• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 1

ShadesOfRed

1. Liverpool (C)
Disappointing result but not worried about this lot after that performance. Any other day Sturridge would have buried those chances and we wouldn't have had to be at the mercy of some dodgy refereeing. Now we have no excuses not to finish in the top 3-4 in the league as everyone ahead of us has other commitments.

NZred

The Red From NZ
EdWood said:
I'm saying that he cost us, but our uncharacteristically less than clinical finishing did also.

Look, Webb has a proven anti-LFC track record. No other referee has got so many crucial decisions 'wrong' against any other specific team.

He's simply pro-manc, anti-us. That's all there is.
I'm not disagreeing that's he's rubbish. His insanely long list of high profile fuck ups is long and to be honest, account checking worthy. But we did have enough chances to finish the game without the need of another penalty. That doesn't make it OK that he fucked up though, far from it.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I was in amongst the arsenal season ticketholders and there were quite a few rumblings during the game. Definitely nervous during the first ten minutes (when we could have/should have been 2-0 up). It was a strange game, both teams seemed to forego the midfield in an effort to keep a defensive line just beyond the 18 yard box whilst keeping a couple further up ready to counter. It presented a different challenge for us than the game last week and I thought we did exceptionally well.

Rather than attacking quickly in the 'transition phase' of quickly regaining possession in an offensive area to take advantage of the other team being out of position (in their attacking shape) as was the case last week - this week we had to look for clever through balls between the CBs/FBs as well as driving to the by-line on the flanks. We're finding more ways to skin the proverbial cat which is encouraging. I thought we did that to pretty good effect and it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of impossibility for Sturridge to have had a hat-trick, Agger to have buried his and for us to have two penalties. The two one-on-ones for Sturridge and the Agger header were particularly gilt-edged opportunities.

As for Webb it's an odd one; he seemed intent on giving a yellow for every foul and he undoubtedly made a shocking call for the Oxlade-Chamberlain challenge on Suarez (you could see that from 100 yards away) but the Arsenal fans were pretty vocal in their chats of "you don't know what you're doing" since there were several occasions where it seemed that Agger was impeding Sanogo/Podolski when Arsenal went long.

There was a curious incident when we were 2-0 down. The ball found itself in amongst the travelling kop who then refused to give it back causing a fairly long delay (don't know whether that was mentioned on tv). Kind of funny in most scenarios but when 2-0 just seemed to be totally counter-productive! The gooners around me were all telling them to keep hold of it ;)

Otherwise they (the travelling kop) were on terrific form; it really brings it home when you sit amongst the oppo - just how underwhelming it is - I'm sure if you were a neutral sitting amongst them you'd look at our lot and long to be amongst them.

Still, cracking cup-tie in which we again outplayed (for the most part) an extremely good team away from home. Sterling was my man of the match but Gerrard, Coutinho and Sturridge (despite the finishing) all had good games. Sturridge was obviously gutted not to have made the most of his chances - climbed over the hoardings at the end to personally (and on his own) give his shirt to one of the travelling fans; it looked like an act of contrition and it was well-received.

fivetimesredmen

TIA New Signing
The best way I can sum up today is by thinking about how I feel now compared to how I felt just over three months ago when we were beaten 2-0 by Arsenal. We were never in that game and looked second best to them for the entire match.
Today they were praying for the final whistle to go. We were by far the better team and looked it from the word go, Their keeper had a great game and if he hadn't it would have been another embarrassing day for them again just like last week.
I have no doubts that we will finish above them in the league this season and they will have another season without a trophy.

With regards to Webb the club should send a compilation video to the FA showing how incompetent he is as a ref. I watched the game with my lad and a mate of his from Uni who is an Arsenal fan and as soon as I saw it was Webb as ref I said to him that it will be a good thing for him and Arsenal cos the man is a biased prick. No surprise that I was right.

Any way fuck him he will always be remembered as a shithouse bottler. This game showed just were this Liverpool side are right now and I'm sure BR will drive home to the players just how good they were today and take all the positives into the rest of the campaign to win the league

Walter Sobchak

We didn't loose today because of Webb. We lost because we didn't convert chances we normally convert. We played very well against a top team, even better than Arse at their home ground, but it's football and all sorts of unpredictables, so just one of those unfortunate days.

But we were many times better than that lot. Bodes well for the remaining 12 games of the league. Hope the Brodge tries to plug those holes in our defense.
Webb; since I'm an LFC supporter, I'm biased. I personally think he's got an anti LFC agenda, but since I'm biased I can't be sure. What I am sure of is that the cunt want's to be an internationally acclaimed ref, he wants Brazil, he want's some of that magic Pierluigi Collina had, the only magic he as a ref can get (he's obviously never ever going to get any wow factor from anything else in life the talentless fuck). Therefore Webb avoids anything that can cause controversy. He'll be a wuss whenever he can get away with it. Giving a sure penalty is actually, for Webb, much more risky than not giving a sure penalty. He get's it wrong, and the latter is much much worse. Therefore he plays it safe, neglects whenever he's sure he'll get away with it. So he can get to Brazil. Integrity is not a word he's familiar with. Webb is not the man you'd like to have next to you in the trenches.

Look at the bright side of it. Football's just football. Imagine what a twat he must have been when he was a policeman?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Somebody posted something about "toy throwing" if we lost today. Not quite the meltdown anticipated but FFS its a GAME people. So many daggers being thrown around.

First world problems...our footy team lost a game.

Miklo

TIA's Cruijffonian
redandwhite3 said:
Martinez will do what Martinez does. Attack, attack, attack with a high line and both full backs camped in the opposition half. The tried this against us at Anfield and we handed them their backsides.

Your lot should have no bother doing them, and to be honest, the longer you're involved in two other cups, the better for Liverpool. I'll be shouting for Arse on Wednesday night.

thanks mate for nice comment. bayern is going be hard but we give them game over two legs and who knows . nothing to lose game and we pushed them close last year all pressure on them.

we beat everton in cup and they don,t have firepower unlike you to hurt us but if they play like they did in december their give us game but fancy us to win . still amazing we be drawn every single time at home so got good oment for the cup

this our best chance to win something in cup,. city our main threat now.

You have a very good chance of winning the cup, especially with such a strong second goalkeeper in Fabiański (he was fantastic today), although Everton and City may give you a run for your money, especially with the latter's squad depth. It'll probably boil down to whoever's better out of you or City on the day, since the other sides in the competition (bar Everton) are relatively poor.

agree and i said that all along. i think we have very powerful squad along with city and i think whoever wins if we both meet say in semi or final we will the cup. can,t see another shock winner this year

everton will give us a game but i am less worried about them then you though we can,t take them lightly as they got 1-1 draw earlier in the season.

You are a decent poster on here. A right idiot came on earlier he must be one of your weirder type of fans who want Wenger out if you do not win the PL title this season. And probably blames him because RVP left you. I mean it when i say us 2 teams have the best managers in the Country. Exciting thing is, Ours is young.
Anyway hope you lot can get through v Bayern. It will be close over the 2 legs. Whereas i think City will lose something like 7-2 on agg to Barca.
As for us, We will get at least 4th. Then compete even more for titles season after season.

anyone that wants wenger out when we stil in hunt for three triophies is a idiot. the man a total genius.

you will get 4th i am sure of that and with more experience in squad next year and better defence your be fighting on three fronts., so future promsing for you. you had no luck today and got to be honest about that. you had luck in 2001, we had luck in 2002 and 2014 cup ties., just way these things goes. but ref was helpful for us to say the least. pod should have been booked and the pen you should of had.
Your always Welcome here in my book, but one thing your wrong. We won't get 4th were getting higher ;) at least higher then you guys. Not a dig, but with the schedule and you fighting on three fronts and the from we and you guys are in, I can't see us getting below you guys.

On the math. We should have been up two with a red card for Monreal after 10 minutes. We should have scored the 2-2 or have gotten a penalty. But that doesn't count and we are to blame ourselves for not scoring. But proud of our play on an away pitch to one of the top four in the league, shows our growth and desire.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Webb simply has no spine. So many decisions (for both teams) waved away.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Shame about the result, but it was a cracking game to watch. on another day.......'if' just doesn't win a match does it! We lost and must re-group and win the next match.

No sleep lost over this loss, after all its a game of football and its main goal(pun intended) is to entertain us, and we were entertained!

As for Webb, he is 100% ineffective as a referee. apparently we've now lost the last seven matches he's refereed in!

soberphobia

redandwhite3 said:
i don,t want to get thrown of the board so i only say one thing, we were very very very lucky to win. not known us to be that lucky since the cup final in 2005. maybe it is our year

you should of had a pen . webb gave us the decisions today.

anyway please don,t ban me. it was great game and in end you can still win the league. so long way of season to go
Most people on here realise you are a decent bloke and diversity of opinion is a good thing. The shots on and off target prove that Liverpool were more dominant in attack but you weren't unlucky. We simply didn't take our chances and that is not bad luck it is bad finishing.

Webb was awful but that is the accepted norm when he referees us. He was awful for you to.

TIA is generally a friendly place but like anything coming on after a loss means emotions run high. Like guys calling slufsar a troll when he clearly isn't. No doubt he would be banned on RAWK in about a day or two for daring to have a different opinion to the accepted opinion the moderators put forth. Sometimes people have a different view and I actually like that if we all looked at things the same way the world would be dull.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
First and foremost, what a game. It was thrilling stuff.

we played very well and deserved something from the game. Sturridge let us down somewhat as his usual high standards would demand he scored one of those three gilt edge chances. A definite penalty as well would have seen us draw 2-2 but IMO Gerrard was lucky not to be sent off with a silly tackle when the player was going nowhere really. Defensive discipline is still lacking in his game at 33 but he still had a good game in that holding role and started attack after attack for us. nerves of steel again to score penalty to give us hope.

Proud of the players, disappointed in outcome. Now to give top 4 / title push everything we have. Suiarez hat trick in next game haha.

YNWA

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If you're saying Gerrard should have been sent off, then so should Podolski. He had at least 2 clear bookable offences. Monreal could have been sent off too.

Webb was just utterly shite. He was worse for us but he got loads wrong both ways.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
ILLOK said:
If you're saying Gerrard should have been sent off, then so should Podolski. He had at least 2 clear bookable offences. Monreal could have been sent off too.

Webb was just utterly shite. He was worse for us but he got loads wrong both ways.
Yeah probably.
Just trying to balance the penalty shouts. Cos that was a yellow card all day long. stupid tackle, similar to the penalty at Anfield. I don't think the refereeing cost us the game at all, so many chances.
Played very well though, very positive stuff away from home.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Yeah, he didn't give us a decision that would have given us a chance to make it 2-0, but in my opinion he gave us an incredibly soft penalty for our first. Looked to me like zero contact between Podolski and Suarez.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
DeathOrGlory said:
Yeah, he didn't give us a decision that would have given us a chance to make it 2-0, but in my opinion he gave us an incredibly soft penalty for our first. Looked to me like zero contact between Podolski and Suarez.
Defo a clip to the ankle I reckon. Minimal all the same.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
WellRedKev said:
Defo a clip to the ankle I reckon. Minimal all the same.
I never think those are penalties. Just touching a player seems enough for him to go. Rather than whinging about ref injustices I'm more pissed off at Luis for missing so many chances. Like 11-12 all over again.

yiannos33

Believe
We were by far the better team and very unlucky not to win.
We missed so many clear chances and you can't do that against any team in PL.
Disappointed by the result but let's forget about it and concentrate on the league.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Miklo said:
Your always Welcome here in my book, but one thing your wrong. We won't get 4th were getting higher ;) at least higher then you guys. Not a dig, but with the schedule and you fighting on three fronts and the from we and you guys are in, I can't see us getting below you guys.

On the math. We should have been up two with a red card for Monreal after 10 minutes. We should have scored the 2-2 or have gotten a penalty. But that doesn't count and we are to blame ourselves for not scoring. But proud of our play on an away pitch to one of the top four in the league, shows our growth and desire.
i think that might happen but i stil think whatever happens we both finish top four . chelsea for me might edge the league due to having only two competistions. for you i think top three is possible though not sure your win the league . if you get champions league football you done great

thanks for nice comments and for welcoming me on here.

you were best team to come to emirates this season in terms of team outplaying us. but your finishing was horrendous. we were not even that amazing at back and missed sagna and gibbs at fullback but you failed to punish us and we snuck a lucky win. kind of wins that win cups really i got to be honest.

you have second best attack in england but your defending still a constant issue for you. i think in summer rodgers need get three or four top defenders of champions league quality in their

you remind me of arsenal team of few years back that played best football in country but somehow failled to win games they should of won by milles due to bad finishing and sloppy mistakes at back

our win today was more like what united used to do to us when we battle it out and sneak out a lucky win. shows sign of our mautiry and more experience we can do that more often this season at home

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
yiannos33 said:
We were by far the better team and very unlucky not to win.
We missed so many clear chances and you can't do that against any team in PL.
Disappointed by the result but let's forget about it and concentrate on the league.
you have no distractions now. also rodgers has chance after international friendies to have his players for full 10 days before the united away game. your schedule could be like this

swansea (h)
souton (a)
man united (a)
cardiff (a)
sundrland (h)
spurs (h)
west ham (a)
man city (h) (dependent though on man city not making semis otherwise rearranged)
norwich (a)
chelsea (h)
palace (a)
newcastle (h)

jhr8

In the end Suarez didn't help himself with his Suarezesque roll after going to ground. I think if he had gone down naturally Webb may have given it. Still, we should have already scored 2 or 3 by that stage anyway.
Now lets concentrate on the top 4.

grooveshark

Banned Users
NZred said:
I don't think anyone is saying Webb cost us, but his shyte officiating had an impact on the game. Regardless of the out come, there is absolutely NO excuse for him making some of the decision he did. That penalty, given his position and closeness to it should lead to him getting the sack.
It was bad officiating on both teams.

Suarez deserved a penalty, but so too did Cazorla, both were so clear yet he decided not give either. Gerrard should have been gone, and Sterling was immensely lucky not to get anything not only cursing at the official but also laying hands on him.

Sturridge was as clinical as he has been most of the season, Arsenal on the other hand were.

Tactically, BR did what Mourinho did against City which was to stick with what had worked against Arsenal in the earlier tie, Wenger just like Pellegrini adjusted.

Its a loss one takes when you play well and come short, but laying a huge amount at Webb's doorstep makes no sense especially seeing he messed both teams. A red and a penalty and Arsenal still go on to win.
NZred said:
I don't think anyone is saying Webb cost us, but his shyte officiating had an impact on the game. Regardless of the out come, there is absolutely NO excuse for him making some of the decision he did. That penalty, given his position and closeness to it should lead to him getting the sack.
It was bad officiating on both teams.

Suarez deserved a penalty, but so too did Cazorla, both were so clear yet he decided not give either. Gerrard should have been gone, and Sterling was immensely lucky not to get anything not only cursing at the official but also laying hands on him.

Sturridge was as clinical as he has been most of the season, Arsenal on the other hand were.

Tactically, BR did what Mourinho did against City which was to stick with what had worked against Arsenal in the earlier tie, Wenger just like Pellegrini adjusted.

Its a loss one takes when you play well and come short, but laying a huge amount at Webb's doorstep makes no sense especially seeing he messed both teams. A red and a penalty and Arsenal still go on to win.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
104TOSH said:
Shame about the result, but it was a cracking game to watch. on another day.......'if' just doesn't win a match does it! We lost and must re-group and win the next match.

No sleep lost over this loss, after all its a game of football and its main goal(pun intended) is to entertain us, and we were entertained!

As for Webb, he is 100% ineffective as a referee. apparently we've now lost the last seven matches he's refereed in!
He tends to ref a lot of our away games against top 4 clubs, where our record isn't shit hot. Nonetheless he had a weak game. Though arsenal themselves should have had a pen as well so if he was going to have a shit performance, may as well get it wrong for both teams

On the whole though, we did play ok. But let down by a defence that routinely concedes 2 goals away from home and a subs bench where the only trusted players are Henderson and Toure which meant we felt it was better to persist with a misfiring Sturridge on one of his off days than risk bringing on someone who the manager thinks is shit (Moses, Aspas etc). Need more depth and feel there are only a certain number of occasions you can get by with full backs of limited technique stifling aspects of our play. Plenty of huff and puff but a bit short of an edge

Really hope even if we do get top 4 we don't use it as an excuse to not show any ambition in the transfer market again. In Europe we will face this problem again and we do need more players we can use to change things up

Lucas

Reminded me of the FA Cup final vs Chelsea under Kenny. Didn't really click first half, and went behind, but once we got our heads in it then we started to dominate and should have eventually won it. Good performance after a slow start, and it bodes well for our coming games. Arsenal got away with one here and I think they know it.

The less said about Webb the better...

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Unlucky.
On another day we'd have won that.
Combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing cost us.

I wasn't one of those prepared to sacrifice the FA Cup to do well in the league, we're good enough to do both.

But now that we're out,let's get our heads up and make sure we deal with Swansea.

Arsenal and Man City have very difficult midweek games which will need them to put out full strength sides.
Let's see if that has any adverse effect at the weekend and unearths any surprise results.

All we can do now is take one game at a time and see where the dream takes us.

Nice to be talking about our fellow challengers and not be mentioning the mancs, and also nice that by going out to Arsenal we've denied the mongrels a cup final.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
really gutted with the loss... but at the same time we were much better than the last time we met there.. for many moments we scared them... i wont go for the ref criticism nor with the misses by daniel...
but the fact reaction by suarez n daniel after the final whistle showed what this match meant for us... regroup and re attack...

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Gah! Forgot to set the PVR. Talk about gutted, can't even comment on the score. :(

nikz200

tough loss to take, but what it came down to more than penalties or whatever was that Dagger wasnt in top form today and really could have stopped both goals from being scored, also Daniel had a rare game in which he was just unable to score. Arsenal at the end of the day took advantage of all their chances available to them. There are only two things to be concerned with in terms of the backlash to this game. Will Sturridge be affected by today? And will Luis score soon? cause i can see it in his face, he is clearly frustrated at the moment with the lack of goals he is scoring. If we come back against Swansea in a big way then the questions will have been thoroughly answered. But it all comes down to the type of attitude we adopt at Anfield against swansea.