Philippe Coutinho (AM) Barcelona

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Flobs, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I quite like the look of both Meyer and Goretzka both at Schalke, Jürgen knows the Bundesliga inside out. If I was seriously considering anything, I wouldn't put it past anyone, but the idea of possibly loaning someone he knows, or trusts. I'd choose or definitely look at loan with view to permanent next summer, if we can agree a fee, in that case it's not regarded as a panic buy, it's a loan and if this person whoever he is, isn't up to standard then give him back to his parent club, if he is good then you already have a few in place and already agreed. What would you guys say in regards to it? I know it's not a great situation, but preferably someone who can play CL would be useful.

2. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Has Phil been registered in our CL squad?

Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot be registered in two CL squads in the same season so the big hint if he stays or goes will be if he is named in our Euro squad. I'd do it regardless at this point just so he cant play in Europe for Barca if he does go.

JSD1 likes this.
  3. okocha10

okocha10 Football Master

I hope Coutinho will change his mind. It's never too late.
    If not, i really don't know what our scouts are doing, Lemar should be our prime target if we are going to lose Coutinho!
    Young, has experience, talented, good with ball, has an eye for a pass, can play left, right and central, great set piece taker. Add 10m to what they are asking and then sell Coutinho for 130-150m. There would be money from that transfer to even buy VVD. But we have to act quickly as possible because there is no more time for our regular 2 months bussines on one transfer.

Mignolet
    TA Matip VVD Moreno
    Hendo Can
    Lemar
    Salah Firmino Mane

Subs from: Karius, Lovren, Gomes, Clyne, Milner, Gini, Grujic, Lallana, Kent, Woodburn, Sturridge, Origi, Solanke.
    On the oher hand it's easy to keep Coutinho in the club, just put 200m price tag on him. Let's see if Barca really want him. Let's see if they rate him as much as we do.
    To change thing around, we have to work on future contracts with the new players, put some clause that say it's forbidden to cry if RM or Barca are after him. Let's say a million for every tear. Every word in brave email transfer request is 2 million.

phnaarg likes this.
  4. YeGra

YeGra Well-Known Member

In that moment I was feeling pretty negative about it all. Although while I am sure Klopp would consider replacements. Trying to find a player available who would fit the bill and get both the club and player to agree to make the move happen in 3 weeks is a tough ask.

As has been said, the transfer request comes at a tough time.

Hearing Gerrard, who comes from an inside point of view, that is more encouraging. I think Klopp is not too happy with the situation but I also think he's being slightly diplomatic.

He might recognise the weight of a transfer request and perhaps wants to respect it. So if the owners do end up fully rejecting it he hasn't weighed in, which might be the first step in repairing any damage between Klopp and Coutinho. Not saying the onus is on Klopp to do that...but he being the bigger man by not saying it's up to him.

5. Manta Red

Manta Red Is sick of zonal marking

I really don't know what is going through Phil's head st the moment. If all is true and he wants to leave is it too late to get a quality replacement? At the same time if we do force him to stay will he be in the right frame of mind knowing that his head is now turned? It would be like continuing living with the girl that dumped you whilst she brings a succession of new lovers through the door...whore :((

6. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

I think we all accepted a long time ago that he would not stay forever but after they way this has been done then i would love it , love it , if we offered £135m for dembele and nicked him from dortmund! That would really hit barcaloonas with a hammer. Keep coutinho and tell him he can win the champions league if he stays - the kids version and send him to train with tranmere! lol:celebrating::well done::well done:

mac2005 likes this.
  7. Poor Scouser Tommy

Poor Scouser Tommy Sweet as a nut.

Coutinho would only be cup-tied if he played for LFC in the group stages of the Champions League. The rules state that he would still be allowed to take the field for Barca in the CL group stages after appearing for Liverpool in the play-off stage.

No hope of relief there, I'm afraid.

DanLFC and norwegian wood like this.
  8. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Are the last 2 posts in the twitter thread suggesting Klopp wants Coutinho gone.

jabu likes this.
  9. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

i think so, i think klopp wants him gone...

scouseheadross likes this.
  10. GermanRed

GermanRed Well-Known Member

I believe the squads will be registered after the qualification stage.
    If Coutinho is involved in one of the two legs vs. Hoffenheim and LFC reaches the group stages Coutinho would not be able to play for Barcelona in their CL campaign (I'm not sure but I think he would be allowed after the group stage).
    If Coutinho is involved vs Hoffenheim and LFC fails to qualify for the group stage I think he could still play for Barca in the CL this year.

11. Molby39

Molby39 Member

If Klopp wants him gone, then let him go and move on.

kwala, phnaarg and jabu like this.
  12. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

i think they should sell him...klopp really looked unhappy. well played by barca, coutinho and family member...but not for less than £130 million

Molby39 likes this.
  13. mac2005

mac2005 Well-Known Member

if klopp wants him gone then put him on the first plane to barca with at least 120m coming the other way. fuck him nobody is bigger than our club.

richieh10, Molby39 and jabu like this.
  14. DonnieDarko

DonnieDarko New Member

We need to keep him, whatever Phil or Klopp think. Otherwise we're a selling club, with a known and working strategy of getting out of the club at any time. Players coming to LFC should not expect the club to let them go whenever they want. They should know they will be forced to respect the club, supporters and coaches.

15. LFCFFC

LFCFFC Active Member

Won't place too much stock in a couple of tweets, but it'd be understandable if Klopp was seething at Coutinho and wanted him gone immediately. I can imagine he sees it as a massive betrayal of the club, the team and the manager himself due to the timing of it as much as anything. Yes they're all professionals and need to just get on with it, but the whole saga has to be having a serious impact on the atmosphere at the club at arguably the most critical point of the season.

He's had plenty of experienced with players being poached before and although in some circumstances he's dug his heels in (Lewandowski in particular), there has to be a tipping point where enough is enough. Although our transfer business has been underwhelming to say the least, but Klopp strikes me as pragmatic enough to only demand we shift Coutinho if he has confidence in bringing in additional players in the remaining 3 weeks. I really hope it's not just out of stubbornness and we don't start September with a weaker squad than last year.

Playing devils advocate, I almost feel for FSG too, assuming the situation is as has been reported (and I can't stress that enough before anyone comes after me!). If they sell they'll be accused of being in it for the cash and not caring about winning trophies. If they stick to their word and demand that we keep Coutinho they'll start a war with the manager. That may ultimately result in them losing a fan base which is already teetering towards a revolt. It'd be a shocking situation to be in.

As I said though, everyone's basing it on assumptions drawn from his post-match interview and a few unsubstantiated tweets. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, but I can't see much good coming from it either way. It's fair to say it's hard not to get depressed at how this season has started given how rosy things looks a few weeks ago.

scouseheadross, S_J_R, Livvy and 3 others like this.
  16. YeGra

YeGra Well-Known Member

After torturing ourselves about getting Keita and VVD, the Coutinho transfer request is the sucker punch.

We honestly don't know how the 3 weeks now will pan out. All the analysis of quotes and statements and Twitter feeds and news articles...they meant nothing so far.

This thread even got locked for a bit due to the club statement.

We can spend the rest of the three weeks torturing ourselves out of the outcome or we can just wait now. It's not worth the energy.

The squad we have now will determine the Hoffenheim game. Which is so vital for morale at this early stage.

After that we will see how far our actual squad can take us. It will be tough for us though, I imagine.

17. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

We are a selling club. Almost every club is a selling club. Maybe, because of money, there are three English clubs that aren't selling clubs; Utd, City and CFC. Add to that Barca, RM, PSG, Bayern and maybe Juventus. All other clubs are selling clubs. IMO coutinho should be the next Liverpool player to be sold; for as much as we can get. If we can't get Insigne as a replacement, it appears that Max Meyer is keen to work with Klopp. Don't think he'd cost a lot. So then we get rid of the traitorous little bastard and get on with the season.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Molby39 and NoRushtoscore like this.
  18. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Meyer is a good player, I like him and certainly wouldn't mind us getting him, been saying this for a while, I think he might have a great future under the right manager.
    He's not an instant solution/replacement/starter however and still much more of a prospect, he'd add depth to the squad, but he's nowhere near Coutinho's level atm.

19. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Real Madrid are the only club that's stood the test of time. Chelsea, City and PSG haven't YET sold anyone they wanted to keep since they got money but for City and PSG at least that's not that long in terms of football. Barca have been poached by Real and now PSG. Juve have been poached by loads. Bayern lost Kroos to Real quite recently too. Real and maybe a case to be made for Chelsea. But due to revolving door style transfer policies at those clubs most players find themselves surplus to requirements to one manager or another at some point so even then it's hard to tell.

Klopptinho and RedSeven like this.
  20. NoRushtoscore

NoRushtoscore New Member

If it's getting to the point that it's creating a rift between the club/owners and Klopp then that makes it an easy decision. Do whatever Klopp wants. If that's to sell a player that has gone back on his word of only a few weeks ago then so be it, and get whatever we can from Barca. If Klopp wants him to stay and he agrees then I'm sure the PR team can come up with something together to smooth the transition.
    FSGs statement means nothing compared to the future of the club. If they need to make themselves look a little silly by selling a player they publically said they wouldn't, for the good of the club, then they need to sell him and take a short term hit to their pride.
    Selling Coutinho would be bad-but we can replace him and recover (if that's now or in January), but replacing Klopp would be a disaster.

mac2005 and Red Skip like this.
  21. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Hold on, I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to sell him. Right now, we hold all the cards. He signed a 5-year contract in January, which crucially does not have a release clause. We know that apart from their usual pile of cash, Barcelona also have €222m burning in their pockets.

I'd say new world record fee or no deal.

22. mac2005

mac2005 Well-Known Member

so hard to read the situation though. does klopp want him gone now after cous camp starting throwing mud or is it fsg that want to cash in? whatever happening there does not seem to be united front at the club.

23. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Personally have no doubt that Klopp is extremely disappointed and angry about the timing, but I don't think he "wants" Coutinho gone. Probably just wants to focus on the Hoffenheim match right now and leave the Coutinho situation for other people at the club to deal with atm.

24. DonnieDarko

DonnieDarko New Member

I think Klopp should be completely fine if Phil stays. If he causes issues in the dressing room he can always be isolated like Sakho untill he changes his attitude.
    Whoever consults Phil on this whole story, he's a huge dick. I don't think Phil is dumb enough to cause real troubles in the team even if he's told to by his advisors.

mac2005 and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  25. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

If the decision has been made for Coutinho to go I hope at least one replacement is already lined up for everyone's sake.

Liverpool then need to put their neck on the line and throw a 60 million bid in for VVD but also be willing to significantly increase the offer if Southampton say they want say 75 million etc.

I'd then add another winger if Coutinhos replacement is better in a central role than out wide.

26. Barnestormer

Barnestormer Left wing.

@Seamus

That Gerrard article/notes etc looks quite self assured - I suppose he would know having tried to leave twice himself, but it looks like Gerrard knows Cou will be staying one more year - do you read that?

27. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

If we were to sell Phil now and add a centre back, centre mid and a wide player, I'd be fairly content. Quite frankly I'm doing a bit of a u turn on this. As long as we don't sell him with no other players lined up then I'm fine with it as long as it is what Klopp wants.

Dave-D and Scott Jones like this.
  28. jayrrardno8

jayrrardno8 TIA Reserve Team

Klopp has said all along since he has been Manager.
    If a players doesn't show commitment and desire and doesnt want to play for Liverpool
    Then he goes simple he doesn't want all the distraction amongst the squad.
    Also we arnt going to get anyone in before transfer window closes as it takes us about 6 months to sign any player were other clubs seem to get it done no time a tall.

29. Spitfire

Spitfire Resident Realist

Fuck em, tell him we are not selling him under any circumstances. Also let him know he's more than welcome to warm the bench for the season if he doesn't like it and throw away any chance of going to the world cup - in what may be his prime and best chance to win it........is what I'd like to say........if only.

Klopptinho likes this.
  30. Dan Glingcock

Dan Glingcock New Member

The midfield yesterday was clueless . Henderson is just not the standard required for a club that wants to win things. Wiji is rubbish and Can mostly lumbers about with a few good touches here and there . Coutinho stands high above all of them yet he is leaving ....just a minute while I blow my nose.....God ,I'm like a girl......I'm going bra shopping to cheer myself up.