Ozan Kabak (CB) Schalke 04

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Liverpool Echo state that as far they understand, LFC haven't any interest to get this lad.

Let's see how it goes, but that one is probably some fake news.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Liverpool Echo has said that as far they understand, LFC aren't interested to get this lad.

Let's see how it goes, but that one is probably some fake news.
There is increasingly a trend of agents/clubs linking their players with us because

- We’re the best in the world
- We’ve a track record for uncovering superstars

If you want to suggest to the world that a player you represent is special and teams should have a look, put it out there that Liverpool are interested.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
There is increasingly a trend of agents/clubs linking their players with us because

If you want to suggest to the world that a player you represent is special and teams should have a look, put it out there that Liverpool are interested.
This is true, although given the head of sports at Bild has said we are interested, it could equally be the case that the German media has some kind of inside track with Schalke whereas from our side we're playing it coy with the Echo etc.

Hope in your heart

Admin

Yup agree with that, and then you can add to this that Bild are notoriously unreliable and always in for fake news. A proper tabloid, and as close as it can get to being Germany's s*n. @Zinedine Biscan , when looking at news coming from Germany, Kicker would be far more reliable than Bild.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is true, although given the head of sports at Bild has said we are interested, it could equally be the case that the German media has some kind of inside track with Schalke whereas from our side we're playing it coy with the Echo etc.
We treat the Echo like growing mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them shit. Yet people seem to trust it still, there's no journalists at the Echo with any kind of inside track at the club.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Gomez vs Matip..........
Both have their qualities and failings described eloquently by forum members.....

If both are as good as some of us think then VVD will be benched when they are both fit.....

If both are as poor some think then we need Kabak......
I think whether you prefer Gomez or Matip to be Virgil's partner, nobody would say they are better than VVD, and nobody has said that either is poor.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
That's kinda sad.
Echo isn't a particularly pleasant paper these days anyway. Not been the friendly, supportive of Merseyside people and communities paper it used to be ever since it started to be ran from Manchester. Can be quite demeaning and exploitative of the people from Liverpool so I'm not too sad. If it was still a scouse based paper ran by a scouse based company and with scouse based reporters writing it maybe. It hasn't been for years. Most of the staff who work on it and print it are mancs and the reporters can be from anywhere.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think whether you prefer Gomez or Matip to be Virgil's partner, nobody would say they are better than VVD, and nobody has said that either is poor.
I was talking tongue in cheek....maybe I will use emojis in future.

Cologne-Liverpool

Yup agree with that, and then you can add to this that Bild are notoriously unreliable and always in for fake news. A proper tabloid, and as close as it can get to being Germany's s*n. @Zinedine Biscan , when looking at news coming from Germany, Kicker would be far more reliable than Bild.
Tbf, Kicker confirmed the original BILD reporting of our (supposed) interest in Kabak. Doesn't mean it'll happen or that whoever their source is is correct, just saying.

Foldy

Gone are the days of Brendan leaking stories out to his mate at the Mirror about transfer activity. Nobody has access anymore and I love it that way. Journos making a living out of writing pure shite, they must scroll through Transfermarkt and pick a random that nobody has heard of and then put their name in a template story that somebody with a Speak n' Spell has written. If ever I watch Sunday Supplement on Sky and I see the likes of Martin Samuel, who is the sports jouno equivalent of Richard Littlejohn, I shake my head in disbelief that this man gets paid to talk and write the crap he does.

RodM

Seeing how far this thread had moved on I thought something major must have happened. Nope, handbags!

I've had a quick read through the German papers and I can't see anything other than the original rumours. My suspicion is that FSG have told Schalke to shut up.

Is the transfer window officially open? I know Lovren has gone and I don't see us letting that happen unless there was a replacement lined up. I think there will be a CB incoming and Kabak would certainly fit our profile.

Judging previous signings I suspect something is in the pipeline. Probably down to medicals.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Matip and Gomez are different types of players both with strengths and weaknesses. Gomez has pace to recover, Matip reads the game better and is better in the air. Gomez is young, has room to improve, Matip is brittle and very injury prone. I'd say from watching Matip is better on the ball, no idea if the stats back that up.
We are lucky to have both because of the options they bring. Matip was a free signing too.
VVD has played 2 seasons of continuous football, no injuries to speak of thank fuck but we cannot realistically expect that to continue.
My opinion is we need another centre half because I don't think the younger lads are ready and Matip and Gomez have fitness issues.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Tbf, Kicker confirmed the original BILD reporting of our (supposed) interest in Kabak. Doesn't mean it'll happen or that whoever their source is is correct, just saying.
Ah, wasn't aware that they had confirmed the news. Well then, maybe there is something in this after all. I tend to take kicker quite seriously for transfer rumours, a bit like the bbc in England. Dunno if they deserve that though...

MinniMo

Haven’t heard of this guy, but I like the signings that make me say “who”
Wholeheartedly agree with you. I happily fill up my (still) locked up day searching the interweb finding out more about them, and working out in my own mind if they fit us. Need to get onto this one now.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.

Zinedine Biscan

Definitely looking like there's mileage in this one, then.

I know nothing about the player, but sounds like he's well-rated, isn't madly expensive and admires VVD, so plenty to like already.

For those that know, is he predominantly a RCB or LCB?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

big noyd

when we’re predictable we play around defenses

matip, like firmino & keita, contributes an element of playing through teams. not as progressive a passer as sakho was but not nearly as much of a space cadet when defending either

Zinedine Biscan

Fully on board with this after reading the Forbes article and seeing that chart ARD posted (how low on that is Gomez btw? :().

Sounds like a star in the making, and from those sounds like a much better bet than Ake, who City are pursuing for more money.

Last edited: