Ozan Kabak (CB) Schalke 04

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Just for @Kopstar, a special that was a long-time coming - a rumour mill thread opened by yours truly!

The aforementioned article refers to this one from Kicker, which is, as we all know, considered a reliable source:

Fire away, folks!

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
Bring him in. Along with Thiago and a competent backup for Robbo. I'd be chuffed to bits with that haul this summer. Klopp seems intent on letting some of the young lads come up and prove themselves next season, as well as relying a bit more on Keita in midfield. You throw Thiago in there and it should pay dividends.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Any idea of the fee?

Reading £32m but not sure if there is any reliable source, because that seems high figure if he is coming in as 4th choice?

RodM

This seems plausible. Young CB who can grow into the team. I'd still like to see us get a naturally left footed player who could cover for Robbo but this would fit as a direct replacement for Lovren.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
Have to admit not knowing much about him, how good is he, and who would you compare him to in the PL?
Don't know too much about him either, but from what I'm reading, he's a standout performer at CB for Schalke, and seems to do pretty well in the Bundesliga. Has pace and good instincts from the few clips I've watched. Would appear to be a good fit.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I trust Nikola with sources, but is this reliable enough?

Just asking, as I read mixed reports on Bild, how credible they are. Would like to hear some of our most concrete journos on this, if they confirm or reject it.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I In fact, sometimes I suspect that Echo down plays a connection (not rumour) to manage the hype.
The Echo is nowhere near as welcome 'round Melwood as they used to be when a certain former manager was constantly leaking stuff to a certain former Echo employee. They've certainly gone from being a reliable source to knowing no more/less than other tabloids.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Just for @Kopstar, a special that was a long-time coming - a rumour mill thread opened by yours truly!

The aforementioned article refers to this one from Kicker, which is, as we all know, considered a reliable source:

Fire away, folks!
Cheers @Nikola - this is now nailed on. (y) ;)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The Echo is nowhere near as welcome 'round Melwood as they used to be when a certain former manager was constantly leaking stuff to a certain former Echo employee. They've certainly gone from being a reliable source to knowing no more/less than other tabloids.
Pearce actually lost the relationship with Rodgers when he criticised the Benteke signing. Since then Pearce only gets the bad news or, like the others, when something is done. That's ten times more than anyone at the Echo gets now hes left though.

big noyd

if you're optimistic about gomez in spite of his post-layoff form, you could see it at is an indication that the motivation of direct competition is something that would be beneficial to him. with schalke being egregiously cash-poor, maybe there's something to this

joyce seems like the only person who really has any kind of in atm, no? reddy is plugged in but it seems more like they brief her: she doesn't know or report anything before they want her to

iftikhar

So I guess only BBC and Guardian are reliable. But they only publish if it's certain.

Nikola

Admin
I trust Nikola with sources, but is this reliable enough?

Just asking, as I read mixed reports on Bild, how credible they are. Would like to hear some of our most concrete journos on this, if they confirm or reject it.
I don't speak German, so I have to rely on translated versions but that Sport Witness article quoted Kicker, not Bild, at least not that I have noticed. If it's Bild, I guess it will be another argument for my curse, eh... lol

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I don't speak German, so I have to rely on translated versions but that Sport Witness article quoted Kicker, not Bild, at least not that I have noticed. If it's Bild, I guess it will be another argument for my curse, eh... lol
Oh, sorry mate, missed the Kicker bit! Let's see then.

Nikola

Admin
Most of the gossip these days comes from the selling club.
True, all the rumours speak of Schalke's financial issues (which would be somewhat mitigated if Bayern wasn't getting their players on free transfers), though I really don't know anything about it. That said, Wagner is an important link here - I imagine Liverpool's scouts had known about Chilwell before his loan to Huddersfield but reliable press suggested that Wagner had personally recommended him to Klopp. Maybe the history is about to repeat here, only with Liverpool sealing the deal and profiting this time.

Oh, sorry mate, missed the Kicker bit! Let's see then.
No worries, mate! :) I'm sure @Kopstar has his spreadsheet on hand and is waiting patiently... lol

Ron Swanson

Anyone seen this lad play, be interesting to see a view from someone who has seen him but if Jurgen wants him he automatically gets my vote.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Honestly haven't seen much of him but highlights make him look a good all rounder. Seems to have a decent turn of pace, decent passing, excellent header and very powerful, he seemed to shrug off a lot of players but i know these highlight reels only show the positives. If you were to compare him with Joe can someone who has watched a lot of him tell me how he compares please?

One thing mentioned over on the unreliable thread is what does this mean for joe and Matip. I was wondering, Joe has loads of pace and has played LB before for us and we dont have a backup for Andy yet. Would it make sense to use Joe as backup for Andy and then share the CB load with both Kabak and Matip. Also means VVD may actually get a few minutes rest here and there. I loved seeing Joe race down the left the year he played there for us, i know it means cutting back in etc but he would be a backup there and from some of the others people have mentioned i'd actually prefer Joe as cover there than them. Also means one less player to bring in as we needed CB cover anyway now Lovren has gone and Larouci leaving means an even more urgent need for a backup LB.

Red Spud

One thing mentioned over on the unreliable thread is what does this mean for joe and Matip. I was wondering, Joe has loads of pace and has played LB before for us and we dont have a backup for Andy yet. Would it make sense to use Joe as backup for Andy and then share the CB load with both Kabak and Matip.
If we do sign him it seems to me that he will come in as 4th choice and if he progresses well we may see him taking over from Matip in the next 12-24 months as 3rd choice. By that point Matip is 30 and may decide like Lovren he wants to be playing 1st team football and moves on and hopefully one of the Dutch kids in the academy is ready to step up to 4th choice by then. Signing a player of this profile makes good sense long term so I could see it happening.

Can't see Gomez being anything other than an extreme emergency LB cover, he has earned his place alongside Virg and will take some shifting. After Robbo can see both Milner and Neco way ahead of Gomez at LB. It's not ideal we don't have a left footed backup LB but but if Neco is to develop he needs to play games so I'm fine with him covering both fullbacks.

Red Spud

Gomez made 27 appearances in the league last season and 42 overall vs 9 and 13 for Matip, I know Matip has had injuries but even so I'd still say Gomez has earned his place alongside Virg going into next season. Would be very harsh to drop him right away for Matip if he wants his place back will need to stay injury free and work hard to earn it back.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Hmm, not really. Klopp has benched him plenty of times.

If Matip's fit for the new season I'd expect him to be first choice.
I think it goes under the radar how fucking immense Joe Gomez is.

England’s best centre back by an absolute fucking mile. Probably the best young centre half in the world.

I don’t understand why fans have a desire to replace him. He is absolutely boss, and only going to get better.

I love irrationally slagging off a centre back, but Gomez is a diamond. He really is.