Philippe Coutinho (AM) Barcelona

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Flobs, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

I remember Coutinho being a whinger.;-)

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Ah.... that's how we equate perfect replacement.

3. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sorry how many games has Coutinho played in midfield? Answers on a post card.

4. lfc.eddie

Yes exact same player.... you've been right as always.

5. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Come on, post something factual to back up your trolling.

You said they are not a similar player, they are. Both are left wingers / wide forwards who have recently dropped deeper into midfield.

Please post something factual, i.e. evidence to actually back up your posts. You can't i.e. you are just on a wind up mission.

6. lfc.eddie

You are the one to talk about posting facts.... with all your exaggeration and when pulled up calling others pedantic. Please....

Irishanfield likes this.
  7. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

I just posted facts, Draxler started 10 games in central midfield this season, backed up my point that he and Coutinho are similar players.

You've yet to post anything factual, just little digs, then reverting to twoddle because you tried to troll, got called out and have got nowhere to go. As Lucas would say.. Unluckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

8. lfc.eddie

Your opinion, isn't a fact..... let's get that clear first before we drill into specifics.

9. steveee

steveee TIA Reserve Team

I agree. Draxler is not just a winger. he is also a very good amf .. very identical to coutinho in the positions he plays even. He can play on the right wring as well. he would be a great replacement for him. I like lemar too which I think would be a good replacement as well who can also play all 3 positions lw primary and then Amf and rw. one of these players should be coutinho's replacement. For me the Draxler seems more realistic considering i believe coutinnho will end up at PSG in the summer. It only makes sense to start working with them now.

FGred and Iluvatar like this.
  10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yep that was my view as well, Lemar would be a good backup option and tbh if Coutinho left I'd want both. Add to that someone like Werner to replace Sturridge..

Imagine a front 4 that could be anyone of; Firmino, Werner, Mane, Salah, Draxler, Lemar.

FGred likes this.
  11. Koon

Koon Active Member

Coutinho and Draxler are very different players in my opinion. The position Draxler could be called as replacement is in the wing.

Also, there are two main reasons why Coutinho is able to play as MC and Draxler absolutely can't:

- Coutinho's defensive contribution is very underrated. The amount of tackles is very high if we are thinking about a playmaker who's not that strong physically. Draxler is basicaly the opposite. Very weak defensive contribution and he is kinda a lazy player. He gives away possession too many times and doesn't fight right away to regain the ball.

- Coutinho plays Premier League for Liverpool and Draxler plays Ligue 1 for PSG, the best team BY FAR in the league. Premier League is waaaaay more difficult and you gotta have a player who's able to contribute the way Coutinho does because you are not totally dominant just like PSG, so your defensive contribution could be low playing for PSG, but it can not happen if you are playing for Liverpool.

When people say Draxler's playstyle is the same as Coutinho, there's a huge misconception out there. Coutinho is a very good dribbler who's able to find dead balls everywhere and he is also e very good finisher, and all those things benefits his position (CM). That's the way he plays.

Draxler is a physicaly gifted player who's able to keep the ball moving and is very direct, has a good pass, a good finish and a good presence around the box and that's why he should play as a winger or a second striker, but never as CM. He can do that in Ligue 1 because that league is a joke for PSG.

I don't know where the comparisions between Coutinho and Draxler come from. He is nowehere near a replacement to Coutinho. If we want to replace Coutinho with a playmaker, Draxler is not the one we shpuld be looking for, but if we are looking for a backup winger, then Draxler is good.

12. Nikola

Nikola Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome. Admin

FGred likes this.
  13. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

The whole dynamic has changed with Coutinho now whilst at the same time - in certain respects - not a lot has changed. Still, we shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves because the very reason for that change in dynamic may in turn, before too long, create a similar level of concern for the club.

Suddenly Coutinho is no longer seen as crucial to the way we play or critical to our success moving forward. But we still hold the ace cards contractually and he will move on when the club says so and for the financial compensation it demands. That change is mainly down to the presence of Mane, the form of Salah, the greatly anticipated arrival of Keita in the summer and to a lesser extent AOC’s impact since he arrived.

If anything these developments have strengthened the club’s hand with regard to Coutinho not weakened it. If the lad wants to show off and down tools because he can’t get his own way, the club can now cope with that far better than seemed possible before the start of this season. And with a World Cup coming up, Coutinho needs game time.

That all sounds fine and dandy except for the fact that Salah is now a highly prized asset in his own right and before too long is likely to attract similar attention and unsettling tactics to those experienced by Coutinho during the summer. In the meantime, all of this serves as a very clear indication that Klopp is moving the club forward in a way that we haven’t seen for a very long time.

14. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

While a player i'd obviously like to keep, at least we know this team is not as dependent on Coutinho as previously thought and the hefty fee will only help us in strengthening other areas, including a proper replacement for him.

If next year we have a midfield of Henderson, Keita, Lallana, Markovic (just kidding), Gini, Chamberlain, and say, Draxler, as Phil's replacement, with potentially Grujic, Woodburn pushing for a spot, i'd be happier than pig in dirt.

FGred likes this.
  15. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

If Barca are so keen on him then they can wait.

I'd only consider selling him at a worthwhile price in the Summer, if that price doesn't come on we go, he has another 4 years.

FGred likes this.
  16. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

We are in a strong position. Long contract, high wages, no clause, him playing really well and making no problems apart from that month or so when the season started. If they want to negotiate, show us the money (and I mean big money). If not, great. The only thing I would hope is that it doesn't drag on too late next summer. Part of me would say give them a deadline date when it's "negotiable", but ignoring them is just as fine for me. Good thing here is we're making steps forward (even if losing Coutinho would be a blow of course), Ox is backing up our wingers, Keita is arriving... need to continue in this way.

FGred and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  17. Dhoff3

Dhoff3 TIA Squad Member

It's be pretty dumb to sell him in January with the team looking strong in the CL and surging in the league looking to secure top four in what is going to be a tight race. I don't think Barca could make an offer we'd accept and he couldn't play for them in the CL anyway. We should be planning for life without Coutinho next season though and if possible, should strengthen next month to make sure we can keep our attack strong. Last night proves how crucial he is to our attack.

Now if strengthening the defense with someone like VVD was contingent on us selling Coutinho, that'd be interesting. However, I would hope that's not the case.

FGred likes this.
  18. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

This is Barca.. All fake expensive suits and cheap cologne. They are skint, they will use all the underhand shithousery tactics available to unsettle rather than pay what a club wants.

FGred likes this.
  19. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

The cynic in me is saying, maybe Coutinho's upturn in form and hunger is because January is approaching fast... has VVD been playing well lately?

FGred likes this.
  20. Nikola

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ho-has-opened-door-leaving-liverpool-january/

Well written article from Bascombe.

I can't help feeling disappointed, for lack of a better word, whenever I see him play so well like in his last two matches, knowing that he'll be gone in six months, a bit like with Suarez. I still don't think he's a key player to Liverpool (I often wonder how this side would look with fully fit Lallana in it instead of Coutinho, for example) but it's great to have someone with his ability, Firmino thrives when Coutinho plays with him, side generally looks "sexier". No wonder Barcelona are after him but I will surely hope PSG enter the fray as soon as possible.

21. lfc.eddie

Got this in our twitter thread...
    Well Barcelona may have set their sights on the player, but they would need to put the cash out to get him. All that £80m with 5 part payment, and £40m of add-ons? They can keep passing the window admiring the merchandise from a far.

@Nikola, I don't think it is that well written. It is more to do with trying to make Coutinho looked like someone who is asking to leave. He was asked with all those answers he gave, and he didn't want to be one of those that said - "how could I leave with a night like this?", and six months later, packed his bag to PSG.

As for how well written.... if someone who supposedly a fan of our club should at least get this right...
    The world knows how much was the actual bid and it isn't anywhere near that amount, since 40% of the total were stacked up with shit loads of probably unattainable add-ons, like Coutinho winning multiple Balon d'Or, or winning multiple Champs League and League title. If the team has become shit after Messi left and hiring lousy coaches, they won't be able to repeat this streak, so how are those numbers going to realise?

So no, it isn't that well written. At the very least put out some facts out rather than some clickbait numbers.... very disappointed with the article.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    FGred likes this.
  22. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

If i had to choose who you'd pick to lose out of our fab four then it would be Phil,getting sick of his want away and disingenuous horseshit as well

Jase, FGred and Alright Now like this.
  23. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

I just can't see the sense in letting Coutinho go in January. If Barca come calling, he and they should be told to put up and shut up until the summer at the earliest. There's next to zero chance of us being able to sign anyone nearly as good next month to replace him, so all we'd accomplish is needlessly weakening ourselves and damaging our chances of winning silverware and qualifying for next season's CL.

24. lfc.eddie

See what I mean @Nikola.... that article insinuate Coutinho pushing for a move, but it was questions presented to him. He answered, and Bascombe twisted it with added some salt and pepper in the mix. And you get fans thinking he keep talking about the move. If anything this is just an article written on behalf of the club so that if he leaves, fans would think he's the one pushing for it and a shit attitude fella.

FGred likes this.
  25. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

Okay ed,he wants to stay:well done:.

FGred likes this.
  26. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

He has 4 years left on his contract no way is he off in January. Stop reading media horseshit.

FGred likes this.
  27. lfc.eddie

Mane, Salah, Firmino, put a name out there and if the offer is proper £150m, the owners, Edwards and the gang will bubble wrap them and send them to their destination. But the article states that he is gone because of the things he said in that interview. They presented the question and he answered it, they twisted it and present it like as if he wanted them to ask him these questions to send some "come get me" plea signal. Simple as that....

FGred likes this.
  28. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

The only player (midfielder) who played on the half-turn last night, hopefully Naby can do the same when he joins. We need players like that in midfield who can open up the pitch by a single move, get rid of an opponent and play an accurate possession game. Coutinho is our best player without a single doubt, I'd say the only areas where he needs to improve now is evolution (being more responsible on and off the ball) in central midfield and overall consistency (in almost all seasons he enters these periods when he's a bit quiet and often forgets about things he's best at, puts his head down and keep shooting with players blocking him). Whenever he goes, it will be a nice story and memory. Terrific piece of business in the first place, developing him, getting at least over 200+ appearances with around a number of at least a 100 in goals and assists. For sure our next record sale as well and probably one of the most expensive players. I think next summer might be the time, but wouldn't completely write off our chances yet.

FGred, Wyld@Heart and lfc.eddie like this.
  29. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

He's got four years left.:rolleyes:

FGred likes this.
  30. Nikola

For what it's worth, every Liverpool related journalist wrote the subsequent article with exactly the same tone - it's no secret Coutinho wants to leave, if he didn't, he would try to make it clear publicly. I can only hope for two things: that he has a worldie of a season before he leaves and that the money from his sale is used to buy two or three proper players (OK, not every transfer will be Mane or Salah but you know what I'm saying).

FGred and Scott Jones like this.