Players being burgled whilst playing

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Liverpool forward Sadio Mane's house was burgled while he was playing in the Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

Items including watches, mobile phones and car keys were stolen.

The incident happened at Mane's house in Allerton, south Liverpool between 18:00 and 23:45 GMT - while the 26-year-old was at Anfield. No-one was in the property at the time.

Forensic examinations are under way and a police investigation is ongoing.

Detective Inspector Phil Mahon, of Merseyside Police, said: "We are appealing for anyone with information in relation to this burglary to please come forward and assist our inquiries.

"While the occupants were not present at the time of the incident this will no doubt be a distressing experience for them and I would ask the offenders to do the right thing and return the stolen items to the owner in any way possible.

"We know the watches in particular are of significant monetary value and I would also like to appeal to anyone who might have been offered the items for sale since the burglary to contact police."

Senegal international Mane was burgled in November 2017 while he was at Anfield for a Champions League game against Maribor.

A gang was thought to have broken into his home first before smashing a patio door at the nearby address of team-mate Dejan Lovren before they fled when a woman shouted she was calling the police.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
A quick google and the following players have been burgled whilst playing:

Mane, Firmino, Lovren, Coutinho, Gerrard, Kuyt, Lucas, Pepe Reina, Dudek, Agger, Crouch, Keane, Pennant, Pongolle

Probably more.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
I posted this thread as it is taking the piss the amount of times this is happening.

The club needs to organise security, otherwise this will happen again and again. This makes it harder for us to attract and keep talent.
Yeah, while you could say the onus is on the individuals to organise security, given that these break-ins are occurring while they're working for the club perhaps there is something in that. Given the vast sums involved in the sport at the top level, private security could be arranged for players' properties during matches for relative chump-change. It would also send out a good message to players in terms of being looked after by the club and potentially help keep current players happy while being another, albeit fairly small (but it all helps) factor in attracting new ones.

sms1986

I posted this thread as it is taking the piss the amount of times this is happening.

The club needs to organise security, otherwise this will happen again and again. This makes it harder for us to attract and keep talent.
It happens to a lot of players from other clubs too, it's not making it harder for us or any other team to attract and keep talent. This is a common tactic used by criminals.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.

Mane, Firmino, Lovren, Coutinho, Gerrard, Kuyt, Lucas, Pepe Reina, Dudek, Agger, Crouch, Keane, Pennant, Pongolle

Probably more.
Seeing the numbers involved, your previous comment, that the club should organise security, makes a great deal of sense.

Lowton_Red

As sms said it happens at all clubs.
True, but it wouldn't do any harm - if the club provided security cover (on match days) our players wouldn't have the potential added distraction.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Just because it happens elsewhere does not mean we should be blasé about it.

If there is a possible solution, which there is, why not opt for it?

And whilst it might not make it harder to attract talent, it might have a small effect on keeping players. And even if it doesn't, it might have a positive impact on their performances.

Last edited:

Dane

NEXT!
Peoples houses get burgled every day when they're out.
Most responsible home owners install effective security deterrents.

AussieLad

TIA Regular

Probably more.
That is only us. Di Maria was robbed whilst he was at Utd, some stupid idiot tried to rob Duncan Ferguson I think whilst he was at Rangers when he happened to be at home.

I bet if you looked into it, there would probably be a few Everton players have been turned over as well

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Just because it happens elsewhere does not mean we should be blasé about it.

If there is a possibles solution, which there is, why not opt for it?

And whilst it might not make it harder to attract talent, it might have a small effect on keeping players. And even if it doesn't, it might have a positive impact on their performances.
I'm not quite sure what you expect to be put in place?

Thieves are brazen as fuck, if they want to rob somewhere they will do so with guards or security or whatever.

My mate went on holiday, a car pulled up to his house, 4 guys got out with balaclavas on, told his neighbours to get the fuck back in the house or there would be trouble. Ripped off his CCTV camera, ripped open his back door (literally pulled it out of the wall), ripped the alarm box out and de-fused it, took both sets of car keys and drove off.

Didn't someone wife get tied up whilst they took everything? Was it a Utd footballers?

Lowton_Red

Thieves are brazen as fuck, if they want to rob somewhere they will do so with guards or security or whatever.

My mate went on holiday, a car pulled up to his house, 4 guys got out with balaclavas on, told his neighbours to get the fuck back in the house or there would be trouble. Ripped off his CCTV camera, ripped open his back door (literally pulled it out of the wall), ripped the alarm box out and de-fused it, took both sets of car keys and drove off.

Didn't someone wife get tied up whilst they took everything? Was it a Utd footballers?
Your mate might want to install this device:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Do you leave your doors unlocked and open at night because thieves are brazen and don't care if a door is locked or not?

I'd hope not. Thieves look for easy targets. The more difficult you make it, the less inclined they are to make you a target. It's not rocket science.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Do you leave your doors unlocked and open at night because thieves are brazen and don't care if a door is locked or not?

I'd hope not. Thieves look for easy targets. The more difficult you make it, the less inclined they are to make you a target. It's not rocket science.
Indeed. Through my work I happen to know there's a number of PL clubs who already work with private security to secure stadium and training facilities year-round, and I also know that LFC is working with another part of said firm, albeit on something unrelated. I've no doubt it would be a straightforward and, for a club of our means, fairly cheap solution to send a guard round to the match-day players' houses in a liveried vehicle. Would act as a visible deterrent and in the event of more determined thieves would provide someone who is trained to deal with those situations with body-worn cameras to collect evidence and a hotline through to the police for an immediate response.

In a way, given the volume of incidents like this, I'm a little surprised the club hasn't arranged for something like this already.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez

No because that deters opportunists. The gangs targeting footballers are clearly organised crime gangs not some junkie looking for a quick score of a pair of trainers to sell for crack.

PeachesEnRegalia

I'll get me coat...
No because that deters opportunists. The gangs targeting footballers are clearly organised crime gangs not some junkie looking for a quick score of a pair of trainers to sell for crack.
How much does a knocked-off pair of trainers go for these days?

Asking for a friend.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
No, it deters both.

Risk vs reward - If Mane's house holds the same value but his security increases, he is less likely to be targeted. It's very simple.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
CCTV doesn't do much to deter the organised criminals. It's amazing what a balaclava does. In an advocate of getting a couple of guard dogs and paying for the alarms to be connected to the police or a security unit.

RodM

That is only us. Di Maria was robbed whilst he was at Utd, some stupid idiot tried to rob Duncan Ferguson I think whilst he was at Rangers when he happened to be at home.

I bet if you looked into it, there would probably be a few Everton players have been turned over as well
I thought the Ferguson one was when he was at Everton. I seem to recall that the Police turned up to rescue the burglars.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I remember a story from my Dads mate. A pick up turned up late in the evening on a construction site, the security guard at the gate house let them in as they convinced him they were contractors. After about 5 mins the power went off in the gate house, the security guard after looking at the fuse board decided the genie must have run out of juice. On the way out the pick up pulled to the gate, the said security guard opened the gate for them. As they drove past leaving site he noticed a generator on the back, he didnt think anymore of it until he realised that his was missing...

Red over the water

Peoples houses get burgled every day when they're out.
Most responsible home owners install effective security deterrents.
You’re right, but it’s not the most pastoral response I’ve ever read!

It seems there is a disproportionate amount of opportunistic burglary to footballers who are playing. The list above made for depressing reading. I don’t think our players are any less responsible than other home owners - it’s just that they seem to be targeted. Presumably to burglars the chance of nabbing a £10k+ watch is a bit more appealing than nabbing my Timex. It’s a societal problem and the reasons are multifaceted.

It would be nice if the club did something. It would be easy PR too. Security arrangements could be made and per above, the cost would be a relative drop in the bucket, given the money sloshing around football. With some thought and attention, another subsidiary spin off ‘industry’ could sprout up. Depending on the details, the players could pay towards this too e.g. the club covers matches, but if players want extended security arrangements, they can chip in for that. We could lead the way and other clubs would likely follow suit.

Red over the water

PS - the point is well made about shoddy, untrained security, and on the other side, determined burglars. Hopefully if the club got involved we would use proper professionals, trained people and so on.

It still wouldn’t stop all burglary (I seem to remember someone sitting on the end of the Queen’s bed chatting to her at Buckingham Palace years ago, so where there’s a will there’s a way) but presumably the vast majority of the sort of thing we are seeing would be eradicated.

Dane

NEXT!
You’re right, but it’s not the most pastoral response I’ve ever read!
It wasn't intended to be.
Not saying I dont feel for Mane, it must be a horrible intrusive thing to be exposed to.
But, I have far more sympathy for Joe Bloggs who struggles just above the bread line and cant afford fancy security deterrents to keep low lifes from ransacking his property.