• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 1

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Suarez needs to play some games in the middle, he is a striker that is the best in the world but just cause he can do a job out wide and Sturridge refuses to, he is getting stuck wide. No wonder he got frustrated in the second half and shot whenever he got the ball.

Maybe Sturridge should be dropped for the next match and used off the bench? That will teach him to be more clinical, though to be fair he has been very clinical in his finishing most of the time. Still I want to see Suarez scoring again and putting him in at CF should see him firing up the scoring charts. Luis has done a good job playing as a wide forward but Daniel needs to return the favor and spend some time out wide and let the best striker in the world play as the #9.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Dropping Sturridge will teach him to be more clinical?

He's just scored in 8 consecutive games.

Pointless criticism. He had an off day, I don't see how dropping him would help Sturridge himself or the team.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
think it was just one of those games, when our finishing wasnt there and their keep had everything at him...
defense is still a worry, some relatively unknown player causing trouble for the back 2 - they just cant handle a big powerful unit...
also perplexed with jones starting this one - he is nowhere near good enough for this type of game - saying that he didnt have too much to do - but his distribution at times is very questionable - why hoof it up, when we dont have the players to win the high balls.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
MarlboroMan said:
Suarez needs to play some games in the middle, he is a striker that is the best in the world but just cause he can do a job out wide and Sturridge refuses to, he is getting stuck wide. No wonder he got frustrated in the second half and shot whenever he got the ball.

Maybe Sturridge should be dropped for the next match and used off the bench? That will teach him to be more clinical, though to be fair he has been very clinical in his finishing most of the time. Still I want to see Suarez scoring again and putting him in at CF should see him firing up the scoring charts. Luis has done a good job playing as a wide forward but Daniel needs to return the favor and spend some time out wide and let the best striker in the world play as the #9.
Unfounded criticism.

He had an off day. His high standards means he will be gutted but dropping one of our best players who's clearly on fire is madness.

Claymenza

Sturridge scored 9 goals in 8 games since his return while suarez hasn't scored in 6. I'd say there is a likelihood that Rodgers played him as a striker on merit as opposed to an attitude shift.

With that said, let's hope Rodgers knows how to solve this as its clear sturridge is not truly comfortable with both feet. Play him out wide on the left next game.

A 4-4-2 would have been counter productive against arsenal in midfield, but the benefit of having both suarez and sturridge is clear when they select their preferred angles.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
I'm rather happy with the way last night's events panned out. I can admit to being much more interested in us doing well in the league and don't mind going out.

They way I see it, we went out of another distraction, with all due respect to the FA cup, and the players will know they did enough to put 4 or 5 past Arse at the Emirates & on another day, would have won easily with better finishing and refereeing. So we can focus on the league with players focused and high in confidence without any injuries or any midweek distraction.

FA cup could be focused on another year, when we have a bigger squad with more quality, as evidenced by Arsene making 6 changes tonight. This year has to be about top 4 or whisper it, even the title.

Or maybe I listen to Mourinho too much.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Gutted we lost.
Webb should have given us two penalties.
Gerrard should have been sent off.
We missed enough good chances to win the game at a canter - Sturridge had a poor day at the office.
Joe Allen didnt do enough to force his way into the starting 11 in the league.
Jones actually did well. His distribution is still bang average but, if that is poor do what he did and hit it loooong

Red Tiger

This could be a blessing in disguise. I am not very fussed about this one. We can now concentrate 100% on our primary objective - getting into the Champions League.

I would have been very disappointed for example - if we had won the FA cup and come 5th in the league.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Sometimes the football gods/fate is against the decision to advance in the cup. Despite the loss, felt happy in the way we played and that we never gave that cup away. Controversies in the blatant penalty decisions, Howard Webb should be demoted, kudos to Suarez who seems to have cleaned up his act and falls genuinely these days - maybe that will give other referees food for thought.

We had plenty of chances to score, again it was not meant to be as we never took them and it was Arsenal who came back at us and score. But the will to win is there and if we can bring that determination and will to win in every game from now till the end, we can go very far this year.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
jimmydestiny said:
Gutted we lost.
Webb should have given us two penalties.
Gerrard should have been sent off.
We missed enough good chances to win the game at a canter - Sturridge had a poor day at the office.
Joe Allen didnt do enough to force his way into the starting 11 in the league.
Jones actually did well. His distribution is still bang average but, if that is poor do what he did and hit it loooong
What a load of BLOX. No way should Gerrard have been sent off. What club do you support.?
Webb screwed us .An Arsenal fan in the bar I was in said thank god Webb had his Arsenal shirt on tonight."
Agree we missed enough chances to have won it and Allen is a mid table mid field player, not good enough for a top 4 club

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
costared said:
What a load of BLOX. No way should Gerrard have been sent off. What club do you support.?
Webb screwed us .An Arsenal fan in the bar I was in said thank god Webb had his Arsenal shirt on tonight."
Agree we missed enough chances to have won it and Allen is a mid table mid field player, not good enough for a top 4 club
Gerrard could and maybe should have gone - 2 late challenges on another day he could have easily gone
having said that, podolski was also very lucky not to have walked - let alone being booked.

Urban Achiever

How can people keep saying Gerrard should have been send off as some kind of excuse for Arsenals victory?
Monreal could have easily seen red for his legbreaking-potential foul on Allen. Just like the Chelsea game.... where Henderson could have been seriously injured by a player not even fuckin' near to hitting the ball, once again, Webb bottled it. How that guy can be considered a top referee is a mystery to me. Hate is a hard word but that guy is edging near for me.

Podolski should have had two yellows easy.... so if Gerrard should have been send off.... so should he, the difference is just that Webb managed to let him off without giving him a card even though he'd given Gerrard and Coutinho yellows for stopping counters. Podolski didn't get one for taking out Flanno and stopping one and neither did Arteta. When they stopped counters by comitting 100% clear fouls he somehow manages to not think it's a yellow. Was Pdolski's foul on Flanno less hard than Coutinho's on Chamberlain? BS.

Listen, I'm not saying that Webb is biased towards Arsenal.... yes, he's also a lousy referee towards them and they could have had a penalty as well... even though both of ours were twice as clear... but what I am saying is, that the kind of "media-agenda" where all reports get leveled out is bullshit. For instance Graham Poll can say that Gerrard could have been send off so that Arsenal fans are satisfied with their victory... but then not mention the one or two Arsenal players who then, in that perspective should have been send off. In that kind of thinkin' there really isn't even an excuse for Arsenal, because had the referee done his job and kept that kind of line the results should have been:
Monreal - direct red
Gerrard - two yellows red
Podolski - two yellows red
Penalty - Suarez
Penalty - Suarez
Penalty - Cazorla
+ a penalty for either Agger or Sterling 'cos the fouls on them we'ren't less hard than the one on Cazorla.

So how again does that help Arsenal?

People are right that we could still have won the game fairly easily had SAS taken their chances...... but how on earth is Webb not influencing the game in a negative way for us when every time he referees us we come away WITHOUT a clear penalty (and arguably an opponent who should have been send of before the first 5 minutes are over).

Again I'm not saying he's pro Arsenal.... I'm just saying that he has a remarkably influential role to play in all LFC games he referees. Even though some make it out to be an "even disadvantage" I myself have a seriously hard time in seeing the real benefit for us in being robbed a clear penalty every time that fucker referees a game.

Rastafenian

Absolutely the worst performance of the season....

from Howard c*nthole Webb.

Time and time again he blatantly screws us over. The man is stood 3 feet from Suarez and Ox-Chamberlain and waves play on, im so livid.
Fair do's that Sturridge put the wrong boots on and could have made the refs performance invalid, but that does not excuse webbs performance.
Agger gets a double fist to the face from Fabianski and apparantly the Cop from Yorkshire has no problems with that? Deary me.

Motm was Fabianski for me. He deffo won the game for Arsenal

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Thought we were excellent despite the result, I can't recall Arsenal ever being pushed that far back at the Emirates. We had thoroughly deserved to win, it's a pity that Sturridge had a bit of an off day, and that's not mentioning the blatant foul on Suarez by Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Clive

The good performance and misfortune notwithstanding, very disappointing to be out of both cups and no Europe by mid Feb.
Still have a lot to play for in the league, but we really need to be challenging for silverware on all fronts as a club.

Would have been nice to have had someone come on late in attack, but never mind. Would be a but churlish to be upset about the effort. I guess Aspas et al are just not trusted sufficiently to get a shot. I wonder what Kono may have done?

Redragbull

MarlboroMan said:

Do you have any evidence to back up this wild statement. Rodgers stated that he prefered Sturridge central because of his pace, and with 8 goals in 9 games, vindicates his decision.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I am totally disheartened that we are out of the FA cup, I was hoping for at least a shot at some silverware for us. I grew up watching the FA cup and loved watching LFC participating in it and I feel it is just as an important national competition.

When I saw the twerp Webb named as the referee, I thought, here we go, not again but I am not going to blame him for our woes except when Suarez should have been awarded the second penalty. Also, Suarez rolling in the grass as if he has acute appendicitis doesn't help the cause either.

We were definitely the much better side in the second half but we didn't take our chances and Sturridge and Suarez were not focused enough but maybe this year it was not in our 'kismet' to advance in the Cup. There is a saying that 'If we are being rejected from something good, we are actually being redirected to something better'.

Nevertheless, we need to push ahead and concentrate on the premier league now and be totally focused, not miss any chance, every single game counts for us now and is not to be taken lightly, whether we are playing Swansea, Cardiff, Manchester City or Chelsea.

Mystryman01

Our record in 2014 still reads P10 W7 D2 L1, which is still really good, if we kept that up for the last 12 games, about 8-9 wins then we should achieve a Champions League place.

Looking at our rivals for Title/4th Place:
Chelsea- Champions League
Man City- Champions League, Fa Cup, Capital One Trophy Final ( & 2 Postponed Games they need to fit in)
Arsenal- Champions League, Fa Cup
Spurs- Europa League
Everton- Fa Cup ( & Postponed Game to fit in )

While we have just our 12 league games, showing we are still in a really good position

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I can't agree with those who believe that Webb didn't cost us.

He denied us a penalty as clear as they come. Everything else, the profligacy in front of the goal, the poor defending etc does not come into the equation. We shouldn't have to overcome both the opponent and the referee, it's as simple as that.

By the way I also disagree with the view that because he didn't send off Gerrard, he "equalised" his mistakes. He didn't fix his earlier misjudgment by not sending off Gerrard, he just made it worse. He is a shit referee who has cost us dearly again and again.

jimbo

TIA Regular
can someone start swanse pre match please,

ive been a memeber for 5 years and still cant open a thread.. im useless lol

rupzzz

TIA Regular
JimmyRoyals said:

No touchy, Raheem.
Webb's reaction is priceless - "Errr WTF".

Luckily he didn't pull his card out his pocket and silly from Raheem, but he was in the right, Webb made ANOTHER bad call at that point.

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
Boys played great for most of the game and kept a powerful side at bay aside from a few defensives lapses.

I hate Webb. I think he is a poor referee. He missed a clear PK, which was much more obvious than the one he gave. Having said that, he didn't give Stevie a red, when that tackle clearly deserved a yellow. And didn't he avoid a PK from Arsenal, when Skrtel kicked the shit out of carzola? was that not in the box? I saw it on replay, missed the live event, and couldn't tell.

Defuz

Just watched the game for the second time. Brilliant game from our lads, but 'one of those days' where we just can't buy a goal. A couple of games ago, everything hit and we crushed them. Despite the loss, I was happy with our play. Arsenal needed a great game from their keeper and a self absorbed bad ref to get the win.

Also, our guys were crushed that they lost. That's the sign of a winner; a team that believes and expects to win, not a team that's hoping to get back to the top, but one that believes they belong there and want passionately to prove it. That, I give credit to Rodgers for.

Hate the loss, but stoked for the future.

Bobbinho

Very hard to take losing like that, still feel cheated by Webb tbh, the decisions were clearly mounting up against us by the end of the first half & that **** instead of taking an objective view decides to start playing the copper on the pitch just winding us up even more, amazed that he actually gave us the first pen but for bottling it on the second one the guy needs seriously reprimanding, utter joke of a performance from him which did nothing other than to further frustrate us in what should/could have been a game which we took something away from, glad that Poll has chipped in & questioned his "questionable" decision making...

As for us i think we started with the right tactics to get at them, if Sturridge had converted any one of those 2 early chances Arse would have been all at sea, reckon we would have had them back on the racks, as it was i think we were the better side on the day, took some consolation from that, last 30 mins we jest needed to break them down, had we been outplayed i could have taken this one on the chin but to come so close & play so well is just gutting.

Positives are that we pressed well, looked very fluid at times going forward, moved the ball around well, held the middle of the park, Gerrard providing some lovely through passes again, but slight negative that Suarez continues to want for goals, could really have done with a big performance from him in fact can't remember when he's actually helped us win a big game like this.....i know the counter is going to be that he's played out of position but still.....players of that quality can & should be able to adapt, getting slightly annoying that we are having to rely on just Sturridge to continually save the day yet one or two posters saying we should perhaps drop Studge from the next game....WTF?

Coutinho going a bit quiet also even though he's being played in the centre....just not consistent enough, always seems to be when we're playing away from home that a few players seem to drop off the pace, i must say that i think we do still have issues regardless of the poor officiating we still seem to get into trouble defensively & still have one or two players letting us down re our forward line.

Big games like this are when you need your best players in form, something that we don't seem to be able to sort out, whenever we really need to push on we get let down either by errors at the back or by a few lacklustre performances up front, happily forgive Sturridge for his misses yeterday...at least he was getting into position to get shots off....& has been helping us in the EPL with his consistent scoring in games.

Think we're gonna need him more than ever for this run in as i don't see others contributing all that much on any kind of regular basis, anyway, we're out of the FA Cup, could/should still be in it, we move on, keep our heads up & hope that we can get back some winning form against Swansea., area's of concern after this fixture for me are Skrtel & Agger back together as CB's has fuck up waiting to happen written all over it & a slight lack of form from Suarez in terms of a lack of goals & Coutinho who seems to blow hot or cold regardless of where you play him.

With Gerrrard Hendo & Allen midfield im pretty confident we can hold our own in the EPL, it's just whether we can withstand carrying a few players who seem to hold us back whenever we desperately need to push on either by defensive errors or lack of fluidity/link up play re our forward line.

All in all, Arse will consider themselves a bit lucky to get off the hook with this one, Webb definitely helped them but we could have helped ourselves had we been a little more up for it....

cw37

How that guy is classed as the top ref in this Country is a complete joke. Even the poser/attention seeker Clattenberg is way better than him. Probert is about the best. Best of a very bad bunch that is. Of course he cost us yesterday, He was bad for both teams tbh. But the ones, Well what he did not give, Really costed us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Maria said:
(...)

When I saw the twerp Webb named as the referee, I thought, here we go, not again but I am not going to blame him for our woes except when Suarez should have been awarded the second penalty. Also, Suarez rolling in the grass as if he has acute appenditicis doesn't help the cause either.

(...)
Haha, that's what I thought as well. Had he tried to keep on his feet, Webb might have been more likely to whistle... No excuse though, it was a foul, and a stone-wall penalty.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Has anything come out yet from Webb? I mean, has he apologised or at least admitted it was a mistake? I've known some refs to do it but i wonder if he has the backbone to admit to a mistake or even if he thinks it was a mistake.

grooveshark

Banned Users
I think that three managers make the most of a bad refereeing day.

The first is Mourinho, the second is Moyes because very little has been going United's way, and the third is Rodgers.

You can have an interview and state your dissatisfaction, but at times I think he goes over the top or loses credibility just by how hard he goes after an official.

Having watched the game, and thought key events through, Sterling deserved a card for foolishly putting his hands on the official.

Podolski deserved one for his challenge on Flannagan, but there was a quick freekick taken and Webb had to either stop the game and give the booking or give the advantage and let it go. In hindsight, a booking might have been more beneficial seeing that the attack came to nothing. Cant blame him on that call though, he was slave to the rules.

Suarez was a stonewall penalty, its cancelled out by Skrtel's challenge on Cazorla, now add that to the fact that Gerrard should have been off, and I struggle to see why so many hereon together with BR think that the game changed on that one penalty decision.

Reality is that some days yo play well and fall short. Two mistakes at the back, one from Skrtel when he allowed Sanogo to chest the ball and shoot leading to a block before it was converted, and the second which came from Cissokho being too tight and Agger being beaten for pace were a mistake too many to overcome especially with chances being missed, chances this team has buried this season.

Webb was bad, he got a good number of decisions wrong, and on the balance, Arsenal probably were worse off. You take the positives from this game and work on areas of weakness and focus on the Swansea game.

Better opponents can punish momentary lapses and that happened, cant pin everything on the officials and not look within at what went wrong. That is exactly what I think is happening here.