Phillippe Coutinho (LW/AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
In the world of professional football, it’s very unlikely any of our players are holding a grudge against. I think it’s more likely he’d be welcomed back.

What would scupper this is either a feeling that the team has moved on and the staff feel Coutinho would be a regression, or his wages - we won’t be paying anything like what he get at Barca.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Would love to see him in a red shirt again. But don't see it happening. Not convinced he is a Klopp player. I think Havertz is the guy we should be looking to sign.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I don’t want him back,but if,and I think it is a massive IF,Klopp wants him back,then that is his call.
I can’t forget his petulant behaviour to eventually get his dream team,he got it,it turned to shit,tough.
Do I think he would pull the same act again? Yes,anything is easier,second time around.
And it would need to be a low fee,which I’m betting Barca won’t wear.

Herb

I’d happily take him back. Quality player for us and since his departure there has been a lot of revisionism regarding his LFC career. Was easily our best player for a large portion of his time here.

I do wonder what kind of damage has been done to him mentally since he’s been away though and if he has it within himself to get back to the levels he reached at times. I’m sure the environment here would give him every chance and obviously at his age he still has time on his side.

Alright Now

I strongly doubt that this will happen, but it would be glorious if we could sell him for 140m and buy him back for half that 18 months later.

If there is any substance to this, I expect a lot of articles being put out there about it. Just to guage the reaction of fans. Coutinho has struggled under the pressure at Barca, in front of a hostile crowd. I think the club will want to be sure he’d get a reasonably warm response.
I think the reactions of the current players could be even more important to to gauge than that of the fans.

Flobs

FADA
If the joke is ‘player agitates for moves, pisses off club and fans, before getting move and ironically flopping’ I don’t think Lovren ought to be the one making it :)
I was thinking more in the lines of 4-0, in TAA pocket and of course N°6. lol

kwala

TIA Regular
Fuck him. Let him rot. Not sure Klopp would take him back, he is big into players wanting to play for the club, and team morale. Coutinho forced his way out, feigned injury, paid £10m himself to join barca. Doesn't sit to well with the club or Klopps ethos.

RedSeven

On the one road
I strongly doubt that this will happen, but it would be glorious if we could sell him for 140m and buy him back for half that 18 months later.
What are you talking about,we didn't sell him.,we loaned him to barca:J. We loan out players all the time for varying fees.

Notasuperfan

I think at this point of our club's evolution, we do not need Coutinho at all. Coutinho is a true blue number 10 that must have the play to go through him for him to be effective. Liverpool is now a club that focuses very much on quick transitions from defence to attack and vice versa. Unless Coutinho has a passing range and accuracy that helps in transitions as a peak Xavi/Iniesta/Xabi Alonso, Coutinho will not fit into either Barca or the current Liverpool.

We have players that actually shares his creativity workload, with the likes of Firmino, Milner, AOC and even a Fabinho chipping in at times. If Keita actually lives up to his potential, that is one more player to share the creativity workload too.

How about Coutinho's long range shooting from open plays? AOC is one strong candidate and possibly a more athletic, dynamic version of him.

As for Set-piece prowress, we have Shaqiri and TAA. Both of them are quite good at corners and free-kicks with TAA being the "grandfather of the most cheekiest corner kick in European football".

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I agree, if he shows sincere remorse, he will be okay. Sometimes, I feel, we are quite harsh and demanding as fans. However, on the other hand, we can be very generous and big hearted as well.
A match winning goal against man City from his cutting inside and right footed shot. Plenty of Liverpool fans would forgive coutinho. I'm sure I would. Only thing is that the transfer fee has to be 35m to account for his wages

SithBaare

Also there were a lot of guys both here and in the general Liverpool fanbase who predicted coutinho would struggle in Barca.

Nothing wrong with him, but his favoured position of a free roaming attacking midfielder / second striker works well when you have Bobby firmino alongside you and not when you have the whole team geared towards passing the ball to Messi.

HKReds

Even if we are open to a move, and Barcelona is interested to sell at a cut-price, I suspect that there will be issues on wages as if I recall, he got a very significant wage increase when he joined Barcelona.

SithBaare

Even if we are open to a move, and Barcelona is interested to sell at a cut-price, I suspect that there will be issues on wages as if I recall, he got a very significant wage increase when he joined Barcelona.
Also remember that he paid quite a bit out of his own pocket to get the deal to Barca done.

But w.r.t Phil , I'm sure that he won't join another premier league club apart from us. Just hope there's a financial arrangement good enough that Liverpool don't upend their wage structure getting him back onboard

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'd gladly take him back, but obviously he's damaged goods on the market with the way he flopped at Barca. If he comes back at a cut-rate price, and he approaches it as an opportunity to prove himself instead of moping around with his tail tucked between his legs, I have no doubt he can make us better.

StevenAlonso

Was shocked to see a Coutinho thread in Rumours page but looks like the links aren't genuine..
Having said that would have him here in an instant.. He knows how things work here under Klopp and will need no time to settle. He made a genuine mistake and I feel so sorry for the lad. Deserves a second chance..

Last edited:

Redsi73

Just don't see him as a Klopp player tbh.

You can't dupe us with back problems to get out of playing just because Barca want you, and when it all goes tits up in Spain come running home.

No doubt about his quality, but there are too many in front of him to guarantee a regular start, those with maybe not as skilled but with more intensity and passion

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Didn't like the way Coutinho left the club. Regardless, time generally heals all wounds. We fans have remembered fondly about the players contributions past, even with certain ways that they left the club. Nevertheless, if Klopp decides to take Phil back and he does well again, it would be a perfect prodigal son returning story. Would even be better if he played and score a winning goal against Barça.

Danny_

Supposedly, Barca still owe us 88m of the fee so that is the number being bandied about. To be honest, I would do the deal but at 75m as we won't get better than him for that money. If he wants to come back, I am all for it.

Foldy

I don’t think the team want him back, we’ve got a togetherness in that squad now and I think he would go down like a turd in a swimming pool in that dressing room. He thought he was better than the players and bigger than the club. Fuck him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think for the figures banded about we can buy a player who better fits our style of play in our "plan A" if 433 is to continue as our plan A at least.

In that formation Coutinho is either a "make do" wide left option that doesn't really attack quick enough or in the right way. Or hes a defensively weaker option for the role of the more offensive number 8. Hes more creative than that role really needs and yet again I'd actually say Ox is the one who has had the most joy in that role and it was because of his explosive power and pace (which is more than Coutinho's pace) that made that work so well.

We have the numbers for the number 8 and the only reason to go into the market is if we can find an 8 that does the tough work of a Klopp 8 whilst increasing the creativity/offensive quality from that position. Coutinho doesn't quite do the first and although different I prefer the style of offence Ox brings than the slow, methodical style of Coutinho. It merges better with the pace of the rest of our play.

So the only reason for me to consider bringing Coutinho in would be as an option wide left. If we were to enter the market with that much money to look for a left winger option I think we could find one that plays in a more similar way to Salah and Mane do than Coutinho. Even if they aren't as much of a household name.

Status
Not open for further replies.