• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Phillippe Coutinho (LW/AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I don't disagree on a lot of the points and it's certainly not a move I'm clamouring for. I do think though there's something to be said for a senior player who knows Klopp's system well and so can plug straight into the team without needing the six months of adjustment many of them do.

Digger10

1977 Vintage Red
Yeah, I get the same impression. Like he's trying to slow everything down in a desperate attempt to give us that bit extra to say, "Oh, ok - come to us then matey" and he'll start jumping around like an excited child, "Yes, Yes, Yes! I knew it. I KNEW IT!!! Uhhh...I get to play in front of the Kop!!! I thought I was off to fucking Turin! Klopp! YEAH!!!"

It's like he's tiptoeing towards the plane...asking his agent "anyone call?"...."Jurgen, Mikey?"....then getting off the plane in Italy and he's checking his phone for reception...."Why can't I fucking get reception!!!"...."Phew, there it is....any messages?"..."Mino, you got any voicemails??"....then takes ages getting his luggage....insists on getting the rickshaw driver to take them from the airport rather than the private car sent by Juventus...gets off the rickshaw, pretends that his shoelaces need tying up again (for the sixth time since landing)...he's about to sign the Juventus contract and he says he needs the toilet...goes into the cubicle, stares at his phone....[will it??? Will Jurgen call? Please call Jurgen!!!]....sighs...

Slouches back into the room with Paratici...resigned, he sits down before the contract, picks up the pen and then suddenly his phone goes with the unmistakeable ringtone of Jurgen simply going, "BOOM!"...

A broad grin appears across De Ligt's face as he takes the call, he's already out the door, on the way back to the airport, destination....

Liverpool.

A few minutes earlier, in a hotel in central Paris, Mbappe had received the same phone call. Jurgen and Mikey were activating their sleeper agents.

I think it's more about our attractiveness right now than any financial strength. As you say, we can still not compete financially with the likes of City, United, Real...but I'd say we're the most attractive football club in the world right now (unless you're South American). That's a pretty good position of strength.

I think Timo Werner's been bagged by Bayern for next year hasn't he? The one I'm surprised about is Kai Havertz - hardly anything in the transfer rumours for him this season (I acknowledge that he too has been linked with a move to Bayern next year, albeit more tentatively).

I'm 100% with you on Havertz! the lad looks an absolute worldie!

Reckon he'll be off to Bayern himself too unfortunately

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Allegedly a fair assumption. I once made the mistake of paying for ‘insider’ membership, before I knew better. In my defence it was very early days of internet fan sites 20+ years ago. There ended up being quite a backlash as many felt the whole site was little more than a scam, claiming exclusives on stories that others had broken and being a very early example of expert click bait. So perhaps worth reading:

https://koptalkinsider.wordpress.com/
I think this is a former employee (obviously disgruntled) and it’s a while since it was updated. It certainly fitted in with what I felt about things.

However as Koptalk still do a pay for vip service I wanted to share. I forget what I paid for way back 20 years ago, but I regretted whatever amount it was. I see they are still claiming former directors and owners have been members, that was something they hinted at 20 years ago but I never believed it. I’d even read claims that the proprietor isn’t even a Liverpool fan. How true all this is I don’t know, but buyer be aware.
I won a lifetime membership to the Gold club - going back to about 2001.
The email was registered to my then work address. When I changed jobs in 06 I changed email and had trouble logging in.
They took my lifetime membership away as I couldnt find the original email - i explained that it was a former employers email so i didnt have it but to no avail.
Someone contacted me on facebook and pointed me towards the scams so I left.

Big_Doogs

I won a lifetime membership to the Gold club - going back to about 2001.
The email was registered to my then work address. When I changed jobs in 06 I changed email and had trouble logging in.
They took my lifetime membership away as I couldnt find the original email - i explained that it was a former employers email so i didnt have it but to no avail.
Someone contacted me on facebook and pointed me towards the scams so I left.
Well this was it. I took out membership to get insider exclusives, but then was expected to pay extra to join the Gold club (I’d forgotten what it was called) to get the extra special insider exclusives. I think back then, things like fan forums and the concept of “Inside info” was all quite new so we were easy targets for what started off as a fairly slick operation, until they started to over-reach.

Sorry, don’t mean to go off topic, back to Phil;
It’s a transfer that makes no sense to me at all. Klopp won’t make a nostalgic signing and I can’t see him him fitting in with how we play any more. I’d much rather see a young winger with blistering pace that can turn defences and develop behind our first choice players. Depending on preseason that might ideally be from within but if not I’d be happy with someone coming in from outside.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
It’s a transfer that makes no sense to me at all. Klopp won’t make a nostalgic signing and I can’t see him him fitting in with how we play any more.
He did get the likes of Kagawa and Sahin back to Dortmund. Just might be a bit of getting a known player in. As for the playing style, that's a different issue on whether Coutinho suits liverpool's current playing style. As for me , I think he'd still suit liverpool's playing style still. We still do gegenpress but not all the time to conserve energy.

Limiescouse

I totally agree. The one thing i would flag though is if he really was a £140m value player. We know there was a premium added due to the circumstances of the deal happening. What we might see now is like that in shops where they advertise a product at a very high price with the intention of selling it at a more accurate market price during a 'sale' period.

In other words, is Coutinho really an £80m player that we would usually expect to buy at £60m in such circumstances for example?
Yes, I think that is more like it. Barca had their pants pulled down by PSG and felt shown up. They felt they needed to reassert their power in the market by showing they were not a selling club. That came with a hefty premium.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
after watching Coutinho in Copa America... he still has great chemistry with Bobby clearly... I would take him back easily as I thought he was one of the best players in the tournament but is it worth the money to take him when we are pretty stacked as is?

problem is I don't think we have the room or need him though... but I will admit he could make the difference in winning the title or not. I want Ox to get his playing time this season. Bringing Coutinho back puts the number of 7 midfielders in our 3 man midfield for Klopp to choose from to 8.... way too crowded if you ask me. yes I know Coutinho can also play in the front 3 for us....... but I dunno

Ox, Fab, Keita, Gini, Hendo, Milly, Lallana, Coutinho with that many players.. we are going to have players like Lallana or Shaq who hardly even make the bench even which I'm pretty sure we will not operate like that. but really Coutinho could just take Sturridge spot if we really want him and say no to Brewster. I'm not sure I want that though as I think Brewster is ready and I hope he gets Sturridge spot... but I could see this happening may be depending on the deal we get. we are in a position of power with Barca over this so hopefully, if we do bring him back we screw them over big time and he is like the best player in the EPL again. Barca deserver that.. lol

imo.. in order to bring back Coutinho we must get rid of one of those other midfielders first which I doubt happens...

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
problem is I don't think we have the room or need him though... but I will admit he could make the difference in winning the title or not. I want Ox to get his playing time this season. Bringing Coutinho back puts the number of 7 midfielders in our 3 man midfield for Klopp to choose from to 8.... way too crowded if you ask me. yes I know Coutinho can also play in the front 3 for us....... but I dunno

Ox, Fab, Keita, Gini, Hendo, Milly, Lallana, Coutinho with that many players.. we are going to have players like Lallana or Shaq who hardly even make the bench even which I'm pretty sure we will not operate like that.
Why not? If we're going to compete against Man City as we did last season then we need a big squad. We really don't have that many senior players in the first team squad. Plus, given Lallana's contribution last season, maybe that 8 should be 7.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I'm willing to help in any medical Phil would require by supplying a swift hard kick in the arse to properly test the old back injury,it's the least i could do and i would be willing to do it for free.
You do that and he might get all upset again.
Not ready for another moping Coutinho!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
[

I think that is just an extension from what we think may have happened with De Ligt for example. It was clear a lot of people with ties to Ajax wanted him to come to us, and that the club had a strong interest in the player - but with the form of Matip and Gomez this year, and the sudden jump in his fee it became less feasible. Even now every headline i see of his move to Juve reads to me as a call for us to jump in and sign him
Time's finally up for De Ligt

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Dunno who the bigger idiots are, PSG or Barca. Barca for being desperate enough to give Dembele + Coutinho + Money for Neymar. Or PSG for rejecting that
Crazy....am I missing something but I dont think Neymar is anything special at all. I wouldn’t even have him in our best 11.

Well this was it. I took out membership to get insider exclusives, but then was expected to pay extra to join the Gold club (I’d forgotten what it was called) to get the extra special insider exclusives. I think back then, things like fan forums and the concept of “Inside info” was all quite new so we were easy targets for what started off as a fairly slick operation, until they started to over-reach.

Sorry, don’t mean to go off topic, back to Phil;
It’s a transfer that makes no sense to me at all. Klopp won’t make a nostalgic signing and I can’t see him him fitting in with how we play any more. I’d much rather see a young winger with blistering pace that can turn defences and develop behind our first choice players. Depending on preseason that might ideally be from within but if not I’d be happy with someone coming in from outside.
I got stung by Koptalk too wouldve been about 10-12 years ago someone on this site enlightened me to the scam and I’ve remained here since mostly as a lurker of late.

Would also agree dont see any way this Coutinho deal happens. If we are entertaining spending 80+ mil on a player it should be at least someone who fits the way we play which Phil doesnt. He is too slow and in direct for us now to play as a wide forward and he isnt hardworking or defensively capable enough to play in midfield.

And thats without considering how he shat on the club, the manager and playing group in order to get his dream move and now we should rescue him now its turned into a nightmare. I strongly doubt it. He had his chance and he blew it. He’ll end up in Italy somewhere. His lack of pace would be far less of an issue there.

As someone else said a younger versatile player with bags of pace who will accept a supporting/rotational role on reasonable wages is a vastly better more suitable idea for the club than a 240k a week player who doesnt suit our system and would expect to be the focal point at the expense of other players who have been loyal to the club.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Why not? If we're going to compete against Man City as we did last season then we need a big squad. We really don't have that many senior players in the first team squad. Plus, given Lallana's contribution last season, maybe that 8 should be 7.

I tend to agree on Lallana but doesn't look like Klopp does now does it?
and
why not? because we are not city or psg to where we can pay players not even to sit on our bench for half the season when not injured and just wait for their contracts to come up so they can leave on free transfer. when have we ever done that under klopp? I don't see klopp and us starting to operate like that with players like shaq and lallana... I just don't see us putting non-injured players off our bench for the majority of the season that have contracts like that

we will try to sell the players first before doing that... this along with anyone who has a contract in the first team with us still does NOT wants to leave.. not one player.... is the main reason why we are not buying anyone.. not sure why people don't understand that yet

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I tend to agree on Lallana but doesn't look like Klopp does now does it?
and
why not? because we are not city or psg to where we can pay players not even to sit on our bench for half the season when not injured and just wait for their contracts to come up so they can leave on free transfer. when have we ever done that under klopp? I don't see klopp and us starting to operate like that with players like shaq and lallana... I just don't see us putting non-injured players off our bench for the majority of the season that have contracts like that

we will try to sell the players first before doing that... this along with anyone who has a contract in the first team with us still does NOT wants to leave.. not one player.... is the main reason why we are not buying anyone.. not sure why people don't understand that yet
First bold bit: with Sturridge and Moreno.
Second bold bit: that's what we used to do, but we can now afford to do things that we couldn't afford in the past. Plus, I don't see that buying one midfielder adds up to us stockpiling players like City or PSG, particularly when next summer Lallana will be leaving and maybe Milner as well.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If Klopp wants him then that is fine with me, but I have my doubts after what his agent leaked at the time.

Suppose if Klopp had not lost the dressing room we would have the league and fa Cup last season.

Cooperman04

My feelings for what they are worth was that he was amazing for us and could be the missing link, come back Coutinho your a start

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Klopp has said this won’t happen.
We don’t have the money apparently

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Klopp has said this won’t happen.
We don’t have the money apparently
Good, the only reason that could be the case is that we've committed it elsewhere.
I completely understand the situation, and I respect the financial planning for the future. Aside from adding cover for LB, I am unbothered by not adding this Summer.

Having said that, this is where John Henry should just keep quiet instead of saying things like "we will go again and invest this Summer to make sure we win the Premier League next season", as he did to Sky Sports journalist David O'Connell around the Champions League final. I understand he wants everyone to feel good, and was most likely caught up in the moment, but all this does is rile up a big portion of the supporters.

Danny_

It looks like this one is dead. I am disappointed but it was always a questionable loan for Barca to do. If we can't get him back on loan, I don't think there is any way that this can happen now.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I completely understand the situation, and I respect the financial planning for the future. Aside from adding cover for LB, I am unbothered by not adding this Summer.

Having said that, this is where John Henry should just keep quiet instead of saying things like "we will go again and invest this Summer to make sure we win the Premier League next season", as he did to Sky Sports journalist David O'Connell around the Champions League final. I understand he wants everyone to feel good, and was most likely caught up in the moment, but all this does is rile up a big portion of the supporters.
I am not one to defend owners talking up transfer activities, but when it comes to riling up the supporters in a transfer window, Henry didn't have to say a thing, it happens automatically. Just have a look at last season, the season before and so on. You have 3 very distinct camps - one perceived as know it all in the market, one who wants to sign everyone under the sun and the last one is the level-headed type (also perceived as). There is no way to stop it from happening, all we could do is to ride the summer off and wait for the season to start.

Incognito

The Normal One

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
The comments on this tweet are so ridiculous. There are people wanting FSG out because we aren't buying anyone in this window, which btw hasn't even closed yet. Isn't our progress so damn visible and isn't there even an iota of trust in what the club is doing?
Best not to pay much attention to the weirdos on Twitter. I'm convinced half of them are trolls that support other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.