Philippe Coutinho (AM) Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's all over bar the shouting and Phillipe Coutinho is about to become a Barcelona player. It's sad to have lost one of our better players, but he has given us five years scoring many decisive goals and should be remembered for that. Some who have cheered him on over the years will now be cursing him to hell, but he has been loyal to us and didn't spit his dummy out when we refused to let him go in the summer. The answer is that he didn't and kept on giving us 100% whenever he played. So we should wish him well for the rest of his career - but not when he plays against us.

Well, it's all over bar the shouting and Phillipe Coutinho is about to become a Barcelona player. It's sad to have lost one of our better players, but he has given us five years scoring many decisive goals and should be remembered for that. Some who have cheered him on over the years will now be cursing him to hell, but he has been loyal to us and didn't spit his dummy out when we refused to let him go in the summer. The answer is that he didn't and kept on giving us 100% whenever he played. So we should wish him well for the rest of his career - but not when he plays against us.
Can't agree with this mate,he kicked up a fuss so let's not pretend he didn't hey.

KMD1951

If he doesn't want to be here then best to be rid of him. We are in the top 10 clubs in World football. Appreciate Barca are right up there but there are many bigger clubs than us.

It will remain to be seen who wins out of this deal but if the add ins are realistic and we get £140m+ then I think it may well be us. He's a very good player but I don't think he's irreplaceable. It's not like it was when Suarez left. You knew he was top, top drawer.

Can't agree with this mate,he kicked up a fuss so let's not pretend he didn't hey.
No, I disagree with you in that he kicked up a fuss. What he did was put in a transfer request by email in the last week of the transfer window. It wasn't a good thing to do because he left us with no time to buy in a replacement, but there was no histrionics from him. He was told he could not leave and that was that. If you're angry with Couts, then you should direct your anger at Barcelona. No Barcelona, no problem.

redwhiteley7

No, I disagree with you in that he kicked up a fuss. What he did was put in a transfer request by email in the last week of the transfer window. It wasn't a good thing to do because he left us with no time to buy in a replacement, but there was no histrionics from him. He was told he could not leave and that was that. If you're angry with Couts, then you should direct your anger at Barcelona. No Barcelona, no problem.
You are deluding yourself.Klopp said he was insistent and desperate for the move to happen now-that is manager speak for an employee kicking up a fuss.It is clear he was refusing to play and kicking up a fuss to get his move.That's it.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
If the reports are to believe, from what's reported now is, he told the whole dressing room that he wants to go no matter what, because he hasn't won anything during his time here. So actually he told them they are shit and he deserves better.

JMac8

Did you miss the phantom injuries, his scumbag agent and him telling his teammates how much he wanted to leave? Must have great for team spirit to hear those encouraging words from their talisman (and occasional captain)

It's looking like five years of loyalty to the club is going to be overlooked. One person reports this and another that, rumours upon rumours, but how much of it is 100% real? Everyone's entitled to their opinion and mine is what I've posted. I'm thankful for his time at our club and now he's gone - the King is dead, long live the King. Me, I am waiting for the next star to arrive, and all this will be forgotten or ignored and something not worth bothering about. Roll on the next game.

It's looking like five years of loyalty to the club is going to be overlooked. One person reports this and another that, rumours upon rumours, but how much of it is 100% real? Everyone's entitled to their opinion and mine is what I've posted. I'm thankful for his time at our club and now he's gone - the King is dead, long live the King. Me, I am waiting for the next star to arrive, and all this will be forgotten or ignored and something not worth bothering about. Roll on the next game.
Tbf to Phil he's probably had quite a few people whispering in his ear and has been coaxed,shame.

Redsi73

Obviously he will make a statement soon thanking lfc and the fans for making him the man and player he is now...........wont he?

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Sad to see Phil leave but we'll adjust and improve, it was obvious he wanted to leave and JK only wants players who want to play for our wonderful football club. A new chapter is about to be written and Jurgen will ensure that there will be no spelling errors and all the characters are red through and through.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
I will generally look back on his overall contributions as positive for the Club, but let’s not ignore his fake back injury before the biggest games of the year for us. We had to beat Hoffenheim to get into Champs or the season would have been off to an absolute disastrous start. And he was nowhere to be found for his teammates to fight and ensure our place in the Champions League.

The whole thing that is just so short sighted and sad for his legacy though. All he had to do was play for five more months with Liverpool for this Club and his teammates, enjoy a possibly deep Champs League run, ensure a top four finish and then he leaves on incredible terms off to the Club of his dreams. I will never fully understand why he couldn’t have just been sold now but to join Barca in June. He could have made that happen but he didn’t.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think Klopp went into the summer armed with the capacity to spend about 180m - made up of last year's budget, this year's budget, next year's budget and sales from squad players like Sakho, Stewart, Lucas etc, and the intention to sign Mo Salah, Van Dijk, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain and a left back.

In the end, all that business got done, one way or another.

Until Neymar breaks football there is no suitor for Coutinho. And that's long after Klopp and Van Dijk have had their romantic weekend in Blackpool. Apart from Oxlade-Chamberlain, all of those deals are well in motion before Barca come in for Coutinho. And FSG respond to that interest by saying he isn't for sale at any price (I've never seen such an unequivocal statement about a player), and somewhere between summer and January, Coutinho is offered a massive pay rise, and possibly even the captaincy if some sources are to be believed (although I take that one with a pitch of salt).

There is simply no way that FSG were always planning to offset those purchases by selling Coutinho. It's fantasy land thinking. What if he gets injured? What if he decides the offer of more money is good and takes it? What if Barca get Griezeman and cool on Coutinho? What if the medical picks up something?

There is so much that could go wrong with any transfer, staking a 75m spree on a single player, on the expectation you get it back from another is terrible business management.

A far simpler explanation is that Coutinho kicked off again and made it clear he would continue to be a cunt until he got his move, Klopp - who values team harmony above everything else - decided he would rather cut him lose, and the club rinsed Barca to the tune of £142m. Liverpool always had enough to buy the five players they had their eye on, and would have ideally kept Coutinho until summer.

T.C.B

He was obviously pushing massively behind the scenes to make this happen. My feeling is he just wore Klopp down in the end.

Chewbazza

True Believer
I will generally look back on his overall contributions as positive for the Club, but let’s not ignore his fake back injury before the biggest games of the year for us. We had to beat Hoffenheim to get into Champs or the season would have been off to an absolute disastrous start. And he was nowhere to be found for his teammates to fight and ensure our place in the Champions League.

The whole thing that is just so short sighted and sad for his legacy though. All he had to do was play for five more months with Liverpool for this Club and his teammates, enjoy a possibly deep Champs League run, ensure a top four finish and then he leaves on incredible terms off to the Club of his dreams. I will never fully understand why he couldn’t have just been sold now but to join Barca in June. He could have made that happen but he didn’t.
I imagine it's so he definitely gets a league winners medal before Real have a chance to shuffle the deck in the summer.

Yeah, if he had stayed with us until the summer and with us pocketing £146million everything would have been hunky dory, but leaving the way he has it's just got a lot of people's backs up. In a previous post that you have quoted I thanked him for his five years of service to us, but now it's over and the man is no more. Leaving our club he has become insignificant to, I would imagine, all at LFC - management, coaching staff and fans worldwide. His career no longer concerns us - we move on.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Are you trying to rewrite history or something.

He lobbed a transfer request on the club the day before the season started deliberately to upset the start of the season for us and cause as much disruption as possible in an attempt to force a move this only weeks after he had committed himself to the club.

Then came the faked injury and the bullshit about falling out with Klopp and being played out of position and him not making himself available for us but then playing for Brazil.

Yeah ok he played well when he eventually came back into the squad. But then at first chance he again faked an injury and more or less told the whole team "your all shit and I deserve better" And proceeded to force a move out of he club at a time when it will be nigh on impossible to get a replacement in.

Am I forgetting anything ?

Fuck him and his cockhead agent. Dont care what he did whilst he was here he has dicked us two windows on the trot and shown 0 respect for the club, the shirt or the fans who made him what he is today.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
He was obviously pushing massively behind the scenes to make this happen. My feeling is he just wore Klopp down in the end.
Day one, Klopp's said he only wants people here who are committed to the cause. Sakho's commitment was questioned, and he was offski despite being our best defender at the time. Phil's our best attacking midfielder, but feigning injuries, transfer requests, and repeatedly agitating for a move? Lost all patience with him is probably closer to the mark.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yeah, if he had stayed with us until the summer and with us pocketing £146million everything would have been hunky dory, but leaving the way he has it's just got a lot of people's backs up. In a previous post that you have quoted I thanked him for his five years of service to us, but now it's over and the man is no more. Leaving our club he has become insignificant to, I would imagine, all at LFC - management, coaching staff and fans worldwide. His career no longer concerns us - we move on.
Soz mate. I've been one of the most understanding towards Coutinho here - arguing it's his dream to play for Barca, he has to think about his family, Liverpool have to wise up that South Americans don't see us a destination - but his behaviour has been appalling and will rightly leave a sour taste as he departs,

- deliberately timing the transfer request for the day before the season started, in order to maximise the impact.

- feigning injury, and ruling himself out of several matches (I fucking hope we didn't pay him)

- telling lies about his relationship with Klopp, in order to provoke Jurgen into wanting rid.

Have I missed anything.

Are you trying to rewrite history or something.

He lobbed a transfer request on the club the day before the season started deliberately to upset the start of the season for us and cause as much disruption as possible in an attempt to force a move this only weeks after he had committed himself to the club.

Then came the faked injury and the bullshit about falling out with Klopp and being played out of position and him not making himself available for us but then playing for Brazil.

Yeah ok he played well when he eventually came back into the squad. But then at first chance he again faked an injury and more or less told the whole team "your all shit and I deserve better" And proceeded to force a move out of he club at a time when it will be nigh on impossible to get a replacement in.

Am I forgetting anything ?

Fuck him and his cockhead agent. Dont care what he did whilst he was here he has dicked us two windows on the trot and shown 0 respect for the club, the shirt or the fans who made him what he is today.
You're accusing me of trying to rewrite history? You can accuse him of feigning injury, but how do you know. You're not on the medical staff at Melwood, so how do you know he wasn't injured. Anyone can make assumptions, but you could be accused of bandying around fake news. Unsubstantiated rumours are not hard-boiled facts. Yes, what you say is true, he did put in a transfer request almost on deadline day, but that was knocked back by the club. And how you can say he more or less told the whole team that they were shit and he deserved better - words fail me, almost. I take it you were present in the dressing room while all this was going down. No, Dan, you wasn't, so all you are doing is making up news to win your argument. FAKE NEWS.

ubermick

Admin
Fake news my fat hairy Irish arse. So it was an imaginary situation that he was mysteriously injured in preseason, was magically fit to play for Brazil, and then suddenly the exact same poor oul' back injury flared up again until after the transfer window closed?

I've a bridge in London to sell you, by the way.

kadronsa

TIA Youth Team
I for one wanted him gone already as soon as I saw his demeanour towards the TV cameras change when celebrating goals or during the "inside Anfield" series, but what I don't understand is why he wanted out so badly that he had to put up 11.5 million of his own money to force the move. Was it really that bad between him and Klopp? Didn't he believe in the progress being made on the pitch? Was he afraid of the resulting competition with the upcoming summer transfers, and thought his value would drop? Wasn't it even in the back of his mind that maybe, just maybe Liverpool could pull another 2005 Champs league miracle so he can go to his dream team already a champs league winner? Did Barca really scare him that it was a now or never opportunity? I mean, playing for Liverpool or Barca, he would still make the Brazil National team for the world cup, so what was the rush for? Or maybe it was for the safety of his family after someone trashed his car and they were forced to move into a hotel.

I am curious to find out but am glad he's gone cause just like some poster already mentioned, our two best games of the season where without him in the team so I trust Klopp all the way!

Fake news my fat hairy Irish arse. So it was an imaginary situation that he was mysteriously injured in preseason, was magically fit to play for Brazil, and then suddenly the exact same poor oul' back injury flared up again until after the transfer window closed?

I've a bridge in London to sell you, by the way.
Irish humour? You have your opinion, mate, and I will have mine. As I alluded to in a previous post there's a lot of people who know what's going on in the medical department at Melwood. I live nearer than you to the training ground and I don't know anything of injuries or fake injuries. I get my news from the official LFC site and go by that.

Da Bulli

A highly marketable yet , in my opinion,over-rated footballer.
Was a defensive liability for the team . True, he often made up for this with some wonderful moments of skill. But not enough to justify any sense of loss for me.
Made for YouTube. Kiddies favourite. Suits Barca to a tee.
On the other hand, this Virgil Van Dijk fella...
Well done LFC, good business.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I for one wanted him gone already as soon as I saw his demeanour towards the TV cameras change when celebrating goals or during the "inside Anfield" series, but what I don't understand is why he wanted out so badly that he had to put up 11.5 million of his own money to force the move. Was it really that bad between him and Klopp? Didn't he believe in the progress being made on the pitch? Was he afraid of the resulting competition with the upcoming summer transfers, and thought his value would drop? Wasn't it even in the back of his mind that maybe, just maybe Liverpool could pull another 2005 Champs league miracle so he can go to his dream team already a champs league winner? Did Barca really scare him that it was a now or never opportunity? I mean, playing for Liverpool or Barca, he would still make the Brazil National team for the world cup, so what was the rush for? Or maybe it was for the safety of his family after someone trashed his car and they were forced to move into a hotel.

I am curious to find out but am glad he's gone cause just like some poster already mentioned, our two best games of the season where without him in the team so I trust Klopp all the way!
I guess they've told him that they probably get a transfer ban soon and that would be the end of story then. But this is only my opinion and could be fake news :J

ubermick

Admin
I guess they've told him that they probably get a transfer ban soon and that would be the end of story then. But this is only my opinion and could be fake news :J
Is your fake news faker than my fake news? We might have to get out the measuring tape to figure out who lives closer to the training ground to ever really know...

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
My final post in this thread (I presume it is due to be locked shortly, mods?).

Happy with how the club have played this in the end, based on the public info re his behaviour, although would have liked to see less cash for appearances - he may not get the second 50 appearances as quickly as he thinks and we should have just had the 9m Champs League qualifying added to the fee.
That all said, Phil was/is a player of truly great ability and from last season was really showing that he could be a proper world class star. So it's a fucking shame he decided to leave in August. Personally I don't think he was as great for us this season - 3/4 appearances excepted - as he was at times clearly playing for himself (shooting when he shouldn't and not closing off angles etc). Dont think we can (or should) try to replace him but look to strengthen our mid3 with 2 quality players who will complement Keita. This will ultimately make us better without Phil. In the meantime I do hope Woodburn gets someore chances as if he's really ever going to reach heights expected he needs to be given a chance to show it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.