Phillippe Coutinho (LW/AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaytinho

Some very interesting quotes here from Coutinho's agent...

“I don’t know about those stories,” Joorabchian told Jim White in response to the latest Liverpool rumours.

“If that happens obviously we’ll decide what’s best for Philippe, but at the moment we’re being told that’s not happening, it’s fine.”

“I would be very difficult for Philippe to play for any of Liverpool’s rivals, because he has such a great affinity towards Liverpool. His time there was fantastic."

“Yes, but like all big players at some point, you want to experience a different thing in your career because your career is very short, but it [his Anfield exit] has no reflection on the fact his heart and affinity is very much with Liverpool."

“Obviously if he were to move back [to the Premier League], it would have to be Liverpool, but at the moment I think it would be difficult and it would be up to them.”

“Every time we’ve spoken about it we’ve had that same conversation, he would find it hard to play for another club in the Premier League.”

TalkSport: COUTIN-NO Philippe Coutinho EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United move would be ‘near-impossible’ and Anfield return is ‘up to Liverpool’, says Brazilian’s agent

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Liverpool are dealing from a position of strength in this scenario.
I'd expect them to welcome Phillip back only if the following happen:
1) The price is ok (around 70)
2) He's ok with taking a pay cut (he must be paid less than any of the current front 3)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I can't un-burn his jersey and sure-as-shit not going to buy another one. I was pissed he left us how he did and sure as fuck won't forget how he did it.

But to fuck over Barca? If Jürgen wants and club negotiates it to our advantage, then do it. He is the boss

Flobs

FADA
Yet Jurgen once said he was an invaluable part of the press, apparently!

This rumour is like the girlfriend you've really moved on from. I think Ox offers more incision, unpredictability and power.
I'm surprised you managed to read that incy wincy type, I couldn't or didn't bother, well done. :)

Flobs

FADA
I have a feeling if similar data on Lallana was provided those who argue that he's a brilliant presser of the ball might have to think twice. I can't remember where I saw it but stats like these indicated that AOC was three times more effective than Lallana.
Wasn't the arguement for Lallana that he led the press and that could be flagrantly seen when he played.
Let's face it if your team presses every player becomes important to the press whether they are good at it or not.
As for Coutinho my impressions where that when he bothered he was good at initial press and nicking the ball back at opportune moment (the problem was the nicking the ball back was only seen in his 1st year with us and his last 6 months or so). He was poor defensively (position effort and tracking back) This made our left wing a bit of a joke with the help of Moreno and Lovren.
I conclude that you can not justify resigning Coutinho on his pressing or defensive attributs or contributions which really should be an evidence.
His abilities lied in his technique the debate is over whether his use of that technique was productive enough.
Comparing him to Mané for us there's no debate at all Mané is 3 x the player Coutinho was for us in our present system.

Using this reply to your post to cover 'extra' ground as this pressing stuff seems to rear its head now and again. :)

Vestan Pantz

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I do find it a bit odd that the club would shoot down every rumour and this rumbles on.

Even to the point the Echo is running polls to garner opinion..

Adrizzle17

I can see some unsettlement in the locker room. If this goes through, I hope it's minimal. I think the Brazil boys will stick by him, but could see some others giving him a hard time. So just hope it doesn't create a rift and divide groups. It's the last thing we need.

rab

Made his bed, let him lie in it.

We've moved on and there's no need to go back to rescue him from the hole he's found himself in.

I'd be chucking in derogatory bids and making eyes at him just to wind him and that bunch of shithouses right up.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
This is worryingly sounding more likely.

I'm hoping it's just his agent trying to whore him back to us because of a lack of interest from anyone else.

At the risk of being accused of revisionism again, I think Coutinho is just a more talented Shaqiri. Capable of moments of magic, but massively inconsistent. I think we were more of a team when he left and I just don't see what he will bring to the team for the £50m+ we will have to spend to bring him back.

If there's a genuine interest for an attacking player, I don't think coutinho is a better fit than Pepe, Fernandes, Fekir or Dembele, and if we weren't interested in them, it doesn't make sense to me that we suddenly have an interest in Coutinho.

Maybe secretly klopp loved him and will jump at the opportunity to get him. If that's the case then I'll try and get on board with it. But I kinda hope it isn't.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I can see some unsettlement in the locker room. If this goes through, I hope it's minimal. I think the Brazil boys will stick by him, but could see some others giving him a hard time. So just hope it doesn't create a rift and divide groups. It's the last thing we need.
I personally don't get this line of thinking. If you have a mate in the office that you work closely with and they get a move to their dream job, even if there is a bit of bad blood with the management, you still hope for the best for them. You'd also certainly welcome them back if they decided it didn't work out for them. These lads are even more than office mates. They spend far more time together.

90% of our players are not lifelong reds. As such football is a (very enjoyable) job to them. The only player I could see being upset is Trent due to his affinity with the club. But even he would probably be happy with Cou returning.

The bigger issue for me is the team dynamic. If Cou returns then Shaq was a bad buy as they are both AM/Wide forwards that will be fighting over the same scraps. In no world will Coutinho get more starts than our current front 3. He would get starts when our forwards need rest, but mostly as a 70 min sub. I also don't think he is anywhere near the correct fit for our midfield, so he would be getting game time further advanced in Mane's position when Sadio isn't playing.

Nah... the more I think about it the less likely it seems. Unless Klopp decides to start buying back players to help a brother out, it makes little sense. Coutinho's agent is clearly sounding out interest from us and clearly Coutinho would be up for a return, but I'm not sure we are interested, regardless of how he is packaged financially.

Last edited:

brush85

So many of them have done what he did ( ok, not totally what he did ) to join us or other teams in their career. Its a business.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
I dont hold any grudge against him, and I think he just got his dream move and went for it. I understand that, it did not work out. Thats life. But I think there are better and cheaper options than him that we should go for, before thinking about him, unless of course this is the Boss wish to get him back. Then there is no argument after that.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Everyone always thought Klopp wanted Goetze back. And in some ways, Coutinho is our Goetze - without the poor injury record.

I find myself completely indifferent to this one. Delightful player while he was here, played some silky stuff himself and in combination with Bobby, but the team didn't appear to miss him at all when he was gone. Could we use his skills against the bus parkers? Probably. Would he clearly be in the first 11? Probably not.

Clive

Seems like a “come and get me” from the agent.

I don’t think Pep would want us to sign back Phil. So let’s do it! For the right price of course.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Don’t even have to think about his character or the way he left or whatever ...

We do not need him. We did not missed him for one second since he left.

Can’t see how he would improve this team now or how he could fit in.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I don't really bear him any ill will, he made a terrible decision leaving a rising LFC to join a falling Barcelona, his loss, not ours. However, the manner of it was problematic. If Klopp is fine with that, I will be fine with that. We know how good he can be, we have seen it, and it is possible he can be fit into one configuration or another, although we might have seen his peak. I just don't see him as likely to take the side to a new higher level.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of different ways this could go badly. Lots of asymmetry here, the upside risk doesn't seem nearly as large as the downside risk, which is almost always not a good trade.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
This feels a bit like what happened with Owen to me. He left because he thought he'd have it better in Real Madrid. We went and won the Champions League whilst things went to shit for Owen at the Bernabeu.

Owen wanted to come back. Let it be known that he really wanted a return to Liverpool. Rafa wasn't having any of it but Owen made sure to get it out there to the fans that the only reason he didn't come back to Liverpool was because of the club. It allowed him to join Newcastle without any ill-will. Then, of course, he joined the scum.

This is what it feels like to me with Coutinho. He wants to placate the fans by saying this is where he would choose to return to when all along he probably knows we aren't interested and Jarobchian's eyeing up City, Tottenham, United or Arsenal.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Don't need him, but would be great to have him for further squad depth. AOC is the player who will be our creative/driving force in midfield this season.

As for revisionism - absolutely. Everyone here is judging with hindsight and not looking at the whole picture. Remember when we last had him: First half of 2017/18 - No VVD, No Alisson, no Ox proper, no Robbo proper. Trent still being "bullied" from time to time. Salah just getting started on a record breaking season. No 6th European cup.

He was integral to our team - the most important player in our team at the time. Apparently he registered 12 goals and 9 assists in just 20 appearances that half a season - one littered with "injuries" - I did not realise it was that many. We don't need him anymore, but anyone who talks about him not being that great is simply letting his exit affect their judgement.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Don't need him, but would be great to have him for further squad depth. AOC is the player who will be our creative/driving force in midfield this season.

As for revisionism - absolutely. Everyone here is judging with hindsight and not looking at the whole picture. Remember when we last had him: First half of 2017/18 - No VVD, No Alisson, no Ox proper, no Robbo proper. Trent still being "bullied" from time to time. Salah just getting started on a record breaking season. No 6th European cup.

He was integral to our team - the most important player in our team at the time. Apparently he registered 12 goals and 9 assists in just 20 appearances that half a season - one littered with "injuries" - I did not realise it was that many. We don't need him anymore, but anyone who talks about him not being that great is simply letting his exit affect their judgement.
In your opinion. I'm perfectly able to form my own and in my opinion once he had buckled down in that half season then he was very effective, but the previous season I found him to be one-dimensional, sporadic, often times frustrating. That has nothing to to do witht the way he left, only the way he played. It culminated in the Europa League final where he was probably our 2nd worst player.

You can think what you like about him, but I thank you not to insist that the criticism of him as a player has anything to do with his manner of leaving.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

Its impossible to do a side-by-side comparison of course, but how much was Coutinho's style of play holding back the team? Perhaps the players weren't ready to take on the additional burden at the time so Coutinho was a blessing, but its also possible those 12 goals could have been 18 spread over a number of players and perhaps we could have picked up points in games we dropped points if we were playing more of a team game? Who knows?

Danny_

If we can get him back on loan, that is a no brainer. It solves our attacking problems for this year and he gets the chance to prove a point to Barca. We can blow all our transfer funds on a LB to cover Robertson as that's the most important position to fill. I don't care how he left - we got a massive fee for him and he gave us some of the best years of his career. I don't think he screwed us over at all. And the most important point is that he improves the team. Please let this happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.