• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST-MATCH: Anzhi Makhachkala 1-0 Liverpool Reserves

aftershock

first time poster and just trying to get an idea of what other liverpool supporters feel of my view on the team...

as liverpool, we should be much better, but as our reserve team, i thought we did quite well. here are my view on players.

brad jones - great saves. i've always felt he doesn't have the distribution abilties that reina has but so jonee's been on much better form than reina on shot-blocking

carragher - very good game. thought he was much better on the ball as well. usually i felt when he gets the ball, his refusal to drive up the field when he has space to move slows down our play.

wisdom - made some mistakes holding on the ball too long, but was good relative his experience

coates - sloppy. expect him to be much better

flanagan - did very well. maybe limited going forward?

downing - see a lot of posters saying he was shit. my response: was enrique better than him last weekend? he defended well, and even though his crosses were shitty, he did get them off. sure not 20m pounds but he seemed capable in that position

henderson - feel like this kid can only run. he does do that well. he gets into space and makes great runs into the box, but hell, he cant do anythign with the ball. feel like he needs to go on loan..

coady - did his job as dm well. didnt really notice much else

shelvey - i love this kid. looks hungry for goal, is good on the ball, and not scared (like henderson). his tackling is going to get him into trouble.

cole - get him off the team. improved since i last saw him but he still offer nothing on both sides of the ball. very, very bad considering how "experienced" he is.

morgan - didn't notice mcuh, but he didn't get much service.

suso - this kid is amazing. for someone that young, he led the team once he came on.

assaidi - expected something more. doesn't look bad, but just isn't first team material right now either

pacheco - now i know why he doesnt get playing time..

let me know what are your opinions are on my views of this game

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
NONE of our teams have any goals in them unless Suarez is playing. Unfortunately playing him every game is asking for trouble. I still think Cole and maybe Downing are getting games to show off their talents and try and get some money for them in January. I think we're all pinning our hopes on a good transfer window, hopefully FSG realise you can't run a football team with such a thin squad and having 2 recognised strikers (Borini and Suarez, don't count Yesil yet) is just asking for trouble.
I don't honestly think they give a monkey's as long as they don't have to spend any more cash - that's how disillusioned I feel about them.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
My issue is this. People complain about no squad depth and over using youngsters. Then they complain that Carrol, Dirk, Maxi, Adam, etc would've blocked young players routes to the first team. You can't use both, they're contradictory.

I won't get into the Dirk debate, obviously many of us have different understandings of the situation (which is fine). But I think jettisoning a large chunk of our squad was quite stupid, even if they were on high wages. Would you rather play high wages for a little longer and have a competitive squad or be in our current situation. I don't buy the blame the owners bs because Rodgers is head strong enough to not have taken this job if we'd be selling selling selling only.

Also, letting Carroll go in the way we did was just plain dumb. I'm sorry, to an extent you've got to play with the cards your dealt, because again, I think that's partially how we got here.

lancashirelad

isnt that the problem these days. our expectations have dropped so low under our changes this season that lose or draw no ones bothered.

im not fussed that we lost today. i wasnt fussed that we lost in the carling cup. however does than mean that i think things are fine, nothing to worry about, or that actually fans just arent that bothered anymore.

its not about this game in isolation. our opinions this season are to the point of small team mentality now. this is how fans of small clubs must feel when they have no expectations, all the time.

were being conditioned to be indifferent now.

I wasn't getting used to anything my friend, with the appointment of Brendan Rodgers I decided to give Rodgers a decent chance to prove himself. So far it's been hard going watching LFC's progress in the premiership and the rather abject surrender in the League Cup. It's been just as difficult listening to Rodgers greet every defeat or disappointing draw with praise for the players' performance when everyone else can see that they should have won the game. I also object to his strange style of player management, particularly his rotation/resting policy and his tendency to openly criticize certain players.​

But still, I can only batten down the hatches and see how it plays out over the whole season. On the plus side, I like that Rodgers is giving some of our bright young talent a chance to shine, which many of them have taken in some style in contrast to other more experienced players who just aren't performing even after countless chances to prove themselves.​

So that's my position as a fan of 45 years: as painful as things are right now, I'm prepared to hold out and see.​

Being happy with what we have today well, that would just be blind faith and implies that we should be happy to see Liverpool plod along regardless rather than open our eyes to the things that are wrong.​

On the other hand, I don’t think I should blind myself to the positives or even hope that Liverpool crash so that Rodgers gets the sack. That would be disloyal and destructive as well.​

Isn't it a matter of balance? Can't we support our beloved team through thick and thin and always hope for the best while at the same time asking questions where and when they arise? That's not accepting mediocrity I think.​

That's love for our team and our club and the ongoing hope that we’ll be better next game, next month, next transfer window, or next season.​

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I don't honestly think they give a monkey's as long as they don't have to spend any more cash - that's how disillusioned I feel about them.
I don't know if i'm honest. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now and wait till January, i think they will buy someone if for no other reason than to keep the fans happy. I'm not saying we'll like who they will buy, not expecting too much to be spent on one player so Cavani etc are a no go imho but a bargain buy such as Llorente or Huntelaar is possible with them being low on their contracts. I think the worst thing they can do now is just bring back Andy and leave it at that or buy some unknown but i get the feeling 1 of the people i mentioned above will come in quite early.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Also, letting Carroll go in the way we did was just plain dumb. I'm sorry, to an extent you've got to play with the cards your dealt, because again, I think that's partially how we got here.
We could sure use all the goals he's scoring with West Ham.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
Strange, how so many people are coming to the dark side over Henderson, as if yesterdays lackluster performance was anything new. I guess all the people that told me I was wrong last year didn't come back after the site crashed.
Well, we have to draw the line somewhere.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
bit of reflection from an auld arse, people pick up on rodgers praising players even in defeat, as i have said elsewhere we had another manager who used to do that. 1969 we got an absolute smacking at anfield by the mancs, it was 4-1 and could and should have been more, best ran us ragged all afternoon, after the game shanks was interviewed on the radio and his match summary was that his team were on the wrong end of some bad decisions and should have won the game. he singled out tommy smith and said that tommy never let best into the game. if this forum was around then christ almighty knows what reaction there would have been. the moral in the story is that no matter how bad the team plays a good manager will never ever publicly admit that his team were poor, as it can destroy a players confidence especially when they are youngsters. i remember roy evans publicly slating bjorn torre kvarme after danny cadermarteri did him for pace at the shite hole, and the lads confidence just drained from him after that.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
said it all along we should have gone for fletcher from wolves. another john aldridge, never going to be a great player but knows where the back of the net is.

as a side note got an email from my mate hernan in buenos aries, he was saying that they had the game on live in the river plate supporters club and he thought some of our young kids performed well in the circumstances, made me laugh though when he said that he led the bar in a rendition of "scouser tommy" in spansih as taught to him by yours truly

costared

TIA Reserve Team
When I saw the line team for last nights game I was very disappointed but I did not expect the way he set them up and the change in tactics.Sadly the result was not quite achieved but the youngsters did well against difficult opposition. Our only real problem was the one we get almost every game no matter what line up we put out, lack of goals.
Agree Hendo should have taken the responsbility and shot instead of passing.Had he shot and scored I think the tone of the posts on here would be very different. Yes he does seem short on confidence but he was not that bad last night and although not having an outstanding game all season he has not had a nightmare either.
It was good to see Flanno back in action and the CB's looked sound most of the time.Even Downing had one of his better games although I still remain unimpressed.
Connor Coady made a sound debut and Jonjo was obviously our man of the match, covered miles,won tackles and passed well.
Adam Morgan showed up well at times and will improve for the experience and Joe Cole had one of his better games but 90k a week? Please move on Joe.
Suso certainly had a positive effect for us and is a very talented young man.The less physical style and slower pace of the European game suits him and certainly suited the team we had out.Just that same old problem no goals.
I think we need to be more positive in and around the opposition box, maybe we are taking the passing game a bit to far.
Yes we do need a clinical striker but I think the players we have could do better with a more positive approach.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
my only criticism is that i think robinson is a far far better player than flannagan.................

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Or we could use somebody than will score goals for us on the regular experienced or not. I'll let you pick.
You really think that Morgan and Yesil are currently more effective than Andy Carroll. He's not my first pick but he put in some very impressive performances at the end of last year. Vs players who've scored at the reserve and U-19 level. Furthermore in a game like last night, Andy would've been perfect (hold up play/provide an outlet) as opposed to someone with zero experience. So yeah I know who I'd choose.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
if we accept the propositions:

A. Suarez cannot play in every game, 2 games a week.

and

B. Suarez has scored or created 80% of our goals this season

and consider that 100% of our attack has been inadequate this season, exactly which senior players were worth using in a game where we were playing with best-case 20% of our offensive firepower?

Throwing otherwise useful resources after a lost cause you have already chosen to starve of the critical resource is ass-covering weak management in any walk of life.

PS. Baros as first striker, Traore as centre back? European champions? Absurd, you are a WUM. Wait...damn, that did happen, didn't it?
We want champions league football.Suarez can't play twice a week? Then whats the point of qualifying for it. We need our best player for it. Suarez would play 8 games a week , its just his attitude.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
You really think that Morgan and Yesil are currently more effective than Andy Carroll. He's not my first pick but he put in some very impressive performances at the end of last year. Vs players who've scored at the reserve and U-19 level. Furthermore in a game like last night, Andy would've been perfect (hold up play/provide an outlet) as opposed to someone with zero experience. So yeah I know who I'd choose.
Eventho I don't think Carroll suits in well with rest of the team or have a future for us, I must admit that he would be a better fit than both Morgan and yesil, whom may have the potential to become better but as of now isn't even near the required level for the first team.

Borini's injury has really caused a headacre for Rodgers. I'm sure he will go all out for a new striker come jan. I'm almost certain he won't recall Carroll.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Where did I say I think Yesil and Morgan are currently more effective than Andy Carroll? I thought I said we can use a player who will score goals for us on the regular which is why I don't get the repetitive crying over a player we sent out on loan who has scored all of zero goals playing with far more consistent playing time, in a system that is far more useful to his personal playing style. Atleast Yesil and Morgan have a future going forward at this club compared to Carroll and we don't have to change one way of playing in league games to another way playing in Europa.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Where did I say I think Yesil and Morgan are currently more effective than Andy Carroll? I thought I said we can use a player who will score goals for us on the regular which is why I don't get the repetitive crying over a player we sent out on loan who has scored all of zero goals playing with far more consistent playing time, in a system that is far more useful to his personal playing style. Atleast Yesil and Morgan have a future going forward at this club compared to Carroll and we don't have to change one way of playing in league games to another way playing in Europa.
Honestly I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Look my point is this. We both know we're gunna get fucked on any deal involving Andy. I just think Brendan was in too big a rush to throw him out the door to make a point about players fitting into his system. None of our deals were contingent on selling/loaning Carroll, so why not either wait to sell him until we actually had another 1st team striker? We'd probably be in the same boat we are now if we waited until January or even next summer to dump him off.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Honestly I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Look my point is this. We both know we're gunna get fucked on any deal involving Andy. I just think Brendan was in too big a rush to throw him out the door to make a point about players fitting into his system. None of our deals were contingent on selling/loaning Carroll, so why not either wait to sell him until we actually had another 1st team striker? We'd probably be in the same boat we are now if we waited until January or even next summer to dump him off.
Ya, we could of kept him, but looking at it without bias it wouldn't really change much. When Rodgers isn't going to play the first team it's not like playing Caroll or Morgan or Yesil is going to be the difference of us getting out of the group, much less about winning or losing the competition altogether.

And as far as the first team, it's not like Suarez isn't doing the job in the only postion Andy would play. So we should probably start looking at the real problem and that is a wide forward or somebody like Tevez who could play anywhere in the top 3 that can bring in goals on the regular. Playing one way and then playing one different way to suit Caroll or trying to jam Caroll into your system isn't going to do a first year manager trying to implement a new system any favors. In theory, the best place for Caroll to show would be where he is. It looks like they are going to stay up in spite of him, although I guess he's been OK just not scoring. Again, wouldn't solve our problem.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We want champions league football.Suarez can't play twice a week? Then whats the point of qualifying for it. We need our best player for it. Suarez would play 8 games a week , its just his attitude.
I dunno, frivolous stuff like massive amounts of money, prestige, glory?

No team with real intent in the CL assumes their best striker can play every game for the whole season....because it is a moronic denial of a basic fact. Suarez would play 8 games a week, but not well. His mentality in particular suffers with fatigue, he would end up manufacturing his own 8 game break or the like.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Didn't want Rodgers to start a strong team for this as it's too much travel with a big league game coming up this weekend. I think we played for a draw and that's why we played the formation that we did. If it wasn't for a moment of brilliance from Traore and a positional mistake from Brad Jones, we would have got the point we came for. It was frustrating not creating anything up front but that's what happens when you play your reserve and fringe first team players.

I still think it was the right decision, regardless of the result and regardless of the result this weekend.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

No team with real intent in the CL assumes their best striker can play every game for the whole season....because it is a moronic denial of a basic fact. Suarez would play 8 games a week, but not well. His mentality in particular suffers with fatigue, he would end up manufacturing his own 8 game break or the like.
Rafa would frequently rest players in the easier games. Even when we got to the knockouts, the aim would always be to get the job done in the first match to rest the big boys for the second.

sameold

TIA Youth Team

One word answer to this one - Messi

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
Rafa would frequently rest players in the easier games. Even when we got to the knockouts, the aim would always be to get the job done in the first match to rest the big boys for the second.
and look how well he did in European competitions.Rafa is a fine example to follow.
Allow Suarez to destroy Anzhi , and we wouldn't be worried about the final two games. Almost certainly through.

The reason Barca lost to Chelsea was predictability , same reason they lost to Celtic. Teams know how to beat them now. Messi and Ronaldo score 60+ goals a season.