• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

mogggg

TIA Squad Member
Also bear in mind that this game was all the way in Russia, that's hardly like popping over to Paris or something.

Like other people have said, winning this game wasn't going to prove anything and Anzhi are a good side, so it was always going to be a tough assignment. I'm glad we played the side we did (with a few obvious exceptions), and to come away with a 1-0 loss is not the end of the world. We're still favoured to qualify from the group, so I wouldn't worry.

Ataturk

★★★★★
I feel for the fans who made that trip. This is no way you respect the fans. The amount of money they spend for the trip? its criminal to even field a youth team.
You'd have to be pretty dim to not have expected a team like this. Caveat Emptor etc.

Sweeting

and thats why we are where we are
Yes it is... but clearly this is something we are going to try and solve in the coming windows which is why I don't understand why people are getting so upset.

We knew our squad wasn't strong enough.

Reactions: TFC

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
It's a shame but we are still in it and will have to use our strong team in the next game................chill everyone, remember that Joe played today and showed that he is not bothered so he'll be off in January...........a positive from the game, see!!!

haakeye

Banned Users
Also bear in mind that this game was all the way in Russia, that's hardly like popping over to Paris or something.

Like other people have said, winning this game wasn't going to prove anything and Anzhi are a good side, so it was always going to be a tough assignment. I'm glad we played the side we did (with a few obvious exceptions), and to come away with a 1-0 loss is not the end of the world. We're still favoured to qualify from the group, so I wouldn't worry.
matad anzhi are adverdge at best

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Your completely wrong.

Spurs are way behind in their table with this match being a must win for them. We still are on a good place on the table even with the loss. There is also a big difference between traveling to Slovenia and our teams travel.
Got you. You are (or should I say "your") saying that we should not field good players until the very last game or the game that's considered our "must win" game. Excellent strategy to succeed in the group stage.

Sweeting

Got you. You are (or should I say "your") saying that we should not field good players until the very last game or the game that's considered our "must win" game. Excellent strategy to succeed in the group stage.
Ah the grammar attack.

The sign of a lost argument.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
The next game isn't our last and i'm fairly sure we could win it without playing all our stars. Our kids won against YB away so they should be good enough to beat them at home and this should put us through. Surely doing just enough to get through without tiring the stars is better than making your main players tired when it isn't needed?

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Take a look at the team that Spurs put out there today, in this "crappy, useless, unecessary, meaningless" competition.
2 years ago we started with:

Reina - Kelly, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Aurelio - Cole, Pacheco, Poulsen, Shelvey, Jovanovic - Babel

against S. Bucharest ...and it was not much different at all for the other EL matches. Sometimes N'gog etc.

Remember also Gerrard's famous hat-trick (in 15 minutes) versus Napoli in that round (after coming on at half-time for Jovanovic). BR said we'd aim to win our home games and would take a punt in the matches away from home. Not a bad strategy. Rafa did it as well in the CL Group Stages, featuring seriously weakened squads including Biscan, Plessis etc

As long as you qualify for the knockout stages, the manner of said qualification is surely immaterial end-of-the-day. I do get that it's a calculated risk to rely on beating Young Boys at home, albeit with our first choice XI ...but a risk I'd take. Win the next match and we pretty much qualify.

As for tonight, maybe either of Assaidi or Suso should have started, or preferably both ...and Cole maybe shouldn't have been involved. Didn't happen though.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We are lucky buggers. YB do it again and win at Udinese. :shock:

And you know what? It's deserved. BR better puts a full-strength side against this YB team in two weeks, as they will be 200% confident and motivated. They deserved to win against Anzhi at Moscow a few weeks ago, but got luckily beaten by the Russians. Their two victories against Udinese are fully deserved. Given our awful and toothless performances in this competition since the match at Berne, we better take them seriously.

YB have licked blood now, and have become much more dangerous than they were when we met them in Berne. We'd underestimate them at our own risk.

Edit: I couldn't see anything from this match. How did we cope? What was the formation? Something like the 5-3-1-1 suggested by Sozio? Cole was apparently awful, but how was Downing? And the youngsters? Coady, Flanagan, Morgan? Did Pacheco play?

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
I think we'll beat YBB if we field a strong team and then we should be ok.

I understand the plan of sending weaker teams overseas but to play like this on a world stage is very depressing for all that. It lowers morale and tells everyone we are there for the taking. Some of our shot taking was downright embarassing, Henderson and Shelvey being the main culprits.

I thought Jones and Suso did well today, none of the rest emerge with a lot of credit.

We go to Chelsea defeated and deflated ... BR has a morale boosting job of work ahead of him.

5euros

TIA Legend
Losing 1-0 out in that hell hole against the leaders of the Russian league with our best side wouldn't exactly have been a horror result so to do it with the side we did was relatively pleasing, I thought. We played reasonably well and restricted them to very little other than a soft goal. We passed it about well and Henderson really should have done better with that chance. We lacked cutting edge but that is a problem that will be addressed in January you would like to think. It just seems Rodgers is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with some people on here at the moment. He was slated for playing a strong side before the derby and he is now being slated for playing a weak team before a big Premier League game. A loss out there isn't a disaster, we are still well placed to qualify from the group.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Edit: I couldn't see anything from this match. How did we cope? What was the formation? Something like the 5-3-1-1 suggested by Sozio? Cole was apparently awful, but how was Downing? And the youngsters? Coady, Flanagan, Morgan? Did Pacheco play?
We were reasonably solid for the most part, lacked anything at all going forward0 though until Suso came on. 3-5-2 with Cole playing off Morgan, as suggested. Coady started nervously but grew into his role, not sure what position he'll take in the team though, doesn't look great positionally for a DM and his passing is fairly limited - reminds me of Spearing. Did okay though. Flanagan was great for the most part, I didn't think he'd make much of a wing back but he did well. Morgan didn't really get a chance to show what he is all about. Pacheco came on and was poor.

EDIT: Downing wasn't too bad actually, he did better than I expected on the defensive side of things, used his pace to make a couple of good interceptions. Standard performance going forward though.

SF Red

TIA Regular
There were some positives from today including some of the youngsters, but this book will be the same until we get a few players that can actuualy create and finish.

Today was a great showing of the club's depth, but lack of top end talent. Same story. People can bitch and waste server space, but we all knew this was going to be the case after the summer window colapse. Nothing has changed, and nothing will until the second week in January; hopefully.

One other thing. Henderson. I've supported the las before, but in games like this, if you can not impose yourself as CM, then maybe the lad should move along. Just look what Suso did when he came on. He's a role player.
Henderson had his worst match this season, but he has been good to very good in the other matches. He should get a couple more chances before January IMO.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We were reasonably solid for the most part, lacked anything at all going forward0 though until Suso came on. 3-5-2 with Cole playing off Morgan, as suggested. Coady started nervously but grew into his role, not sure what position he'll take in the team though, doesn't look great positionally for a DM and his passing is fairly limited - reminds me of Spearing. Did okay though. Flanagan was great for the most part, I didn't think he'd make much of a wing back but he did well. Morgan didn't really get a chance to show what he is all about. Pacheco came on and was poor.
Great, cheers for this. I guess losing 0-1, playing in Russia with ten men against eleven, and with mostly youngsters, bar one underachieving and overpaid journeyman, isn't so bad after all. More importantly, YB really kept us alive with their double win. Imagine if it was the other way round, with two Udinese victories (the most likely scenario before the games)... they'd be qualified by now, and we would be almost out of it... now, we have everything in our hands still, but need a good performance against YB in two weeks.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I'm sorry but this isn't a video game where you can play your best players every single game in all competitions.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
1.We played a bunch of kids against a squad packed with top end/past it players and lost 0-1 away in the middle of mother russia.
2.Did you expect us to win 4-0? Did you expect us to win, period?
3.Good news is Udinese lost as well so...it's not all doom and gloom.

Right, Sunday's match is far more important...this we must win.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Really dont get the doom and gloom.

We faced a team that in 10 European games have only conceded 2 goals, and neither at home.

They are also undefeated this season at home in all competitions.

We practically controlled the whole match limiting them to a few chances stabbed at and they scored one.

Morgan played up front for us, the weakest position in our squad and he is our 4th choice there but had to play as Borini is injured and Yesil had a knock.

Yes we were toothless in attack but haven't we been quite toothless in attack since Rafa left?

These were quite exceptional circumstances even for us and despite all the negativity we are in a fantastic position to qualify from the group.

Anybody would think we had lost to a no mark team in a nothing league by a big margin and out the competition with the level of negativity in here.

Coady and Henderson made Samuel Eto'o, one of the best players in Europe not long ago, playing in attacking midfield, look like a nobody.

Hiddink is considered a tactical genius and has a very good expensive side with a high scoring record this season and Rodgers faced him with kids and has beens away from home and our team performed better and forced them into playing direct counter attacking football.

If this is the start under Rodgers and as bad as it gets Im actually quite hopeful for the future.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Cole was actually good by Joe Cole standards which was pretty poor. He looked good for the first 20 minutes then disappeared. Downing actually had a good game defensively but was fairly non existent going forward, but his defensive play made up for it. I thought Flanagan had a good game, while Coady played decent but showed his inexperience at times. Morgan didn't get much of a chance to do much but he did lay in a beauty of a pass to Henderson, which Henderson screwed up. Pacheco came on as a substitute and did well for the limited time he played. Assaidi saw the pitch but didn't really make an impact, he was the last to come on. Suso came on as a substitute as well and was the best player on the pitch from the moment he stepped on it I thought, really played well.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
There are some miserable fuckers here. Not happy at anything. Seem to think that because they chose to support Liverpool they have a god given right to bask in their reflected glory every time they take to the field.

Was the team selection right? A 3200 mile round trip to play in the freezing cold on a turnip field of a pitch. Damn right it was, and still would have been had we been thumped.

1-0 is a reasonable result in the circumstances. Lets see how Udinese fare when the head there with a full strength team.

Our team tonight had an average age of 22. That's including Cole, Downing and Carragher skewing the figure. They went on one of the worst away trips possible and stood toe toe with a side assembled by a billionaire and coached by a legend and were only narrowly defeated.

They will be some team when they reach their peak. This bunch could form the basis of a Liverpool squad for the next ten years, and I think this is something to really cheer about.

I would have been furious had we take Suarez, Gerrard, Allen and the centre backs to Russia. That isn't disrespecting the fans or the club - it's reality.

On the game I thought Suso was different class when he came on - what a player he is going to be. Flanagan did well, Coady kept things simple, and Downing was surprisingly effective as a wingback. Cole was atrocious, Shelvey started well but faded. Jones was great, but on a poor position for the goal. Don't know how Morgan played, cos I don't recall seeing him on the ball. Thought Pacheco was rubbish, despite the ore match hype.

Despite the loss we're in great shape to go through, and that's ultimately the most important thing on nights like this.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
It was a really hard loss to take, not because of the selection, the performance or anything like that, simply because its another game that slips through the fingers.

Far too many games have resulted with us not winning and far too often we have to look at ourselves rather than say the opposition deserved it. We simply arent doing enough on the pitch in terms of driving on and scoring goals.

I dont want to hear any more superlatives about young players, philosophy, playing style, belief etc. from Rodgers, (he still has my backing) its time to win games.

Yes we are in transition and we are making positive strides on the pitch, and I am expecting us to lose games, but its time for the tough to get going and its time to win a number of matches.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
I couldn't see anything from this match. How did we cope? What was the formation? Something like the 5-3-1-1 suggested by Sozio? Cole was apparently awful, but how was Downing? And the youngsters? Coady, Flanagan, Morgan? Did Pacheco play?
5-3-2 on paper with Downing and Flanno in the wing-back roles. Subs were Suso and Pacheco on the hour and Assaidi for the last 12 minutes. We defended well enough and passed it well enough (60% possession all match), but had almost zero threat in front of goal.

Got undone with a long punt up-field from Anzhi 10 seconds before the break, with exquisite control from Traore (flick over) to beat Coates. Jones very much at fault though (i.e. huge error) by him impulsively charging out and allowing Traore an easy chip. Didn't see it coming.

Second half, we pressed a lot (to very little effect) and they were very dangerous on the counter. In all honesty, they should have scored 2-0, 3-0 on the night - as we were both poor in the attacking third and vulnerable to the counter. Flanno, Coady and Morgan were nothing special. Pacheco seemed very frustrated (and he was frustrating himself), but did set-up Hendo at the death for a great chance that he skied.

Our MOTM was Suso (by a mile) followed maybe by Downing (though very defensive). Cole was fairly sub-par (but not totally crap), Shelvey was very average and Hendo was simply awful on the night

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
No worries Hope. YB have really bailed us out, but as it stands we're in a good position.

There is a difference between what you are suggesting and sending youngsters on a 1000+ mile journey when you know that the next game is at home against a team we have already beaten. It isn't even the last game. Worst case scenario, we make a mistake against YBB and have to take the first team to Italy, which is still a much shorter and easier trip.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Sorry but i've lost patience with hendo. I know he's young but i just dont see the potential to improve to a player of the quality we need. in fact i think he's barely average.
Jonjo had to drop back to pick up the ball off the CB's to try and get the ball moving forward coz hendo just cant find the space or position to recieve the ball and move it on in a usefull manner. Jonjo is no where near the finished artical but he can still pull the strings and effect a game. Huge potential.
Suso is becoming everything i hoped he would be. Gonna be amazing and already stood out as the best player on the field for the short time he was on.
No over reaction here, time on the field for Morgan, Flanno, Coady, jonjo, Suso, Andrea, Coates.

tellingithowitis

Not the end of the world

F"£$£"$ awful to watch though.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!

PS: Joe Cole? AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG DARTH VADER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Coady and Henderson made Samuel Eto'o, one of the best players in Europe not long ago, playing in attacking midfield, look like a nobody.
Not totally related to us, but did anyone else find it really sad to watch arguably the best finisher of his generation try to be Xavi? I don't understand it at all, obviously it must be working for them if they are top of the league, but especially seeing how poor Traore was up front it confused the hell out of me.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
No, you should say; "you're" but I can be a liitle picky like that.

EDIT I guess I should have been picky enough to notice the quotation marks lol :p

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Far too many games have resulted with us not winning and far too often we have to look at ourselves rather than say the opposition deserved it. We simply arent doing enough on the pitch in terms of driving on and scoring goals.
Well, yeah, but we know that already don't we? We have one fit senior striker, and after Suarez we're dipping into the reserves.

It shouldn't be a surprise that we're struggling up top.