• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
depends on the circumstances, a 1-0 loss with that team was a great result, it could easily have been a slaughter.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
depends on the circumstances, a 1-0 loss with that team was a great result, it could easily have been a slaughter.
Zero points. Slaughter or no slaughter, Great is not the adjective I would have chosen to describe the result of today's match.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Positives: We can still get out of the group... Even after that.

Negatives: What in the flying **** was that?

Having to put out a team like this in Europe has to signal the owners that we need more investment in January. If we don't buy in January, everyone on this forum deserves to be blood boiling livid.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
sometimes lad you have to take a step backwards to move forwards...........................when i saw the team i really thought they would hammer us, but credit where it's due the young lads played well enough to restrict them to 1-0

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Out of interest which of our top players would you have taken? I mean, a lot of people think Allen, Sterling, Stevie, Suarez and Sahin needed a rest for Chelsea so which one would you have taken and risked being tired or injured for our next game? This is a genuine question btw, not having a go or anything.
My problem is that we didn't even take any of them there, to even sit on the bench.
Anzhi were awful first half but went in one up.
Because we had no quality back up scoring threats, we were never going to claw it back.

We've possibly thrown away the EL for the sake of resting players for a game we'll probably lose.

NZred

The Red From NZ
a fascinating thought process.

we are currently about 12th spot, theres no REAL ambition/hope that 4th will be obtained, why would you say that 5th or 6th place in the league is more important than a european competition.

we had the same debate last season....4th place was more important than the carling cup, now a 5th or 6th place finish is more important than a european trophy?

or have i read you wrong?
A little bit. lol. my fault more than yours for a lack of detail in the post. Was rushing for work.

I still think we can get 4th, especially if by some miracle we bring a top quality GOAL SCORER to play alongside Suarez. We have everything else there, just need a finisher.

I don't think we have the squad to be competing across 3 competitions.The Europa League FOR ME, is just another arena for our important players to pick up an injury, which we really cannot afford, especially to Suarez or Allan, or even Sterling or Gerrard.

I think the FA Cup and 4th place (which we can still get) should be our focus. Or even making the FA Cup our focus and just looking to get a solid top half finish.

But hey, that's just my thoughts and possibly my blind optimism about how we can go in the league.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
My problem is that we didn't even take any of them there, to even sit on the bench.
Because we had no quality back up scoring threats, we were never going to claw it back.

We've possibly thrown away the EL for the sake of resting players for a game we'll probably lose.
Last game there were loads of people complaining that we brought Stevie and Suarez on at half time saying we should have rested them though. It's not a short trip to Russia either so they would still have been tired if they were on the bench. We have a good chance of getting through the group and the last point of yours is the main one i have a problem with. If BR thinks anything like you (that we will probably lose anyway) then why bother turning up. Are you saying you'd have used the 1st team today and just thrown the kids into Chelsea assuming we're going to lose anyway? That's what he's being accused of doing this game by some on here btw and now you seem to be saying it would have been ok but he chose the wrong game to throw.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Win the next home match against Young boys and we should still go through.
Doubt the Chelsea match on Sunday has an impact on this EL Group. We go for it (EL) at home and pick-and-choose players away from home.

Odds on to struggle against Chelsea anyway, with Hazard, Oscar and Mata, but would rather a fully-fit starting XI there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

We have no quality back up scoring threats full stop mate, except Suarez and Gerrard if you consider him we took everything we could. Yesil pulled out due to a tweak Ngoo couldnt sort a visa problem in time and Borini is injured. Shelvey and Morgan started and Pacheco came off the bench. As a goal or two was our only short coming I fail to see what the solution was.

loyalred

TIA Youth Team
why didnt' Henderson shoot in the 1st half instead of playing to a defender. This passing malarky is all well and good if there is forward movement and a vision or desire to finish, otherwise its like keepy uppy.

loyalred

TIA Youth Team
What about Joe Coles 'last' touch....Torres wudda taken that round the keeper and tapped it in.....

loyalred

TIA Youth Team
Tho i suppose if we still had Torres he wudda been rested for the Chelsea game, and tbh we do need to climb the league.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Don't know that I would regard that loss as a "great" result. I suppose I'm old enough to believe that trying to win every game is what we were about--hang on don't know that that is true anymore.

Not particularly fussed about EL unless it is used as a showcase to show the world how wonderful Cole is, and in that it probably failed dismally.

We should still go through but YB will have their tails up now and will not be visiting for a midweek break.We will need to be a lot better than that.

Disappointed, but not surprised I suppose sums up my feeling about this, I just hope that I'm not getting easier to please, or maybe it's part of a conditioning process.

lancashirelad

Sorry I have to say this....having read all the negativity in today blogs on various sites..

You can't honestly understand even the basics of LFC squad size and football and be surprised that we didn't win today.
I mean look at the line up. You really think they could be a team that includes Eto, Samba and Zhirkov? Anzhi are no mugs. They are second in the Russian Premier League, having lost only twice (one less than CSKA Moscow who is only 1 point ahead of them) out of 14 games with a GD of +13. I think Rodgers went into this game knowing that we would probably lose and hence the line up.

Maybe sneaking a draw would have been a great result today, but a return trip to Russia (the western shore of the Caspian Sea to be precise) and to be back up for a weekend game against Chelsea means some sacrifices had to be made.

I really believe that a lot of our so called squad players need a good kick in the pants and if they don't respond by January then they (Hendo and Cole particularly) should be gone. I would rather see a bunch of our young starlets sitting on the bench than some of those average players that we made too much money for. Henderson said before the game that he wanted to fight his way back in to first team contention, was that starting with the next game? Or the game after that? Or???

More of the young guys should be given a chance. I mean look at the way Sterling (in particular), Suso (he is something special) and Wisdom have stepped up when given the chance. Pacheco should be given more of a chance. All in all, what happened in Anzhi certainly did not surprise me.

We are still second in our group and have a home game against Young Boys to come so we should get through.

Onto Chelsea and Howard Webb! errr....... OK on to Wigan after a full weeks rest!

lfc55555

TIA First Team
All in all, what happened in Anzhi certainly did not surprise me.
isnt that the problem these days. our expectations have dropped so low under our changes this season that lose or draw no ones bothered.

im not fussed that we lost today. i wasnt fussed that we lost in the carling cup. however does than mean that i think things are fine, nothing to worry about, or that actually fans just arent that bothered anymore.

its not about this game in isolation. our opinions this season are to the point of small team mentality now. this is how fans of small clubs must feel when they have no expectations, all the time.

were being conditioned to be indifferent now.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time

You would risk losing 1-2 first team players either for the short term or for the season whilst we sit in the bottom half of the table as we head into November to win a match that will have very little significance because we are very unlikely to win the trophy anyways?

I think the manager got it right and made the right call leaving the players he did behind. And credit the kids who played...they only lost 1-0 but played their hearts out in a european tie against a side that hasn't lost at home and has the highest paid player in the world on their books.

We are certainly not doomed in the EL..we have opportunities to progress. But we needed some rational thinking ahead of the match against Chelsea and we got it.

On another day, this tie could have finished 0-0.

why didnt' Henderson shoot in the 1st half instead of playing to a defender. This passing malarky is all well and good if there is forward movement and a vision or desire to finish, otherwise its like keepy uppy.
Don't ask us...we weren't on the pitch.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
0-0 would have been a surprisingly good result, which overall we deserved. Anzhi had a number of chances but failed to take them, and we had a few chances too - Henderson(2), Suso's shot and Cole's follow up, Adams effort and maybe a tame header in first half.
Brad played well again and made some cracking saves, some say he should have stayed on his line longer for the goal - but I'm not one of them(being an ex-keeper these are the split second decisions you have to make).
Coates does come across a tad dozy at times - and that moustache doesn't help! Shame about the goal. I was glad it wasn't Carra as some on hear would have been delighted, and used it to once again pour scorn upon him.
Other points - yippee my Sopcast worked the whole game! The officials outfits were garish! Were second and can still qualify. No argument with BR's team selection as we play Chelsea on Sunday and our major players should be rested, he has no choice due to the frailty of the squad.
Finally cheer up - we'll be smiling after the final whistle on Sunday! Mr Webb will award Luis Suarez a penalty and we'll win 2-0. Happy days!
Pessimism is soooo overated!

NURSE.......NURSE...................I need my meds!!!

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
The result I expected given the squad that travelled, not gonna have a whine because I knew this was gonna happen when I read the article about Rodgers swinging the changes during the week.

Who honestly thought we where going to Russia to play Anzhi off the park when we where playing our reserve team more or less?

And if you did you seriously need to adjust your expectations.

For mine BR used the squad as best he could, he gave opportunities to the young and fringe players and they didn't get the job done, all this talk of not showing up etc is just kneejerking.

FreakLFC

Times like these players need to sit back and contemplate on their performance. People learn from their mistakes and I am sure they have identified them.
Next time they play Anzhi, they will know what to expect. You have to also look at players like Coady, Flanno, Suso, Morgan, Assaidi, Wisdom (tired): these players hardly travel and when they do, obviously they going to feel completely out of place. That reflected the score line.

Patience.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Pretty sure that when Xavi gets the ball that close to the net, Barca doesn't mind if he has a pop...

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Henderson's non shot attempt highlighted his extreme lack of confidence right now. It's a shame, he's not a 20 mp player but he's no chump on his day. He could have a future at this club but he needs to show his best, he's got much much better in him.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Times like these players need to sit back and contemplate on their performance. People learn from their mistakes and I am sure they have identified them.
Next time they play Anzhi, they will know what to expect. You have to also look at players like Coady, Flanno, Suso, Morgan, Assaidi, Wisdom (tired): these players hardly travel and when they do, obviously they going to feel completely out of place. That reflected the score line.

Patience.
No pleasing you. Apparently.

If we win against Young Boys next match (which I expect us to field a strong team considering it's at home) and Anzhi beat Udinese at home we are through.

lancashirelad

isnt that the problem these days. our expectations have dropped so low under our changes this season that lose or draw no ones bothered.

im not fussed that we lost today. i wasnt fussed that we lost in the carling cup. however does than mean that i think things are fine, nothing to worry about, or that actually fans just arent that bothered anymore.

its not about this game in isolation. our opinions this season are to the point of small team mentality now. this is how fans of small clubs must feel when they have no expectations, all the time.

were being conditioned to be indifferent now.
Its a good point, no-one can say where we'd be if we'd shelled out that extra 2M for Dempsey, or got a couple of loan players in January having supported LFC for 45 years, I know what the good times look like but we need to be patient, (I know I know, we've head that for some years now) however unlike many fans I'm giving this guy time, he needs a good squad with depth, he does't have either just now!
YNWA

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
i disagree a wee bit and have little sympathy for the squad and its depth as it stands, to me, thats---not irrelevant--- but not as significant as people make out.

sure, suarez and gerrard dont have to play.....or travel...

but thats different completely to what was sent out.

the thing is, is this squad really...i mean really that bad.....rafa won the euro cup with milan fucking baros as his striker, and traore as his left back.

to me, we are being conditioned here, almost conned.

cant get fourth...cant progress in the league cup...plan to strategically lose in europe...

suarez is one of the best strikers in the game today, the centre backs are a great match, sahin....gerrard....allen....

surely this squad isnt as bad as aiming for nothing but getting good at passing...which is my other bug bear....'learning the system tm '

as if these guys dont know how to pass a fucking ball 5 yards.

i dont think im overreacting to a loss in russia, but im reacting to a complete and utter apathy to not even planning to try and win certain games.

funnily eough...losing to chelsea will have no bearing on our season...losing to anzi just might....

conditioned.

thats the kindest i can be right now.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

So you're saying we shouldn't have been defeatist last night, because we'll probably get beat by Chelsea?

Fuck me, Mate. Is it any wonder I get annoyed with some of the criticism lately?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
to be fair mascott, you do wind yourself up a bit, your not even trying to see Danes point.

for the record, suarez and gerrard didnt have to travel in my opinion, but i can appreciate people who said they perhaps should have.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
i disagree a wee bit and have little sympathy for the squad and its depth as it stands, to me, thats---not irrelevant--- but not as significant as people make out.

sure, suarez and gerrard dont have to play.....or travel...

but thats different completely to what was sent out.

the thing is, is this squad really...i mean really that bad.....rafa won the euro cup with milan fucking baros as his striker, and traore as his left back.

to me, we are being conditioned here, almost conned.

cant get fourth...cant progress in the league cup...plan to strategically lose in europe...

suarez is one of the best strikers in the game today, the centre backs are a great match, sahin....gerrard....allen....

surely this squad isnt as bad as aiming for nothing but getting good at passing...which is my other bug bear....'learning the system tm '

as if these guys dont know how to pass a fucking ball 5 yards.

i dont think im overreacting to a loss in russia, but im reacting to a complete and utter apathy to not even planning to try and win certain games.

funnily eough...losing to chelsea will have no bearing on our season...losing to anzi just might....

conditioned.

thats the kindest i can be right now.
How were we throwing away the game and competition?

How were we strategically bowing out in Europe?

We lost one nil to a VERY good Russian side who we made look rubbish!

They scored one goal with the only thing their striker did right all game and it was a high over the top counter attacking goal.

We came close to scoring a couple ourselves despite the problems we are having up top.

And as for strategically bowing out we stand a very good chance of progressing from the group even after losing last night so that is a ridiculous thing to say.

Rodgers nearly got the game plan spot on if we weren't having to use an 18 year old striker who only made his debut this season we may of got the result.

Anzhi are a good side doing well why not actually do what all the pundits are doing and give credit to how well our kids did against a newly formed power house and how our performance didnt merit a loss?

Pundits are being more supportive of Liverpool than our "supporters" and that is perhaps the most shocking thing!

Sorry for the rant guys!

haakeye

Banned Users
So you're saying we shouldn't have been defeatist last night, because we'll probably get beat by Chelsea?

Fuck me, Mate. Is it any wonder I get annoyed with some of the criticism lately?
hes prob right i mean i do hope we can get something wev won there b4 blah blah guna be tough this time and you Know it deep down