• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Ozan Kabak (CB) Schalke 04

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Its the same with a lot of stats to be honest, they are only a base indicator and shouldn't be read too much into but at least give you a slight indication of a players level.

Assists is another one, sometime it is the pass before the Assist that is the key pass in a goal, yet get no recognition. Someone brought that up when it transpired Gini recorded zero assists this season, but how many times will he have played in Robbo or Trent, breaking the trap with a pass only to get no recognised reward for it.

Thankfully with Klopp and his team these efforts are seen are praised internally I have no doubt
I was thinking about this during the Newcastle game. Ox's worked hard to create that first goal, driving into position, then hitting a beautiful ball to Virgil, who delivered a great header. But compare that with the following two goals Origi, and Mane basically did all the work to create and score those goals by cutting past the defenders and curling the ball into the goal.

Fowler's Left Peg

I was thinking about this during the Newcastle game. Ox's worked hard to create that first goal, driving into position, then hitting a beautiful ball to Virgil, who delivered a great header. But compare that with the following two goals Origi, and Mane basically did all the work to create and score those goals by cutting past the defenders and curling the ball into the goal.
Have you seen Son's goal of the season.

Someone got an assist for that ha ha

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Its the same with a lot of stats to be honest, they are only a base indicator and shouldn't be read too much into but at least give you a slight indication of a players level.

Assists is another one, sometime it is the pass before the Assist that is the key pass in a goal, yet get no recognition. Someone brought that up when it transpired Gini recorded zero assists this season, but how many times will he have played in Robbo or Trent, breaking the trap with a pass only to get no recognised reward for it.

Thankfully with Klopp and his team these efforts are seen are praised internally I have no doubt
Concerning this, I would just quickly like to make the point that more advanced (professional) level analytics do have metrics that assess the expected goals of possession chains involving a player (i.e., if Gini is part of a passing sequence, what is the likelihood that it results in a goal).

And if that kind of information is being worked on by psudeo-public sites like StatsBomb, the stuff that our in-house PhD-in-astrophysics guys are doing probably leaves that in the dust. All this to say that LFC should have data on this stuff beyond the eye test. (y)

rab

I think the only way the Matip vs Gomez gets settled is if we lose Virgil for a run of games and they have each other to rely on rather than the best centre back in the world.

I for one would be very happy if this debate runs on forever.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the only way the Matip vs Gomez gets settled is if we lose Virgil for a run of games and they have each other to rely on rather than the best centre back in the world.

I for one would be very happy if this debate runs on forever.
Its nice to debate which top class CB is better. It makes a refreshing change from which disappointing CB is least disappointing.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So, this Turkish kid or that Algerian lad???
If PSG are buying Matip for £50m both for roughly £30m profit on them two coming in Matip and Lovren going out. And if one of them struggles to settle we still have Fabinho who can step back into CB if needed.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure I'd be comfortable losing two of our centre backs in the same window.
As bad as it sounds the football economy and individual club finances probably need the immediate injection that sold players show up as to recover from the coronavirus effects. Bought players are spread throughout the contract, sold players show at point of sale, I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs doing a lot more sales than usual. Especially a club like us with a lot of our squad players able to be replaced by academy graduates and with lots of unneeded loaned players on the books.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
For 50mil, they can have Mandi after we buy him for 9mil.

You do have to pay a premium for players coming through the English and European champions.

PaulRoJo

League thirst since 1990? Temporarily quenched!
PSG apparently interested at that price, but I can’t see it personally. I mean, Edwards is good, but he’s not actually magic.
Can see Matip doing well at PSG and, separately, can see them being willing to spend that much on a defender. If they are stupid enough to put those together and pay us 50m pounds for Joel then we'd have to let him go. It's possible he wouldn't get injured as much in Ligue 1 and work out well for them, stranger things have happened.

SupaLFC96

We don't have back up players. If this guy comes in and play well Klopp will leave him in the lineup, that's how he does the CBs. From what I seen he has good pace, decent passing and very good composure for such a young player.

Richard88

Really we'd only be losing one. Between Lovren and Matip they've started 17 league games this year (9 and 8 respectively).

As @Mascot88 says - nobody's turning down €50m for Matip. Imagine what Klopp and Edwards could do with that?
Edwards would take that €50m and use it to buy Ben White. It's unlikely that his pricetag would be too huge given that he hasn't played in the PL yet and only has 2 years left on his contract with Brighton.

PSG would be out of their mind to spend €50m on a player as old and injury prone as Matip though so I don't think this rumour is true.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Edwards would take that €50m and use it to buy Ben White. It's unlikely that his pricetag would be too huge given that he hasn't played in the PL yet and only has 2 years left on his contract with Brighton.

PSG would be out of their mind to spend €50m on a player as old and injury prone as Matip though so I don't think this rumour is true.
Brighton has supposedly rejected 22mil bid from Leeds so I don't think he will cost any buying club any lower than 30mil which to spend on like you say who has not played in the PL yet to replace a very good and experienced player in Matip does not seem what we will do.

Joe Gomez x

Call me the work permit fanatic but I’m not sure if this lad would qualify for a UK work visa. We would have to pay a minimum of 18 million to get him qualified for the required points as he falls short being from Turkey.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Call me the work permit fanatic but I’m not sure if this lad would qualify for a UK work visa. We would have to pay a minimum of 18 million to get him qualified for the required points as he falls short being from Turkey.
Think anything less than £18m and we wouldn't stand a chance of signing him would we?