• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Does anybody else think Klopp’s said “Lads, relax. Don’t get injured, play safely and we’ll go again next year. But FFS don’t get injured. Oh, and don’t get injured.”
No, I don’t. Not even a little bit. If that’s the case then why even bother starting them? Play the kids and fringe squadies.

Its sloppy. Listless football. I agree with Mascot that shit wouldn’t even be acceptable even in a preseason friendly.

Flobs

FADA
It’s not about the effort. It’s just two really, really fucking braindead mistakes. They control the game, but you can’t fucking offer gifts like that on a fucking plate.

And I don’t care if we have won the league. Van Dijk and Alisson’s fuck up would be unacceptable in a pre season friendly.
It really is about effort VVD fell asleep, Wijnaldum didn't keep any attack going after we had scored it was an atrocious lack of effort from our leaders on the pitch. Klopp has to rethink this imo Milner doesn't get many games any more which just leaves Henderson.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Emotional Brain: Fuck off. What in the flyingest fuck was that. Looked set to smash all the records but the lads have gone on holiday already.

Logical Brain: Relax, we still won the League.
This in a nutshell! Disappointed we haven’t broke the records but couldn’t give a f**k. Yes its a bit of an anti climax, given the disruption to the season. However, at the beginning of the season I would have taken a last minute goal in the last game of the season if we were declared Champions, so im still elated.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
What really worries me that when van Dijk and Becker have a night off and fuck up nobody of our main guys up front step up. That and does anybody believe Minamino will ever be a regular for us? Really Origi and Minamino as back up? I know Origi has done great for us but that was over a year ago and Minamino, well, I think he is to light to play CF in the PL.

Best thing tonight I just read the celebration for next Wednesday.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
[
It really is about effort VVD fell asleep, Wijnaldum didn't keep any attack going after we had scored it was an atrocious lack of effort from our leaders on the pitch. Klopp has to rethink this imo Milner doesn't get many games any more which just leaves Henderson.
Milner is injured mate.

Anyway, Arsenal offered nothing all game and we penned back for most of the game. Two things cost us.

- two absolutely idiotic mistakes
- a lack of incision around the box. Could not find the pass to create the chance.

Really don’t think it was about effort, or maybe we’re having a semantic argument about a definition of the word.

Time to play the kids,, no record to break and the league is won.
VVD is too casual sometimes,, and 9/10 times he would get away with it but today was the day.
They have to figure out who to replace for the front three if they can't bring anyone on to replace them effectively.
You can just see the team plays a gear or two off after we won the title.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Repost from Saturday: Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go home, have some Indica, and watch the other 30 games we won this year.

Wilkored08

Just what is the matter with em....we can't defend, we can't shoot, we can't score, we can't fight for the ball in midfield....so so so frustrating...pls sort it out.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Are we supposed to be worried about next season already, or is this meaningless?
It depends. If the season starts in empty grounds, I think we can be a bit worried indeed. This team feeds off emotions, intensity and pressure. When it is not there, something goes obviously lost.

But I'm under no doubt that the gaffer will make sure that everyone is 100% focused when we start again. That in itself should ensure much more consistency again.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I was bemused at the signing of Minamino......

I still am. Not sure what JK saw in him.

macca1970

First 30 mins all was well. A nice goal by Mane, after good work by Andy and Bobby.

Then we packed our bags for the Bahamas. VVD misplaced his back pass as he was too laid back and not positioning himself properly, which meant that a simple tug at the right time put him slightly off balance.

The Arse found themselves back in a game in which they were just struggling to get out their own half. Up to their equalizer, their pattern of play was the goalie to a defender then a long ball gobbled up by VVD. If they tried to play it our from the back, more often than not Bobby would nick the ball from them.

Then mistakes crept into our game, and the lack of motivation exposed. Alison next guilty of misplacing a simple pass out, which gifted the Arse their second in the 44th minute.

The second half was a case of defence against attack, and though we created some chances, our scoring boots were already in the suitcase. Apart from one delightful footwork to create a chance which Martinez saved, mo was subpar in this game. I actually thought he got into the game more just before he was taken off, as he was getting to the left and doubling up with Mane.

Anyway, this game was like those from the past where we would fail to break down a team intent solely on defending and using their speedsters up front to nick it. But it’s just a case of intensity not there with us already being champions.

As for the ref, we couldn’t really get anything from him. He allowed the Arse time at every stoppage to take throws, stand in front of the ball, etc. The incident with Holding flattening Mane was a particular highlight. But he wasn’t the reason we lost. Replay this game and 99 times out of a 100 we’d win it. Arse rode their luck even with our poor finishing to get gifted two chances.

wibseyred

I made the point in other thread that the effort in the 2nd half will show if its an intentional ploy to coast through remaining games and I'm convinced it is now.

rab

An hour or so to break down an Arsenal defence with Luiz and Holding in it and we barely ruffled their feathers.

Yes the players all look like we regular folk do the last week at work before Christmas but some of these lads are doing themselves no favours.

Ox, again anonymous. No idea why he's getting the nod ahead of Keita or Jones right now as it's just not working.

Salah had one of those games where he just seemed to try to hard and think to much. Never once really got at their defenders the way Mane did. Shows again the need for another proper wide forward option.

Minamino looked bright as a 9 but faded out the game when Shaqiri and Origi came on. Neither of them really seemed to be busting a gut either.

We strolled to the title and now we're ambling to the end of the season. Hard to blame them but I bet Klopp is fuming with the attitude and application shown.

Will be pissed if that's how we play next week when we get to lift the trophy.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I was bemused at the signing of Minamino......

I still am. Not sure what JK saw in him.
LOFL. That’s what you took out of that match?! Or is it just because he’s Japanese? Old habits die hard for guys your age.

Gazmaninaus

Sadly the intensity is gone as we’ve won the league. You only need to drop of 10% in this league and it bites you. Sadly not the end we would like but they have won the league and won it well.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Winning the league was all that mattered, but with possible a quick turnaround to the new season, Klopp and his staff need to get the players all focused to go again.
Im sure they will, but that's when bringing in a couple if fresh faces can make a big difference.
That's it for me. We need some fresh bodies to keep pressure on our starters. We could really do with Thiago for that.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Lost to Arse. What the actual F!

The first 30 minutes in the first half was vintage LFC football. Pressed, pressed and pressed. Mane was a beast. Robbo was great.

However, you can start seeing the cracks with Gomez soft pass that almost cost us. Fabinho's started to fade a bit with the concentration. Ox became invisible again. Then, the wheel came right off with the assistant captain. Strangely, VVD being the assistant captain appeared to be too distracting for him this season. There is a saying "cannot walk and chew gum at the same time". It can't be for VVD!

The concentration king, Ali, also had a brain freeze. Grrrrr. I am not ready for this!

I was still hoping when our boys came out of the changing room after half time, there would be renew energy and press the Gunners to oblivion. However, extremely strange sensation of our lads appeared not to care with total lack of concentration right at the beginning of the 2nd half whistle. I cannot imagine what Hendo and Millie would say (scream) in the changing room.

I lost interest early in the second half when I saw our boys could not even be bothered (at least that was my impression). Mane still gave it all. Mo still misfiring.

No picks from me today. (If I have to pick anyone, it would be Mane and Robbo).

Will save a low resolution recording just for the records. But man, what a horrible game. It will not be rewatched!

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Personally, I’m not that arsed about about points records, but I’m fucking angry about shit performances and throwing games away against teams as bad as Arsenal. I can’t believe the two goals we gave away, a fucking disgrace, both of them!

Flobs

FADA
[

Milner is injured mate.

Anyway, Arsenal offered nothing all game and we penned back for most of the game. Two things cost us.

- two absolutely idiotic mistakes
- a lack of incision around the box. Could not find the pass to create the chance.

Really don’t think it was about effort, or maybe we’re having a semantic argument about a definition of the word.
I know Milner is injured however he doen't play regularly anymore when fit which is understandable.

There was an incredible lack of effort after we had scored which lead to fuckwit errors that cost us the match. Even after they went 2-1 up we were stil passing backwards and sideways then thumping long balls that's just fucking lazy and lazy is lack of effort. Relaxed is lack of effort I relax with a glass of red on a sunbed.

Herb

May as well give the kids a run out in the next two games. Really poor quality throughout the team. Robbo and Mane were the only ones to show any class. All those corners but not a thing from them. Think Ox and Origi definitely need moving on close season. Shows how much we need Henderson in the team.
The Newcastle game, maybe. But not Chelsea. Preserving that unbeaten home record should be of utmost importance.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Sorry, just because they won the EPL 3 weeks, it doesn't mean the boys should relax as if they are on holiday, it is inexcusable. Klopp needs exert his authority again.

When Henderson and Milner are not on the pitch due to injury, the coaches need to find someone who can take over as Captain in their absence. I really thought Gini and VVD would fulfil the role. They were useless. Minamino is too timid, I know he is new, hopefully, he will get time and be more confident and Salah really needs to concentrate, he has missed so many excellent opportunities to score in the last few games. We cannot afford his near misses in the new season. Not sure what is going on in his head. I am not sure about the Ox, he has been there a while and not really made a major difference, the odd spectacular goal here and there.

We need to be much better in the new season, if we are going to fight for the title again next season. Let the lads have their day in the sun and then Klopp needs to reset the button again and get them all into the Boot camp.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Suppose we robbed them in the FA Cup in 2001 the fucking ground is a museum nowadays, they really are shite, unlike Burnley and Brighton I can’t even praise them for playing well.

But yeah us fans don’t take time off, if we were losing to Arsenal with a second string I’d be a bit more accepting.