• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Philippe Coutinho (MF) Internazionale

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We need to complete this quickly and move on to the defence - a CB,LB and DM.

Btw - Welcome lad(if indeed he has signed). Hope the injuries are not stopping from fullfilling your potential.

Offal is not crashing anymore these days. Even with Sturrudige it hold good. Finally they have increased the server's capacity.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
We need to complete this quickly and move on to the defence - a CB,LB and DM.

Btw - Welcome lad(if indeed he has signed). Hope the injuries are not stopping from fullfilling your potential.
Ain't gonna happen this window unfortunately as it would need somone at the club to have had some actual foresight to cover those bases; and anyway, if anyone else were due to arrive we'd have almost certainly heard something by now. Lame. Happy about Coutinho though.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Ain't gonna happen this window unfortunately as it would need somone at the club to have had some actual foresight to cover those bases; and anyway, if anyone else were due to arrive we'd have almost certainly heard something by now. Lame. Happy about Coutinho though.
Assaidi came in under the radar - although he's remained under that radar since joining.Never say never

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Assaidi came in under the radar - although he's remained under that radar since joining.Never say never
I remember reading somewhere that he wasn't a Rodgers signing, that the deal was done before Brendan joined. Maybe that explains why he's barely featured?

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I remember reading somewhere that he wasn't a Rodgers signing, that the deal was done before Brendan joined. Maybe that explains why he's barely featured?
He wasn't part of the list of names Comolli said he had planned on signing in the summer, which included Ba and Kagawa, so I'm a bit skeptical of that. Is it from a reliable source?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Nope. Where were you last summer. He joined us after Rodgers joined us. We went to get Tello but couldn't. We heard that Ajax is not willing to pay the asking price for Assaidi. We went for him since he was cheap than what we wanted to spend for Tello.

rab

People were crying out for attacking reinforcements all through the first half of the season. A couple of shaky performances against physical teams and some are going to come out the other side of January disappointed with us 'only' adding another £20m of attacking talent to the squad. It will take more than two windows for Rodgers to get the squad he wants and i'd be pretty happy with the addition of Sturridge and Coutinho given our over reliance of Suarez and Sterling so far this season and im sure LB, DM and CB areas will be priorities for the summer. Perhaps even without focusing on getting others out first which would be nice.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
He wasn't part of the list of names Comolli said he had planned on signing in the summer, which included Ba and Kagawa, so I'm a bit skeptical of that. Is it from a reliable source?
Can't remember the source but i think it was a respectable one, read that a couple of months ago on here somewhere.Makes sense cos he's barely featured.What's the latest on this fella Coutinho then? Has he met Mr Iqbal yet? Anybody know what's happening? Any pics?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Nope. Where were you last summer. He joined us after Rodgers joined us. We went to get Tello but couldn't. We heard that Ajax is not willing to pay the asking price for Assaidi. We went for him since he was cheap than what we wanted to spend for Tello.
Thanks for clearing that up. Now, has this fella passed his medical yet?

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
It would appear that he'll be our new No. 10.

LFC Joe ‏@JoeLFC9
Our new number 10!!!! #lfc #LFCFamily #LFCFollowback pic.twitter.com/hm7Svm1p

https://twitter.com/JoeLFC9/status/296273767922012160/photo/1

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
People were crying out for attacking reinforcements all through the first half of the season. A couple of shaky performances against physical teams and some are going to come out the other side of January disappointed with us 'only' adding another £20m of attacking talent to the squad. It will take more than two windows for Rodgers to get the squad he wants and i'd be pretty happy with the addition of Sturridge and Coutinho given our over reliance of Suarez and Sterling so far this season and im sure LB, DM and CB areas will be priorities for the summer. Perhaps even without focusing on getting others out first which would be nice.
Quite true could do with a DM cover if available but I am pretty happy with what we have if Coutinho arrives and unlike Stoke both Westham and Everton are different to that overly physical side and as someone pointed out Norwich play a similar way and we coped fine.

That backline always looked a worry if I was honest on Sunday but without injuries to the likes of Enrique, Johnson we would have coped much better, Enrique especially.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Too many photoshops emerging from Twitter, I think I'll believe it only when it's announced on the OS.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Yeah, I have to admit that right hand is really suspect. Well, enough excitement. I'm off to bed.

Lucas

Number 20 if that photo is correct, which I presume it is since we have no current no.20

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Yeah that photo is the only one that looks legit.

This just means we need a big summer signing to take that #10 shirt :D

Though my head tells me we won't be filling the #9 or #10 shirts until we qualify for CL.. :\

And I hope the #7 shirt isn't available for Coutinho for a long, long time...

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Yeah that photo is the only one that looks legit.

This just means we need a big summer signing to take that #10 shirt :D

Though my head tells me we won't be filling the #9 or #10 shirts until we qualify for CL.. :\

And I hope the #7 shirt isn't available for Coutinho for a long, long time...
Worried about big signings. We make horrendous goof ups. Heck we might sign a rising star for 35m£. O wait....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Consensus here was that the defence was sorted and we needed attackers.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: TFC

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Worried about big signings. We make horrendous goof ups. Heck we might sign a rising star for 35m£. O wait....
True, but we also signed a lot of rubbish "small" signings. Quite a few during Rafa's reign. Bottom line - we should only spend big if the player is our first choice or heavily scouted / highly rated. Neither Carroll nor Downing were our first choices for their positions. Yet we spent big anyway, just cuz we wanted to fill the position. I think that is what FSG are trying to avoid in the future, which is why they pulled back on Dempsey even though his position needed filling.

Spending big should only be for established stars (big diff between signing RVP and signing PL noob, Carroll) or "rising stars" that are chased after by all the big clubs in Europe. e.g. I doubt other clubs spoke of Carroll the way they speak of Damiao. AC Milan, aside ;)

Coutinho, this is a player that much of Europe is aware of. As opposed to, say, Tom Ince.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Consensus here was that the defence was sorted and we needed attackers.

Ridiculous.
Probably because our first-choice defenders were fit and we could persuade ourselves that the backups were more ready than it actually seems they are.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Probably because our first-choice defenders were fit and we could persuade ourselves that the backups were more ready than it actually seems they are.
Even in hindsight its ridiculous. If they went and bought Sissoko and a versatile defender instead of Sturridge and Coutinho, it would have been the single dumbest transfer window the club has ever had.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm still baffled that over the summer the prospect of Skrtel being sold drove this place apoplectic with rage, and now apparently we need to replace him.

We are still strong in defence. Maybe a left back, but we couldn't and shouldn't have prioritised a restructure of the back line this window.

I suspect a commanding CB who can be the vocal presence that Rodgers is looking for will be on the radar, as well as a deputy for Lucas (or replacement if he can't recover his fitness). But this window we needed attackers. As everyone rightly said.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Even in hindsight its ridiculous. If they went and bought Sissoko and a versatile defender instead of Sturridge and Coutinho, it would have been the single dumbest transfer window the club has ever had.
Well, yes, that would have been crazy, attack was obviously a priority. I can see why people are starting to say we need to look at the defence in the summer though.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Well, yes, that would have been crazy, attack was obviously a priority. I can see why people are starting to say we need to look at the defence in the summer though.
Yeah in the summer I can see it as well. The discussion started with someone made a statement that it was a lack of foresight that is resulting in us not going after a CB/LB and DM during this window. The reality is it was the use of common sense, not a lack of foresight, that has us buying Sturridge + Coutinho instead of a LB/CB and DM during this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.