• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I agree with Henderson did not play well and should have scored in the first half he looks like a player who looks like the rabbit caught in the Headlights. Don't agree with you over JonJo I thought other than the free Kick he had a good game. Loosing 1 nil to a Anzhi at there place or country is no disgrace given we di not take 8/9 players who will be playing on Sunday. Rogers is damed if he does and damed if he does not, only a few weeks ago everyone was saying big mistake playing the senior player and now tonight they moan about not taking the senior players. With the squad we have at the moment I do feel we are doing fairly well. Rogers will put the league first above other compertions and thats fine by me as we need to finish higher up the table than we have the last couple of seasons. Even with the loss in this game we are still in a postion to make it out of the group. This was always going to be the hard one, 3200 mile round trip and then a big game against Chelsea this was always going to be the game we rested the more senior players. The young players that came in did not disgrace them selves they did well for me and will have gain vatial experance from this

Doggie

Resident Optimist
This thread reads like a load of Manc trolls lol

Thought there were some really promising performances out there from the juniors, but also the regular mediocre ones from you know who.

We passed the ball around really nicely, and deserved the draw I reckon.

Happy that Rodgers left the seniors at home - it's a tactical decision, and with Young Boys winning we now look very strong to qualify, so it's all rosy as far as I'm concerned.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Well YB have won which means if we beat them we are through (i think)

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
So here is where the group stands:

Anzhi - 7 (GD 2)
Liverpool - 6 (GD 1)
YBB - 6 (GD -1)
Udinese - 4 (GD -3)

Beat YBB at Anfield and draw away to Udinese and we are through. Might require even less than that, if Udinese lose at Anzhi next round...we can lose in Italy and still go through

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Well YB have won which means if we beat them we are through (i think)
Almost Udinese need to go to Anji Makhachkala and win and then beat us, if we beat YB then we should go through.

Anzhi - 7 (GD 2)
Liverpool - 6 (GD 1)
YBB - 6 (GD -1)
Udinese - 4 (GD -3)

Beat YBB at Anfield and draw away to Udinese and we are through. Might require even less than that, if Udinese lose at Anzhi next round...we can lose in Italy and still go through
Or draw, of course it's results against the other teams that count so if we beat YB you could count them out

basil1492

TIA Squad Member

Anzhi - 7 (GD 2)
Liverpool - 6 (GD 1)
YBB - 6 (GD -1)
Udinese - 4 (GD -3)

Even if Anzhi get a draw against Udinese and we beat YB we're through which would mean this game didn't matter anyway. Shame for the fans that paid to watch it but keeping the boys fit for Chelsea was more important. Can you imagine the blame falling on BR if he had taken a full team out, lost to these and Chelsea on Sunday or if Suarez had gotten injured. Definitely was the right decision in the end.

@Matty, yeah, i realised that after watching the end of the YB game. The worst we would need now though is a win against YB and a draw against Udinese but i can't see Udinese getting a win at Anzhi.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Amazed Young Boys did the double over Udinese - they may well give us a tough match at Anfield.

I don't think enough credit has been given to Anji, their defence was solid, especially the centre backs.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Even if Anzhi get a draw against Udinese and we beat YB we're through which would mean this game didn't matter anyway. Shame for the fans that paid to watch it but keeping the boys fit for Chelsea was more important. Can you imagine the blame falling on BR if he had taken a full team out, lost to these and Chelsea on Sunday or if Suarez had got injured. Definitely was the right decision in the end.
I tend to agree, it was different in the home leg for me because we needed to play ourselves into the driving seat, results today keep us in that, and the commentator on ITV said it will be apparently pretty dire when they play out their weather wise.

JackleCube

Overall it was just really really dull. The kids are better than the older players, would've been better to just play the whole of last years under 19's. The most annoying thing for me, as some have pointed out is just the complete lack of any ambition or direction this game. We never looked like we wanted to win, at times some were very lethargic. Thought Shelvey's attitude was abysmal, frankly he looks way to comfortable, like he's not concerned about any competition for his place at all, for all his talent, his general "way" is starting to annoy me, at times he tried bossing the game like he thought he was the star man on the pitch, but just made himself look like a tit, he pushed Henderson out the of the way for the free-kick that he then completed fucked-up.

My overall feeling is disappointment; if we don't want to win a game, why even bother turning up? The only hero's tonight were the fans that made the journey, such commitment for what they must've known in the back of their minds was going to be a piss-poor game on a cold night in Russia.

EDIT: Also, I think it's OK to say a game doesn't really matter when generally you're winning most of your games, but what about a team that's barely winning any, we need to start getting some form together, and also a consistent starting eleven, regardless of the competition.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Is the Europa League on goal difference or head-to-head? Regardless, we should field a strong team at Anfield against YBB, batter them, and hopefully (we'll know the other result before kick off) we should be through. If Udinese lose to Anzhi then we can send the kids to Italy.

FreakLFC

Overall it was just really really dull. The kids are better than the older players, would've been better to just play the whole of last years under 19's. The most annoying thing for me, as some have pointed out is just the complete lack of any ambition or direction this game. We never looked like we wanted to win, at times some were very lethargic. Thought Shelvey's attitude was abysmal, frankly he looks way to comfortable, like he's not concerned about any competition for his place at all, for all his talent, his general "way" is starting to annoy me, at times he tried bossing the game like he thought he was the star man on the pitch, but just made himself look like a tit, he pushed Henderson out the of the way for the free-kick that he then completed fucked-up.

My overall feeling is disappointment; if we don't want to win a game, why even bother turning up? The only hero's tonight were the fans that made the journey, such commitment for what they must've known in the back of their minds was going to be a piss-poor game on a cold night in Russia.

EDIT: Also, I think it's OK to say a game doesn't really matter when generally you're winning most of your games, but what about a team that's barely winning any, we need to start getting some form together, and also a consistent starting eleven, regardless of the competition.
Exactly what i feel about Shelvey! he was terrible today. I've never seen a full 90 min solid performance from him. yet.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
With two real strikers in that 3-5-2, we would have won I think. Also if hendo had scored it would have been a different game. We still got a good chance of going through so, all in all not too bad. And we rested Suarez for a full game for once. Allen and Gerrard aswell. Atleast thats positive.
Whatever happen to reina, thought he was fit already last week, guess we see him this weekend.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Is the Europa League on goal difference or head-to-head? Regardless, we should field a strong team at Anfield against YBB, batter them, and hopefully (we'll know the other result before kick off) we should be through. If Udinese lose to Anzhi then we can send the kids to Italy.
It's GD and then it's # of goals scored. If still tied, it's goals scored head to head...or at least that's how I understand it based on the rules off wikipedia (couldnt find the rules off the UEFA Europa website...)

Doggie

Resident Optimist

This is so full of contradictions I don't know where to start lol

I thought Shelvey mostly played well - you need to consider that he wasn't exactly in the strongest midfield and Downing was doing his usual vanishing act.

I'm not sure what some folks expected from this game - Anji are a really good side.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Was going to sell my Young Boys tix...this being a must win, I'll be there.

It's never easy to win in Russia, the lads did ok but - playing away there needs more experience for a win - I'm glad we didn't play our experienced players for a win as we've got bigger fish to fry.

Thought Cole acquitted himself a bit better tonight, Coady was great too. Not a game I'm bothered about winning or losing really. Bring on them young boys - if we win, we're pretty much through. Job done

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
It's GD and then it's # of goals scored. If still tied, it's goals scored head to head...or at least that's how I understand it based on the rules off wikipedia (couldnt find the rules off the UEFA Europa website...)
Cheers, so if we can put a couple past YBB and Udinese lose we're as good as through.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
keep in mind Udinese are playing Anzhi in the depths of a Moscow winter - draw for me that one.

FCLIVERPOOL

TIA Reserve Team
Joe Cole was so poor, & has been for a while, that I now feel not only sorry BUT embarrassed for him. Henderson was also poor and Coates looks like he is running in quick sand. I have to question whether slowing the game down helps us in anyway. The passing game is all well when the ball is kept moving. And to do that you need players to get into positions and be good on the ball. Sadly we stopped the ball too many times and the likes of Henderson, Cole are poor on the ball,loising it too easily.Pacheco was also dissappointing but Suso was excellent again. Oh well as long as we get something out of Sunday...

haakeye

Banned Users
We didnt deserve that tonight But its another defeat another goal conceded no matter how much you try and paint over it

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Why is everyone so convinced we deserved to win? They missed a couple sitters, and we didn't create a ton of good chances. Again we seemed toothless. To be expected with that lineup.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
From UEFA
7.05 If two or more teams are equal on points on co
mpletion of all the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (in descending order):

a) Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
b ) Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
c) Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
d) Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
e) If, after having applied criteria a) to d), two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final
rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to h) apply;
f) Superior goal difference from all group matches played;
g) Higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
h) Higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons
Win the next match (with presumably our first team playing) and we qualify ...unless Udinese win in Moscow

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Why is everyone so convinced we deserved to win? They missed a couple sitters, and we didn't create a ton of good chances. Again we seemed toothless. To be expected with that lineup.
"with that lineup"? We only have 1 striker that we can count on getting goals just now and it's already been mentioned that he is involved in every goal bar 2 for us right now. The problem with that is even Suarez (even if he doesn't believe it) can't play every single game. Until we get another striker we will be toothless whenever we don't play Suarez but as i mentioned earlier, if we took him for this game and he got injured there would be people calling for someones head.

The game itself though i believe we made as many chances as them and if for instance Hendo had put that 1st chance in we wouldn't have been playing so attacking, their last few chances probably wouldn't have happened. I don't think we deserved to win but a draw would have been fair.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Take a look at the team that Spurs put out there today, in this "crappy, useless, unecessary, meaningless" competition.

They've got multimillion worth players like Bale, Lennon, Defoe & Adebayor starting and we've got toddlers mixed with Joey's.

What's worse than our "Liverpool 11" losing to Anzhi today?

Our manager telling us on Sunday that we have a very thin squad after a loss to Chelsea.

Back to today's game (saw all but the first 20 minutes) I'm not going to offer detailed comments on the performance. We are not a team in synthesis when we don't start our core players (Martin, Daniel, Captain, Allen, Luis).

I will never understand or forgive our club for allowing this new low: "giving up" and not going to win a European competition. It was one slap in the face to lose to Swansea cause we are evidently indicating our intention to "get out of the cups". But to not give it all today, in hope that we'll end up higher than 12th in the league?

haakeye

Banned Users
Take a look at the team that Spurs put out there today, in this "crappy, useless, unecessary, meaningless" competition.

They've got multimillion worth players like Bale, Lennon, Defoe & Adebayor starting and we've got toddlers mixed with Joey's.

Our manager telling us on Sunday that we have a very thin squad after a loss to Chelsea.

Back to today's game (saw all but the first 20 minutes) I'm not going to offer detailed comments on the performance. We are not a team in synthesis when we don't start our core players (Martin, Daniel, Captain, Allen, Luis).

I will never understand or forgive our club for allowing this new low: "giving up" and not going to win a European competition. It was one slap in the face to lose to Swansea cause we are evidently indicating our intention to "get out of the cups". But to not give it all today, in hope that we'll end up higher than 12th in the league?
good point very true But its so depressing i dont know how much more of this i can take to be honest

Sweeting

They also have a massive squad and can afford to use players like Adebayor. Our Adebayor is Morgan.

rab

Take a look at the team they put out in last years competition when they managed to finish fourth in the league and only miss out on the Champions League by a Chelsea snooker and they made an FA Cup semi final.

Even with a deep squad you need to manage resources based on how you've prioritised the competions you're involved in. If Bale misses their next league game because of the knock to the head he's taken tonight and they loose every Spurs fan will be asking why AVB played him in the Europa League.

It's a huge trip to get out to play Anji. If the league is our priority why risk our few top players in this game with an important and difficult league game just days away? We were never going to win four competitons. We've not got a strong enough squad to compete in four competitons without risking burning out the likes of Allen, Gerrard and Suarez. It's simple squad management and we've not gone out to loose the game but do our best without subjecting our best players to a long haul trip for a game we could afford to loose and still qualify from the group.

TFC

TIA Squad Member

Your completely wrong.

Spurs are way behind in their table with this match being a must win for them. We still are on a good place on the table even with the loss. There is also a big difference between traveling to Slovenia and our teams travel.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
There were some positives from today including some of the youngsters, but this book will be the same until we get a few players that can actuualy create and finish.

Today was a great showing of the club's depth, but lack of top end talent. Same story. People can bitch and waste server space, but we all knew this was going to be the case after the summer window colapse. Nothing has changed, and nothing will until the second week in January; hopefully.

One other thing. Henderson. I've supported the las before, but in games like this, if you can not impose yourself as CM, then maybe the lad should move along. Just look what Suso did when he came on. He's a role player.