• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

Smash

TIA Youth Team
Henderson did himself no favors today.. For a player we were linked to in the summer that Traore looks pretty decent, far more lively then our current big man on loan

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Opps already one topic created.

Mods delete one of the thread.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Sick and tired of giving away soft goals. Good first half, poor second. Only bright spot was Suso.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Brad can throw some shrimp on the barbie. He deserved it after that performance.

Reactions: RMP

FreakLFC

Disappointed.
Very weak in the final third of the pitch. Lacked ambition.
Lets survive Chelsea.

NZred

The Red From NZ
My initial reaction is..meh.

League>>>>>>>>>everything else..

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Watching Liverpool these days is so frustrating, you wait and wait for the goal then it comes for the other team, then you wait and wait for the equaliser and it never comes.

The lack of scoring is so worrying!

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
This thread title format is all wrong.... awful.
Good point, fixed it to put it in perspective for some people.

Full strength Anzhi side played a Liverpool 11 who, if everyone was fit, wouldn't get near the pitch against Chelsea. No Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Sahin, Lucas, Gerrard, Sterling, or Suarez.

Disappointing result, but still well in the competition, and would rather take the loss away on a frozen pitch than risk the important lads and keep the eye on the Chelsea match.

In terms of the match, Coates was horrible, Henderson looked a mile off the pace, and when Pacheco came on, if I was one of his teammates, I'd have battered him. Still though, as NZred put it, meh.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Given the lineup out there, 1-0 aint so bad.

If Udinese can't pull off a win here, we'll be in pretty good shape. Think it's 1-1 right now? They need a win to get ahead of us in the group. Otherwise, we hold em to a draw in Udine and we'd advance

FreakLFC

Shelvey's Free kick. lol
Henderson with that shot wide in the final minutes of the game. :(
Just shows the composure really. We need to have a plan B. it looked like we were never in it to win it.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Wasn't as bad as people are making out. Fairly lacking up front, but that was always expected. Asides from the end where we opened up to chase the game we looked solid. Jones made some good saves but got his positioning all wrong for the goal. Flanno probably our best player on the pitch in the first half, Wisdom and Carra did well but Coates was a bit sloppy. Downing actually looks a pretty good wing back to me, made quite a few good interceptions. Coady was okay but I feel he's going to be another Spearing, and Hendo was frustrating to say the least. Shelvey head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield. Morgan didn't get much to work off. Cole had one of his better games but is still nowhere near the required level.

From the subs, Pacheco looked poor (and justified his exclusion for me), Suso was the one shining light in our team, and Assaidi didn't do anything of note.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Very very average performance. Disappointed really. I really would have preferred we played our strong squad for this game. I really cant see us winning at the bridge[sorry if i am pessimistic]. Our body language was wrong. We went to draw the game and we lost.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I am surprised rogers didnt learn from his past mistakes.
Play cole? And surely i would have preferred yesil over morgan.

haakeye

Banned Users
Brendas picking of teams beginning to annoy and bore me Needed stevie and luis on bench wouldnt have lost then simple truth

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
I thought we were fairly solid, but individual mistakes led to the goal and their chances. I could never see where a goal was going to come from for us. We were good everywhere except for the final third, where I thought our movement was sub par with the exception of Morgan. Carragher, Jones, Wisdom, Downing, and Suso were all very good.

Henderson really needs to stop panicking when he gets into good positions or he will never make it into our first 11.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I thought we played great the first 20 minutes and then it went downhill the rest of the first half. By the time half an hour was up I was just hoping we could get to halftime with a draw. We almost made it.

Second half was more entertaining than the first, although we did give up a fair bit of good chances.

Overall there were a lot of positives to pick up from this match when talking about individual players. As always though without a true scorer on the pitch we stand no chance.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Decent first half bar conceeding another soft goal. Coates pace is deceptive, hes actually slower than he looks. Jones made some decent saves and hes positioning is good. Lots of shots seem to go at him but hes in the right spot to take them.
We lack decent front players even at this level. Second half was poor. Jonjo strolling, Cole looks like an asthmtic geriatric who may need CPR anytime soon. Downing is so poor it defies words. Either crosses to a yellow shirt or hits the first man. You could have 10 players in the fucking box and he still wouldnt pick one out.
Only bright spot in the second hald was Suso. Lovely on the ball. What the fuck did Kenny pay 16mil for Henderson when we had Suso and Shelvey at the club. Ive been defending him lately but tonight he was so so poor. Exit door looms large for some of these guys.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
My initial reaction is..meh.

League>>>>>>>>>everything else..
a fascinating thought process.

we are currently about 12th spot, theres no REAL ambition/hope that 4th will be obtained, why would you say that 5th or 6th place in the league is more important than a european competition.

we had the same debate last season....4th place was more important than the carling cup, now a 5th or 6th place finish is more important than a european trophy?

or have i read you wrong?

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I said it in the match thread, still think we deserved a draw from that. Chances were fairly even and that was our second team. We gave our main team a rest and could still qualify easily. Also everyone saying Anzhi are a poor side needs to look at their league table and know that this team hasn't lost at home for quite a while. There is a possibility, though some won't believe it, that we made them look a bad side.

As for the game though, Cole was there to give people at look at what they could (hopefully) be buying in January. Was disappointed with Hendo, Shelvey and Pacheco when he came on. Thought Flanno had a good game, same with Jones and Suso looked the best player on the pitch when he came on. Also thought Carra did well. Coates need a but more time and Shelvey needs to cut out the lunges.

Sweeting

Brendas picking of teams beginning to annoy and bore me Needed stevie and luis on bench wouldnt have lost then simple truth
It would have annoyed me more if we dragged them to Moscow when we play Chelsea on Sunday.

Who gives a fuck about a game that ultimately meant nothing in Russia? Nothing hinged on that match. We beat Young Boys at Anfield and we'll still be in a good position going to Italy.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I feel for the fans who made that trip. This is no way you respect the fans. The amount of money they spend for the trip? its criminal to even field a youth team.

rab

Suso and some decent saves from Jones is about all the positives you can take away from this. We didn't ever look like winning or scoring but with a pretty reserve team out you can't expect much more.

Bigger games on the horizon to rest the better players for but the lack of drive, desire and confidence is a worry. Every player bar the odd one or two plays with a scowl on their face thats only ever replaced by a look of panic or frustration when something goes wrong.

FreakLFC

I am surprised rogers didnt learn from his past mistakes.
Play cole? And surely i would have preferred yesil over morgan.
That's what bothers me the most. He played Cole again. Was completely off the pace.
If at all there is a Plan B, Cole should be in it.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
It would have annoyed me more if we dragged them to Moscow when we play Chelsea on Sunday.

Who gives a fuck about a game that ultimately meant nothing in Russia? Nothing hinged on that match. We beat Young Boys at Anfield and we'll still be in a good position going to Italy.
I think that depends if young boys draw or win vs udinese.
If udinese win, it would be a different scenario.