Now that they BELIEVE us, WHEN will we win the league?

richieh10

I think we’d be complaining about it if say for example we were only 2 points in front instesd
Of 20+... or if we were behind and had to play Man City at “home”

Red over the water

I think we’d be complaining about it if say for example we were only 2 points in front instesd
Of 20+... or if we were behind and had to play Man City at “home”
I think there’s scope for at least some clubs to complain no matter what way forward is found, but it seems the Prem just needs to find the least bad option and press on.

If clubs get their TV money and the games are played out, in as safe a way as currently possible - likely behind closed doors, neutral venues, then fair enough in the circumstances. A full season will have been played and what everyone achieved is thus revealed. We will know champions, CL, placings right down to relegation... then we draw a line under it and look to next season, with robust rules in place to cover incomplete seasons and so on.

The complaints for that sort of scenario are minor compared to other options. There might be some legal challenge, but hopefully not. At some point clubs need to work together to solve this, or the whole thing will collapse.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mmmm.... it's a tricky one. If there wasn't so much money at stake, there would be zero chance for the rest of the games to be played. But as it stands, it's so much money that clubs can't allow themselves to wave good-bye to it. They have literally no choice but to go ahead with it, also the relegation-threatened ones.

On the other hand, maybe it would indeed be better to avoid relegation this term. I can understand the arguments made by the relegation-threated clubs to be honest. Promote two teams from the Championship, and play next season with two more teams in the PL. There won't be international games for a long time, so maybe that might allow a few games more for next season.

But will next season be allowed to play out anyway? Tricky...

richieh10

Is the neutral venue argument there to try and ensure no fans travel?

coz if it’s not I really Don’t understand?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Maybe the first priority should be to ensure that all the teams get to equal number of games played. This probably rules out the "we've had the game in hand"

And then take it every gameday as it comes. I don't see the teams finishing all the matches anyway. So do all that can be done to ensure that at the end of every week , There are 10 games played , and then declare relegation or promotion based on the standings when the season has been called off. Not ideal for teams who aren't Liverpool, The teams who are fighting for relegation will need to treat every game as it's the last this season.

So there are 4 teams on 28 games with the rest on 29 games. Man City,Arsenal,Sheffield,Aston Villa , Man City have a fixture against Arsenal to be played , if that fixture can be moved up and played on priority , that will leave 2 teams on 28 games and the rest on 29 games. Look to GW31 to ensure that all teams end up on 31 games - At that point, The season should be safe to be curtailed atleast on Points Per Match if the situation turns south.

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Maybe the first priority should be to ensure that all the teams get to equal number of games played. This probably rules out the "we've had the game in hand"

And then take it every gameday as it comes. I don't see the teams finishing all the matches anyway. So do all that can be done to ensure that at the end of every week , There are 10 games played , and then declare relegation or promotion based on the standings when the season has been called off. Not ideal for teams who aren't Liverpool, The teams who are fighting for relegation will need to treat every game as it's the last this season.

So there are 4 teams on 28 games with the rest on 29 games. Man City,Arsenal,Sheffield,Aston Villa , Man City have a fixture against Arsenal to be played , if that fixture can be moved up and played on priority , that will leave 2 teams on 28 games and the rest on 29 games. Look to GW31 to ensure that all teams end up on 31 games - At that point, The season should be safe to be curtailed atleast on Points Per Match if the situation turns south.
Seems complicated. If the season were to end abruptly at anytime, like now - they could go back to 28 games and take that as the table. Or extrapolate to 38 games etc. Whatever they decide, it has issues.

Best thing is to get the remaining games played, but looks like 6 clubs are opposing the neutral venue option. I think 14 votes are needed for any idea to go ahead.

On a knife edge.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
If it's too risky to continue
Just terminate the league.
Declare the position by point per game.
If there is a tie, the go by goal difference.
It would be stupid to have no relegation.
I think points per game is the best way to decide now considering more than 2/3rd of the season would have been completed across all leagues in England.

Edit: it's bad luck for us, because we can hit 105+ points this season, probably the strongest team ever to have played the league.

richieh10

I disagree... if you call the league now teams in positions 5,6,7,8 (and anybody else within touching distance of 4th place) and teams in positions 18, 19 and 20 will, in my opinion go to the courts. Chances are that will happen in most leagues.
The only really thing that can be argued with any real conviction is that we would finish first.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If it's too risky to continue
Just terminate the league.
Declare the position by point per game.
If there is a tie, the go by goal difference.
It would be stupid to have no relegation.
I think points per game is the best way to decide now considering more than 2/3rd of the season would have been completed across all leagues in England.

Edit: it's bad luck for us, because we can hit 105+ points this season, probably the strongest team ever to have played the league.
Why prioritise games for a season that hasn't started as opposed to one nearly finished? What if a second peak happens and next season is disrupted too? Football will likely be played again at some point. Whenever that is the first games played should be the end of this season. Just wait till its safe, conclude the current season, have a short break and start the next. Probably waive the domestic cups for a year, unlikely to be international commitments and may even be no European games for a season too, or a shortened version with no groups and straight up knockout format from the off for less games.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

YNWA Intrepid reds Champions whatever happens ..
I am actually beginning to wonder if this is going to be the last ever season of EPL and if a new model is going to emerge from the wreckage..if the likes of the top 6 find it difficult to survive an extended lockdown with no matchday revenue then they are likely to seek pastures new (new revenue streams) if this lasts... The last ever EPL champions?? I fear for the beautiful game...especially in the event of renewed outbreaks.. if..if..if...that's all we are left with at the moment..whiles away a few more lockdown minutes anyhow...and how the fuck does social distancing work at a football match or the public transport to a football match? Do we shout through balaclavas ultra style...or politely do 'jazz hands'??
Has anyone set up a company selling N95 LFC face masks yet??? We could run a testing programme by yelling a lot into them and checking aerosol spread..... 'Come on you reds!!!'

Last edited:

richieh10

Can see the PL drop to 18 teams.

I gotta be honest I wouldn’t worry about social distancing at football matches.

fans won’t be allowed to gather at any sort of events until a vaccine is found is what I believe will happen.

how can you risk it until that’s the case?

this is what I don’t understanding about coming out of the lockdown.

when we eventually come out of the lockdown there is going to be a natural spike in the deaths again and a new “curve” begins.

this is here for a long time and I don’t just thinkthis season is in jeopardy but next season also

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Cant see it dropping to 18 teams tbh.
Broadcasters pay huge money because there are many viewers, more the games , more the viewers, more revenue from advertising for the broadcasters.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Cant see it dropping to 18 teams tbh.
Broadcasters pay huge money because there are many viewers, more the games , more the viewers, more revenue from advertising for the broadcasters.
There are at least two matches a week with tiny viewing audiences though that are not even available in most markets. Broadcasters are not paying the big money to broadcast the Bournemouth-Southampton derbies.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Broadcasters are not paying the big money to broadcast the Bournemouth-Southampton derbies.
Very crude way of looking at it.
A lot of the population watch games of teams that they dont follow. I watch all games over the weekend and so do most of my friends.
The more the teams, more the number of games, the longer the competition goes on, more viewers and so on..
Plus, the cup games dont really mean anything as the broadcasting rights of cup games are different from EPL.

To tackle the problem of teams playing 3 games in 7 days, or 4 games in 10, make the league a bit longer, I'd go like this:
Season resume mid August.
Winter break for 2 weeks.
End the season in mid june.

Players get winter holiday break, and a good 20 days rest before pre season.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
A lot of the population watch games of teams that they dont follow. I watch all games over the weekend and so do most of my friends.
I would love to see in-depth research to compare viewing habits of UK-based fans compared with overseas supporters.

I’m almost certain that the latter consume far more of the Premier League “product” in general, whereas domestic supporters are more focused on their team specifically.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Very crude way of looking at it.
The more the teams, more the number of games, the longer the competition goes on, more viewers and so on..
Plus, the cup games dont really mean anything as the broadcasting rights of cup games are different from EPL.

To tackle the problem of teams playing 3 games in 7 days, or 4 games in 10, make the league a bit longer, I'd go like this:
Season resume mid August.
Winter break for 2 weeks.
End the season in mid june.

Players get winter holiday break, and a good 20 days rest before pre season.
There are certainly people who do that, but you only need to look at the viewership numbers to realize that, Most weekends there are games that make up less than 1% of the total audience.

As an international viewer, you also sort of need to discard the idea that what you watch is particularly important. Domestic rights are 5:3 versus total international by value, which is a lot more than they used to be. Neither Canada nor India are particularly valuable markets relative to the number of viewers.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
There are certainly people who do that, but you only need to look at the viewership numbers to realize that, Most weekends there are games that make up less than 1% of the total audience.

As an international viewer, you also sort of need to discard the idea that what you watch is particularly important. Domestic rights are 5:3 versus total international by value, which is a lot more than they used to be. Neither Canada nor India are particularly valuable markets relative to the number of viewers.
I look at it this way,
More the number of match day, more revenue, more advertising.
It's like getting an extra days pay. When the number of teams drop 20 to 18, total match days drop from 38 to 34.
Domestically it's good, fans travel, spend money on hotles, transportation, restaurants.
Personally, I hate the period when there is no EPL, probably why I want more match days.

rab

I look at it this way,
More the number of match day, more revenue, more advertising.
It's like getting an extra days pay. When the number of teams drop 20 to 18, total match days drop from 38 to 34.
Domestically it's good, fans travel, spend money on hotles, transportation, restaurants.
Personally, I hate the period when there is no EPL, probably why I want more match days.
This season we had to play two games in the space of 24 hours. The last thing the league needs is more games, especially if it's just filler and adds little value.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
On the other hand, maybe it would indeed be better to avoid relegation this term. I can understand the arguments made by the relegation-threated clubs to be honest. Promote two teams from the Championship, and play next season with two more teams in the PL.
There isn’t a title challenge. I think Sky have a shit fit if relegation is taken off the table as well.

rab

So scrap the stupid carabao cup.
And replace it with two games against Leeds and two against West Brom? No thanks.

League Cup is a crap competition but does give you a chance to give squad players and kids a chance to play.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
You can’t scrap relegation.
Sky and Bt plus the other 100s of broadcasters have said that if that happens where’s the drama in the remaining games? The race for 5th?
They have said they would adjust the tv money as without relegation the season is effectively over.
What’s left of this season needs to be how we set out at the start. Champions, race for top 4 and bottom 3 down.
If it takes longer to complete then so be it and you adjust next season by losing league and fa cup.

the Prem League are waiting for Sunday’s announcement before saying anything but they could’ve least come out by now and say IF we resume the bottom 3 go down as normal and if we don’t resume the bottom 3, however it’s worked out, go down.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
You can’t scrap relegation.
Sky and Bt plus the other 100s of broadcasters have said that if that happens where’s the drama in the remaining games? The race for 5th?
They have said they would adjust the tv money as without relegation the season is effectively over.
What’s left of this season needs to be how we set out at the start. Champions, race for top 4 and bottom 3 down.
If it takes longer to complete then so be it and you adjust next season by losing league and fa cup.

the Prem League are waiting for Sunday’s announcement before saying anything but they could’ve least come out by now and say IF we resume the bottom 3 go down as normal and if we don’t resume the bottom 3, however it’s worked out, go down.
But the neautesl venues aren’t fair on Brighton. They still have Liverpool, City, United and Arsenal at home. They had banked on 12 points from that run.

Magnus

It is a partisan shit show all of this. Just cynical and/or emotional self interest everywhere. I am just convinced that no club, ours or anyone else, should have any say in this, because no one is objective least of all fans. It is just shit all of it.

Me, I am obviously hoping for what most of us are hoping for, playing the rest of the games in the season. It would make us proper champions and feel and look much better. At the same time, I don't even know if it is right, if the season should even resume or how. But one thing I know is that "neutral venues are against the integrity of the game", well that argument is worse than shit and whoever peddles it knows it themselves !