Now that they BELIEVE us, WHEN will we win the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
And replace it with two games against Leeds and two against West Brom? No thanks.

League Cup is a crap competition but does give you a chance to give squad players and kids a chance to play.
The why did u cringe about us playing 2 games in 23 hours when clearly the league cup is for squad players and kids?

rab

The why did u cringe about us playing 2 games in 23 hours when clearly the league cup is for squad players and kids?
Maybe it's because the manager, coaching staff and most of the squad players were on a different continent whilst leaving the kids to be lambs to the slaughter.

It's about the number of games players are expected to play, not the competition. Listen to the manager, he's been very vocal about the demands being placed on players.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Maybe it's because the manager, coaching staff and most of the squad players were on a different continent whilst leaving the kids to be lambs to the slaughter.

It's about the number of games players are expected to play, not the competition. Listen to the manager, he's been very vocal about the demands being placed on players.
Then why I am wrong to say, the league should have 20 teams, a winter break and extending till june mid , and the carabao cup being scrapped?

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Then why I am wrong to say, the league should have 20 teams, a winter break and extending till june mid , and the carabao cup being scrapped?
Your not wrong it's your opinion. I would like to keep the Christmas schedule but I have no problem with scrapping the carabao cup and all international breaks. I would love to see summers without internationals and the players getting proper rest.

rab

Extending to mid June would mean most years players going straight into an international tournament.

Scrapping the league cup would be welcomed by some teams but not others. Personally, I'd have Premier League teams declare a 23 squad for that cup with a minimum number of homegrown players so fans know who is likely to play. It forces clubs to give youngsters a chance whilst increasing chances of teams other than City or whoever Mourinho is managing winning it.

Think we've fallen off topic here though

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Anyway..... Angela Merkel has given the nod to the league restarting in Germany so that's the green light to leagues all around Europe. As for the clubs protesting at the idea of playing at neutral venues, that'll be the bottom six and the Prem needs 14 clubs in favour to pass a motion. So screw the bottom six!

I still think the logistics will be too complicated though. In Germany games will be played home and away. Easier logistics but I don't know how they'll deal with crowds gathering outside grounds? Alsatians and tear gas maybe?

Cologne-Liverpool

Anyway..... Angela Merkel has given the nod to the league restarting in Germany so that's the green light to leagues all around Europe. As for the clubs protesting at the idea of playing at neutral venues, that'll be the bottom six and the Prem needs 14 clubs in favour to pass a motion. So screw the bottom six!

I still think the logistics will be too complicated though. In Germany games will be played home and away. Easier logistics but I don't know how they'll deal with crowds gathering outside grounds? Alsatians and tear gas maybe?
Apparently it's all groovy here in Germany now, no need to worry.(y)

richieh10

Bundesliga restarting a week Saturday then.

Im gonna need a team to support.

is there a team whose ethos is aligned to Liverpool?

Dortmund seem the obvious choice

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Bundesliga restarting a week Saturday then.

Im gonna need a team to support.

is there a team whose ethos is aligned to Liverpool?

Dortmund seem the obvious choice
Anyone but Bayern basically.
Although I do love their left back. Alphonso Davies.

Red over the water

14 votes needed on Monday, bottom 6 seem resolute against neutral venues. Spurs are well known to want the season voided too, so I doubt it will be a clean 14v6.

Hopefully the vote is a bit of a multiple choice affair.

A. Play out the season, neutral venues to avoid thousands gathering
B. Season to be declared complete, all teams wound back to same quantity of games (28) then a simple PPG average is calculated so full standings revealed, with champions, relegation, and everything in between.

With the presumed loss of TV income for less games played, plus the die being cast on the basis of 28 league games played by all, I suspect the whiners about neutral venues may suddenly decide to go for it.

rab

14 votes needed on Monday, bottom 6 seem resolute against neutral venues. Spurs are well known to want the season voided too, so I doubt it will be a clean 14v6.

Hopefully the vote is a bit of a multiple choice affair.

A. Play out the season, neutral venues to avoid thousands gathering
B. Season to be declared complete, all teams wound back to same quantity of games (28) then a simple PPG average is calculated so full standings revealed, with champions, relegation, and everything in between.

With the presumed loss of TV income for less games played, plus the die being cast on the basis of 28 league games played by all, I suspect the whiners about neutral venues may suddenly decide to go for it.
If the bottom six are resolute against the neutral venues idea then they'll need to come to the table with some other ideas because the TV companies, FA and most of the other clubs aren't going to accept no relegation or vote to void the season given the losses that will likely incur.

I'd be surprised if Spurs were still staunchly in support of voiding it now UEFA have made it clear that they want European qualifiers to be based on the merits of this season. Their only hope with voiding it was that they would get back into the CL. That new stadium and Jose's huge wages need paying somehow so I'd be amazed if they didn't opt for whichever option sees them get the most money and that isn't going to be voiding it.

Can't remember the podcast but on one of them, someone made the point that the bottom six are essentially banking on the fact that another guaranteed season in whatever the PL season looks like next season will be worth more to them than any outstanding TV payments due this season and that is their driving force. However, for the other 14, playing it out is far more appealing financially with calling it as it stands being the second-best option for all but the bottom three on a PPG basis.

You categorically state that removing relegation is off the table, then either

A) the bottom three will come in line with 14 others and want the games played so they have some chance to escape. All the TV money gets paid and everyone bar the eventually relegated teams are happy but at least there's some additional revenue coming into clubs.

B) the PPG option gets the support of the other three in the bottom six making it 17 to 3 in any vote but every club, even those being relegated lose out financially from reduced/returned TV money.

And in that sense, once they are told relegation will be happening, they'd all be idiots not to vote to play it out.

Red over the water

Well reasoned, cheers. I think the options and ramifications will be narrowed, such that playing it out is the least bad option. I think we're still at the stage where clubs are trying it on, but hopefully Monday's meeting will bring some clarity as to the way forward.

Magnus

Well, let us all just wish the Germans the very best in terms of not re-igniting infection rates, I know I do.

But when they now start up, I think I am not the only one who will selfishly watch a few football games. I hope what they do is the right thing to do, but when they first do it, I am going to enjoy it by watching a fair few games.

Cologne-Liverpool

Well, let us all just wish the Germans the very best in terms of not re-igniting infection rates, I know I do.

But when they now start up, I think I am not the only one who will selfishly watch a few football games. I hope what they do is the right thing to do, but when they first do it, I am going to enjoy it by watching a fair few games.
Tbh, given the latest developments here, the Bundesliga restarting is pretty much the least of my concerns when it comes to infection rates...And since we're currently not even using half of our testing capacity available, the excessive Bundesliga testing isn't a major concern either...
Won't be thrilling to watch without the crowds, but better than nothing. Probably dream numbers in international audiences as well...

Red over the water

It's a weird one, because we should be cautious in opening up, both in the timing and also how we do that... but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't excited at the prospect of some footy to watch. It can be a nice warm up for when the Prem gets rolling again. Come on!

Magnus

Tbh, given the latest developments here, the Bundesliga restarting is pretty much the least of my concerns when it comes to infection rates...And since we're currently not even using half of our testing capacity available, the excessive Bundesliga testing isn't a major concern either.
Won't be thrilling to watch without the crowds, but better than nothing. Probably dream numbers in international audiences as well...
It will be much duller without a crowd indeed, but it's still competative football on a high level (though I predict teams and players will be rusty) so it will do :)

Magnus

And @Cologne-Liverpool , you are right of course, it will have negligible effect on anything like infection rates, since crowds are not allowed. Worst thing that could happen is a few players getting infected (not saying that is not bad though), but it won't have much to say for the infection rate of the country. And professional sportsmen are also in a nice job, given that they will be tested like few others, so I am leaning towards this being okay, as far as anything is okay during these times.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I know we don't know what will happen or when.

But let's say the leagues resumes around mid-June as the rumours say. Is it likely that there won't be any parade when we win it, or?

Of course, it will be hard or almost impossible for them to prevent certain open gatherings in the city? I imagine there will be lots of control. Hard to imagine what that will look like to be honest.

I have no idea what to do (got my money back from accomodation and will get flight refund too), will keep my options open for possibly going to Liverpool at that time if I can. I know I might not be there in person with this situation, but I don't want to completely write it off while there's a chance.

jaffod

I know we don't know what will happen or when.

But let's say the leagues resumes around mid-June as the rumours say. Is it likely that there won't be any parade when we win it, or?

Of course, it will be hard or almost impossible for them to prevent certain open gatherings in the city? I imagine there will be lots of control. Hard to imagine what that will look like to be honest.

I have no idea what to do (got my money back from accomodation and will get flight refund too), will keep my options open for possibly going to Liverpool at that time if I can. I know I might not be there in person with this situation, but I don't want to completely write it off while there's a chance.

I don't think there's any chance of a parade. I'd settle for a mass piss-up in town around Christmas but even that seems unlikely at this point.

RedYank

Our state is allowing reopening of restaurants/pubs 21 May. Might not be the same as before (distancing of tables and such), but will be great to be back!

Until then...go on, Wolfsburg!

(Hopefully, no offense to our German friends here supporter-wise. I have no real knowledgeable interests: I simply love VW's! :) )

Cologne-Liverpool

Our state is allowing reopening of restaurants/pubs 21 May. Might not be the same as before (distancing of tables and such), but will be great to be back!

(Hopefully, no offense to our German friends here supporter-wise. I have no real knowledgeable interests: I simply love VW's! :) )
Wow, that makes you the second Wolfsburg supporter I know... ;)
Embarassingly enough the other one is a nephew of mine...Let's not talk about that though...

Commando

Ad-free Member

“I was born there.” “My Dad came from there”. “I went to uni there”.

I’ve heard all sorts of reasons for following a football team, but I love a car brand?
:LOL:(y):geek:

RedYank

“I was born there.” “My Dad came from there”. “I went to uni there”.

I’ve heard all sorts of reasons for following a football team, but I love a car brand?
:LOL:(y):geek:
Had 4 Beetles way back when—loved them like children (only car I was ever successful at working on totally myself). Sentimental journey! :)

(no derailment of thread—I know there is already a car memory one in Away End!)

I also like Wolfsburg’s kits in general! Back on topic:LOL:

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member

So do my parents. It was their very first car as newlyweds. I used love sitting in the boot of the car as a kid, as i could see everything on the road. Our car was a regular traveller to European Alps. It never once broke down. I miss those cars.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Today is the day we should’ve played Chelsea in the final home game of the season.. The day when the Premier League trophy would’ve been presented in front of a packed Anfield. The weather is perfect as well, a beautiful sunny day. I had this day all mapped out, months ago. I was going to leave the car at home and catch the bus, so I could have a couple of pints before the game. Arrive earlier than usual, so I could soak up what was going to be a carnival atmosphere around the stadium before watching the reds batter the Chavs, then lift the trophy for the first time in thirty years. Then continue the celebrations for long time into the night. But a magical day has been denied us through no fault of our own.
I’m going to leave it at that because I might go into a rant. So stay safe everyone and hopefully the football will be back sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.