed doors before making it official, there will be no proper celebration!
This is one of the most cruel fates one could ever imagine being in.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
We need a football version of Duckworth lewis- Give EA sports the job of simulating the remaining fixtures, and bobs your uncle !"

Alternatively, and more realistically, the virus is set to rumble on even into next year, so I think at some point we should, indeed must finish this season. A season can be cancelled, but not made void in the middle of it. That can or could only happen if some error was made that effects some game and not others (e.g. if one team played with pitch that was too small ). But you cant void it because of an external problem. It has to be finished.

Problem is that I assume money will be the reason for whatever decision is made and sadly not football.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We need a football version of Duckworth lewis- Give EA sports the job of simulating the remaining fixtures, and bobs your uncle !"

Alternatively, and more realistically, the virus is set to rumble on even into next year, so I think at some point we should, indeed must finish this season. A season can be cancelled, but not made void in the middle of it. That can or could only happen if some error was made that effects some game and not others (e.g. if one team played with pitch that was too small ). But you cant void it because of an external problem. It has to be finished.

Problem is that I assume money will be the reason for whatever decision is made and sadly not football.
My understanding is a simulation was set up and our chance to win the league was something like 99.999907% or something :) So you know.. We've got a chance..

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Just read that if the season gets extended into June - we could be wearing the Nike kit when we are crowned champions.

Only good thing about this season with everything going on is that no one disputes who the PL Champions are. There are debates about who makes the Euro Champions places, relegation, promotion from the league below - but absolutely no discussion on who wins the league.

Wearing another kit in the same season seems weird.

LeoT

fake.

I feel the opposite.

I couldn't give 2 hoots about the fanfare , procession etc...
I just want us to win it.

Though I'd be sad if the records book said something like this.

2017-18 ManC
2018-19 ManC
2019-20 Liverpool (season incomplete)
2020-21 ...

That kind of comment would not be true reflection of the greatness of Liverpool this season, in which we are only 3/4 of the way through the season but we've already secured enough points to have won it most seasons.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Not only can I see this season not being completed but I think next season is now in serious doubt as well given the forecasts of 250,000 possible deaths.

My daughter who lives in central Paris now has to complete and carry a form to say where she is going and how long she will be out for. She said there are mounted police on the streets outside her window.

Last edited:

LeoT

Not only can I see this season not being completed but I think next season is now in serious doubt as well given the forecasts of 250,000 possible deaths.

My daughter who lives in central Paris now has to complete a form to say where she is going and how long she will be out for. She said there are mounted police on the streets outside her window.

CoronaVirus seems to be way bigger than many of us seem to recognise.
I'd be surprised if the death toll was as low as the 260K, some are mentioning today, some say we could see more than double that over a 1 year period.

So this time next year we could be roughly in the same state as we are now (except for the dear people among us that may have departed).
I don't think this season will be completed tbh.

Would be great if we could get the 1 game against ManC played, beat them, then we would be mathematical winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.