• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Phillippe Coutinho (LW/AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Picking this up from the Unreliable Thread. There’s a bit of talk about this now, so let’s have a thread on it

If we could pull Barca’s pants down with this - maybe taking him for £70m - it would be hilarious. We could send them a thank you card for buying us Alisson.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Picking this up from the Unreliable Thread. There’s a bit of talk about this now, so let’s have a thread on it

If we could pull Barca’s pants down with this - maybe taking him for £70m - it would be hilarious. We could send them a thank you card for buying us Alisson.
I wouldn’t take him back, after his “bad back” shenanigans, but if Klopp wants him that’s all that matters.

Given that they still owe us in the region of £55-90m (depending on which source you believe), I wouldn’t pay a penny for him.

We have him for nothing and strike off the unpaid debt, or we don’t have him at all.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I wouldn’t take him back, after his “bad back” shenanigans, but if Klopp wants him that’s all that matters.

Given that they still owe us in the region of £55-90m (depending on which source you believe), I wouldn’t pay a penny for him.

We have him for nothing and strike off the unpaid debt, or we don’t have him at all.
I strongly doubt that this will happen, but it would be glorious if we could sell him for 140m and buy him back for half that 18 months later.

If there is any substance to this, I expect a lot of articles being put out there about it. Just to guage the reaction of fans. Coutinho has struggled under the pressure at Barca, in front of a hostile crowd. I think the club will want to be sure he’d get a reasonably warm response.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I strongly doubt that this will happen, but it would be glorious if we could sell him for 140m and buy him back for half that 18 months later.

If there is any substance to this, I expect a lot of articles being put out there about it. Just to guage the reaction of fans. Coutinho has struggled under the pressure at Barca, in front of a hostile crowd. I think the club will want to be sure he’d get a reasonably warm response.
I believe, if Jürgen can persuade the Liverpool fans to compromise and let bygones be bygones and Phillipe proves himself to work hard and show his brilliance on the pitch, I suppose we can kind of forgive him don't you think?

If it happens though. Barca are in a complicated situation, they are trying to get Neymar back and PSG want something in return also.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I believe, if Jürgen can persuade the Liverpool fans to compromise and let bygones be bygones and Phillipe proves himself to work hard and show his brilliance on the pitch, I suppose we can kind of forgive him don't you think?

If it happens though. Barca are in a complicated situation, they are trying to get Neymar back and PSG want something in return also.
I think if it were to happen, there wouldnt be much i'll feeling shown by fans, if he comes back showing humility and desire to win a starting spot and accept being part of the family again.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Idle speculation prompted by the Griezmann deal, and doubly, our game has moved on since he left. The only attraction is the oneupmanship over Barca. A quick break attack slows advanced left, pause cut inside, shoot high and wide, cut to just missed face, was a far more recurring memory. Dont see where he gets in the starting eleven.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I think if it were to happen, there wouldnt be much i'll feeling shown by fans, if he comes back showing humility and desire to win a starting spot and accept being part of the family again.
I agree, if he shows sincere remorse, he will be okay. Sometimes, I feel, we are quite harsh and demanding as fans. However, on the other hand, we can be very generous and big hearted as well.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I'd happily take him back if it is a cut fee as expected. I think we should set it up though so Phil has to show he REALLY wants to come back. He was happy enough to throw some money in to get his move to Barca showing them he wanted to go there, maybe the club should make it so he has to pay some towards getting him back here. I'm not talking tens of millions but more a show of faith that he wants to come here and only here.

The only other person i've wanted to see here this year (however unlikely) is Mbappe as he would cover the front 3. I suppose with Phil he would cover that in a way in that if one of our front 3 went down for long term we'd revert to a forward 2 with Phil in behind without too much loss of quality. If the price goes above 80m though i'd actually prefer waiting till next year and the slim chance of Mbappe, this is coming from someone who still thinks Phil has loads to offer btw.

Flobs

FADA
I'd happily take him back if it is a cut fee as expected. I think we should set it up though so Phil has to show he REALLY wants to come back. He was happy enough to throw some money in to get his move to Barca showing them he wanted to go there, maybe the club should make it so he has to pay some towards getting him back here. I'm not talking tens of millions but more a show of faith that he wants to come here and only here.

The only other person i've wanted to see here this year (however unlikely) is Mbappe as he would cover the front 3. I suppose with Phil he would cover that in a way in that if one of our front 3 went down for long term we'd revert to a forward 2 with Phil in behind without too much loss of quality. If the price goes above 80m though i'd actually prefer waiting till next year and the slim chance of Mbappe, this is coming from someone who still thinks Phil has loads to offer btw.
A 150k/week cut in wages would go a long way. That's £7.8 million per year.

I have also thought about squad harmony particularly how Mané would feel considering how hard he's been working for us. No way would I accept Coutinho coming back if it meant Mané pushing for a move to RM for example.

My grudge if Coutinho came back so soon after leaving wouldn't be with Coutinho but the Club. Just what would they be thinking?

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
I'm not keen at all. He'd need to be f'in cheap. Wages would have to be less than our top earners (at least initially).

If we are seriously considering him, I'd prefer a loan (2 years would be acceptable) with an option to buy at a defined price less than whatever Barca still owe so they still have a Coutinho debt on their books. And that is still possibly overpaying. He's had a shite 18 months and they need to get rid for financial and footballing reasons; when they bought him they overpaid and shit all over our season (or so they thought) by taking him in January after causing much disruption. We need to make them (and Phil) hurt for this - personally I'd prefer we swerve altogether unless we are really talking bargain basement (and I think that would be 40m not 60m or 70m) taken off the final (not the beginning) of their remaining payments owing. They are cheap cunts who need to be absolutely bent over and brutalised so they never forget. They stole Mascherano from us very cheaply (similar price as I recall that we paid for him from West Ham where he barely featured and looked dreadful); took Suarez for so-so money and they also owe us for their ugly step sister's dealings (Real Madrid) who fucked us over re Owen (8m and Nunez! for the ballon d'or winner - then asking double for him a year later, so we couldn't get him back, when they wanted to discard him) and McManaman (tapped up on a free). The poison from these two disgusting organisations spreads far beyond Spainish and has infected the whole of football and they need to be punished, repeatedly and harshly.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
It would be an interesting dynamic if he came back. While he was still here, when we were pushing for goals late in games, a lot of times we'd give Phil the bal, watch, and hope he scored a worldie.

It's kind of obvious, but the team and players have progressed quite a lot, and we're no longer dependent on one player to pull off some magic. Taking Phil out of the equation allowed allowed our front three to really step up and take accountability, and assimilating Phil back into the mix could be fun to watch. Where would he even play? Mane's back up? One of the CMs?

If klopp wants him back, I have no issues with it. I doubt there is real interest. At least at this point he'll realize the grass is indeed the greenest at Anfield and shouldn't dream about his big move elsewhere.

carragold

TIA Youth Team
I just dont see it happening. He made up his mind he wanted to leave so don't see him admitting he made a mistake and wanted to come back. I think it's more possible he will move onto another big club before he comes back to Liverpool. If Liverpool are open to the option of him coming back they are going to want a very good deal for it to happen which i think lots of other clubs could match and I would see Coutinho choosing another club before us.

It's nice to dream, he admitting he made a mistake leaving.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A 150k/week cut in wages would go a long way. That's £7.8 million per year.

I have also thought about squad harmony particularly how Mané would feel considering how hard he's been working for us. No way would I accept Coutinho coming back if it meant Mané pushing for a move to RM for example.

My grudge if Coutinho came back so soon after leaving wouldn't be with Coutinho but the Club. Just what would they be thinking?
It's unlikely Coutinho would try the same moves to force his way out a second time from us, and we potentially make £70m from this, while having the cash to upgrade the squad last summer - so from the club's view there isn't a problem, is there?

The key is whether Klopp and his players want him back, and that might be the greater issue. If we don't sign him that will probably be why.

LFCFFC

I have to admit, as much as I dislike the little snake and have immensely enjoyed the schadenfreude his time at Barcelona has provided so far, he would be the perfect signing for us in many ways. Covers LW and can also play through the midfield as a more creative attacking outlet to offer something different. He also has that consistently deadly long-range shot and knows the system we play in, so integration in that aspect wouldn't be difficult.

However, he and his wanker of an agent badly disrespected the manager, the playing group and the club. The antics his camp/Barca pulled in trying to force a move were contemptuous. Feigning injury, using his family to try and tarnish Jurgen and deliberately agitating at key points throughout the first half of the season...it's very easy to argue that his actions made any return virtually impossible.

Obviously if the boss is cool with it, the playing group seem receptive to a return and he'd be willing to take a significant pay cut, I'd still welcome him back (through gritted teeth at first admittedly). It's such a complex situation though, especially factoring in the size of the ego of the club he currently plays for. Imagine the scale of the defeat they'd have to admit if we got him back for a fraction of the cost we sold him for, after using the funds we gained from his sale to knock them out of the CL. You couldn't make it up.

I don't see it happening and I'm fine with that. It wouldn't be even remotely surprising after this bullshit Joorabchian has spouted about it being so difficult for him to end up at a rival to see him at a Manchester club or Chelsea in a year or two.

Dave-D

I don’t think Klopp would want him back. The team was to reliant on him when he was here before and now the team dynamics have completely changed and I don’t think Klopp would want to go back to the way it was.

I also find it funny how some say Klopp wouldn’t want Depay or Dembele because of their attitude yet think he’d want a player who faked injury to help push his move to Barcelona through.

GaryBarlow99

Still haven't replaced him so if Klopp wants him then I would accept him back. We are a forgiving bunch.

Any examples of players who have left for another club and come back a year or two later for less money?

Dave-D

Any chance of a poll for who would want him back and who wouldn’t want him back. :well done:

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

If it happened I don't think there'd be much issue with the match day crowd. They might not cheer him as much as they did at first, but the first time he cut inside and pulled off a worldie, it would be business as usual.

I think the thing for Klopp is making sure that a return wouldn't screw up the presumably excellent atmosphere in the changing room.

Klopp has the final word, so I'll back whatever decision is made. But personally I'd skip this one unless the price is sub £50m

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I don’t think Klopp would want him back. The team was to reliant on him when he was here before and now the team dynamics have completely changed and I don’t think Klopp would want to go back to the way it was.

I also find it funny how some say Klopp wouldn’t want Depay or Dembele because of their attitude yet think he’d want a player who faked injury to help push his move to Barcelona through.
Coutinho's behaviour is not as bad as that as Depay or Dembele.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Still haven't replaced him so if Klopp wants him then I would accept him back. We are a forgiving bunch.

Any examples of players who have left for another club and come back a year or two later for less money?
The only one I can think of is Rushie, and from memory, when he left for Juve, it was on good terms with the club and had the clubs blessing

Dave-D

Coutinho's behaviour is not as bad as that as Depay or Dembele.
Dembele went AWOL and damaged a rental property, Depay has also previously missed training. Coutinho faked injury and got his people to release stories to the press that he didn’t get on with Klopp.

Dembele tops poor behaviour. Coutinho and Depay same level or Coutinho slightly worse.

lfc.8

Do it. If we were desperate to keep him then there should be reason enough to go back for him. Top player and would add a lot to this squad.

Flobs

FADA
so from the club's view there isn't a problem, is there?
That's dismissive!
I was talking of my impression of the club not of the clubs.
Really annoying to be playing the games of Barça and a capricious child. Imo the club should make a strong denial of any interest in Coutinho. We are being used and that is sickening for me.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Coutinho is a quality player, he would settle back into training and the club in general fairly seamlessly I'd imagine.
Personally speaking I would take him back for half of what we paid. His issue would be getting back into the side as well as winning the fan base over.
I don't think it will happen especially if his relationship with Klopp was badly damaged by his carry on before the move.
Regardless of what happens we royally fucked Barca with the deal in essence using his sale to put No6 in the cabinet and destroying them in the semi for good measure.
No matter what we do now we are already the big winners from the Coutinho sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.