• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 1

LFC7NH

Should have won easily. Played Arsenal off the pitch. Should have had 3 penalties IMO.

Can't wait to see how redandwhite comes in and says how good Arsenal were. They were shit and got lucky.

Not worried about passing Arsenal in the league anymore.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
I'd actually appeal to the FA to stop us getting Webb in future games. United were allowed to do it for refs that they didn't like. Webb continues to prove he is biased against us so how does he keep reffing our games?

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Gutted...We had enough chances to win and didn't take them.

We were by far the better team.

Bodes well for the run in though I'm disappointed in the result as I feel a cup would have really given us something tangible to show for all the improvements we've made in the last 2 seasons.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Just not our day today, another day Sturridge would have grabbed a hattrick.

But no way in hell do i agree with Allen starting infront of Henderson, bad decision by Rodgers.

All down to the league now, lets do it.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Good effort. Hard to go out like that, but we had Arsenal on the ropes at home. They now have one more distraction for a squad that looks bereft of belief which can only be good for us for the rest of the year.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Poor finishing cost us, we had enough chances to win this three times over.

Great game though.

Well, time to knuckle down on the league and challenge for that top spot.

jabu

TIA New Signing
love the way we play... when was the last time the arse were outplayed like that and their fans whistling for the final whistle... we lost, im not mad, like i said earlier i want to focus on PL... but well done LFC.... well dne sterling playing winger and rightback, wow, young man wow!!!

Ssneo

TIA Youth Team
How the fuck does Webb get to officiate in WC games with a wuss performance like this? Seriously hope someone in FIFA is taking a look at this game.

jabu

TIA New Signing
lightdrizzle said:
Just not our day today, another day Sturridge would have grabbed a hattrick.

But no way in hell do i agree with Allen starting infront of Henderson, bad decision by Rodgers.

All down to the league now, lets do it.
dude henderson had surgery, not 100%

Ataturk

★★★★★
Good performance, just couldn't take our chances. Can't afford to miss that many clear cut opportunities. I thought we might collapse after the second, but we fought back well.

And obviously the penalty was as blatant as you'll see.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Disappointed to be out of the cup, but what a great performance today. Studge should have scored and we should have had a penno too when 2-1 down (Webb's a cunt). But away from home we ran that game for long periods and Arsenal basically parked the bus.

Sterling was fantastic today I felt as was Gerrard. Another solid performance from Aly. Good to see Agger back, fills me with confidence.

We lost due to a silly mistake early in the 2nd half resulting in their 2nd goal.

No point being downbeat in my opinion. Things are still going in the right direction. We were unlucky, and now we can focus on the League for the run in and see if we can get a title challenge together, and more importantly secure 4th place.

RedSeven

On the one road
SoueysTash said:
Gutted...We had enough chances to win and didn't take them.

We were by far the better team.

Bodes well for the run in though I'm disappointed in the result as I feel a cup would have really given us something tangible to show for all the improvements we've made in the last 2 seasons.
Surely winning the league instead will give us so much more :)

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
Thought we were a class act today. Could have had 3 or 4 but it was just one of those days.

Sturridge had an off day but Luis, Raheem and the Cou were also wasteful so no point in singling him out.

We only needed one more. Shame the Ref wouldn't let us win it.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
On another day (say a week ago) we'd have won that 5-2.

Proud of the boys. All of us to a man are sitting here stewing because we were clearly the better side. Away from home. At the Emirates. rewind back to our last visit there and we can all see the improvements that have been made.

Yes Webb was a dick. Yes we should have had another penalty. But really, our fate was in our own hands today. We had enough chances not just to beat them, but to bury them.

Still, at least we went down swinging. They got out of jail big time here today.

And they fucking know it.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ataturk said:
Good performance, just couldn't take our chances. Can't afford to miss that many clear cut opportunities. I thought we might collapse after the second, but we fought back well.

And obviously the penalty was as blatant as you'll see.
which 1

lfc.8

Abject refereeing. Blatant penalty not given. There's no excuses for that.

We should of at the very least drew that game. They were there for the taking. Just not good enough. Sturridge missed a few opportunities. But our squad is just average. Distinct lack in quality throughout our side.

slufsar

It always hurts a bit to lose a match, but I think the only important thing today is that we avoided supsensions or injuries. Only the league matters, the rest is a luxuary.

schmee

WrongIslander said:
Couldn't be more proud in defeat. Who was the home side, who is supposed to be a title contender?

That's another fantastic performance by us make no more mistake and only a poor ref and a bit of luck has stopped us going though.

Brilliant stuff Liverpool.
Wilst I agree that we performed very well it has to be said we're still defensively weak. How many times this year have we conceded two goals or more in away matches this year?

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
I'm sure Red and White will be gracious, he should admit that Liverpool played the better game, but Arsenal weren't bad and their keeper did quite well on a few instances. Weird game, thought we played far better and actually very well for a road match, if I were to take some positives away. Can't believe we didn't take our chances. If I were to choose, I'd take our 5-1 match over this cup any day. We'd have to go through Everton and City likely, tough task. It sucks to miss out on silverware but oh well. How that 2nd penalty wasn't called is beyond me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Exasperating losing to a thoroughly mediocre Arsenal side, but between Webb's best efforts and Sturridge's worst, left ourselves too much to do with that middle 30 minutes. Ideally, we take away some mental lessons.

tiact

sensational attacking masterclass yet again played them off the park.

arsenal and spurs cant fight it out for 4th, we should be nailed on for higher than 4th if we keep playing like this!!

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
schmee said:
I'd actually appeal to the FA to stop us getting Webb in future games. United were allowed to do it for refs that they didn't like. Webb continues to prove he is biased against us so how does he keep reffing our games?
Every time Webb refs us we end up coming away with strong evidence that he is not impartial towards us. I've said it before but for a former South Yorkshire policeman to be reffing us in light of everything we know about Hillsborough is disgraceful.

Its bad enough by itself, but even in other matches where we are not involved Webb has shown himself to be one of the weakest refs in football, time after time he gets all the big decisions wrong.

We should have had 2 pennos, Stevie should have been sent off. These are all big decisions Webb bottles every time.

Sick of it to be honest

Having said all that, Dagger should score, Daniel should score and these points should be moot. I'm proud of how we played today, I don't mind losing so long as we lose playing like that, like it means something.

You have to take your chances at this level, Luis and Daniel just not quite firing on all cylinders at the moment. Wenger made good subs when we were all over them and took some of the sting out of us for the final 10 minutes, thats good management in my view from a very experienced guy.

We move on.

jabu

TIA New Signing
lightdrizzle said:
Really, in that case why risk him at all, the league is more important.
yep, he had wrist surgery, didnt u see the protection on his hand??

schmee

slufsar said:
It always hurts a bit to lose a match, but I think the only important thing today is that we avoided supsensions or injuries. Only the league matters, the rest is a luxuary.
Fuck off.

You were the idiot calling the game meaningless before kick off.

If all your support consists off is not getting injuries and not bothering to try and win trophies then you should go and "support" another club. You're an embarrassment to actual fans.