• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I thought we were fairly solid, but individual mistakes led to the goal and their chances. I could never see where a goal was going to come from for us. We were good everywhere except for the final third, where I thought our movement was sub par with the exception of Morgan. Carragher, Jones, Wisdom, Downing, and Suso were all very good.

Henderson really needs to stop panicking when he gets into good positions or he will never make it into our first 11.
Despite defending him lately I reckon he will make a number 11. It will be a big No.11 red bus though that will take him to stoke, sunderland or wherever Brendan can get 5Mil for him.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
It would have annoyed me more if we dragged them to Moscow when we play Chelsea on Sunday.

Who gives a fuck about a game that ultimately meant nothing in Russia? Nothing hinged on that match. We beat Young Boys at Anfield and we'll still be in a good position going to Italy.
I agree to an extent, but I find it hard to knock someone who wants to win every game we play.

FreakLFC

I missed this... can somehow pls explain his free kick?
We get a free kick from almost the center of the pitch about 30 yards out. Shelvey takes it and misses...............................the corner flag on his far end.

Lucas

All this match confirmed was my fear of what'll happen when Suarez inevitably picks up his 5th yellow card against Chelsea/Wigan

lancashirelad

[background=rgb(253, 252, 252)]If Joe Cole is the answer for Rodgers, what in the world is the question?[/background]

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Is that good/bad? Makes the group tight. Our group is the toughest!
But we know we can beat YB. That means with Udinese playing Anzhi next game one of them has to drop points. If Anzhi win and YB win tonight then we are basically through unless something unthinkable happens with our YB game

lancashirelad

It's alright, refs now hate Chelsea after that spat in United's game. Howard Webb would surely be angry at them for disrespecting his team, when Chelsea played them.
Good point overlooked the "JT" and the "sh8te" factor

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
It would have annoyed me more if we dragged them to Moscow when we play Chelsea on Sunday.

Who gives a fuck about a game that ultimately meant nothing in Russia? Nothing hinged on that match. We beat Young Boys at Anfield and we'll still be in a good position going to Italy.
i disagree.

im not suggesting suarez and gerrard even get on the plane, but that was a half arsed effort, had it have been a different coach, say Rafa, the stall would have been set out for a hard fought gritty 0-0 draw, not just a mixture of footballers thrown on the park so the 'big' players could be rested...

it was less than a year ago you posted something along the lines of how disgusted you were with the club when they went to an away game just to make up the numbers.....

thats exactly what that was...

at least thats how i saw it...

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
The last weeks I've been thinking about when I was positively surprised by the outcome of match...I really can't remember.

In January, Liverpool FC, needs to show some real intent.

This is my club and it hurts.

Didn't think we would get anything from this match. All expensive Liverpool players on the pitch today, either by transfer fees or salary, were a total waste of space.

We will return to winning days.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
[background=rgb(253, 252, 252)]If Joe Cole is the answer for Rodgers, what in the world is the question?[/background]
Who is most expensive free transfer in the history of free transfers? As a scally in the kop behind me once said "Fuckin Voronin, you were a free transfer and you were still too fuckin dear". Laughed my ass off at that one.

Sweeting

I think that depends if young boys draw or win vs udinese.
If udinese win, it would be a different scenario.
No it won't we'd go third and then a win over Young Boys will put us into 2nd at least. A point at Udinese would see us through.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
It's a sad day.

We are such a poor team. The boys out there today were not the Liverpool reserves. Most of them were part of the 1st team.

If our manager thinks that the combo of "out of favor" + teenage players can play together agaist strong European or Swansea-like PL teams is day-dreaming. This can only happen after the "core" or the new "spine" of our team is built. The 4-5 player engine that would power the "associates" of the team. And the associates can be the kids or out of favor players.

It's probably most appropriate to state this in the manager thread, but this selection and this approach will not be tolerated as long as the manager hopes for/expects. Cause today indicated to me that Brendan thinks he's got 3-4 years to finish his rebuilding.

He doesn't.

Sweeting

i disagree.

im not suggesting suarez and gerrard even get on the plane, but that was a half arsed effort, had it have been a different coach, say Rafa, the stall would have been set out for a hard fought gritty 0-0 draw, not just a mixture of footballers thrown on the park so the 'big' players could be rested...

it was less than a year ago you posted something along the lines of how disgusted you were with the club when they went to an away game just to make up the numbers.....

thats exactly what that was...

at least thats how i saw it...
I don't remember what that was, but either way we didn't exactly just make up the numbers did we? We got beat but were the better side for much of the game. Anzhi were horrible and we only looked poor near the end when we lost all semblance of shape with the changes.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What detergent the club should use to clean those dirt off the kit, and make it look squeaky clean?

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
I don't remember what that was, but either way we didn't exactly just make up the numbers did we? We got beat but were the better side for much of the game. Anzhi were horrible and we only looked poor near the end when we lost all semblance of shape with the changes.
Good. So our manager said that Swansea was a better team when we lost to them. Now today folks are saying Anzi were the better team.

We have finally arrived at accepting worse than mediocrity.

So is any team worse than Villapool?

FreakLFC

In January, Liverpool FC, needs to show some real

We will return to winning days.
Hopefully lessons are learnt here. We need to act fast. We need to complete our signing in the first week max by 2nd week. If we keep dragging it then we can say bye bye to our potential signings to rival teams.
Obviously we don't wanna make a mistake by doing it too quickly. Rodgers needs to identify who he wants and get him quick!

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
fair enough, im not thinking along the same lines though, that team was sent out not to win or draw the game, but just to see how they all went....

is that good enough?

i mean, flip the whole arguement on its head, why are we just taking for granted that we need to rest everyone for the prem anyway?

what, so we can get 7th instead of 9th?

4th is gone, playing chelsea away (i think) should be just an exercise in containment, no? we used to do that even when we were aiming to win the league, let alone just show 'good progress'...

so, yeah, im not that emotional, i just think its a bit of a shame that we are happy to strategically lose in a competition we actually have a chance of winning.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Good thing is there are a few different scenarios that can play out but the group is wide open and we're in control of our destiny. We are in decent shape as far as goal differential as well

Sweeting

Good. So our manager said that Swansea was a better team when we lost to them. Now today folks are saying Anzi were the better team.

We have finally arrived at accepting worse than mediocrity.

So is any team worse than Villapool?
We played 5 lads who last season were part of the U19 side. I'm happy with sending young lads to fight for their place in these games - if we had sent out a team brimming with 30+ year olds and got then yeah it's annoying but we had a young side who acquitted themselves very well and were unlucky to be beaten.

Sweeting

fair enough, im not thinking along the same lines though, that team was sent out not to win or draw the game, but just to see how they all went....

is that good enough?

i mean, flip the whole arguement on its head, why are we just taking for granted that we need to rest everyone for the prem anyway?

what, so we can get 7th instead of 9th?

4th is gone, playing chelsea away (i think) should be just an exercise in containment, no? we used to do that even when we were aiming to win the league, let alone just show 'good progress'...

so, yeah, im not that emotional, i just think its a bit of a shame that we are happy to strategically lose in a competition we actually have a chance of winning.
I think we were able to give some good experience to young lads, allow them to show what we can do and not use any of the first team.

With the size of our squad we should be protecting players like Suarez - at the end of the day if we do finish 6th rather than 10th that would probably save Rodgers' job - winning the Europa League probably wouldn't.

We have to build up to being a top side again and part of that is taking these defeats and learning from it. Not nice at the time but it's a learning process ain't it.