• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ones That Got Away

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I agree that Anelka was a class player and I hoped at the time his signing would be made permanent. There were some issues regarding his brother acting as his manager / agent if I recall. There had been some bad blood between Anelka, his brother and a previous team - maybe it was Arsenal I cant recall right now. Think that had a major impact on his signing or not, with Houllier wanting to steer clear of any difficulties with the player and his representation. Mind you I could have dreamt all that!
He had a couple of brothers that regularly stirred shit at each of his clubs, iirc. I think the Anelka non-deal mainly looks a terrible decision based on the fact we ended up with Diouf... had we signed a better player instead we probably wouldn't really think about that one too much today.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
As well as Joaquin at the time, I remember Darijo Srna's agent often mentioning Liverpool. Modric was another one (though Spurs would always have the advantage at the time due to their connection to Luka's agents/Dinamo Zagreb's entourage), though perhaps Rafa didn't first saw him as a CM, maybe more like someone between the lines.

Not sure in which of the two threads to put this, but does anyone else remember Houllier wanting Rivaldo after he left Barca? I think we were twice linked with him, when he went to Milan and before he left for Olympiakos. I still have it somewhere in my LFC articles that I collected at the time before having internet!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Oh right. I though we’d agreed £8m and then Basle suddenly wanted 15m, and we refused. Chelsea swept in and got it done.

Edit: I was thinking of the overall fee, with clauses met (which would have been £16m), which given how it planned out for him there, they probably weren’t

LFC wanted to pay 8m, Basel wanted 10m. The negociation lasted for months, and all personal terms were agreed. Ayre had the whole month of January to conclude a deal, but he was probably hoping that Basel would give in at the last minute of the January transfer window. But then Chelsea came in with an 11m offer*. Basel then allowed Salah to speak with Mourinho. Ayre then gave in and offered 11m himself, but it was too late. Basel told him to do one and Salah went for Chelsea.

This is the story I read in relatively trustworthy Swiss media at the time. These were quite near to Basel and to the player, so I think it's not too far from the truth.

* the fee differs depending on which article you take. Some say it was 10m upfront with clauses, others 11m or 12m. In any case, clauses were certainly involved.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I can't believe none of us remembered that The one that got away is... Mbappe! Of course, he'll sign for Liverpool and everything will be alright but in the meantime, he's The one that got away. lol

:((

StevenAlonso

Going by rumours we were interested in Kevin Debrune .. Same was the case with Robben - we could have signed him before Bayern Munich as Madrid were offering him to all top clubs..

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
On Villa, I remember we were first mentioned with him when he was still at Zaragoza. Didn't have a clue who he was. I believe Rafa then wanted to get rid of Cisse (after that first season, he was Houllier's signing anyway) and get him in as replacement. Then we tried again when he was at Valencia.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Delli Ali. I absolutely believe if he had come to Liverpool, he would have been the new super star at Anfield. If only, the Chief Executive added the extra £1 million and Gerrard woke up from his nap and met him, Ali would be playing for the Reds.
And under Jürgen, who knows what heights Ali would have reached in his career.
I can't over this one still.

Last edited:

Nur der BvB09

Mats Hummels and Marco Reus are the 2 Players i d have loved to see playing under Klopp in LFC couple of years before. They make in Sleep all Klopp wants from them. Hummels has the same game intelligence equal to Big VvD and Reus is a workoholic midfielder

Last edited:

Red over the water

We had a choice of Pallister or Glen Hysen. Hysen wasn’t the worst cb we’ve had by any means, but Pallister was one of the best of the Prem era, and he helped to put some steel into the early Man Utd teams under Ferguson, helping to kick start and establish their period of sustained success. Arguably it could have been us, with one or two judicial signings - Schmeical, Pallister and a bit later, Keane and we’d be on about 25 titles by now.

Switching clubs, when Gazza left Newcastle we could have signed him. He went for the famous bright lights of London and unfortunately it ruined him. He may still have developed a drink problem had he come to us, but I’d like to think he’d have found a better balance.

Danny_

How did that happen, I thought Souey and Roy understood each other better than anyone. lol
I think we spent the money on Nigel Clough as far as I remember. And we sold Beardsley. Christ, when I think back to the devastation that guy caused, my blood still boils. I suppose we shouldn't forget how great a player he was for us though.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think we spent the money on Nigel Clough as far as I remember. And we sold Beardsley. Christ, when I think back to the devastation that guy caused, my blood still boils. I suppose we shouldn't forget how great a player he was for us though.
Too young for that time, but always asked myself why did we sell Beardsley to Everton? Mascott still can't get over it!

Frank Worthington, sublime player who inexplicably failed a medical. Had a great career, would have had a massive career at LFC.
Never heard of him, just googled him, what a long career. He's been everywhere.

Would love to hear more about players we almost signed from past times. That Laudrup story I know. Didn't know about Gazza, Denis Law, Jack Charlton. Any more of that high profile?

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Too young for that time, but always asked myself why did we sell Beardsley to Everton? Mascott still can't get over it!

Never heard of him, just googled him, what a long career. He's been everywhere.

Would love to hear more about players we almost signed from past times. That Laudrup story I know. Didn't know about Gazza, Denis Law, Jack Charlton. Any more of that high profile?
Frank Worthington was a fantastic footballer but liked a bevvie. Michael Laudrup same old story - transfer fee.

Lou Macari chose Manure over LFC - He would have made a great addition to our reserve side according to Shanks!

Danny_

He has one bad year where he wasn't that great and Souness thought he was finished. Souness, great player that he was, was terrible at identifying talent and didn't know what he had. Strange isn't it

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Frank Worthington was a fantastic footballer but liked a bevvie
Shoot magazine did a player profile every week and asked the player to name their best eleven.....
Frank named a team of traders from the markets in Birmingham!! Shanks regretted not signing him, he was probably one of the best players of his time.

Last edited:

Alex

since 2004
This has to top it. That one decision by Houllier may have changed the course of history.

Also, as bad maybe was Souness passing on Roy Keane.
As far as i remember, the ronaldo transfer did not happen because of the fee or wage of the player.
Houllier actually wanted to sign him.

Danny_

As far as i remember, the ronaldo transfer did not happen because of the fee or wage of the player.
Houllier actually wanted to sign him.
Houllier didn't want to sign him unless we could get him on the cheap. Back in those days, the manager had the final much more than today. There were no transfer committees etc and we didn't even have a director of football.

But then, Houllier and attacking talent were kind of like polar magnets. If he got too close to a good attacking player, he found a way to push them away from him. He was great at picking out good defenders though.

Last edited:

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I remember being gutted when Marcel Desailly chose chelsea over us when he left Milan. I think he said at the time that he had given his word to chelsea by the time we got involved. Immense player at either CB or CM. Tough as nails but also a great footballer.

Nikola

Admin
Speaking of those who got away - and it will be an unpopular choice - how about Sterling? Obviously, he could hardly be doing better than he is already doing but imagine him in Klopp's Liverpool. I presume that him staying would mean that Benteke would have been seen in a Liverpool shirt but perhaps one of Mane or Salah wouldn't either, I guess... But he'd be a 20+ goals per season winger under Klopp as well, I'm sure of that, and he's a rarely diligent young, wide player, too.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Speaking of those who got away - and it will be an unpopular choice - how about Sterling? Obviously, he could hardly be doing better than he is already doing but imagine him in Klopp's Liverpool. I presume that him staying would mean that Benteke would have been seen in a Liverpool shirt but perhaps one of Mane or Salah wouldn't either, I guess... But he'd be a 20+ goals per season winger under Klopp as well, I'm sure of that, and he's a rarely diligent young, wide player, too.
We'd need a new thread, "players we've sold but shouldn't have!"

Beardsley
Fowler
Alonso
Mascherano
Suarez
Sterling
Souness

Nikola

Admin
We'd need a new thread, players we've sold but shouldn't have!
Haha, I assume it wouldn't be a particularly long one! :-) Between him leaving and Sanchez and Alli not coming, we ended up with Balotelli, Lambert and Borini. Man, that thought should be put in spoiler brackets, I don't want anyone to fall ill or hurt themselves after reading this.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
This is a hell of a lot easier to read after the season we had.

Salah has commented many a time about the hunger that came after the move from Chelsea that he wanted to prove a point.

I think the 90's and 00's signings as well as the 10's signings are mostly gutting.

I would say Ronaldo (fat free) one would be my most gutting one, Anelka was the most gutting at the time as it was known to us, many of the rest we only found out years later.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Salah has commented many a time about the hunger that came after the move from Chelsea that he wanted to prove a point.
True. He says openly that going to Italy and while being there, he always had in mind to return to the PL. Let's hope he's not already preparing a move while he's here (of course, Fiorentina and Roma can't compare with us). Or better to say, as those are things you can't control, let's hope we are well prepared for that possibility (like we were with Coutinho) in the next year or two.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
True. He says openly that going to Italy and while being there, he always had in mind to return to the PL. Let's hope he's not already preparing a move while he's here (of course, Fiorentina and Roma can't compare with us). Or better to say, as those are things you can't control, let's hope we are well prepared for that possibility (like we were with Coutinho) in the next year or two.
Toe be fair he is genuinely regarded as a success over there, players will want to leave from time to time even if we are successful but I have a feeling no one wants to after June the 1st. I'm glad Sturridge got a medal, I know he didn't play much of a role (Though he did score against PSG), but yeah he deserves something from his time here.