• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wibseyred

[

Milner is injured mate.

Anyway, Arsenal offered nothing all game and we penned back for most of the game. Two things cost us.

- two absolutely idiotic mistakes
- a lack of incision around the box. Could not find the pass to create the chance.

Really don’t think it was about effort, or maybe we’re having a semantic argument about a definition of the word.
Its not effort its intensity for me. At no point in the 2nd half were we busting a gut to get back into the game.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
It really is about effort VVD fell asleep, Wijnaldum didn't keep any attack going after we had scored it was an atrocious lack of effort from our leaders on the pitch. Klopp has to rethink this imo Milner doesn't get many games any more which just leaves Henderson.
I’m surprised Wijnaldum got a name drop here....the fact we had numerous attacks after they went 2-1 up would suggest the Team carried on, to single out GW is a bit pathetic.
Simply put some of our big players made mistakes, a rarity and thankfully in a nothing game - apart from irrelevant records, which we all would have liked to have broken.
So how many years since we last won the title? And we are moaning about one game? I would happily win the title every season and break no records!!

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Christ, that was shite.

It was so poor, I actually said “Fuck it” and deleted my usual in-match notes.

I’d like to see the youngsters in the last two games, seeing that we can’t break the points record now. Our senior players just aren’t at the races at the moment and Klopp needs to sort them out.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We are actually in horrendous form and it should be very concerning to everyone

Of our last 13 (in all comps), W5, L6, D2, GF 20, GA 16. That's really worrying as it shows these last few weeks aren't just a blip.
We were in bad form indeed before the Corona break. That bad form, or rather, that inconsistency, seamlessly translated to this end of season. Therefore, there is no guarantee that it won't translate into the new coming season as well, especially if there are no fans in the grounds.

On the other hand, Kloppo will hopefully have a proper pre-season to get everyone in shape and hungry again.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

Of our last 13 (in all comps), W5, L6, D2, GF 20, GA 16. That's really worrying as it shows these last few weeks aren't just a blip.
All of this. I get it, we are Champions, and that is wonderful. Thirty Years. We had a chance at football immortality. But let’s not also bury our heads in the sand, our form hasn’t been good and some guys just look like they’d rather be anywhere else in the world.

macca1970

That includes two games against AM, where really we played well enough in the second that we should've gone through. It also includes all the matches since we crowned champions with nothing else to play for. So you can use those stats to make many differnt points.

So personally I disagree with the "very concerning" part. Two more games, then a break before the next season begins.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is at least 2 games pre COVID have caveats, that should have been 1-0 to us. It’s not about form it’s about the attitude on the pitch.

Treat it with slightly more respect and we wouldn’t lose tonight, I actually got to the point where I’d rather us play alongside another game so I’d watch that instead, ours clashes with the Championship end next week so maybe I’ll only tune in for trophy.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Does anybody still not think that we need to strengthen the squad when the window opens?
I think it’s a bit foolish to draw too many conclusions from matches played after the league is won.

I’d like a bit of something doing in the forward positions, but I’m still fairly relaxed.

wibseyred

Does anybody still not think that we need to strengthen the squad when the window opens?
Thats a pointless question. The question is what finances are available to sign anyone. Klopp possibly would like someone but been within inside the club has a lot better knowledge of what's available.

Dave-D

Meh. Truthfully 100pts never interested me. We won the league and now we’re having an end of season holiday by the look of things.

Noo Noo

I’m surprised Wijnaldum got a name drop here....the fact we had numerous attacks after they went 2-1 up would suggest the Team carried on, to single out GW is a bit pathetic.
Simply put some of our big players made mistakes, a rarity and thankfully in a nothing game - apart from irrelevant records, which we all would have liked to have broken.
So how many years since we last won the title? And we are moaning about one game? I would happily win the title every season and break no records!!
I think he gap has been so long between playing and pretty much securing the title and then starting again we all want us to carry on as before. Coming back and not really having to put any effort in to secure the title has knocked us all for 6.

The lads honestly need a well deserved reset.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Are we supposed to be worried about next season already, or is this meaningless?
Without question I'm worried. It only takes 5-10% less effort for results to be very different (I've no scientific evidence to support this claim:LOL:). Today we were about 70% off. Its not as if we weren't playing for anything. This team won't get into a position again to break the points record. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Clearly the record wasn't that important to the players I'll grant you that.

But I will always be worrying about hunger the season after breaking a 30yr drought.

Herb

People were saying that about 100 points. I dont think it matters much...they just need to find their standards again by september.
I dunno...I think the idea of remaining unbeaten at home gives you a huge psychological edge over any visiting team and keeps that air of invincibility about us at Anfield. Remember when Chelsea went about 10 years undefeated at Stamford Bridge under Mourinho and in all honesty you never really believed for a second that anybody would go there and win a game.

wibseyred

I think he gap has been so long between playing and pretty much securing the title and then starting again we all want us to carry on as before. Coming back and not really having to put any effort in to secure the title has knocked us all for 6.

The lads honestly need a well deserved reset.
Exactly there wasn't a chance we weren't not winning the league.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I dunno...I think the idea of remaining unbeaten at home gives you a huge psychological edge over any visiting team and keeps that air of invincibility about us at Anfield. Remember when Chelsea went about 10 years undefeated at Stamford Bridge under Mourinho and in all honesty you never really believed for a second that anybody would go there and win a game.
Yeah it would be a nice record to continue with into the next season, it was Palace a few years back wasn’t it?

auzziez

That was bewildering and infuriating at the same time.

More importantly, we dont really have potent backup to change things.
In the context of the whole season you may be right, except for Minamino who looked lively today since coming on, we don't look lethal after making changes when chasing the game. I hope Jones, Brewster and Elliott will change our perspective next season.

But for today's game I don't we should have required subs to change the game. We could have won it with a lot of time to spare.

Good thing we lost this way now when the league is already wrapped up. Klopp will surely quote this loss for the next few seasons to keep the boys concentrated.

macca1970

People were saying that about 100 points. I dont think it matters much...they just need to find their standards again by september.
Agree.

All the records that the media show these days just seem to me like "oh that's interesting" for about one second then move on. As klopp says, if you're successful, then x wins and y wins records will come.

Most seem artificial to me - such as player x is on the wining team 123 times in a row. Well, that's nice, but who really cares?