• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Not the end of the world

F"£$£"$ awful to watch though.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!

PS: Joe Cole? AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG DARTH VADER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No caps lock please, and some constructive contribution, rather than a primal internet scream, would be welcome!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not totally related to us, but did anyone else find it really sad to watch arguably the best finisher of his generation try to be Xavi? I don't understand it at all, obviously it must be working for them if they are top of the league, but especially seeing how poor Traore was up front it confused the hell out of me.
As much as Henderson is taking a pasting on here for failing to make anything of the chances that came his way in an attacking sense, and as much as Coady flew under the radar a bit, the weakness of their attack through the centre is directly thanks to those two players defensive reading of the ball, pressing, closing down avenues, the whole shebang. There is a reason all their attacks came down the sides or over the top. Think Anzhi were expecting to be able to use Eto'os talent and experience to take advantage of our young centre and get up to support Traore.

honduran_red

I think we should start getting used to these results, we have no squad whatsoever. Our starting 11 is good, but it won't get us to 4th place. And concerning Chelsea, I think the objective is to not get thrashed. A tie or a 1 or 2 goal loss will be good. I know I´m a pessimist but it's all we can fight for at the moment.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Edit: I couldn't see anything from this match. How did we cope? What was the formation? Something like the 5-3-1-1 suggested by Sozio? Cole was apparently awful, but how was Downing? And the youngsters? Coady, Flanagan, Morgan? Did Pacheco play?
Sozio's formation was spot on. We were surprizingly decent although the result was fair. They scored with the last kick of the half. Jones pulled off a brilliant save from E'to( i think) after Wisdom got horribly caught out near the half way line. In the second half Traore missed two sitters that he really should have buried so a narrow defeat was a fair reflection. Coady did his best but seems a bit limited and out of his depth. Henderson was his usual unimpressive self, contributing little, he had a great chance in the first half, just the keeper to beat and he pulled the ball back instead, displaying his usual lack of confidence and shirking responsibility and also had a good chance second half which he blasted horribly high like an Adam penalty. Carra was excellent, Coates was naive and too easily beaten for the goal, but otherwise decent as was Wisdom. Morgan offered little but had one decent effort that went narrowly wide, Pacheco and Suso came on together, Suso was his usual fantastic self on the ball but no end product but definately the best player on the pitch, he is gonna be one heck of a player in the future. Shelvey started well but faded and got a yellow for his customary reckless lunge, Downing was his usual self, put in a decent cross, Cole offered little, Flanagan got naively caught in possession and offered nothing going forward.

Roll on the January reinforcements

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
As much as Henderson is taking a pasting on here for failing to make anything of the chances that came his way in an attacking sense, and as much as Coady flew under the radar a bit, the weakness of their attack through the centre is directly thanks to those two players defensive reading of the ball, pressing, closing down avenues, the whole shebang.
Ok, but Morgan slid Hendo clear through on goal after 22 minutes. It's a 50-50 at most, but ... just take the shot. Instead he squares it back to maybe avoid responsibility (only to find 3 Anzhi defenders). That was a clear chance.

Second-half (very late-on), Pacheco sets him up for the equalizer and he blazes wide. That was a really good chance too i.e 10 yard out, unmarked and coming onto the ball. Got to get that one on target.

As to a defensive shield, Hendo was poor there too. Once Coady went off, they had 3~4 chances to score the second. Before that, they had other chances too. Hendo just didn't cut it on the night, neither in attack nor in defense

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If Suso can add goals he will be a scary level of talent. The way he can create passes to team mates that just don't even look possible yet always seem to reach their man.... Wow!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Bit of huff and puff but mediocrity rules OK

Players were rested for the weekend which is fair enough but wouldn't be counting on us getting much joy then either

Because, basically, we suck. The only redeeming lights are the young players doing as much as they can to shield the embarrassment of the senior boys disillusionment, decline or disinterest, and Suarez staying fit and thus far unsuspended

That's it really. Rest is looking like the type of locked in mediocrity you come to dread as a supporter and starting to suspect Rodgers is powerless to stop it unless he is able to buy in quite a bit more quality. An not that hopeful, am not sure the club hierarchy live on the same planet or really care/dare to risk much. Will see in January whether this lack of ambition is as deep rooted as am thinking it might be

Can't believe the club allowed a squad as bad as this to be allowed to operate for this club across 4 fronts this year. It's just not fit for purpose and neither are some of our administrators. There is zero definable progress except for kids getting match experience. Playing in a rubbish Liverpool team. Perhaps the worst in 50 years

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Ok, but Morgan slid Hendo clear through on goal after 22 minutes. It's a 50-50 at most, but ... just take the shot. Instead he squares it back to maybe avoid responsibility (only to find 3 Anzhi defenders). That was a clear chance.

Second-half (very late-on), Pacheco sets him up for the equalizer and he blazes wide. That was a really good chance too i.e 10 yard out, unmarked and coming onto the ball. Got to get that one on target.

As to a defensive shield, Hendo was poor there too. Once Coady went off, they had 3~4 chances to score the second. Before that, they had other chances too. Hendo just didn't cut it on the night, neither in attack nor in defense
Accurate assessment, he did himself no favours,thought Hendo was really poor tonight. A player clearly lacking confidence, can see him being shipped out unless he really ups his game. The fact the Brendan was trying to offload him to Fulham as part of the Dempsey deal has only dented the little confidence he had.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
The quality of the squad before we even got on the plane was going to struggle tonight.
Massive over arrogance that "We'll just beat Young Boys at home and take a point away to Udinese"

Not happy at the apparent lack of concern over this fixture and its possible future implications.

Just hope we get the points we need in the remaining group games, this lethargic attitude is not what I want to be seeing.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
our reserve/youth team went to russia in a european game and got beat 1-0 by one of the richest clubs in the world....................FFS just get over it and move on. i went to amsterdam in 1967 and watched us get battered 5-1 by an unknown ajax team.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Considering the team, I actually think we did quite well. Rodgers effectively threw in the towel before we started, hoping to simply contain the opposition with our reserve squad. For the large part, they held their own.

As much as I like to compete on all fronts, It was the right decision by Rodgers as our league simply is more important. Pride was hurt and our chances were reduced for qualifying to the next round, but crucially destiny remains in our own hands.

We need to pick and choose our battles, quite simply the risk of Suarez, Gerrard etc playing was too great. Besides long term arguments of burn out and injuries, short term Chelsea could be one of our most important games of the season. Lose we are probably 9 points behind Everton,Spurs etc a negative snow ball effect could happen like Arsenal last year. Win and we are still in touching distance. Mentality, confidence and expectations are all better, given our weak start could conceivably provide the catalyst to our season.

A bad night as it illustrated how weak our squad is, but the managers job depends on the league and his decision is totally understandable

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

All due respect, you are one of my favourite posters, but have to disagree on the defensive side.

Hendo did his "day job" quite well, all their chances went round or over him they couldn't attack through the middle due to him and Coady an thats where Anzhi's most dangerous player was set up to take advantage of our most inexperienced (Hiddink ain't soft).

Agree on attacking first chance should of smashed it at keeper an who knows what could of happened with lose balls an rebounds with Morgan an Shelvey steaming into area.

Second shot was a chance too and mucked it up completely.

But all these people having a go at Henderson for his lack of contribution up top.... do they also have a go at Allen and Lucas for it?

Instead of comparing how useless Henderson was in attack compared to Shelvey and Gerrard and the likes why not compare him to the holding midfielders like he is?

Just because he managed to help get involved in a couple of attacks doesnt mean he should be rated based on his attacking contribution or lack of in my view.

Just seems a bit of a harsh way to be looking at him.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
quite right mate we have got another russian team on sunday with 3 league pointa at stake. as shanks said the league is our bread and butter.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The quality of the squad before we even got on the plane was going to struggle tonight.
Massive over arrogance that "We'll just beat Young Boys at home and take a point away to Udinese"

Not happy at the apparent lack of concern over this fixture and its possible future implications.

Just hope we get the points we need in the remaining group games, this lethargic attitude is not what I want to be seeing.
Don't say that Dane. Get with the program. We must celebrate we only lost 1-0.

That's the sentiment in here today.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

Thing is, we haven't got the squad at the current time to field a strong experienced side. Hopefully something that will be rectified in the next two windows.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Thing is, we haven't got the squad at the current time to field a strong experienced side. Hopefully something that will be rectified in the next two windows.
I know we cant play the top players every game.
But that squad had no quality experienced options even on the bench.
When we boarded the plane, it was no different to waving a white flag.

And it needn't have been that way,Anzhi were fucking awful in the first half, yet we still went in one down at half time.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The only thing we lacked with that performance was a goal or two. We had plenty control of the match and limited a very dangerous team to one goal in their (kind of) ground where they have been incredibly impressive this year. We all know the striking situation so why are people surprised we struggled against one of the top performing defensive teams in Europe? We had to use our 4th choice striker then replace him with our fifth against a team that have only conceded twice in 10 Europa league games and people are surprised/frustrated we didnt score?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

And it needn't have been that way,Anzhi were fucking awful in the first half, yet we still went in one down at half time.
I suppose this is the pain Brendan has been talking about cos he knows we are painfully short of experienced quality players. Lets just hope he gets proper backing from FSG in the next two windows and he choses the correct signings so we're not in this position for long.

Besides, i thought we did extremely well considering the amount of kids out there. What was the alternative? Can't think of one.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
Don't say that Dane. Get with the program. We must celebrate we only lost 1-0.

That's the sentiment in here today.
when did you start supporting the club? was it when we were the best in the world? have you only ever watched a successful team? the 1-0 defeat in russia with a team full of kids was a great result, by any stretch of the imagination. after all we have chelski on sunday and for me at the present time 3 league points are far far more important than a cup tie....................

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I didn't see the game but I've read some press reports and interestingly they're more positive about our performance than most of the comments on here. We were fielding a reserve team, so did anyone really expect us to win? With a 19 yr old with zero experience leading the line?

The match was undoubtedly good experience for the younger players and gave BR another opportunity to weigh up who stays and who goes, and I've no doubt that we'll still qualify for the knockout stage.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Hendo did his "day job" quite well, all their chances went round or over him they couldn't attack through the middle due to him and Coady an thats where Anzhi's most dangerous player was set up to take advantage of our most inexperienced (Hiddink ain't soft).
Hendo was poor on the night. I also looked at his defensive stuff, not just attacking.
He was poor there too though. After Coady went off, he was all over the place.
Not his best night, and not hopeful for his future at the club. Hendo was very sub-par all-round (and he was the senior midfielder qua age). I like him personally, but by far his worst shift this season.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
when did you start supporting the club? was it when we were the best in the world? have you only ever watched a successful team? the 1-0 defeat in russia with a team full of kids was a great result, by any stretch of the imagination. after all we have chelski on sunday and for me at the present time 3 league points are far far more important than a cup tie....................
Speechless

basil1492

TIA Squad Member

Out of interest which of our top players would you have taken? I mean, a lot of people think Allen, Sterling, Stevie, Suarez and Sahin needed a rest for Chelsea so which one would you have taken and risked being tired or injured for our next game? This is a genuine question btw, not having a go or anything.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Speechless
In all fairness mate when our senior side struggled to get an unconvincing 1 nil win over them at Anfield I was seeing people saying we would get spanked on the away leg, well we didnt, if we had a decent attacker we probably would of scored a goal or two and come away with 1 or 3 points. That doesn't make it a bad performance.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
why does the truth hurt that much? we should have been battered with the side we put out but FFS give some credit to the youngsters for their performance!!
Sorry, in my eyes a loss is not really a "great result".

There may have been positives to take away from the match, but "great result"...That's a little over the top on the description.