POST MATCH: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 3/11/18 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 89 60.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Fabinho

• Milner [GOAL 61’]

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Wijnaldum

• Mane

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Salah [off 90 + 4’]

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Firmino [off 80’]

• Shaqiri [on 80’]

• Matip [on 90 + 4’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZred

The Red From NZ
But on the flipside everyone saying we would have won if:
-VVD didn't hit the crossbar
-Mane wasnt called off side when he was clearly on
-Etc etc

also completely disregard the fact that Arsenal also had a load of chances, and I'm quite certain Ozil was called offside early on When he was on. Wasn't as clear cut as the Mane one but Jesus I get sick of the cry-babies complaining about the ref costing us the game. It was one bad call. He got nearly all of the million Arsenal offsides spot on. Move on. Both teams had what seemed to be 20 chances each that werent taken so why fucking focus on the one? Is it because the chance was decided by a ref and not the angle of contact of a players striking leg/the length of stretch from the GK? Auba could have made a slightly different contact on any one of his shots and it might have been in back of the net. Firmino could have made slightly better contact with his head and it might have been in the back of the net. Neither of them got in the back of the net. Move on and stop the incessant whinging.

(In no way was that rant directed at you SBYM btw)
You'd have a point if there wasn't this amazing technology available that could correct these terrible decisions, but because the retards in charge voted against it it costs us points. So I think we have every right to bitch and moan, if not for the decision, then at least for the decision to not make available the technology that would cut out this sort of bullshit.

LFCFFC

I suppose that's a matter of perspective. I am not sure I am reading anything overly negative from anyone. I think it was such a tense and emotional match in which many didn't feel we played to our expected level given the magnitude of the match, so there is some disappointed but fair comments being posted. I just might not be reading through the same lens that you are. You're going to burn yourself out replying to every comment that you feel is sky-is-falling! **high five emoji**
Mate it's 4am here and I'm shattered!

You're right, perspective is needed all round. I can see the frustration, I missed the equalizer because I needed to stop watching to calm the nerves, mostly because I could feel it was coming. It definitely does feel like 2 dropped but at the same time it's not a terrible result in the context of the season so far, if that makes sense.

We definitely aren't putting together all elements of our game on a consistent enough basis. Today we lost the midfield battle and our front 3 didn't do enough to dig us out of it...but we got a point and there are still 81 up for grabs.

City are a huge challenge. It's disheartening knowing we're likely fighting a losing battle but while we're still in it I'm trying to keep the faith that we can stay in it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It was one bad call.
To go with all the other ‘one bad calls’ we’ve been on the end of for two-three seasons now.

I suppose they all even themselves out, right?

The refereeing towards us has been a fucking disgrace for ages now. Today Arsenal were allowed to have their arms all over our lads, and commit countless niggly little fouls.

I know it isn’t in his nature, but this is the brutal, cynical end of a competitor league and Klopp needs to fight for every marginal gain. Ferguson would not have stood for these decisions to continually go against his side. Klopp needs to make a point of this.

I remember towards the end of the 12/13 season it ‘came out’ that Brendan had had words with Riley about penalty shouts not going in our favour. Hey presto the following year we get shitloads.

You get what you ask for. We need to be pressuring referees to give us what we are due, because at the minute we’re just a bit of a soft touch.

Allisgood

Not a bad result for us today we could of come away with a win today but it was not to be still unbeaten and I think our best football is still to come I think the top teams will find it very hard to go to there and leave with points.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Couldn’t agree more Eddie. A point at Arsenal ain’t a bad result if the team you need to beat to win the league isn't a winning machine that hasn’t already beat Arsenal away.
A win was required and the team didn’t deserve to win the way they played. Will be 2pts off top after this round of results and it’s a struggle to see where City drop points.
Remember when Chelsea won it a couple of years ago? It was around this time when they leap-frogged us to go top and a loooad of fans on here went on and on about how they couldn't see Chelsea dropping any points for the remainder of the season (because I'm obsessed with you Eddie I know you were one of them lol). That crew were right about Chelsea winning it but quite wrong about them dropping points. We just had an awful jan/feb so that was completely on us. As to why we didn't challenge them.

You can argue City are a different beast to 15/16 Chelsea (i wouldn't agree though), but teams invariably drop points here and there over the course of a 38 game season. We just need to do our job and not get the yips like we tend to do at one point each season, and also try to take max points in the '6 pointers'. There's a pretty fucking good chance the season wasnt decided at 19:30 3/11/2018

NZred

The Red From NZ
You'd have a point if there wasn't this amazing technology available that could correct these terrible decisions, but because the retards in charge voted against it it costs us points. So I think we have every right to bitch and moan, if not for the decision, then at least for the decision to not make available the technology that would cut out this sort of bullshit.
and just to back up my comment, Wolves just had a beautiful goal ruled out for offside. Dude was a meter on. Another disgraceful and unacceptable wrong call.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
But on the flipside everyone saying we would have won if:
-VVD didn't hit the crossbar
-Mane wasnt called off side when he was clearly on
-Etc etc

also completely disregard the fact that Arsenal also had a load of chances, and I'm quite certain Ozil was called offside early on When he was on. Wasn't as clear cut as the Mane one but Jesus I get sick of the cry-babies complaining about the ref costing us the game. It was one bad call. He got nearly all of the million Arsenal offsides spot on. Move on. Both teams had what seemed to be 20 chances each that werent taken so why fucking focus on the one? Is it because the chance was decided by a ref and not the angle of contact of a players striking leg/the length of stretch from the GK? Auba could have made a slightly different contact on any one of his shots and it might have been in back of the net. Firmino could have made slightly better contact with his head and it might have been in the back of the net. Neither of them got in the back of the net. Move on and stop the incessant whinging.

(In no way was that rant directed at you SBYM btw)
Well you got some balls. Coming in here and posting sensible comments about the officials. Don’t you know that corrupt cheating refs backed by the LFC hating FA have been the only reason we have lost or drawn every game we didn’t win since the Premiership began.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
To go with all the other ‘one bad calls’ we’ve been on the end of for two-three seasons now.
Go ask every other fan of every other club what they think of the refs. You as a football supporter like me, and them, are extraordinarily biased. Not in the sense that you are seeing something different but that you think we are the only victim of bad calls.

I saw Harry Kane called offside when he was a metre onside against City that would probably lead to lfc supporters sending death threats to that ref's family if we were on the receiving end ( i say that in jest. I know lfc supporters are better than that. And probably better than thinking we are the only ones doing it tough with the refs ;-))

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Of course we want to win it. But we’re not going to go 100 points plus. We just need to focus on our own business get a good points haul and see where that leaves us. If we get 90 plus points it’s been a great effort and nobody should be complaining.
I am focusing on our point haul, and today, it should be a wake up call to the team to know this "didn't play well but getting points" shit won't fly if we are serious of being a contender. You may feel otherwise, but I for one thinks this is a bad point to drop. I don't mind it when we took 1 from Chelsea and City, but I am not on for what I saw today against these wankers.

Dave-D

Remember when Chelsea won it a couple of years ago? It was around this time when they leap-frogged us to go top and a loooad of fans on here went on and on about how they couldn't see Chelsea dropping any points for the remainder of the season (because I'm obsessed with you Eddie I know you were one of them lol). That crew were right about Chelsea winning it but quite wrong about them dropping points. We just had an awful jan/feb so that was completely on us. As to why we didn't challenge them.

You can argue City are a different beast to 15/16 Chelsea (i wouldn't agree though), but teams invariably drop points here and there over the course of a 38 game season. We just need to do our job and not get the yips like we tend to do at one point each season, and also try to take max points in the '6 pointers'. There's a pretty fucking good chance the season wasnt decided at 19:30 3/11/2018
City were an unstoppable object last season what’s changed from then.
They’ve added to their squad and tightened up their defense so haven't stood still squad wise and I’d put money on it Pep won’t let them have PL winners syndrome where they drop off.

They’ve taken 3pts away from the Emirates and Liverpool needed to do the same if they want to win the title. The job was get 3pts and they didn’t do it and didn’t play well.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
Didn't our club vote against it? In fact it was unanimous. Every club vetoed it...so they all have to live with the repercussions...

NZred

The Red From NZ
Didn't our club vote against it? In fact it was unanimous. Every club vetoed it...so they all have to live with the repercussions...
Shouldn't be up to them. They only have personal interests at heart, should be the FA as a "what's best for the league" decision.

Commando

I suppose they all even themselves out, right?

The refereeing towards us has been a fucking disgrace for ages now. Today Arsenal were allowed to have their arms all over our lads, and commit countless niggly little fouls.

I know it isn’t in his nature, but this is the brutal, cynical end of a competitor league and Klopp needs to fight for every marginal gain. Ferguson would not have stood for these decisions to continually go against his side. Klopp needs to make a point of this.

I remember towards the end of the 12/13 season it ‘came out’ that Brendan had had words with Riley about penalty shouts not going in our favour. Hey presto the following year we get shitloads.

You get what you ask for. We need to be pressuring referees to give us what we are due, because at the minute we’re just a bit of a soft touch.
We're too nice all round. Second half, Robbo coming out of defence and is dragged by an arsenal player. Broke free from the challenge but lost control of the ball and Arsenal threatened. Robbo got back to concede a corner. The ref should have given us a free kick. In future I think Robbo should be cuter and go down when he's hauled back.. It'd probably be a yellow for the offender.

big noyd

We were struggling to close down the passing channels in the last 10 min. Even Moreno coming on would've given some energy.
if moreno didn't have a dog's brain i'd agree with you, because i thought the same thing

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Reminds you how lucky City were to play them first game of the season. Arsenal have been pretty good ever since that point and have a tendency to start slow (which we have clearly taken advantage of in previous seasons as well). Disappointed to have conceded so late and to have a legitimate goal chalked off, but that’s going to generally be a good point for most teams.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Result-wise, it's a perfectly acceptable outcome. We keep them four points behind us in the table, and stay in the race at the top of the table. But...

Our lads didn't really play well, did they? Arsenal were good, strong, organised, but still, they looked open for an intense gegenpress and for quick counters. But every time our players had the chance to do that, especially after our goal, they opted to play possession football. And that's where they fell short every single time. Arsenal recovered the ball very effectively from our clumsy attempts to keep the ball in midfield, and contrarily to us, were able to play quick balls into our box.

For me, one main tactical error on our side stands out: Xhaka had far too much space and time to pull the strings in midfield when in possession, throughout the game. I struggled to understand why our lads let him so much time on the ball. He might be criticised by some pundits and struggle when played out of position, but when he enjoys the freedom he had today to distill his passes all over the pitch, he becomes a dangerous player for any opposition. That's why I expected our lads, especially Milner, Gini and Firmino to get right in his face and not let him one second on the ball. But for some strange reason, they let him completely free, in his preferred position. So, he became the platform for Arsenal to build their passing game on. That for me was a big flaw in our game, and we almost paid the maximum price for it.

Otherwise, we were very vulnerable on the flanks. Bellerin and Kolasinac put a lot of pressure on our full-backs, and clearly won the contest in these areas of the pitch. That opened up a lot of space, and looking at this context, Allisson, VVD and Gomez did really well to keep us in the game.

Our front three wasn't really one. It was a front two, and... Firmino, who was quite invisible today, and very disappointing. Not that Shaqiri could add anything more when he came on, so there must have been a tactical problem Klopp wasn't able to resolve.

Still, despite these flaws, we could and should have won the game if the ref had done his work properly (but who expects Andre ƒ°©∆¡[email protected] Marriner to do his job properly anyway? :rolleyes:), or if VVD had been slightly more lucky on that header which went on the post, or when he found himself one on one with the keeper. That means that drawing today isn't a great result, looking at our potential, but at the same time, very promising when looking forward.

So, heads up lads, next to follow is Red Star Belgrade. An important occasion, and a good chance to get back to winning ways. Then we'll see how it goes in the league.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
Shouldn't be up to them. They only have personal interests at heart, should be the FA as a "what's best for the league" decision.
Nothing to do with the FA. It is not their competition. The Premier League is wholly owned and run by the 20 member clubs.

Noo Noo

If we start criticising the team for not keeping Citeh’s pace, we’re going to go mad.

There is every chance that we finish the season unbeaten and break 90 points. Every chance.

And it still might not be enough. That’s fucking mental, and it speaks volumes for the willingness of the games authorities to allow the sovereign wealth fund of a country with a scandalous human rights record to waltz into our division and make a mockery of it.

And here we are. In a right fucking mood as the team sit top with the best start we’ve ever made to a Premier League season.

I’m not thinking about the title. I want 90 points. That’s the aspiration this side should be aiming for. If City get 101 again, there is fuck all anyone can do, and no-one should be going crackers because we haven’t got 102.
very good post and you're right but personally I want us to play at our best every game. I understand that is impossible but I don't think we've really clicked at any time this season yet. I keep hoping that te next game will be the one where we do. But we haven't, as yet.

We can do better, the players know it, we know it and I bet Klopp does too.

Today feels a little bit like a lost opportunity to be honest.

Last edited:

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
All said , I don't see why we should be complaining about taking a point here against a vastly improved Arsenal side. At least this should provide a little perspective. The league was never going to be a two horse race like many were predicting. There are five very good teams , one arguably outstanding , and to remain unbeaten after playing four of them , three away, already is no mean feat. It's going to be a long hard season and once we are at full strength and playing more fluently is the time to really judge our credentials.

Oh , and Virgil van Dijk was just fukin' awesome today. Best signing since Suarez.

Barry O'Connor

I am focusing on our point haul, and today, it should be a wake up call to the team to know this "didn't play well but getting points" shit won't fly if we are serious of being a contender. You may feel otherwise, but I for one thinks this is a bad point to drop. I don't mind it when we took 1 from Chelsea and City, but I am not on for what I saw today against these wankers.
Couldn't agree more. 2 points definitely dropped. Everything that Arsenal did well was because of us not doing well. They didn't pass the ball well or move into space well because they are better players than us. They did so because we failed to do our jobs. This is a decent top 6 Arsenal team. We are an excellent top 2 team. We let them play and threw away valuable points in the process

Jah_Pool

This game really pissed me off, especially the officiating. That was a blatant goal that the linesman chalked off. At this level, legitimate goals have to be counted. That alone cost us 3 points today and will hurt us in the title race with Man City. The margins being very slim with a team that put up a 100 points last ear.

Now in term of the game,. TAA was awful, I mean really crappy. Where is Clyne? I'd rather have Clyne who is defensively sound than a defender who cant defend. Another piece of crap was Fabinho, he is really slow, kept dwelling on the ball too long and whose passing was nonexistent In terms of MoM , i gave it to Milner

FGred

VVD should have scored a hat trick and Mane’s goal should have stood therefore we should have won with another 4:1 score. We never get penalties in the EPL but in the UCL we seem to get the right decisions every time. We did not play as well as we should but Arse are playing at home for gods sake but even though they had chances we had the more solid ones and the one we missed with an open goal Arrgh what is it with emeri he enjoys thwarting us.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
We're too nice all round. Second half, Robbo coming out of defence and is dragged by an arsenal player. Broke free from the challenge but lost control of the ball and Arsenal threatened. Robbo got back to concede a corner. The ref should have given us a free kick. In future I think Robbo should be cuter and go down when he's hauled back.. It'd probably be a yellow for the offender.
Too nice? Robbo was lucky to escape a yellow from his outburst lol. Do agree in hindsight he should have retarded his movement to win the free, but in truth he kept his feet and lost the ball thorough his own volition then tried to excuse his poor pass by blaming the referee for not calling the free kick. The free kick should have been paid but the foul didn't cause Robbo to lose the ball.

GermanRed

Fabinho not ready for the big games - I’ve predicted that in Pre Match.

Gomez should have started as RB - suggested that in Pre Match

Think Alisson should have moved back in his goal immediately - the equalizer would not have happend.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Not a single team would allow you to walk all over them, this isn't the Fergie era and we didn't buy the league. We have not been ourselves since the West Ham match and for us to not tear this fuckers apart at the back is beyond me. Their makeshift defence are there for the taking.

You are right, it's a marathon. The problem is, we have to chase a robot who has a constant speed and we have been dropping off ours. If we are happy to finish 4th every season, this would be seen as a tremendous result for not playing well. But if we want to beat City this is a bad result because we didn't play well!
this is the fixtures this robot has played so far this season....

Arsenal away win 2-0
Huddersfield home win 6-1
Wolves away draw 1-1
Newcastle home win 2-1
Fulham home win 2-0
Cardiff away win 5-0
brighton home win 2-0
Liverpool away draw 0-0
burnley home win 5-0
Spurs away win 1-0

Its hardly surprising that they look so rampant,
interesting though, they didn't look like run away robots in the Champs league at home to lyon,
when they got beat 2-1.

So they are beatable, they just have to play the other teams that will give them a real game

also, I know City beat arsenal in the 1st game of the season,
but if Man city were to play arsenal next week at the emirates maybe it would end in a different score line
to that at the start of the season, what with the new manager been a bit more settled into life in the EPL,
and his team been more settles with his tactics.

For me, I am happy away with a point away to Arsenal who have there tails up at the mo,

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Now in term of the game,. TAA was awful, I mean really crappy. Where is Clyne? I'd rather have Clyne who is defensively sound than a defender who cant defend. Another piece of crap was Fabinho, he is really slow, kept dwelling on the ball too long and whose passing was nonexistent In terms of MoM , i gave it to Milner
No question TAA and Fab were poor tonight. I recall supporters calling for TAA to be dropped mid way through last season and look how he finished. Can we not give a 19/20yo and a guy who's started two games a bit of leniency?

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Its a bit entitled to suggest you can go to a resurgent Arsenal and take all the points.

Still a long way to go. De Bruyne out for another 6 weeks...........who knows, we might even buy a striker in January.

Fair result today, for how we turned out. Its still a concern, for me, how we have dipped in attacking prowess.