Philippe Coutinho (AM) Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMac8

Correct, but it also fair to say, especially before Klopp, there were way too many matches where he was invisible.
Before Klopp he was 22. All young players are inconsistent. He’s quality and getting better. He’s a big loss no matter how we try to spin it. :-( Close the thread please

koptician

We'll go again!
Why did we not talk to Barca and his agent to tell them that we can have a deal in the summer 100% just assure him that he will get the move as we need him for our top four push? No way he could keep on pretending to be injured. Even if his Brazil spot is guaranteed he would still be too rusty.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
This is an article about what has happened in august... and I guess something similar must have happened this time again. Anyone else noticed Firmino's face after the Leicester game?

It seems significant that while last summer Fenway Sports Group issued denials in relation to the prospect of Coutinho being sold to Barcelona, it was left to Jürgen Klopp to explain why it had eventually happened. And the key line from Klopp’s statement on Liverpool’s official website last night was this: “Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.” The key word: “teammates.”

Liverpool’s players were getting ready for training last August at Melwood when Coutinho entered the changing room with an expression attached to his face, one that meant maybe he did not need to explain his intention to leave – though he did anyway in front of an entire squad. Only he knows whether the decision was made out of confidence or desperation but it ended up backfiring because it contributed towards Liverpool reinforcing their position.

The club had rejected each of Barcelona’s bids at the time. If this player got his way, others would know what to do when they wanted to go. Disrupt and meet your desires. Fenway by then had already publically stated he would not be released. To relent would be to encourage protests at their ownership, as Jamie Carragher pointed out. Maybe Fenway’s credibility would have been lost forever.

As The Independent revealed in September, Coutinho had been complaining of back pain and when a scan revealed nothing was wrong with him, it was decided then it was better to play along with the façade - publically at least - in an attempt to try and limit the attention around his behaviour and allow Liverpool’s season to begin with less disruption than there would have been otherwise.

Coutinho had placed Klopp in an uncomfortable position nevertheless, someone who positions harmony and trust between staff above ability and status. Football clubs are working environments like anywhere else in the sense that when someone doesn’t want to be there and lets it be known, chipping away, mood spreads quickly and productivity levels decrease. Others – friends – can also become unsettled.

Privately, Klopp was not against selling and moving on. It is a process he is not scared of, having seen Nuri Sahin join Real Madrid when he was Borussia Dortmund’s manager, before Mario Götze and Robert Lewandowski went to Bayern Munich with his blessing. He genuinely believes there are always solutions to be found – that players can always be replaced, if a manager is patient and he has the confidence of those above him, facilitating the necessary time to see his measures through. He can be absolutely certain of that at Liverpool.

Coutinho’s departure, though, brings enormous pressure on him: from Liverpool supporters, from rival supporters, from the traditional media, from social media. He will remember that while he traded Sahin for Ilkay Gündoğan at Dortmund, that while Henrikh Mkhitaryan later came in for Götze successfully, Ciro Immobile failed when Lewandowski ran down his contract and within twelve months, Klopp was no longer Dortmund’s manager.

From Coutinho’s point of view, four years at a major club with no medals to show for it alone is a fair reason for looking elsewhere.

In full..
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...w-a8146376.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

Toro

Florida Red
One other thing to consider - when Suarez wanted to leave before the 13-14 season, Carra said that "He's the third best player in the world playing on the seventh best team in England." Arguably, Coutinho isn't the third best player in England, or even the best player at Liverpool. And yet, Barca has smashed their transfer record and made him the third most expensive player ever.

Last edited:

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Should simply ignore that tweet. SMTM was a former TIA poster. Exposed as a fake ITK and banned from this site.

He craved attention but clearly had no inside knowledge. You may see odd references to BBQs and gypsies on TIA...they are indirect references to SMTM
Wow.
I'm sorry, I'm very new around here so I didn't know about that. My fault.

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
Should simply ignore that tweet. SMTM was a former TIA poster. Exposed as a fake ITK and banned from this site.

He craved attention but clearly had no inside knowledge. You may see odd references to BBQs and gypsies on TIA...they are indirect references to SMTM
Blimey... SMTM, fake ITK, BBQ's and gypsies... I'm intrigued, but I get the feeling it's a longer story than can be told here.

It's not a massive gamble to sit and wait if it means Lemar to come in the summer,Mahrez could do something but is he available now and at a reasonable price,£50m would be steep only if he struggles but i personally see him being better with what we've got than at Leicester,i just don't fucking know tbh.

Elessar

Paul Joyce: #Klopp will have faith in his squad, he has a lot of players but I'm not sure if he'll want to spend now. He may go with what he's got now.

I hope that this means that Woodburn get more chances. It is easy to forget that he is one of the best young players in the league. It would be interesting to see him play together with Salah, Firmino and Mane.

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
It's not a massive gamble to sit and wait if it means Lemar to come in the summer,Mahrez could do something but is he available now and at a reasonable price,£50m would be steep only if he struggles but i personally see him being better with what we've got than at Leicester,i just don't fucking know tbh.
Would Mahrez get in the squad? Mind you I said the same about Ox and he's started to look ok.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
I hope that this means that Woodburn get more chances. It is easy to forget that he is one of the best young players in the league. It would be interesting to see him play together with Salah, Firmino and Mane.
Absolutely.

K

Klopptinho

we are now in a position where we can't spend the coutinho money . i would have thought if we had someone lined up that they would have come in prior to selling coutinho and to keep the selling club from fleecing us . seems to me like we are going to see more of the usual transfer hope with no end business this window (from this point)

Mahrez is good but he's not £70m+ good .

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
So, I made a few calls and...

"Liverpool are closing in on a £49 million deal for Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez, according to reports.

beIN Sports claim that Liverpool are now in the process of signing Mahrez and will pay €55m (£49m) for the Algeria international.

The report also claims that the 26-year-old will undergo a medical on Sunday and has agreed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Jurgen Klopp‘s side."

...according to beIN Sports

Has anyone seen an Algerian bloke in a Leicester top getting off a bus near Melwood?

Livvy

Alles wird gut

"Liverpool are closing in on a £49 million deal for Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez, according to reports.

beIN Sports claim that Liverpool are now in the process of signing Mahrez and will pay €55m (£49m) for the Algeria international.

The report also claims that the 26-year-old will undergo a medical on Sunday and has agreed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Jurgen Klopp‘s side."

Has anyone seen an Algerian bloke in a Leicester top getting off a bus near Melwood?
No he is in Dubai for a short holiday apparently. But a lot of players are in Dubai now, even the Mancs will be there tomorrow as well. :rolleyes:

Elessar

The exact results of the examination could throw up some interesting revelations, too.

Coutinho infamously missed every minute of football for Liverpool this season that took place within a transfer window and injury problems were cited in every case.

Doubt over the accuracy of those comments in the summer remain but as far as January is concerned, it seems there was no cover up at all.

According to Spanish outlet AS, Coutinho could be out for as long as 15 days with the medical test used to establish the degree of discretion.

A period of just over a fortnight on the treatment table would set Coutinho's debut for January 28th and a home bow against Alaves in La Liga. If the 25-year-old's recovery it slightly quicker than expected, that could move forward to the 21st and a trip to Real Betis.

Genuine injuries at Liverpool
What of Liverpool, though?

The report cited that Coutinho would set to arrive in Barcelona, as previously mentioned, injury and thus clarified: 'he did not fake any injury so as not to play with Liverpool these last games.'

Whether that means Coutinho would actually have played for Liverpool in 2018 is an interesting proposition but, it seems, there was no pretence.

http://www.givemesport.com/1231216-...but-might-surprise-liverpool-fans?autoplay=on

The exact results of the examination could throw up some interesting revelations, too.

Coutinho infamously missed every minute of football for Liverpool this season that took place within a transfer window and injury problems were cited in every case.

Doubt over the accuracy of those comments in the summer remain but as far as January is concerned, it seems there was no cover up at all.

According to Spanish outlet AS, Coutinho could be out for as long as 15 days with the medical test used to establish the degree of discretion.

A period of just over a fortnight on the treatment table would set Coutinho's debut for January 28th and a home bow against Alaves in La Liga. If the 25-year-old's recovery it slightly quicker than expected, that could move forward to the 21st and a trip to Real Betis.

Genuine injuries at Liverpool
What of Liverpool, though?

The report cited that Coutinho would set to arrive in Barcelona, as previously mentioned, injury and thus clarified: 'he did not fake any injury so as not to play with Liverpool these last games.'

Whether that means Coutinho would actually have played for Liverpool in 2018 is an interesting proposition but, it seems, there was no pretence.

http://www.givemesport.com/1231216-...but-might-surprise-liverpool-fans?autoplay=on
Doesn't prove anything.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Wow.
I'm sorry, I'm very new around here so I didn't know about that. My fault.
No problem, dont expect people to know the back story for old posters !

He was here a long time back, maybe 2010 to 2013 ?

Perhaps the strangest poster I have ever seen. I would characterize him as someone who seemed to love the club, but not the game. In many ways the forum was just a vehicle to interact with people. He was the ultimate "like" whore, do anything for people to like his posts. .

Although his gifs, and populist posting with no depth was annoying. He crossed the line into a fantasy to get even more "likes". He was hosting BBQs with player agents. He claimed to know people like Amanda Staveley and had the inside track on the sale of the club.

The ITK of TIA, he made the wrong bet on a prediction (a lie that dug himself in an ever deeper hole). He got it so badly wrong and it was so evident to everyone that he went into a self imposed exile. When he came back the cycle repeated, got a few warnings from the mods and jumped from TIA just before he was pushed.

Krimson

• Get Salah'd! •
Paul Joyce: #Klopp will have faith in his squad, he has a lot of players but I'm not sure if he'll want to spend now. He may go with what he's got now.

This sounds very James Pearce-like.

On one hand we may have sold one of our best players in January with no idea as to who can replace him, or we're being let down softly as the club has zero intention of signing anyone..

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
My mistake...

RIYAD MAHREZ is not on the verge of joining Liverpool and there has been no official contact with the club.

...and that's from The Star, so it must be right!!

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.

Funny you should mention it, but I saw someone matching that description in Deysbrook Lane Tesco's.
Not sure Mahrez would be stacking shelves though.:rolleyes:

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
This sounds very James Pearce-like.

On one hand we may have sold one of our best players in January with no idea as to who can replace him, or we're being let down softly as the club has zero intention of signing anyone..
One of the front page news stories on TIA mentions an unnamed target that Liverpool are working on to replace Cou, along with Lemar.
I know this is all speculation but I'm pretty sure the club have every intention of replacing Cou.

Status
Not open for further replies.