• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Phillippe Coutinho (LW/AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Nah, It's Klopp aiming to deflect. Liverpool of late esp with the Fabinho / Allison transfers have been known to moderate what they want their "ITK" to publish.

[email protected]

Kinda given up myself. After the CL final was on such a high and really thought we'd capitalise on it and reveal a stonker. Then the first report by some no mark came out and like, 'yeah right, dafuck we aint spending' and then pretty much everyone credible followed suit at various points.

After the stellar transfer process since 2016 we really should trust the team behind it on this one. I don't quite agree with it but, there we are.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
or a word out to coutinho stating that he must reduce his wage demands

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
or a word out to coutinho stating that he must reduce his wage demands
No, i think it can be taken at face value. Prior to the last season our two, our pot of money for transfers was around £30-40m. While TV and Prize money may have gone up last season, so did the amount we paid for renewing contracts and bonuses, so i dont know off the top of my head how much that pot is worth this summer.

We also havent sold all the players this summer that we were expected to. We're not getting anything for Clyne now, and Origi is staying.

Then factor in the growth in fees clubs are probably asking for their players, and the fall in the value of the £, we dont have much room for spending. Finally, Klopp and the recruitment team are working on targets 18months+ away and have to make sure funds will be available for them when we need it.

Jaytinho

This is somewhat related to the Coutinho quotes but, Klopp is playing mind games now. These quotes are so weird. Has he ever been this open during a window about not signing players / players being too expensive etc?

"Liverpool is a long-term project. The team is really good. Will there be difficult situations? Probably. There would be if we bring in a new player, or two or three. I didn't say we won't do anything, it is going to be a big window for sure but people don't think about the people who are already in."

Link: Jurgen Klopp rubbishes Gareth Bale to Liverpool talk

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This is somewhat related to the Coutinho quotes but, Klopp is playing mind games now. These quotes are so weird. Has he ever been this open during a window about not signing players / players being too expensive etc?

"Liverpool is a long-term project. The team is really good. Will there be difficult situations? Probably. There would be if we bring in a new player, or two or three. I didn't say we won't do anything, it is going to be a big window for sure but people don't think about the people who are already in."

I think so. He has always said though that he only wants to bring players in who want to be here. He is willing to back himself and Edwards to find players within the price bracket they can afford. They may just not be players that will start in the upcoming season (such as that young winger from Fulham and the dutch CB.

Flobs

FADA

It's just saying everything but nothing. In other words keeping journalists happy whilst not giving them anything. Much better than our statement about Pepe.

zman89

I think we're leaving it late to get some bargains. The only problem is that the english transfer window closes a month before other countries so some teams may not be that desperate to sell as they will still have a month to sell to other teams. We'll see. Personally I think we will go in for Werner and a fullback.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Kinda given up myself. After the CL final was on such a high and really thought we'd capitalise on it and reveal a stonker. Then the first report by some no mark came out and like, 'yeah right, dafuck we aint spending' and then pretty much everyone credible followed suit at various points.

After the stellar transfer process since 2016 we really should trust the team behind it on this one. I don't quite agree with it but, there we are.
I think it is what it is. We are not going to be playing in the Coutinho-Bale market. We are not going to try to massively alter the side. Any additions are going to be with an eye to a longer horizon and/or more incremental improvements.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think it is what it is. We are not going to be playing in the Coutinho-Bale market. We are not going to try to massively alter the side. Any additions are going to be with an eye to a longer horizon and/or more incremental improvements.
But why would we play in the Coutinho/Bale market when we are clearly waiting till next year to take control of the Mbape market?

red arizona scott

I think this nailed it. To spend huge on a developed player it would be for a gaping hole or huge upgrade (VVD, Alisson)--and none now exit on the current squad. Not clear Coutinho makes our 11 better vs Kieta or AOC or Gini in ACM-all aspects of Klopp's football and teammates considered.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
He is going have to make a decision on Kent and Wilson pretty soon, if they aren't being kept then he needs to consider someone in their place, considering the lack of break the front three have had we can't go into a season with that front 3 from last night.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
No need to seriously rock the European Champions boat yacht.

That's the risk you take this summer with any decision you make. Klopp believes in a.) himself, b.) last season's squad, c.) the the players returning to the side, d.) the youth players, and e.) the recruitment staff. I don't think he wants to make any major changes unless he is absolutely confident that it's the right decision.

South American Red

I think that what Klopp said implies is that he somehow wants Coutinho, just he is not willing to pay a big fee.

Wait to see if Barca panicks and lets him go in a reasonable price. Seems to me a wise decision.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
The comments on this tweet are so ridiculous. There are people wanting FSG out because we aren't buying anyone in this window, which btw hasn't even closed yet. Isn't our progress so damn visible and isn't there even an iota of trust in what the club is doing?
I honestly think the only reason why we are not investing this season is because Klopp doesn't want to. Nothing to do with FSG.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
He is going have to make a decision on Kent and Wilson pretty soon, if they aren't being kept then he needs to consider someone in their place, considering the lack of break the front three have had we can't go into a season with that front 3 from last night.
From what I have seen of Kent, during his time at Rangers,
I dont think he is good enough for where we want to be,
he was a stand out player in the SPL, but he didnt seem to have that little bit extra to suggest he would make it at LFC

I have spoken to gers fans about him as well, and although they would take him back
in a heart beat, the general opinion was that he would be a very good player in SPL,
but just another player in the EPL, ie nothing special.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
From what I have seen of Kent, during his time at Rangers,
I dont think he is good enough for where we want to be,
he was a stand out player in the SPL, but he didnt seem to have that little bit extra to suggest he would make it at LFC

I have spoken to gers fans about him as well, and although they would take him back
in a heart beat, the general opinion was that he would be a very good player in SPL,
but just another player in the EPL, ie nothing special.
I think he would be good enough versus the fodder and lower league cup teams. If he does well this year but still not good enough for us we can sell him to Bournemouth or someone for a healthy profit. If we go out of cups early and hes surplus to requirements we can loan him out in January if he wants to play. Hes been at the club since he was 7, its probably been his dream to play for the club since then. I think he deserves a shot even as 5th choice if he wants to fight for a place.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I honestly think the only reason why we are not investing this season is because Klopp doesn't want to. Nothing to do with FSG.
I think so too. His recent interview in the Echo is very telling, it gives us a lot of information about how he and the club approach the balance between team/player development and buying players.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think that what Klopp said implies is that he somehow wants Coutinho, just he is not willing to pay a big fee.

Wait to see if Barca panicks and lets him go in a reasonable price. Seems to me a wise decision.
I think it's also his wages, he'll be on £200k + at Barca, so unless he is willing to take a huge pay cut inline with his "rotation" status it won't work.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Why are people assuming that we’re going to start the season with Kent, Origi and Wilson as our front three?

Mo, Sadio and Bobby will all be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.