POST MATCH: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (EPL 3/11/18 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 89 60.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Fabinho

• Milner [GOAL 61’]

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Wijnaldum

• Mane

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Salah [off 90 + 4’]

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Firmino [off 80’]

• Shaqiri [on 80’]

• Matip [on 90 + 4’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
The result in itself is good. Mane's goal should have stsnd, but that is probably one of the hardest calls to make, judging whether Mane wss an inch and an half behind Bobby when he went for goal.

VVD and his trusted sidekick Gomez were clearly our brst performers.
TAA was undone time and time again, I guess that is part of the learning curve.
The main problem was the midfield due of Gini and Fabinho. Fabinho is still clearly not ready, it's not that he isn't talented ot fast enough.to play at this level, but more that his reading and understanding the game at the pace of the top teams in the PL is not there yet ( emphasis on yet ). Gini was even worse, if Fabinho was at leatst making fouls, trying to get in to the game, Gini was nowhere to be found.
Milner and the front 3 didn't cover themselves in glory , but with no midfoeld it is hard to make an impact.

The thing that troubles me the worse was Klopp, When you have on the bench 2 strikers and 2 offensive minded midfielders, then you use them. Shaq had to come much earlier but instead of Gini or Fabinho , moving milner back.
Lallana with his half Kruyff turns can drive me crazy, but we needed exactly that, a player who can hold the ball at his feet for more than one second.

We were outplayed but Klopp was also out-managed ( if there is such a term ).
Very disappointing, as Arsenal were there for the taking with their back line. We simply made it easy for them. Definitely 2 points dropped.

Glory2Anfield

Deary me. I'm glad i'm drunk, I will assume this is parody..
The match was brilliant entertainment, by the end of the game, I had no nails left; and a lot less whiskey. One of the best games I saw all season.

But You need to cynically ask, is LFC playing football good enough to win the premier league and the champions league.

I would say in defence yes, but midfield no, hence the attacking power is below par, and it is due to failures in midfield. This great LFC core team may only have 4 years of good legs left, they need to win silver.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not a great day at the office,but I suppose a point is a point,but not so happy when it should have been 3.
VVD stood out for me today,my MOTM.
TAA is struggling at the minute,Fabinho not ready for the big ones it seems,unfortunately.
I am really starting to struggle with why we see Shaq,so late,so often,about 80mins here, FFS.
Midfield continues to be an issue,though we have two injured,Gini has done better than I expected this season,but no way is Fabinho ready for these games,Milner is always good for 100%,but he seems tire a bit nowadays.
Need Hendo and Kieta fit,yesterday.

Glory2Anfield

Playing Milner as right back and TAA center midfield may also work better.

VD, Gomez and TAA, May work very well together

LFC midfield need more instant forward momentum, you can not have a player like Wini always passing back. It gives to much time for the opponent to get defensive lines set up.

Look how fast Arsenal was passing to 4 front line attackers.

Chelsea was also super quick, but they only had two players breaking, again mostly on TAA side.

I watched Man City the other night, many times city had 5 attackers facing 5 defenders in the penalty box, no wonder they have a high goal point average.

LFC needs to sort out its midfield, before better managers take advantage of this weakness.

C

Caradoc

Perhaps this was simply a fair result between two very good sides neither of which were at their best and an excellent away point for us in the end?

Trouble is where’s the wriggle room for bellyaching and finger-pointing in that?

God I’m a killjoy ........ ! lol

FilthyBloke

Game sums up our season. Frustrating. Things just aren’t clicking.
Front three last season were telepathic, now they seem a little unsure of one another.
Midfield lacks balance and options at times.
Defence looks solid enough, but TAA seems to be way off form.

Yet we are still unbeaten. We have only dropped points away to Chelsea and arsenal and at home to Man City. We are top of our champions league group and for a day at least we are top of the league.

I think what’s frustrating is the fact we can be so much better. It’s almost as if we are low on confidence.
Very odd season so far.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
The match was brilliant entertainment, by the end of the game, I had no nails left; and a lot less whiskey. One of the best games I saw all season.

But You need to cynically ask, is LFC playing football good enough to win the premier league and the champions league.

I would say in defence yes, but midfield no, hence the attacking power is below par, and it is due to failures in midfield. This great LFC core team may only have 4 years of good legs left, they need to win silver.
Out of interest,
how much whiskey did you start with,
and how much do you have left? ;-)

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Still undefeated - :-)
VVD almost scored three times - we're putting together threats from a variety of players :-)
Another solid display by Gomez :-)
Milner is the toughest person in his 30s in the G20 :-)
Mane worked hard :-)
Firmino's touch to hit the crossbar for the disallowed goal was class:-)

Definitely felt like 2 points dropped :-(
I woulda thought that for all the words written about our new "pragmatism" and "maturity" that we would have held onto a lead in such an important match :-(
VVD should have put one of those chances away :-( (says armchair spectator)
Fabinho - good lord - where did that performance come from? :-(
It didn't appear that we had real leadership on the day :-(
We got outplayed in areas where I thought we would dominate :-(
Hopefully whatever was on TAA's mind will be resolved soon :-(

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Milner got my vote for the goal. That's it.

Wijnaldum, with all the plaudits he had been getting, better than this, more technical than that, where was he in the second half? Relied heavily on Salah, bad sub from the manager and Alexander-Arnold defending was bad today. Our final 3rd passing needs a lot of polishing and so is our finishing. Not good enough.

Please no more of "we didn't play well, but unbeaten, marks of champions", please. By tomorrow, we might be 3rd. So let's not talk about winning the title when we keep playing this way. Wayward passing, no fluidity and lack in finishing. We didn't even defend well enough.
Eddie says all the stuff that I'm too afraid to say cause I think it would make me unpopular (well, more unpopular than I already am)

Ron Swanson

Was a great game for the neutral, missed our chances so a draw overall is a fair result but shouldn't complain still top of the league and still not lost a league game yet.

Dutch

Extremely disappointed that we did not win this one, although Mane and Firminio did not really show up we should have won this one.

Alright Now

Still undefeated - :-)
VVD almost scored three times - we're putting together threats from a variety of players :-)
Another solid display by Gomez :-)
Milner is the toughest person in his 30s in the G20 :-)
Mane worked hard :-)
Firmino's touch to hit the crossbar for the disallowed goal was class:-)

Definitely felt like 2 points dropped :-(
I woulda thought that for all the words written about our new "pragmatism" and "maturity" that we would have held onto a lead in such an important match :-(
VVD should have put one of those chances away :-( (says armchair spectator)
Fabinho - good lord - where did that performance come from? :-(
It didn't appear that we had real leadership on the day :-(
We got outplayed in areas where I thought we would dominate :-(
Hopefully whatever was on TAA's mind will be resolved soon :-(
This is why you should never stare at the sun too long. You’ll see yellow spots.

Dane

NEXT!
The problem is, we have to chase a robot who has a constant speed and we have been dropping off ours. If we are happy to finish 4th every season, this would be seen as a tremendous result for not playing well. But if we want to beat City this is a bad result because we didn't play well!
Yep agreed.
Even though Arsenal are possibly the form team of the league, we shouldn't be dropping two points away to them.
Man City are unstoppable, we'll never see them dropping points away from home will we?

sgs

I think we are too nice. We lack the ruthlessness that is required to be PL champions. We are too nice both on and off the pitch...

Salah is being manhandled every week; not one complaint about protecting him...

A study by ESPN from last season ranked us the most unlucky team in the PL. Its not coincidence.

Listening to Klopp on the disallowed goal, u would think he was a PR man for the referees association!!!

We are simply too nice...

jaffod

I think we are too nice. We lack the ruthlessness that is required to be PL champions. We are too nice both on and off the pitch...

Salah is being manhandled every week; not one complaint about protecting him...

A study by ESPN from last season ranked us the most unlucky team in the PL. Its not coincidence.

Listening to Klopp on the disallowed goal, u would think he was a PR man for the referees association!!!

We are simply too nice...
It stopped being 'luck' in our case a long time ago. There's more to it than that. There's been a reluctance from many on here to see it as anything other than misfortune, 'inept' officiating that always seems to work against us, but I've seen a change in a few people as time has gone on and they're realising that it isn't going to start 'evening itself out' after all.
Take the lack of penalties awarded at Anfield. People put it down to referees refusing to be intimidated by the crowd (which is generally half asleep most games but that's another matter) but they still wont call it corruption. But that's exactly what it is, these clowns come with a pre-determined mindset that they are going to give us fuck all unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Mascot used to berate me on here for my views on it but I saw a post from him earlier on that basically endorsed everything I've been saying about the treatment we've had from these dickheads.
The problem is nobody at the club is prepared to put their head over the parapet and call them out. As you said Klopp more or less skimmed over it post-match as if it was nothing. Until the club grows a spine and stands up for itself we'll continue to get shafted.

Flobs

FADA
Not helped by Fabhino who is potentially slower than Milner. I honestly think that 3 across the middle, against a good side, is asking for a match like we got. Overrun in the middle of the park. OK against your cardiffs I reckon. Arsenal, on the other hand, were at their leisure at times today, and not because they are particularly potent. We were simply poor. Lost count of passes that got behind TAA for chances from his wing. I reckon Fabhino is just not up to scratch from what limited I have seen,
He wasn't playing his natural game in the 1st half. Managed a bit more in the second. He just hasn't played enough with us. I have no idea if he will improve but today it looked like he was asked to sit in front of the central defenders which isn't what we needed.
Btw that's the 3rd 'top 6' side that has played wit 2 deep lying DM's against us and got something from the match. We don't handle that well at allleaveing space all over the place where there shouldn't be. Oh! and Napoli did the same.

Flobs

FADA
When the dust settles this will be a good point.
It is a good point whether the dust settles or no.
However it does nothing for our momentum yet conversely helps/boosts Arsenals. That's just not good what ever the dust is doing. :-)

Flobs

FADA
MOTM was Emery, clearly he is a great tactician; he has done a great job at Arsenal in such a short time. He played many great tactics today against LFC, probably more then any other manager in the Premier league to date. He hit all LFC weak points and took advantage of all LFC weaknesses. For example,

• Emery planned All attacks on TAA side, no sense attacking VD side.
  • Emery knew TAA often over runs his position and is far to high up the field, near the corner flag and hardly ever runs diagonally at goal ( out of position) this requires poor playing midfielders like Wini to cover, but if TAA gets blocked, he passes back to Wini, who always passes it back to Gomez or the goal keeper, so why not let TAA do a fast run to the corner flag, most Corner crosses fail, no down side for Arsenal.
  • Emery knew LFC like to do the silly high press with 3 attackers and far extended midfielders so Arsenal dragged 3 LFC attackers Back to Arsenal penalty box, then passed around them, to midfield players who quickly passed it to an agile front 4 who were often offside, but maybe only a split second from scoring a goal, hence every Arsenal attack looked exstreamly dangerous due to an extended LFC midfield.
  • These tactics are exactly what Chelsea did to LFC, but Arsenal were far more skillful.
You have to admit that Arsenal played beautiful dangerous skilful football.

LFC played great, in that they held Arsenal and had many high quality accurate attacks on goal, Arsenal looked more dangerous in the moments, but LFC had far greater finishing power.

Therefore one could conclude LFC defence was great and the attackers have the finishing power. The big problem is the midfield, one of the biggest problems is Wini always playing backwards and loosing forward momentum.

Some simple improvements would make a huge difference.

First VD should be permanent captain, with his understudy Gomez, given vice captain. They are the foundation of the brilliant LFC defence. Lovern plays on easy matches.

Switching Fab to right back and playing TAA in center midfield may be a good switch. If TAA stays as right back he should run more diagonally at goal, playing a diamond with Shaq, Bobby and Salah.

LFC needs consistency between midfield and attack, the forever changing midfield, means there is no quick one touch passing football between defence to midfield and midfield to attack. The midfield changes every game, so there is no flow to the LFC game.

The only consistent midfield playmaker is Shaq and he only plays 10 minutes per game, yet Wini plays 90 minutes passing the ball backwards. Shaq needs to be part of a right side diamond attack.

When Shaq is on the field, somebody needs to pass to him. The first thing a defender should do is pass to attacking midfielders; VD as the captain should lead and demand this from his defenders. Many times Shaq is in perfect position and in open space, but no one passes to him; yet Shaq is a playmaker who sets all the attackers up, he hardly ever keeps the ball to himself to look good, Shaq always passes the ball, but no one passes to him. Funny!

LFC needs to stop sending 3 attackers up to do a high press as it over extends the gap between the lines, It is pure stupidity, because the opponents have one extra man called a goal keeper, only children play monkey in the middle, not professionals.

LFC need to take throw ins a lot faster, LFC loose so many balls because LFC is all marked up by the time they take the throw in.

Some of the midfielders should be substituted far earlier to keep a high tempo and momentum. Consistently doing substitutes at 80 minutes seems crazy.

The 3 forwards need to be more based at the center line, so they a quick release attacking play going.
Emery was targetting Wijnaldum. :-)

Flobs

FADA
Predictably, the thread is a disaster after a decent result.

We can do better, but it wasn't so bad.
It's disappointing not to win. I suppose you mean at least it wasn't a 0-0 bore draw.
So the positives, Milner looked good for a second. The negatives Lacazette looked good for a second. :-)

Red Ted

We need to put a few wins together now otherwise it's us waving goodbye to City disappearing over the horizon.

8-3-0, how ridiculous is it to be thinking like that?

Who gives a flying fuck that De Bruyne is injured again? They need Silva and Fernandinho and preferably some others to go down as well for it to make any difference.

sharkula

imo this is a must win game to keep up with Man C. I am baffled with the negative tactics by JK employing 3 defensive midfielders instead of Shaqiri. Arsenal defence is suspect and I would have prefer JK to go for the jugular and play the pressing game with an attacking lineup.

And Fabino had a horrible game , slow and lack of confidence, couldnt wait to pass the ball away , with back or sideway passes. He offered little resistance to the arsenal players who were splaying and threading pinpoint passes thru the middle. TAA did a bit better, however he was not helped out in the first half until milner switched to the right. It was inevitable that a goal would be conceded from the right side. Robertson at least had mane to help and was more hardworking and defended more.

Overall a lack of synergy , tactics that played right into the opponents hands and a very poor Fabino that made everyone else nervous around him. I see it as 2 points dropped than 1 point won. Might have been a better outcome had Shaqiri played, we would have created more chances and definitely would have scored more against arsenals' leaky defence

Gazmaninaus

I think when we take into account the botched of goal. The sus decisions and such we probably feel ripped off. The 3 points should be ours. However when you take into account it was Arsenal at their home. They had 60%+ possession. I think a point is a great result. Not many will get out of there with maximum points. It shows how far we’re come when we’re disappointed with a draw away to Arsenal.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
I am not usually the one that criticize the team and the manager, but watching yesterday I noted a lot of negatives.

1. The draw is probably fair outcome, we had a lot of chances but wasted them, Arsenal were a lot sharper
2. I don't know why we keep on playing long balls to Mane and Salah, they will always get bullied by the CBs. Last season, when we played quick incisive passes none really was able to stand in our way. (My take: We miss Hendo's passes, Gini isn't assertive enough)
3. As much as I like Fabinho, he can get too slow.
4. Firmino needs a time out of the team, Shaqiri in his place. Wondering why Shaqiri isn't playing regularly?
5. May be it is time to play a dedicated forward in front of the 4-2-3-1, Studgy and Origi would do a good job there.
6. TAA had the WORST game in his career, was worse than Moreno in his glorious worst.

I am not having a meltdown, neither do I see all the negatives only, but last night I was really disappointed with the points mentioned above, and I really don't see them fixed from sometime.

While we have solved most of our defensive issues, our midfield and attack has become very disjointed, and our passes are usually random and haphazard. Hope Klopp takes the right steps to fix the issues.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
I’m not saying Trent was amazing and he did make mistakes. But he did keep Aubmeyang quiet which is impressive with his recent record.

Dane

NEXT!
Played 11, won 8 and drawn 3.
The 3 draws away to Chelsea & Arsenal, and home to Man City.

If I'd have been offered those stats at the beginning of August I'd have been happy accept.

For those who demand excellence every game, with no dropped points and players on top of their game 100% of the time, I'm afraid it's going to be a long hard and tormenting season for you.

I'm happy where we are and where we're going. It brings an extra smile to my face thinking about the impossible to please section of our support are distraught and wringing their hands in front of their computers.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Played 11, won 8 and drawn 3.
The 3 draws away to Chelsea & Arsenal, and home to Man City.

If I'd have been offered those stats at the beginning of August I'd have been happy accept.

For those who demand excellence every game, with no dropped points and players on top of their game 100% of the time, I'm afraid it's going to be a long hard and tormenting season for you.

I'm happy where we are and where we're going. It makes me even happier that the impossible to please section of our support are distraught and wringing their hands in front of their computers.
Excellent record, true. Points away from City and Arsenal, in a tough schedule is fantastic. Would have took that in a heartbeat if offered before the season's start.

Issue is, we look very disjointed, and it isn't a one off game. It doesn't come easier than Cardiff, and we had to deal with being by a goal. We used to annihilate Cardiff-esque teams with minimal performance, yet now we aren't ticking. The midfield is on a different page than our front three, and no proper delivery to let them work their magic. Mane dropping to wing back position to receive the ball, and Salah regularly fighting against a hulking CB to get at the end of a repeated long ball which is reminiscent of Hughes' Stoke City.

I very happy we are grinding results with sturdy defense, but we also need our attack to step up. Not asking to be like last season, but at least we need to take our chances and play with the fluidity we know we can offer since Klopp came in.

SirBillShankly

So blessed to have Jurgen
Even though most people were predicting an easy win I would have taken a point before the game, although it's always disappointing to concede a late equaliser isn't it? Thought it was a thrilling andventertaining game to watch and that neither team deserved to lose. The ref was brilliant, let the game flow nicely and wasn't seeking to be the centre of attention

The big man AKA Virgil was the MOTM for me, thought he was excellent. I suppose it's 2 points dropped but a point away at Arsenal is ok the way they've been playing, credit to Emery, he has got them playing well and I love his passion,

Well done Redmen.

Last edited: