Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (CF) Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Maurice, Jun 18, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep!

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Makati Red

Makati Red Banned Users

As part of a Dutch Auction with City and Chelsea that would have raised 70m plus you are right

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

He needs to have those two unknown twitter fellas to come out and say something for this to be credible. Don't you forget it next time...

3. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Aubameyang does miss a lot as well, a bit like Cavani (or Ibrahimovic this season, age, new league... had a successful season, but it's also the first time he missed so many chances for his standard). Both are hitting quality numbers (one is more of a pacy and acrobatic poacher, the other is a mobile and hard working freak who has capabilities to keep getting into chances), but both are probably one of the biggest missers in that bracket of top strikers. Of course with Firmino it's a completely different story, he's not a striker but we get other qualities from him in that role. People also need to remember that apart from the goals, Klopp wants certain qualities in the game from the player that leads the line for us. Not writing Aubameyang off, I already said if he was here he'd start for us, but actually making that deal happen, I don't know. Maybe he's just a bit tired of Dortmund (saw that Tuchel wouldn't remain and maybe doesn't have the motivation to wait for another guy to implement his work there) and wants a new challenge, win something else other than the odd domestic cup (won 2 domestic cups in his whole career). He dreams of Real, but I don't think he'd start there. PSG have apparently backed off as it would disrupt their wage structure. We'll see if there's another willing and capable buyer (if his conditions change in terms of money) and if he decides to give Dortmund another season when his head cools later this summer.

Limiescouse likes this.
  4. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

My guess would be two up front for some games, and then Firmino central flanked by two of Mane, Salah and Aubameyang for other games. And then sometimes on the bench, depending on various factors.

With quick players on the flanks who do their best work in behind the defence, Firmino is the perfect balance player to create opposite movement - which often is the key to creating gaps in a defence. And for that same reason, Firmino and Aubameyang should be a really good front duo. The way they prefer to play, we should get that natural rhythm between them in terms of creating and exploiting space.

The Elusive 19th and Zoran like this.
  5. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Id love to see Aubameyang here, but I dont see it happening, simply because of his age.
    Hes 28 and that doesnt fit the profile of our transfer policy especially with FSG. Its not the price that the problem but the fact we are unlikely to pay top dollar for a player at his peak.

I can imagine FSG being more interested in buying someone like Icardi or Dybala just because of their age profile,even if it cots more, than Aubameyang.

6. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

We have just spent 3-4 weeks haggling over a couple of million with Salah, so, how do we think, we're going to stump up 70 million+, and it will be plus. I'm usually a positive person, but this one won't happen.

7. GermanRed

GermanRed Well-Known Member

BVB were ready to sell PEA to PSG or China but they ended their interest. The price is set at something near €70m so there wouldn't be much negotiation needed.

BUT as I wrote before - i just don't think Klopp is looking for another striker.

8. Keeno

Keeno TIA New Signing

Because Salah is not a proven season in season out success. He isn't what you would call a finished superstar. Aubameyang is. Quite rightly we are not meeting Roma's valuation immediately.

9. Keeno

Keeno TIA New Signing

I think the age thing with FSG thing went out the window as soon as Klopp arrived. No chance they would block any move if Klopp wants to sign an older player.

10. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

Not sure that makes sense. If a player is worth 'around £70m' then its fair to say that clubs will haggle roughly around that price range. If a player is worth 'around £35m' then you haggle around that price range. Just as you would haggle for a £500k transfer of a 17yo kid to make sure you get the best price possible. Because we are haggling at a certain price range doesn't at all suggest that we are small minded and wont attempt bigger fish, provided their value to the team (dont confuse this with monetary value - that is only part of it) would make it worth it.

Throwing money away to just 'get it done' isn't showing balls but fear that you will get gazumped by another club. LFC cop some shit but I find it very ballsy to hold firm and show the world we aren't just going to bend over and take it up the sphincter, especially if we are in the driving seat like we are right now with Salah.

11. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

I had a dream we signed Auba about 6 months ago.

Basically, it's nailed on.

eythor, redfanman, Chewbazza and 8 others like this.
  12. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Well telling us has broken your dream. Well done - if the transfer doesn't happen I'll hold YOU personally responsible.

Scott Jones likes this.
  13. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

Sorry lads, this is why I rarely post these days - TRANSFER WRECKER :wave:

redfanman likes this.
  14. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Yeh but we modelled ourselves on Klopp and Dortmund. Klopp himself prefers to bring in younger players with the right attributes and develop them himself to fit his team.

Whilst he has a bigger budget here, he doesn't come across as someone who's prepared to spend big money for the short term.

redfanman likes this.
  15. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

I'll already be crushed when we don't sign Auba.

Thanks a bunch, transfer season :unhappy:

redfanman likes this.
  16. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

At 28, PEA has, at the very minimum, 4 years left. The next 4 years will literally decide Klopp's career at LFC. I don't think anybody could suggest we have the most patient fanbase, particularly with so many ex-players in the media driving certain opinions, and I don't see these fans accepting Klopp continuously developing young players without any significant success, which is very fucking difficult in this league at the best of times. As such, I would find it would be very strange if PEA was someone Klopp wanted but skipped over due to his age, because, really its his own head on the chopping block if he decides not to chase these guys who are in their prime.

Plus, is there even strong evidence that Klopp prefers to develop young kids himself and will skip over older guys? I haven't looked at who he signed over his Dortmund days but I recall a lot of players in their late 20's going to BVB. It just seems something we fans say but if we looked at the evidence I wonder whether that would back it up?

NYRhockey, legalalien and Keeno like this.
  17. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

LFC have totally fucked up their fan expectation management haven't they? Where are the leaked 'interest' to crap players? Do you think there's a room of senior LFC officials panicking...

Edwards (ME), "Why the fuck are they linking us to Mbappe and VVD? We've already signed our striker in that kid from Chelsea and we've written Jurgen's press briefing discussing how he's looking forward to welcoming Sakho back into the fold."

"Errr boss, have you seen the latest?"

ME "What latest?"

"We've been linked to Aubameyang"

ME "What the fuck is wrong with people? Aubameyang? Auba fucking meyang? Next you'll be saying we're after Cristiano fucking Ronaldo"

everyone else in the room shuffles their feet, start looking at the floor...

ME "Don't tell me they've fucking linked us to CRISTIANO RONALDO?!!!"

"Well, there's something about him being upset in Spain over his taxes..."

ME "I give up, I fucking give up. I tried to show how fucking useless we were when we deliberately fucked up VVD and yet everyone keeps linking us to these ridiculously good players...how can I possibly deliver Ben fucking Chilwell with any sort of fanfare in these circumstances?"

"So, errrm....the links with Mendy I'm reading aren't really true?"

ME "Fuck you @redbj"

18. lfc.eddie

Michael Edwards does sound like an idiot and out of touch with what's been going on around him.... no wonder we are so fucked up.

19. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

...literally just before the deals entered final stage. Not during the usual weeks of planning and speculative approaches being made to club and players that happen in the background.

redfanman likes this.
  20. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Good one. You could have thrown a line in there about the window not being opened yet but a fair effort nonetheless ;-)

Kanonkop and Alright Now like this.
  21. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Yes, there is.The average age of the Dortmund side that played Bayern in the 2013 Champions League Final was approximately 23.

Add to that, Kloppo's preferred CB partnership of Hummels and Subotic who were just 19 yrs old were they first started playing together.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    spartacus136 likes this.
  22. Kopstar

I keep wishing I could have done that as a Downfall meme...

Wyld@Heart and Alright Now like this.
  23. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

True, but the question is, whether that had more to do with the possibilities and overall strategy Dortmund had to adapt - when Klopp started at Dortmund they were still recovering as a club and were in no position to buy established classy players, so went down the route of many other clubs and went for talent - they were just better/more succesful at doing so than most others.
    I agree that Klopp is probably still generally down with that approach, but I'm not sure if it's a total principle, that he wouldn't break with, if there's an opportunity for someone special.

24. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

You can still be young and have quality for success. We tend to think of Real Madrid as big spenders but even they get the whole spend big money on young players policy.

Look at the age they buy at Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Kroos, Rodriguez, Morata, Di Maria, Ozil, Isco, almost every single big money player they buy is 22,23,24.

In fact even the general team players they buy are young
    Danilo £27million 23,
    Kovacic, £26million, 21,
    Illaramendi £27million 23
    Carvajal £5million , 21,
    Casemiro, £5million 21 .

Ive looked at their transfers in the past 5 years and theyve not paid more than £10million for any player 27 or over. The most expensive is Keylor Navas £8.5million, aged 27 and hes a keeper.

When you think about it its the right policy long term.

25. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Benzema is shit and how he gets to play for Real is a fucking mystery to me.:eh?:

Alright Now likes this.
  26. Keeno

Keeno TIA New Signing

His goal record really suggests otherwise. But yes obviously inferior to Ronaldo.

27. Kopstar

That's the problem with watching a goals highlight reel - it can sometimes mean you think he converts every chance.

However, to back up your comment his conversion rate (31 goals from 104 shots (65 on target) - thanks Squawka) is 29.8% or a goal every 3.35 shots. That's comparable to Harry Kane (a goal every 3.79 shots), Lukaku (4.4), Sanchez (5.38), Diego Costa (5.55), Aguero (6.95), Coutinho (8.15), Firmino (9.09). Incidentally, Icardi's at 3.96, Belotti 3.88....Mbappe 3.07.

28. lfc.eddie

Hey fella..... guess who was the one who put up a tweet about this?

Oops....

29. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

This highlights reel of his goals, might be a concern for the opposite reason - he scores an awful lot of rather easy goals. Look how many tap ins he got last season.

redfanman likes this.
  30. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

And the sources that covered those moves (Joyce and Reddy) aren't the only two sources he follows. A negative tweet by any random folk on Twitter and he's on the forum

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.