• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ones That Got Away

igor_piss_can

Bit of a vice versa on the recent 'Bullets Dodged' thread (apologies for the plagiarism) - Players who we were linked with, that could have taken us up a level or two, but we narrowly missed out on signing.

I'll start off with a few

Alexis Sanchez - Would have slotted in perfectly to the Suarez shaped hole we had in 14/15 (albeit he wasn't quite as good as Luis). Think we would have easily made top 4 with him in the side, although in hindsight maybe if we hadn't fallen apart the way we did, we probably wouldn't have sacked Rodgers and hired Jurgen, and we probably wouldn't be Champions of Europe for the 6th time!

Simao - Remember us being linked with him for a good 18 months around 2005 & 2006. We were desperate for a right midfielder in that 05/06 season (Even though Gerrard had arguably his best season filling in in that position). Didn't end up being a total world-beater but still a good player & I think he could have done a good job for us

Dani Alves - Linked around the same time as Simao, for what seemed like a similar prolonged period of time. Did feel like we were a whisker away from signing him. Think he joined Barca not long after our interest died out, he then went on to be arguably the best right back in the world for a good decade or so. Think he's also the most successful footballer in History in terms of major trophies won? So... Yeah

Anelka - Signed him on loan in the second half of the 2001-2002 season - great deal at the time to get a player of his quality on loan. Had the option to make it permanent at the end of the season but we opted for Diouf instead. The capitulation started not long after...

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Ronaldo - offered to us before he went to United

Michael Laudrup - done deal that we tried to change the terms at the last minute /welched on

Nemanja Vidic - could have signed him, opted instead for Skrtel

Sergio Aguero - turned down the chance to snap up this boyhood red before he went to Atletico

igor_piss_can

Ronaldo - offered to us before he went to United

Michael Laudrup - done deal that we tried to change the terms at the last minute /welched on

Nemanja Vidic - could have signed him, opted instead for Skrtel

Sergio Aguero - turned down the chance to snap up this boyhood red before he went to Atletico
Was reading about the Ronaldo saga a while back, apparently he was requesting huge wages for someone of his age so we decided against it. Would have been a drop in the ocean to what he could have brought to the team! Didn't know that about Aguero either

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Cantona and schemeichel were apparently snubbed by Souness.
And Kenny come have come back as manager in the early 90s but was snubbed also.

I remember heinze was close but fergie didn’t want it. He was just what we needed as well.

Herb

Could dedicate an entire thread to those we missed out under Rafa due to a lack of funds or him preferring to have two players rather than one, eg Kuyt and Pennant over Dani Alves.

Willian and Diego Costa are two more recent ones. Reckon Costa would have done all our heads in but Willian has been a fairly decent player for Chelsea and would have provided us with some pace which we severely lacked at the time.

I was young at the time but looking back at it I cannot understand why wouldn’t have signed Anelka. Seems like it was a no brainer?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Could dedicate an entire thread to those we missed out under Rafa due to a lack of funds or him preferring to have two players rather than one, eg Kuyt and Pennant over Dani Alves.

Willian and Diego Costa are two more recent ones. Reckon Costa would have done all our heads in but Willian has been a fairly decent player for Chelsea and would have provided us with some pace which we severely lacked at the time.

I was young at the time but looking back at it I cannot understand why wouldn’t have signed Anelka. Seems like it was a no brainer?
Houllier preferred Diouf :-(

Actually, who were those strikers we enquired about before we ended up signing Carroll? I know one was Llorente (possibly another mention for the 'bullets dodged' thread), but I'm sure there was one other who was actually good.

I guess there's Loic Remy as well, would have been a decent enough signing at that time in our development.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Salah, when he was willing to come here first time, in January 2014. Basel had laid out the asking price, which was roughly £10m. Everything was ready, the player willing to come. And then Ayre thought it was a smart move to renegociate the asking price... Result: Basel ended talks with LFC, and Salah went to Chelsea for £11m, as his second choice... :rolleyes:

In Salah's case, everything turned out well in the end, but looking at the long list of quality players we missed out on over the years, because of similar fuck-ups, is a dismal sight... :-(

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Salah, when he was willing to come here first time. Basel had laid out the asking price, which was roughly £10m. Everything was ready, the player willing to come. And then Ayre thought it was a smart move to renegociate the asking price... Result: Salah went to Chelsea for £10m. :rolleyes:

In Salah's case, everything turned out wekll in the end, but looking at the long list of quality players we missed out on over the years because of similar fuck-ups is a dismal sight... :-(
I think fee was a bit more than that, but yes.

Although, Salah might have needed that Chelsea/Fiorentino/Roma to be player we have now.

Hope in your heart

Admin
I think fee was a bit more than that, but yes.

Although, Salah might have needed that Chelsea/Fiorentino/Roma to be player we have now.
Yes, f*ck knows how he'd have been 'educated' by Rodgers at the time... (yeah my wrong, fee was 11m in the end).

Hope in your heart

Admin
I still think about Houllier deciding against signing Anelka in favour of Diouf
That was a horror move and certainly one of the negative key moments in Houillier's time with us. Also, didn't he sell Fowler during the same summer, or was it the previous one?

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Think Rafael van der Vart and Negredo would have been great signings under Rafa, but we had the two clowns in charge at the time so I don’t know how likely the signings really were.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Joaquin (Rafa was heavily rumoured to be in for him some twelve years back), Alexis Sanchez and Dele Alli for me. Alexis Sanchez in particular, he could have softened the blow of losing Suarez and was by far the closest player to him in terms of style and work rate. I also think he wouldn't have kept Rodgers in job, FSG would have still pursued Klopp and Sanchez' form wouldn't have tailed off this badly. In hindsight, Alli perhaps wouldn't have been the player he is today and maybe he wouldn't have played in his best role in this Liverpool side but on the flip side, maybe Klopp would have turned him into a Firmino-like striker, who knows?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Houllier preferred Diouf :-(

Actually, who were those strikers we enquired about before we ended up signing Carroll? I know one was Llorente (possibly another mention for the 'bullets dodged' thread), but I'm sure there was one other who was actually good.

I guess there's Loic Remy as well, would have been a decent enough signing at that time in our development.
We enquired about Aguero again (instead of Carroll) but were knocked back. Imagine Suarez and Aguero together?

This would say differently. Liverpool we’re speaking to him but then Manure swooped in.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-liverpool-nemanja-vidic-11694445.amp
Yeah, Vidic didn't turn us down as such - as was fairly common at the time, we dithered and our delay allowed United to swoop in.

Mascot88

Admin
Yes, f*ck knows how he'd have been 'educated' by Rodgers at the time... (yeah my wrong, fee was 11m in the end).
Oh right. I though we’d agreed £8m and then Basle suddenly wanted 15m, and we refused. Chelsea swept in and got it done.

Edit: I was thinking of the overall fee, with clauses met (which would have been £16m), which given how it planned out for him there, they probably weren’t

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
That was a horror move and certainly one of the negative key moments in Houillier's time with us. Also, didn't he sell Fowler during the same summer, or was it the previous one?
I think Fowler went mid-season, and Anelka came in on loan until the end.

igor_piss_can

Joaquin (Rafa was heavily rumoured to be in for him some twelve years back), Alexis Sanchez and Dele Alli for me. Alexis Sanchez in particular, he could have softened the blow of losing Suarez and was by far the closest player to him in terms of style and work rate. I also think he wouldn't have kept Rodgers in job, FSG would have still pursued Klopp and Sanchez' form wouldn't have tailed off this badly. In hindsight, Alli perhaps wouldn't have been the player he is today and maybe he wouldn't have played in his best role in this Liverpool side but on the flip side, maybe Klopp would have turned him into a Firmino-like striker, who knows?
Dele Alli! Wasn't a meeting arranged with Gerrard to try and convince him to sign but Stevie slept through it?

Reminds me of the rumour of Memphis Depay visiting Rodgers' home in 2015 & B-Rod challenging him to a bench press competition lol

Not sure how much truth is actually in that but it's hilarious nonetheless

igor_piss_can

Carlos Tevez is another I can remember us being linked with on a few occasions. Firstly in 2007 (Although at that time I think it was either him or Torres & it's safe to say we made the right choice). Remember us being linked with him again around 2012 when he started to cause problems at City - Tevez and Suarez would have been some pairing. Believe we were linked with him a final time again around 2015 when he left Juve, probably wouldn't have been the best deal at the time due to his age but think he still could have done a job for a couple of years

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I heard it differently, Liverpool made a play for Vidic but he turned them down as he knew Manure were away to make a move for him.
There's how I remember it being reported and the player himself I think said the same.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I am sure rodgers turned down VVD as he didn't think he could cut mustard in the EPL!

BigJon

I still think about Houllier deciding against signing Anelka in favour of Diouf
I agree that Anelka was a class player and I hoped at the time his signing would be made permanent. There were some issues regarding his brother acting as his manager / agent if I recall. There had been some bad blood between Anelka, his brother and a previous team - maybe it was Arsenal I cant recall right now. Think that had a major impact on his signing or not, with Houllier wanting to steer clear of any difficulties with the player and his representation. Mind you I could have dreamt all that!