POST MATCH: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 3/11/18 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 89 60.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Fabinho

• Milner [GOAL 61’]

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Wijnaldum

• Mane

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Salah [off 90 + 4’]

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Firmino [off 80’]

• Shaqiri [on 80’]

• Matip [on 90 + 4’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phil smith

Give @jaffod some credit, there were definitely one or two "poor" refereeing decisions yesterday.

Mane's goal
Mihkytarian's (spelling) pull back on Robertson and
Xhaka's (I think it was) blatant body check on Mane when he was away.

They certainly frustrated me yesterday but Klopp ignoring it post games is pretty admirable from him. Others wouldn't.

But I dont think there's an agenda, just a really poor standard of officiating. There are other far more questionable things to discuss in football other than the referee's.

Agree with you completely. I usually watch four or five games on the TV of a weekend and the standard of the officials is abysmal. Not sure if VAR would be an improvement but would definitely like to see it trialled for a season. It's a tough job I know but some of the decisions they make really are terrible.

I watched Arsenal's goal again, several times, and IMO it was a little flukey. Two Arsenal players were in the right place at the right time on the through ball from Iwobi and it caused some confusion for Gomez. TAA for some dumb, inexplicable reason was standing at the top of the box waving his arm in the air and watching like a spectator instead of reacting and helping Gomez.

EDIT: and immediately after Arsenal's goal, Shaq powered down the right side and found Mane for a beautiful chance that an Arsenal player luckily got a tip to.
Really?
Why wasn't Iwobi closed down?
If that had been done we wouldn't be talking about this. (Btw even Klopp commented on this).

Wilkored08

We all know what we need to...after today's games, we need to start winning by 3 and 4 goals again..against lower clubs, we need to be more ruthless and run riot and against top 5/6 clubs we need scrappy 1: 0 wins...Cmon boys you know you can do it.

Neukolln

Really?
Why wasn't Iwobi closed down?
If that had been done we wouldn't be talking about this. (Btw even Klopp commented on this).
Well sure, that's the million dollar question. I meant, once that ball left Iwobi's foot.

EDIT: maybe Iwobi was TAA's responsibility. I am allowing certain recent events off the pitch to really cloud my current judgment of TAA so I will respectfully decline to say anything at all about him.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Give @jaffod some credit, there were definitely one or two "poor" refereeing decisions yesterday.

Mane's goal
Mihkytarian's (spelling) pull back on Robertson and
Xhaka's (I think it was) blatant body check on Mane when he was away.

They certainly frustrated me yesterday but Klopp ignoring it post games is pretty admirable from him. Others wouldn't.

But I dont think there's an agenda, just a really poor standard of officiating. There are other far more questionable things to discuss in football other than the referee's.
The Mane offside was very hard to spot in real time. Fabinho could have easily had a second yellow so it evens itself out. I like Jaffod’s posts but have no time for conspiracy and corruption claims about refs. We get some decisions we don’t get others. Watch enough football and you realise that this is how it pans out. Teams that play fast attaching football like we do seem to not be given penalties or miss out to dodgy offsides but that’s because we create more situations for refs to get right/wrong. Defensive teams create fewer situations for the refs to make these decisions so it seems they get less wrong. It’s simple statistics and probabilities or at least it seems that way to me.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
That is what I am trying to highlight. We are winning with mediocre performances, which I am glad of, and we have had massive progress in terms of results and defense, but we need to acknowledge our negatives and pitfalls, and play better after more than a quarter of the league has finished.

I’m not interested in any of that. That is for Klopp to address and I have every confidence that he will. We are a totally different animal to what we were even as recently as last season. We’re evolving tactically and in terms of personnel. Just let the man do his job instead of micro-analysing everything and arriving at meaningless conclusions.

Klopp is working on this every single day. He is as close to the action as it gets. He is the one setting the agenda. Its his project. I just don’t get how or why posters think they know better than Klopp. If they’ve spotted something and its real and relevant he will already be on to it. Nobody on here understands what is going on or needs to be done better than Klopp himself. Nobody!

Commando

I’m not interested in any of that. That is for Klopp to address and I have every confidence that he will. We are a totally different animal to what we were even as recently as last season. We’re evolving tactically and in terms of personnel. Just let the man do his job instead of micro-analysing everything and arriving at meaningless conclusions.

Klopp is working on this every single day. He is as close to the action as it gets. He is the one setting the agenda. Its his project. I just don’t get how or why posters think they know better than Klopp. If they’ve spotted something and its real and relevant he will already be on to it. Nobody on here understands what is going on or needs to be done better than Klopp himself. Nobody!
That's why I rarely post anything more in the pre match thread than "let's beat these". I have no idea about who is best to do what in each game. Jurgen is with the players all week and can see how ready they are for each game. In an ideal world we'd all love to see us score a hat full and keep clean sheets. But this is the real world, each team we play want to stop us achieving those aims. I too, am more than happy for Jurgen to do what he is doing. He's shown over his three seasons (so far) that he is more than capable.

jaffod

Since the start of the premier league we have had 80 penalties awarded in our favour. In the same period man united have had 78. Do you think the refs are biased both against us and man united ?

Don't know why you are going back 26 years, I've never claimed it goes back that long. But it's been fucking stark for the last 4 or 5 and has reached ridiculous levels the last 18 months or so. What was it, 12 points lost last season? Any other year that's the difference between 4th and actually winning the title.
If you can't see how we're being routinely fucked over, especially at Anfield, then you're not watching hard enough. 2 pens in last 37 prem games at home? Doesn't add up.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then maybe it is a duck.

Zico Nealy

The commentator called this a 3-3 masquerading as a 1-1, and I can’t disagree. I’m proud of the lads though as it’s not often we have played such a determined and inspired Gooner team at the Library and come away with a slight disappointment at not turning them over. That said, surely even without him getting on the pitch, this game proved once and for all just what Hendo brings to the party. He was sorely missed. The targeting of our kid right back shows me something too -pretty much what a crap idea it was to shelve the old Central League. Trent is gonna be a star, but the mistakes he is prone too are about learning his position and the prem is a tough place to learn on the job. Maybe he needs one on one advice from the likes of Phil Neal, who was a master attacker himself but could defend with the best. Love Mo but he could and should be able to help TAA more on the right. I’m happy but I think Klopp could’ve worried that Arse defence more by giv8ng Sturridge a run at them from the off. Anyway, Red Star awaits. Gonna be a tough gig. Win there and we really are having a great season so far. YNWA

Zico Nealy

Don't know why you are going back 26 years, I've never claimed it goes back that long. But it's been fucking stark for the last 4 or 5 and has reached ridiculous levels the last 18 months or so. What was it, 12 points lost last season? Any other year that's the difference between 4th and actually winning the title.
If you can't see how we're being routinely fucked over, especially at Anfield, then you're not watching hard enough. 2 pens in last 37 prem games at home? Doesn't add up.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then maybe it is a duck.
See your point but I think recently, especially last season or so, our attackers have been nimble, clever and quick. Defenders have had to match that or stay on their feet and pass them on rather than lunge in. Our guys are just not getting clattered in the box, they’re fast and tricky enough to avoid it and make clear chances.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

But I dont think there's an agenda, just a really poor standard of officiating. (...)
That's what I keep saying when jaffod packs out his theories. There is no sinister agenda against us, but it's indisputable that a large majority of English refs are truly beyond hope. The sad truth is that the self-professed 'best league in the word' is refereed by guys who would quickly be taken out of their job if they dared displaying similar consistent shite in Germany's Bundesliga or France's Ligue 1.

jaffod

See your point but I think recently, especially last season or so, our attackers have been nimble, clever and quick. Defenders have had to match that or stay on their feet and pass them on rather than lunge in. Our guys are just not getting clattered in the box, they’re fast and tricky enough to avoid it and make clear chances.
You don't have to be clattered to win a penalty. There have been clear hand-balls not given, Salah being dragged down last week against Cardiff etc.

Coddite84

Too many depressives on here. We are still undefeated and are 2 points off the top team with nearly a third of the season gone. City will drop points... we just need to stay close to them. This time last season we had lost 2 games and were 12 points behind City... progress has been made. Arsenal are no mugs and despite being disapointed that we did not win a draw at the emirates the form Arsenal are in is not a failure. YNWA means just that, lets get behind the boys and believe!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It stopped being 'luck' in our case a long time ago. There's more to it than that. There's been a reluctance from many on here to see it as anything other than misfortune, 'inept' officiating that always seems to work against us, but I've seen a change in a few people as time has gone on and they're realising that it isn't going to start 'evening itself out' after all.
Take the lack of penalties awarded at Anfield. People put it down to referees refusing to be intimidated by the crowd (which is generally half asleep most games but that's another matter) but they still wont call it corruption. But that's exactly what it is, these clowns come with a pre-determined mindset that they are going to give us fuck all unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Mascot used to berate me on here for my views on it but I saw a post from him earlier on that basically endorsed everything I've been saying about the treatment we've had from these dickheads.
The problem is nobody at the club is prepared to put their head over the parapet and call them out. As you said Klopp more or less skimmed over it post-match as if it was nothing. Until the club grows a spine and stands up for itself we'll continue to get shafted.
I’ve always agreed with you that we get the shit end of the stick from referees. I’ve never felt that they even themselves out, and I don’t think it’s going to change until we make it change.

We’re we part ways is your view that it’s an organised conspiracy on behalf of the officials, premier league, FA, and everyone else.

Why I think we get shafted is that

a) We’re a soft touch. We never put on any pressure, on or off the pitch.

b) We’re possibly the best positioned club for a referee to show they won’t be biased to the big club.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I didn’t win my bottle of rum on the result yesterday

We ARE NOT playing the same system of last year. Nor do we have the same midfield as last year. We are makeshifts in the mid of the pitch and it shows, that was second string from us with Henderson and Keita out injured

We are 11 games into the league campaign with 4 goals conceded...

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
City look unstoppable. They just keep banging opposition. This city team is probably the best team in the EPL since inception.
I simply can't see them dropping points from weaker teams.
I think for us to be in contention, we would need minimum 90 points. That is the hard reality at the moment.
Under normal circumstances, this draw is a fantastic result, but on the broader spectrum, it means ,we have even less margin for error.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Milner got my vote for the goal. That's it.

Wijnaldum, with all the plaudits he had been getting, better than this, more technical than that, where was he in the second half? Relied heavily on Salah, bad sub from the manager and Alexander-Arnold defending was bad today. Our final 3rd passing needs a lot of polishing and so is our finishing. Not good enough.

Please no more of "we didn't play well, but unbeaten, marks of champions", please. By tomorrow, we might be 3rd. So let's not talk about winning the title when we keep playing this way. Wayward passing, no fluidity and lack in finishing. We didn't even defend well enough.
That's the problem with wijanldum and to be honest, he is the only one who keeps the press. Our front 3 have forgotten all about the press .
Wijanldum needs a good playmaker along side him. We get outplayed in the mid many times.
He is not a passer or a playmaker, he's the workhorse, and we have to accept that.
It's time mane gets dropped, he's been awful. Won't mind if origi is given a chance also. Apart from Salah, the other 2 have been below average. Bobby shows at times what he is capable of, but his consistency is questionable.
We need our front 3 to turn up. Else this season, we can kiss the league good bye.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Perplexed at the negativity...like Arsenal were just going to let us walk all over them. Adding in the fact that we hit the post and had a goal incorrectly disallowed and it's just one of those nights.

It's a fair result. We aren't at our best but we're still picking up points. 8-3-0 is still a brilliant start.

Lots of water to flow under the bridge. It's a marathon.
Depends on what our ambition is this season, if it's just to make it top 4, then it's a good result.
just watch city play, they are a machine, can't see them dropping points. No one is even close to their level.
They have 2 world class players in each position, they are not even missing KDB.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That's the problem with wijanldum and to be honest, he is the only one who keeps the press. Our front 3 have forgotten all about the press .
Wijanldum needs a good playmaker along side him. We get outplayed in the mid many times.
He is not a passer or a playmaker, he's the workhorse, and we have to accept that.
It's time mane gets dropped, he's been awful. Won't mind if origi is given a chance also. Apart from Salah, the other 2 have been below average. Bobby shows at times what he is capable of, but his consistency is questionable.
We need our front 3 to turn up. Else this season, we can kiss the league good bye.
I am not expecting Wijnaldum to make those passes and dribbles, but he didn’t press or know what to do when he’s up against a trickier and quicker player. In second half the game passed him by like he’s not even there. Didn’t make a notable challenge and Iwobi just strolled past him like he’s not even there after leaving Milner dead. That’s why I said taking Firmino out for Shaqiri was a mistake. It would have been much better to take Wijnaldum or Fabinho off for Shaqiri from what I saw. The two was pretty anonymous in the second half. With Firmino he would at least able to track players, something Shaqiri doesn’t do.

[email protected]

Depends on what our ambition is this season, if it's just to make it top 4, then it's a good result.
just watch city play, they are a machine, can't see them dropping points. No one is even close to their level.
They have 2 world class players in each position, they are not even missing KDB.
But they already have dropped points. Bless me, its like people expect them to win out from here. If so they will win the league so why stress anyway?

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
How many British referees were chosen for FIFA World Cup 2018 ........ ?
Not many, if any. Not many, if any...
How many Brits you know got the skills to go in and rock a show like that, uh uh, uh uh...
I don't know anybody.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
And seriously, everyone stop wheel-spinning about City when we all know it is fucking Lamela's fault.