Ousmane Dembele (LW/RW) Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Liverpool in competition with Borussia Dortmund for £28m Ousmane Dembélé

• Jürgen Klopp has spoken to 18-year-old in bid to bring him to Anfield
• Dispute between Rennes and player’s agent complicating transfer

Liverpool have been offered encouraging signs in their pursuit of Ousmane Dembélé, with Jürgen Klopp’s side now competing against Borussia Dortmund to sign the French teenage sensation from Rennes in a deal that could be worth almost £28m.

Having scored 12 goals in his first season as a professional, Dembélé revealed on Tuesday that he will play his last game for Rennes this weekend, before adding that “he knows where he is going”. Given the 18-year-old’s previous assertions that he would prefer to continue his career in the Bundesliga, that has been widely been interpreted as evidence the forward will be signing for Dortmund having visited their training ground with his mother and representatives last month.

However, with European giants Barcelona and Bayern Munich also having scouted Dembélé heavily this season, it is understood that Liverpool have moved into serious contention in the race to sign him, with Rennes asking for a fee potentially worth €35m (£27.6m) with add-ons. Dembélé is believed to have spoken to Klopp on the phone this week and is said to have been impressed by his plans for the Europa League finalists, although it is not clear when a decision will be made.

The situation is further complicated by a potential legal wrangle between the club and his long-term representative. Rennes are understood to prefer to sell Dembélé to Dortmund, who have already indicated that they would be willing to meet their valuation having previously had a smaller bid rejected.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Leicester have also been linked with a move for the forward who became the youngest-ever to score 10 goals in Ligue 1 earlier this season and was voted young player of the year last week.

However, Dembélé has admitted he is not interested in joining the Premier League champions. “I had Claudio Ranieri on the phone,” he told Ouest-France. “I was surprised to hear from him, I told him that I will not go to Leicester. He does not speak very good French.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ompetition-borussia-dortmund?CMP=share_btn_tw

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I'm not even going to pretend to have an opinion of Dembele.

I know nothing about him and have never seen him play.

It's good to read that Klopp's been on the phone. I think we will see a massive change in our ability to secure the targets we want, unlike when Rodgers was around. If there's money to be spent, I feel we'll get the men Klopp wants. No more missing out (Willian, Salah, Mickyryan, Costa etc).

When Matrial signed for Man U I didn't know anything about him, and I still think his fee was crazy, but he's doing well at United. If we sign this lad I hope he does similarly well.

We do need wingers as we're struggling. Only have Ibe, Ojo and Markovic, with Firmino, Lallana and Milner able to do jobs on the flanks too. This young lad wouldn't fill me with confidence to solve problems straight away, and for that reason I'm still hopeful that one of Klopps summer signings will be able to do the job straight away.

All that said - I trust Klopp.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I'm not even going to pretend to have an opinion of Dembele.

I know nothing about him and have never seen him play.

It's good to read that Klopp's been on the phone. I think we will see a massive change in our ability to secure the targets we want, unlike when Rodgers was around. If there's money to be spent, I feel we'll get the men Klopp wants. No more missing out (Willian, Salah, Mickyryan, Costa etc).

When Matrial signed for Man U I didn't know anything about him, and I still think his fee was crazy, but he's doing well at United. If we sign this lad I hope he does similarly well.

We do need wingers as we're struggling. Only have Ibe, Ojo and Markovic, with Firmino, Lallana and Milner able to do jobs on the flanks too. This young lad wouldn't fill me with confidence to solve problems straight away, and for that reason I'm still hopeful that one of Klopps summer signings will be able to do the job straight away.

All that said - I trust Klopp.
Have only seen some stuff on YT, but from what I've seen he looks an amazing talent. I'm still doubtful we'll get him because he must already be on the radar of a bunch of elite CL clubs, but if we did... then wow. He'd be an incredible signing. Winning the final next week and getting into CL would certainly aid our cause.

Nikola

Admin
I've been watching his clips on YouTube for a while, mostly some extended match highlights. Lad is very raw, probably rawer than Origi when he came here, but the combination of his physical and technical abilities is outstanding, he's a typical modern player. On these highlights, he reminds me of Martial a bit because he always wears the same facial expression and looks like he doesn't care about a thing in the world but always seems turned on mentally, trying to make stuff happen with or without the ball. If Klopp made Origi the player he is at the moment, perhaps he could do the same with Dembele if he picks Liverpool (I hope he does, though Dortmund will have CL football next season and a chance to rival Bayern domestically).

Makati Red

Banned Users
Best thread on the site in ages

Clearly Klopp is going for the best potential money can buy rather than the best players money can buy

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
D
This might be controversial, but I'd actually rather we sign this kid than Gotze. The latter more proven, but seemingly has a lot of question marks and feels like somewhat of a gamble...

(cue my debut appearance in the hall of shame in 12 months' time...)
dontt think u would be alone there.

Don't know if this kid is the one, but really doubt gotze is

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout
"However, Dembélé has admitted he is not interested in joining the Premier League champions. “I had Claudio Ranieri on the phone,” he told Ouest-France. “I was surprised to hear from him, I told him that I will not go to Leicester. He does not speak very good French.”

Wait...how good is Klopp's French!?

Let's get this one done! Though sounds like he is going to Dortmund. Might be another convenient press leak linking us to top prospects before they go elsewhere. Would love this one though. Maybe Klopp can get it over the line.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
"However, Dembélé has admitted he is not interested in joining the Premier League champions. “I had Claudio Ranieri on the phone,” he told Ouest-France. “I was surprised to hear from him, I told him that I will not go to Leicester. He does not speak very good French.”

Wait...how good is Klopp's French!?

Let's get this one done! Though sounds like he is going to Dortmund. Might be another convenient press leak linking us to top prospects before they go elsewhere. Would love this one though. Maybe Klopp can get it over the line.
Maybe the nature of our recent victory over Dortmund would help sway him?

Makati Red

Banned Users
Would only improve the squad and the first 11 imo, the thing you can see on You Tube is the kid like Grujic has fantastic technical abillity better than those currently playing in his positionl

I am with @Zinedine Biscan I would be happy with this signing and Goetze not signing as I think that is a complication we dont need but to be fair Goetze would take Firmino place and Dembele would probably take Coutinho place more so than Milner IMO. If Goetze did come then somebody would have to go from Dembele Firmino Milner Lallana Goetze Coutinho but really nice problems to have

I still think BD are favourites as they have a head start and maybe any chance we have of getting him would depend what happens a week today

BeautifulGame

If we were really interested then the story would have been broken by Hunter .

This is pure agent talk or Rennes .Probably BVB is unwilling to go the price Rennes wants they are trying to drum up interest

Dembele recently said he knows where he is going as well hinting at Dortmund

Makati Red

Banned Users
If we were really interested then the story would have been broken by Hunter .

This is pure agent talk or Rennes .Probably BVB is unwilling to go the price Rennes wants they are trying to drum up interest

Dembele recently said he knows where he is going as well hinting at Dortmund
Normally id agree with you but the fact the article says the player has already spoken to Klopp might mean there is some truth in our interest. Also maybe Hunter wouldnt get the story because Klopp shouldnt really be talking to players who are under contract at another club

I think he will go to Dortmund but id love us to get him

GreenRedGreen

This might be controversial, but I'd actually rather we sign this kid than Gotze. The latter more proven, but seemingly has a lot of question marks and feels like somewhat of a gamble...

(cue my debut appearance in the hall of shame in 12 months' time...)
Tbh, I'd be surprised if Klopp was interested in Götze, he just doesn't strike me as someone who'd want to try to recreate something he's done already. I could be wrong, but I'd also be surprised if he went in for any of his old players at all... hall of shame potential there too.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Would only improve the squad and the first 11 imo, the thing you can see on You Tube is the kid like Grujic has fantastic technical abillity better than those currently playing in his positionl

I am with @Zinedine Biscan I would be happy with this signing and Goetze not signing as I think that is a complication we dont need but to be fair Goetze would take Firmino place and Dembele would probably take Coutinho place more so than Milner IMO. If Goetze did come then somebody would have to go from Dembele Firmino Milner Lallana Goetze Coutinho but really nice problems to have

I still think BD are favourites as they have a head start and maybe any chance we have of getting him would depend what happens a week today
Dembele has better technical ability than those playing in his position...the player you identify as being in his position being Coutinho...

Are you seriously suggesting that Dembele has greater technical ability than Coutinho? This wouldn't be you going overboard like with Grujic would it?

BeautifulGame

Normally id agree with you but the fact the article says the player has already spoken to Klopp might mean there is some truth in our interest. Also maybe Hunter wouldnt get the story because Klopp shouldnt really be talking to players who are under contract at another club

I think he will go to Dortmund but id love us to get him
Rennes are desperate to cash in on him and repeatedly made it clear he will be gone this summer .So no one cares whether Dembele is speaking to other clubs or not .They just want the highest bidder after messing up with M'Villa

So that's a non issue

Makati Red

Banned Users
Dembele has better technical ability than those playing in his position...the player you identify as being in his position being Coutinho...

Are you seriously suggesting that Dembele has greater technical ability than Coutinho? This wouldn't be you going overboard like with Grujic would it?
Coutinho is not a winger though and I think Dembeles attributes and technical abillities are far better suited to the position Coutinho currently plays in that he has more pace abillity to beat a man etc

I understand your question in relation to Coutinho but his abillities are far better suited in the 10 role

Maybe I should have said that Dembele has a superior skill set playing in his position to anyone currently at the club as its clear he would be the best wide player at the club if he joined us

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Coutinho's been pretty much a regular on the left under Klopp and it's probably where he sees him. Centrally he seems to want more pressing capabilities, hence picking players like Firmino and Lallana there (or going 4-3-something, either wider, more narrow or the diamond). Even Ibe got the nod behind the striker the other day instead of Coutinho who was too soft against Swansea albeit in a disastrous first half as a group. Coutinho might be more suited centrally but for now it seems like it will be on the left in Klopp's Liverpool or elsewhere.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
From the clips I've seen, Dembele seems to play predominantly on the right-wing... which just happens to be the forward position we're probably weakest in currently. Would put him up against Ibe and Markovic (assuming both stay, which is possibly a fairly large assumption). Lallana can and does play there too, and is a player I'd certainly keep, but Dembele offers pace and dribbling, which Adam doesn't.

Would be a strong group of players for the three positions behind the striker (with many able to play in multiple positions) - Dembele, Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Milner, Ibe/Marko (with one leaving, sold or on loan) and youngsters like Ojo, Kent etc getting minutes here and there.

And that's assuming we don't add someone like Volland as well (I would imagine it's a case of either/or).

But I'm starting to get carried away.

SoftGerman

German media says:
- Dortmund and Dembele agreed on a move long ago, but CEO Wazke said a few days ago, the deal is not done as long as the can't agree about a fee for Ousmane Dembele.
- "kicker" expects the fee to be around €15m, and writes Rennes don't want to make the big money, but sell them to a club they have a good relationship to
- clearly the agent probably wants Dembele to go to the club who offers highest wages and fee, so that might be the cause of the argument

nikz200

I agree that Dortmund is his most likely destination, and its possible the conversation he had with Klopp was more about him going to Dortmund and what playing in signal iduna park would be like.

I feel like we could get him if we throw enough money at him but is it worth it on a maybe player? We might also need to give up on other attacking targets if we get him, so its more of a question of necessity more than anything

Kanonkop

I agree that Dortmund is his most likely destination, and its possible the conversation he had with Klopp was more about him going to Dortmund and what playing in signal iduna park would be like.

I feel like we could get him if we throw enough money at him but is it worth it on a maybe player? We might also need to give up on other attacking targets if we get him, so its more of a question of necessity more than anything
I can guarantee you that Klopp does not have the time to waste on such activities. If Klopp spoke to him it was all about joining Liverpool and nothing else.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Any disappointment at losing out on Dembele would soon be tempered by the sight of P-EA leaning at Melwood.

It's only logical.

German media says:
- Dortmund and Dembele agreed on a move long ago, but CEO Wazke said a few days ago, the deal is not done as long as the can't agree about a fee for Ousmane Dembele.
- "kicker" expects the fee to be around €15m, and writes Rennes don't want to make the big money, but sell them to a club they have a good relationship to
- clearly the agent probably wants Dembele to go to the club who offers highest wages and fee, so that might be the cause of the argument
Shouldn't the lad just sack his agent?

Nikola

Admin
It seems my curse has struck again, RMC are reporting that Dortmund have agreed a five-year deal with Dembele and that Rennes have agreed a fee...

Status
Not open for further replies.