• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 3/11/18 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 89 60.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Fabinho

• Milner [GOAL 61’]

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Wijnaldum

• Mane

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Salah [off 90 + 4’]

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Firmino [off 80’]

• Shaqiri [on 80’]

• Matip [on 90 + 4’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
We are still struggling to find balance between attacking effectively and defending well. I am delighted that we can defend resolutely but the lack of cohesion upfront is not fun to watch and feels like goals could dry up any moment.

I struggle to see why we weren't playing the high press today. Yes we need to save legs for the end of the season but sometimes the fixture is tailor made for gegenpress and that was today.
I don’t think this style suits our attack.
I get we had to tighten up but I think it’s the middle that cause the problem.
We hoped Keita would come in and hit ground running and he hasn’t. Fabinho I’m a bit worried about - early days but he seems way off pace.
We miss Ox and he haven’t replaced Phil. In games like today you can see why Fekir was needed. I said in summer in the middle we were still one top class addition short. When Fekir wasn’t signed I really thought someone else would be brought in.
Arsenal are shite defensively yet were barley tested today.
Alisson has been solid but today looked all over the place. He got lucky a few times today and his distribution was poor today. Still, lll take 1 poor/average game from a keeper every 11 games.

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Kind of a nervy, disappointing point at the end of that.

We have Fulham at home next week whilst city play united. I’m sure I’ll be happier next Sunday.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Think Alisson should have moved back in his goal immediately - the equalizer would not have happend.
If the groundsman hadn't watered Anfield the morning of 27th April 2014 there's a reasonable chance we would have a PL title. Hindsight comments are useless.

Dave-D

this is the fixtures this robot has played so far this season....

Arsenal away win 2-0
Huddersfield home win 6-1
Wolves away draw 1-1
Newcastle home win 2-1
Fulham home win 2-0
Cardiff away win 5-0
brighton home win 2-0
Liverpool away draw 0-0
burnley home win 5-0
Spurs away win 1-0

Its hardly surprising that they look so rampant,
interesting though, they didn't look like run away robots in the Champs league at home to lyon,
when they got beat 2-1.

So they are beatable, they just have to play the other teams that will give them a real game
Lyon weren’t scared of them and have some very good players, every team outside the top ten are scared and don’t want relegated so can’t afford to be rolled over and significantly dent their goal difference. Their mentality is significantly different to that of Lyons.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
When the dust settles this will be a good point. The only reason it doesn't seem so great now is that we were leading and City are so relentless. I am not buying this 'Arsenal are shit' stuff. Good team and been playing some excellent stuff for weeks now. I was worried about this one. Yes, they give you a chance and we had chances. Goal wrongly ruled out but, again, the final ball was just not good enough tonight.

Arsenal caused us more problems than any team this season, even City, but I think that was largely due to 2 very poor individual performances. The way they targeted TAA was almost cruel. I am certain that if Lovren had been fit Gomez would have moved out to RB. I hope TAA goes on to have a long LFC career but he is suffering from a crisis of confidence at the moment and can't really be risked against opposition who can move the ball around so well. Also Fabinho showed why JK has not trusted him in any of the big games so far. Didn't press, didn't show for the ball, too easily caught in position. I have high hopes for him long term but he really struggled tonight. The midfield generally was terrible. First time this season we have been consistently opened up so easily.

Gomez, VVD and Robertson were great and it's just as well they were. Could easily have lost this one.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
If the groundsman hadn't watered Anfield the morning of 27th April 2014 there's a reasonable chance we would have a PL title. Hindsight comments are useless.

Sorry but stupid comment. By the time Lacazette made his turn / had the ball back in full control there were enough defenders around him. Alisson had enough time to recover but he decided to chase the attacker. Wrong decision.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Its a bit entitled to suggest you can go to a resurgent Arsenal and take all the points.

Still a long way to go. De Bruyne out for another 6 weeks...........who knows, we might even buy a striker in January.

Fair result today, for how we turned out. Its still a concern, for me, how we have dipped in attacking prowess.
I thought our attack was pretty good tonight Not the obscenely clean touches and finishing we saw last year but we got the ball to Salah and Mane quite well. Teams are just heavily pressuring Salah nowadays. The second he got the ball near the box tonight, he had a mob of 2 to 3 instantly on him. The only way was to move it quick to him on the wings and let him run in space which worked well throughout the game.

Our midfield and both FB's were properly butchered tonight though. Theyll learn from it I'm sure.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
When the dust settles this will be a good point. The only reason it doesn't seem so great now is that we were leading and City are so relentless. I am not buying this 'Arsenal are shit' stuff. Good team and been playing some excellent stuff for weeks now. I was worried about this one. Yes, they give you a chance and we had chances. Goal wrongly ruled out but, again, the final ball was just not good enough tonight.

Arsenal caused us more problems than any team this season, even City, but I think that was largely due to 2 very poor individual performances. The way they targeted TAA was almost cruel. I am certain that if Lovren had been fit Gomez would have moved out to RB. I hope TAA goes on to have a long LFC career but he is suffering from a crisis of confidence at the moment and can't really be risked against opposition who can move the ball around so well. Also Fabinho showed why JK has not trusted him in any of the big games so far. Didn't press, didn't show for the ball, too easily caught in position. I have high hopes for him long term but he really struggled tonight. The midfield generally was terrible. First time this season we have been consistently opened up so easily.

Gomez, VVD and Robertson were great and it's just as well they were. Could easily have lost this one.
Great post except last sentence. Neither Robbo or Gomez had a particularly good game lol.

dockers_strike

We're too nice all round. Second half, Robbo coming out of defence and is dragged by an arsenal player. Broke free from the challenge but lost control of the ball and Arsenal threatened. Robbo got back to concede a corner. The ref should have given us a free kick. In future I think Robbo should be cuter and go down when he's hauled back.. It'd probably be a yellow for the offender.
Mariner wasnt giving a foul there whether Robbo went down or not. He'd given us nothing all night so i dont see how people think Robbo going down meant he was giving a foul.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Who are the funny (read blind) kents that voted Mane MOTM?

Flobs

FADA
Fabinho not ready for the big games - I’ve predicted that in Pre Match.

Gomez should have started as RB - suggested that in Pre Match

Think Alisson should have moved back in his goal immediately - the equalizer would not have happend.
All well and good but most of our problems today stemed from our midfield and Wijnaldum.. Watch Lacazettes goal again and see what you think.

Commando

Ad-free Member
If professional footballers wore the right boots for the right conditions we wouldn't have players on their arses so often. My lad even at the age of fourteen would go out and warm up an decide which boots to wear. Players nowadays are paid high sums to wear certain boots. FFS these players are paid well by their clubs. Do they really need a few extra quid in their pockets if it impairs their capability to perform in any way? I remember playing Chelsea at Anfield the first game of one season. I can't remember which season but Chelsea wore their white away kit for some reason. Both Chelsea goals came from Liverpool players slipping.

Limiescouse

but Jesus I get sick of the cry-babies complaining about the ref costing us the game. It was one bad call. He got nearly all of the million Arsenal offsides spot on. Move on. Both teams had what seemed to be 20 chances each that werent taken so why fucking focus on the one? Is it because the chance was decided by a ref and not the angle of contact of a players striking leg/the length of stretch from the GK?
Yes, it's a fairly fundamental difference.

It is not coulda or woulda it is shoulda.

RedLar

Why do I have to be expecting to win the league in order to be disappointed in that performance? Answer: I don't.

I was disappointed because I thought we had a better side, and we were clearly second best on that performance. I have no illusions about us winning the league, but I can (and do) compare our play with what I saw last year, and conclude that we are nowhere near that team at this moment in time. I'd personally be happy if we get a top 4 spot again and get to the CL final. I'd go as far as to say that,I think we have a better chance of the latter, than winning the league, as our side is setup to do well against European opposition, in general.

So, I don't apologize for saying we looked pretty friggin average today. If I was an Arse fan, then I reckon we were lucky to get out of there with a draw, on the basis of overall play. We are a mile off last years LFC team at present. Arsenal looked pretty decent, but they are hardly without their share of weaker players. I don't think they'd trouble City as much as they did us tonight. That's my barometer, I reckon.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Horrible result, we should have one this .

Coddite84

Mane goal should have stood and he should have done better with his chance in the 2nd half. Mo should have done better with cutback for him too. Point is not a disaster but should have been 3 points.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
It's a marker about how swiftly Emery has brought about change. It's a very good hire for Arsenal. He inherited great attacking talent, and he'll bed new defenders in soon enough.

The first half of this match reminded me of a Watford match from, I think, two years ago. Only other match in the Klopp era where we were so thoroughly outpressed all about the pitch. Even so, we tore Arsenal open with ease on several occasions and were unlucky not to be ahead at halftime. I suppose, also unjustly. I thought perhaps the linesman ruled Mane was involved in Firmino's attempt on the ball, but given the later analysis, it seems it should have been easy for Mariner to overrule. Strange for two officials to miss it.

In the second half Arsenal's press relaxed. They still had most of the ball, but did little with it, and again we had the much better chances. VVD, I mean come on; one of those should end up in the back of the net. Their goal was an unfortunate sequence finished nicely by Lacazette. Other than that, our defense was resolute, closing off most of the intricate buildups.

It's one of those days when the ball doesn't bounce your way, but by rights should have been three points.

Andy Robertson, farking ridiculous. £7M for him last year when United paid £30M for Luke shaw three years earlier than that. He was a monster. Up and back. Up and back. Milner probably even got winded watching Robertson run.

Last edited:

RedLar

I really hate the last minutes defensive subs. I really hate them.

If we want to secure a win or a draw JK subs one of the front 3 for a defender. In my opinion that is like "ok, come and attack us for the rest of the game".. I hate it!!

I really would want Arsenal to go on like headless chickens for the last 5 and kept the front 3 intact (the sub of Shaq was good in my opinion).
Yup - white towel time ... No other way to read it.

Wouldn't mind if Matip inspired masses of confidence to begin with, but he simply does not..

Danny_

Sorry but stupid comment. By the time Lacazette made his turn / had the ball back in full control there were enough defenders around him. Alisson had enough time to recover but he decided to chase the attacker. Wrong decision.
One of TAA or Gomez should have blocked the shot. I think TAA was in the best position to do it but reacted too slowly.

Danny_

To be honest, other than his goal, Milner had a very poor game today. Our midfield was over-run a lot. I don't know if that was down to the system they played or something else. We just had a very bad day. TAA, not the best game either but he is very young to be our starting RB. We definitely need to add a player or two at the FB position on both sides.

RedLar

So we've had 3 draws away to our direct rivals & beaten everyone else (including spurs). Bar an unforgivable mistake by a linesman, we should have won won this one. We have Two starting midfielders out. This was a perfect game for Henderson. We couldn't change personnel in the midfield, as we didn't have a suitable replacement. The only 'fair' point is that our front 3 aren't in sync the way they were last season (yet). The rest is HARSH!
The original LFC EDDIE post replied to is below: It does not mention Henderson. Claims Gino was at the dogs today. Cant recall him on the ball in that 2nd half. TAA was crap too. Final 3rd passing hasn't been exceptional at all, in our first 11 matches. . And people ARE saying remaining unbeaten while not playing well is the mark of champions a fair bit. Its nowhere near harsh. In fact - its spot on.

What you wrote above has little to do with the original comment. Its just explaining why all those things he said might be in fact true.

Milner got my vote for the goal. That's it.

Wijnaldum, with all the plaudits he had been getting, better than this, more technical than that, where was he in the second half? Relied heavily on Salah, bad sub from the manager and Alexander-Arnold defending was bad today. Our final 3rd passing needs a lot of polishing and so is our finishing. Not good enough.

Please no more of "we didn't play well, but unbeaten, marks of champions", please. By tomorrow, we might be 3rd. So let's not talk about winning the title when we keep playing this way. Wayward passing, no fluidity and lack in finishing. We didn't even defend well enough. {/QUOTE]

Last edited:

RedLar

All well and good but most of our problems today stemed from our midfield and Wijnaldum.. Watch Lacazettes goal again and see what you think.
Not helped by Fabhino who is potentially slower than Milner. I honestly think that 3 across the middle, against a good side, is asking for a match like we got. Overrun in the middle of the park. OK against your cardiffs I reckon. Arsenal, on the other hand, were at their leisure at times today, and not because they are particularly potent. We were simply poor. Lost count of passes that got behind TAA for chances from his wing. I reckon Fabhino is just not up to scratch from what limited I have seen,

7th Earl

Just got back from the game. Right, so what's the view here? Hard to tell amongst the chaos and intoxication. From what I did see we really weren't at the races. Props to our centre backs, felt they got very little protection today but still stood firm.

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Frustrating is the word I'd use to sum up today, in terms of the performance not being what we might have hoped for, the performance of the match officials and the manner in which we conceded the equaliser.

Before the game I probably would have taken a draw, all things considered. But can't help just feeling kind of deflated by the whole thing.

7th Earl

Frustrating is the word I'd use to sum up today, in terms of the performance not being what we might have hoped for, the performance of the match officials and the manner in which we conceded the equaliser.

Before the game I probably would have taken a draw, all things considered. But can't help just feeling kind of deflated by the whole thing.
Every time they came at us I thought they would score. Ok maybe that was my anxiety haha. I don't fare well at matches let alone watching on the box!

Glory2Anfield

MOTM was Emery, clearly he is a great tactician; he has done a great job at Arsenal in such a short time. He played many great tactics today against LFC, probably more then any other manager in the Premier league to date. He hit all LFC weak points and took advantage of all LFC weaknesses. For example,

• Emery planned All attacks on TAA side, no sense attacking VD side.
  • Emery knew TAA often over runs his position and is far to high up the field, near the corner flag and hardly ever runs diagonally at goal ( out of position) this requires poor playing midfielders like Wini to cover, but if TAA gets blocked, he passes back to Wini, who always passes it back to Gomez or the goal keeper, so why not let TAA do a fast run to the corner flag, most Corner crosses fail, no down side for Arsenal.
  • Emery knew LFC like to do the silly high press with 3 attackers and far extended midfielders so Arsenal dragged 3 LFC attackers Back to Arsenal penalty box, then passed around them, to midfield players who quickly passed it to an agile front 4 who were often offside, but maybe only a split second from scoring a goal, hence every Arsenal attack looked exstreamly dangerous due to an extended LFC midfield.
  • These tactics are exactly what Chelsea did to LFC, but Arsenal were far more skillful.
You have to admit that Arsenal played beautiful dangerous skilful football.

LFC played great, in that they held Arsenal and had many high quality accurate attacks on goal, Arsenal looked more dangerous in the moments, but LFC had far greater finishing power.

Therefore one could conclude LFC defence was great and the attackers have the finishing power. The big problem is the midfield, one of the biggest problems is Wini always playing backwards and loosing forward momentum.

Some simple improvements would make a huge difference.

First VD should be permanent captain, with his understudy Gomez, given vice captain. They are the foundation of the brilliant LFC defence. Lovern plays on easy matches.

Switching Fab to right back and playing TAA in center midfield may be a good switch. If TAA stays as right back he should run more diagonally at goal, playing a diamond with Shaq, Bobby and Salah.

LFC needs consistency between midfield and attack, the forever changing midfield, means there is no quick one touch passing football between defence to midfield and midfield to attack. The midfield changes every game, so there is no flow to the LFC game.

The only consistent midfield playmaker is Shaq and he only plays 10 minutes per game, yet Wini plays 90 minutes passing the ball backwards. Shaq needs to be part of a right side diamond attack.

When Shaq is on the field, somebody needs to pass to him. The first thing a defender should do is pass to attacking midfielders; VD as the captain should lead and demand this from his defenders. Many times Shaq is in perfect position and in open space, but no one passes to him; yet Shaq is a playmaker who sets all the attackers up, he hardly ever keeps the ball to himself to look good, Shaq always passes the ball, but no one passes to him. Funny!

LFC needs to stop sending 3 attackers up to do a high press as it over extends the gap between the lines, It is pure stupidity, because the opponents have one extra man called a goal keeper, only children play monkey in the middle, not professionals.

LFC need to take throw ins a lot faster, LFC loose so many balls because LFC is all marked up by the time they take the throw in.

Some of the midfielders should be substituted far earlier to keep a high tempo and momentum. Consistently doing substitutes at 80 minutes seems crazy.

The 3 forwards need to be more based at the center line, so they a quick release attacking play going.

Last edited:

7th Earl

MOTM was Emery, clearly he is a great tactician; he has done a great job at Arsenal in such a short time. He played many great tactics today against LFC, probably more then any other manager in the Premier league to date. He hit all LFC weak points and took advantage of all LFC weaknesses. For example,

• Emery planned All attacks on TAA side, no sense attacking VD side.
  • Emery knew TAA often over runs his position and is far to high up the field, near the corner flag and hardly ever runs diagonally at goal ( out of position) this requires poor playing midfielders like Wini to cover, but if TAA gets blocked, he passes back to Wini, who always passes it back to Gomez or the goal keeper, so why not let TAA do a fast run to the corner flag, most Corner crosses fail, no down side for Arsenal.
  • Emery knew LFC like to do the silly high press with 3 attackers and far extended midfielders so Arsenal dragged 3 LFC attackers Back to Arsenal penalty box, then passed around them, to midfield players who quickly passed it to an agile front 4 who were often offside, but maybe only a split second from scoring a goal, hence every Arsenal attack looked exstreamly dangerous due to an extended LFC midfield.
  • These tactics are exactly what Chelsea did to LFC, but Arsenal were far more skillful.
You have to admit that Arsenal played beautiful dangerous skilful football.

LFC played great, in that they held Arsenal and had many high quality accurate attacks on goal, Arsenal looked more dangerous in the moments, but LFC had far greater finishing power.

Therefore one could conclude LFC defence was great and the attackers have the finishing power. The big problem is the midfield, one of the biggest problems is Wini always playing backwards and loosing forward momentum.

Some simple improvements would make a huge difference.

First VD should be permanent captain, with his understudy Gomez, given vice captain. They are the foundation of the brilliant LFC defence. Lovern plays on easy matches.

Switching Fab to right back and playing TAA in center midfield may be a good switch. If TAA stays as right back he should run more diagonally at goal, playing a diamond with Shaq, Bobby and Salah.

LFC needs consistency between midfield and attack, the forever changing midfield, means there is no quick one touch passing football between defence to midfield and midfield to attack. The midfield changes every game, so there is no flow to the LFC game.

The only consistent midfield playmaker is Shaq and he only plays 10 minutes per game, yet Wini plays 90 minutes passing the ball backwards. Shaq needs to be part of a right side diamond attack.

When Shaq is on the field, somebody needs to pass to him. The first thing a defender should do is pass to attacking midfielders; VD as the captain should lead and demand this from his defenders.

LFC needs to stop sending 3 attackers up to do a high press as it over extends the gap between the lines, It is pure stupidity, because the opponents have one extra man called a goal keeper, only children play monkey in the middle, not professionals.

LFC need to take throw ins a lot faster, LFC loose so many balls because LFC is all marked up by the time they take the throw in.
Deary me. I'm glad i'm drunk, I will assume this is parody..

RedLar

The match reminded me of many of our pre Klopp visits to the Emirates were we really never had an answer to their skill, pace, and movement. The only difference tonight was I knew we had the potential up front to at least score, and possibly nick 3 points.

In the end, not the game I wanted to see, and would rather we played better then we did.

jaffod

Clyne must be stinking the place out in training. I'd even play Milner at RB next week because whatever it is with Trent it's going to cost us. I don't think Allison did him any favours today, gave him a terrible ball in the first minute that he made a blunder from and that set the tone for the whole match.
Shaqiri needs to start next week, there is virtually no link between midfield and attack. I thought with the 3 who started today Gini might have been given licence to get forward and link play but that obviously didn't transpire and Gini slipped back into 'invisible man' mode. The game passed Fabinho by which is disappointing given how he's played the last couple of weeks.
Front 3 still not clicked, every team is all over Salah as soon as he gets the ball and Bobby has been off most of the season. Klopp needs to find a way to mix it up a bit even if it means dropping one of them because teams have worked us out to an extent and aren't over-committing in the same way they did last season. The top teams have nullified them with ease, Chelsea, City, Napoli, Arsenal today - it's a real concern.
Arsenal's manager is fucking vile. Is he in permanent pain or something? The grimacing, gurning cunt.
We've been cost 2 points today by another dickhead while all the usual suspects are benefitting from officials' 'mistakes' As usual JK has made nothing of it so I'll expect it to continue moving forward. At some point it might be an idea to hang one of these cunts out to dry but I wont be holding my breath.