• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Players being burgled whilst playing

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
build a gated community where the players can buy/rent houses during their tenure?
Exactly what I asked in another thread. Can't believe why the UK developers don't see this as an opportunity to do something and charge these multi-millionaire kids an arm and leg they could afford for such homes. This type of homes are very popular in the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia, where the rich that could afford it would buy a home at premium and live there for the safety of their family and properties.

While there are no fool-proof solution, but at least for a gated community with guards all over the place with adequate training would have been good enough. Like someone here said, it creates deterrent and those goons will think twice in doing their deeds like how they are now.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I thought the Ferguson one was when he was at Everton. I seem to recall that the Police turned up to rescue the burglars.
I do remember the old Bill rescuing the burglars but always thought he was still at rangers. Having checked though you are right, he was at the bitters

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Exactly what I asked in another thread. Can't believe why the UK developers don't see this as an opportunity to do something and charge these multi-millionaire kids an arm and leg they could afford for such homes. This type of homes are very popular in the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia, where the rich that could afford it would buy a home at premium and live there for the safety of their family and properties.

While there are no fool-proof solution, but at least for a gated community with guards all over the place with adequate training would have been good enough. Like someone here said, it creates deterrent and those goons will think twice in doing their deeds like how they are now.
Playa Aventuras south of Cancun in Mexico, been into that facility. Armed guards at the gate checking identification just to access the community. Was looking at a piece of property there with interest but no way I wanted any part in it once I saw the condition it was in. Shame, as one time it was a nice little boutique resort with little two story villas for rent with direct water access to the Gulf of Mexico and great views

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Playa Aventuras south of Cancun in Mexico, been into that facility. Armed guards at the gate checking identification just to access the community. Was looking at a piece of property there with interest but no way I wanted any part in it once I saw the condition it was in. Shame, as one time it was a nice little boutique resort with little two story villas for rent with direct water access to the Gulf of Mexico and great views
An older uncle and his wife lived in something like that only top notch. It was situated in the hills of Walnut Creek near San Francisco. The houses were built on the hills and in the middle, the community had their own 18 holes golf course tennis cords etc, etc. I could do that. lol

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Typically when you work duties make you a target for crime the employer takes some responsibility.

For example a number of year back I worked in Roslin where they made Dolly the sheep. Due to a shit missleading article on the BBC we had hundreds of angry animal rights protesters. Red paint was thrown at cars, death threats were sent to some people’s homes. Till it died down we got issued a security guy. He would meet me in the morning to come in, and wait outside my home for a couple of hours when got back.

The club prides it’s self on being like a family. Yet virtually every year for the last 20 years 1 or 2 players have been burgled.Lovren and Gerrard said it has badly affected their form.

Whilst I know footballers elsewhere are targeted. We have a disproportionate high numbers.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

Like The Walking Dead, but with no zombies?

RedForever2014

It'd be interesting to see in two club cities what proportion of one club's players get targeted versus the other's.

It does seem disproportionately LFC players in Liverpool who get burgled.

sms1986

It'd be interesting to see in two club cities what proportion of one club's players get targeted versus the other's.

It does seem disproportionately LFC players in Liverpool who get burgled.
Richer and more high-profile in general than Everton players.

Red over the water

To Dane, post above:

Fair enough. When bad things happen to two people we don’t know, Joe Bloggs on the breadline will always garner more sympathy than the privileged millionaire. The story in hand was about Mane though. And half a step away from that, the trend on burglaries at footballers homes. Widening it out further it is a societal blight, and the poor are disproportionately affected and deserve most sympathy.

Hopefully better arrangements are made, and perhaps the club could help too, as noted above. Widening the argument out further, I’d like to see much harsher punishment for burglars if we are talking about deterrents. The burden of deterrent shouldn’t be solely with the homeowner. The system of law and order should be robust, so people think twice. Personally I’d have no qualms with jail time, and significant time if a repeat offender. I’m not up on what happens to burglars, but I would imagine the biggest outcome is not getting caught, and for those who are caught I would imagine a slew of minor fines and community service sort of options, before the punishment starts to get meaningful.

Mane, a rich man, has my sympathy. Hopefully better arrangements are made to minimize this. He should be part of the solution as the home owner. The club could be. And the police and courts should be part of the solution too.

Edit:
I just looked it up and read that burglary could get up to six years prison time. More than I expected to be fair. Determining factors included people home, carrying a weapon, breaking in and forcing entry, value of goods stolen, and affect on people.

I’d be interested to know how many are caught, as anecdotally several people I’ve known who were robbed got a case number (maybe a crime number?) from the police to use for insurance purposes, almost as if that completed the case for the police! I very much got the impression that catching the offender wasn’t a high priority.

Last edited:

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I bet if you looked into it, there would probably be a few Everton players have been turned over as well
Thats OK though, they came away without any silverware.

I’d be interested to know how many are caught, as anecdotally several people I’ve known who were robbed got a case number (maybe a crime number?) from the police to use for insurance purposes, almost as if that completed the case for the police! I very much got the impression that catching the offender wasn’t a high priority.
I was crashed into in a busy car park in Liverpool, 100% on the car parks CCTV. Went to the police and he literally said to me "To be honest, we probably wont catch them". They couldnt give 2 fucks about normal people ha

Arminius

FSG PR plant
In that sense, it isn't. The case number more or less completes the investigation, they will at most have catalogued what was taken, along with having taken statements. Chasing departed burglars is like chasing smoke. They just hope for a mistake somewhere along the way, then with a suspect in hand work backward to see how many similar crimes they might be able to hang on the individual.

Sweeting

I'm surprised players don't just get someone to sit in their house whilst they're out, either a paid guard or a family member.

Burglars aren't going into a house when they know someone is in there - that could quickly become a much more serious crime.

For all the talk of this mob being an "organised crime gang", they ran off when a woman shouted "Oi!". Seems unlikely they are going in to lived in properties.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm surprised players don't just get someone to sit in their house whilst they're out, either a paid guard or a family member.

Burglars aren't going into a house when they know someone is in there - that could quickly become a much more serious crime.

For all the talk of this mob being an "organised crime gang", they ran off when a woman shouted "Oi!". Seems unlikely they are going in to lived in properties.
Wasn't a couple of these break ins committed whilst the players partner were in the house?

I seem to recall 1 partner commenting on how she felt uneasy in the house after someone had broken in whilst she was in the house

Sweeting

Wasn't a couple of these break ins committed whilst the players partner were in the house?

I seem to recall 1 partner commenting on how she felt uneasy in the house after someone had broken in whilst she was in the house
I'll bet that they made a mistake and thought the house was empty.

FGred

It would be interesting to find out if these burglaries occur just before our biggest rivals matches?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Masked raiders broke in while Gerrard captained his side in a victory in a Champions League tie against Marseille.
His wife, Alex Curran, confronted the gang who demanded she hand over jewellery and the contents of a safe or else they would “take her kids”.

Phil Jagielka was held at knifepoint when an armed gang burst into his home in 2009.
The defender was confronted by three men who stormed his £2m mansion in Cheshire.
They thrust a knife towards the Blues star and forced him to open a safe and hand over jewellery, believed to include two high value Rolex and Breitling watches.

Believe what you want to. I would call that organised crime gangs with serious intent.

Sweeting

Masked raiders broke in while Gerrard captained his side in a victory in a Champions League tie against Marseille.
His wife, Alex Curran, confronted the gang who demanded she hand over jewellery and the contents of a safe or else they would “take her kids”.

Phil Jagielka was held at knifepoint when an armed gang burst into his home in 2009.
The defender was confronted by three men who stormed his £2m mansion in Cheshire.
They thrust a knife towards the Blues star and forced him to open a safe and hand over jewellery, believed to include two high value Rolex and Breitling watches.

Believe what you want to. I would call that organised crime gangs with serious intent.
In which case any security wouldn't matter but this particular gang who attacked Mane's house ran after being shouted out so they probably weren't the same group.

I'm just saying having someone in the house is better than an empty house for security.

Obviously an organised gang might not be deterred but not much can be done in that case. The risk those guys are taking is far too much for most criminals.

Some people are suggesting building a fort knox facility to keep the players safe ffs. Just do the best you can, have a house minder, buy a decent CCTV, alarm system and lock the doors. Not much else you can do and not much else needs to be done to deter most threats to the property.

Besides, the articles you highlight don't mean that they didn't mean to break in when the house is empty - just that they've reacted aggressively when confronted.

Last edited:

Red over the water

In that sense, it isn't. The case number more or less completes the investigation, they will at most have catalogued what was taken, along with having taken statements. Chasing departed burglars is like chasing smoke. They just hope for a mistake somewhere along the way, then with a suspect in hand work backward to see how many similar crimes they might be able to hang on the individual.
You’re right, but it’s disappointing! I grew up watching various tv detectives. I want to imagine a world where they take this stuff seriously and hunt down the villain and catch him, just before the adverts.

Minka

There's something missing in this story. I'm sure top footballers can afford to make their homes impenetrable at a price they would hardly notice out of their wages. Either the burglars have found a way to get around this security which we are not told about or there is just inadequate. The linkage between champions league games and robberies is misleading. So their house is totally empty is the reason they got robbed. Have they not heard of house sitters. Even the home alone kid could set up a trick to give the impression to outsiders that there were people moving around in the house.

sms1986

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
He's been told it was a few pikey manc twats, and he's going to make them pay.

AngliaRed

True story. Old stager Sammy Chung at Watford had his car stolen one Saturday afternoon. In the game he scored three, before match abandoned because of fog. Remorseful thief returned his car with a note to Sammy saying he felt so sorry for him that he could have his car back.

MinniMo

They should ask the military how they keep people safe - trying to get into the likes of RAF Leeming is virtually impossible. They have a whole gated community where families live, and you have to jump several hoops before you can even get near, and then pass fully armed men. If you want to visit anyone, they are phoned to check, and all your details are taken - it's all really secure. If the armed forces can do it, and afford it, surely football clubs can too?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
They should ask the military how they keep people safe - trying to get into the likes of RAF Leeming is virtually impossible. They have a whole gated community where families live, and you have to jump several hoops before you can even get near, and then pass fully armed men. If you want to visit anyone, they are phoned to check, and all your details are taken - it's all really secure. If the armed forces can do it, and afford it, surely football clubs can too?
Don't think they can.

Surely there are solutions that don't involve cocooning footballers away in gated compounds patrolled by private armies?

MinniMo

I've had to live in gated/guarded compounds a couple of times in my life, and been grateful that I knew me and mine were safe. It's not an inconvenience to live in at all, and having been on the bad end of waking up with a knife to my throat (7 years old) while we were burgled, I would go for the compounds every time.