• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Flying Pig

Fizzle, fizzle..........out.
Call me greedy but I am pissed off.
Someone wins the league/premiership every single year. We have won it 19 times !
Nobody, but nobody, has ever got more than 100 points. An historic achievement.
It was within our grasp but we couldn't be arsed.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Agree.

All the records that the media show these days just seem to me like "oh that's interesting" for about one second then move on. As klopp says, if you're successful, then x wins and y wins records will come.

Most seem artificial to me - such as player x is on the wining team 123 times in a row. Well, that's nice, but who really cares?
Wait, you don’t think it’s a big deal to footballers to be immortalised as the side who has secured the most points and wins in history? I’m asking genuinely. Your post makes it seem like it’s no big deal. For me, that seems a REALLY big deal. Most players never get anywhere within that range in their career to even have a shot at something like that.

But that could just be me romanticizing the competitive spirit.

Dave-D

They've been on holiday since the 25th June!!
They’ve also been terrible coming back from two week international breaks, so with lockdown etc lasting at least eight weeks that won’t have helped much.

jabu

TIA New Signing
"The gap between the two teams today is enormous, we can not improve it in two months"-Arteta. exactly this....We might have lost but boy oh boy, it was like playing against mid table team.... oh wait!!!

Antiope

In the context of the whole season you may be right, except for Minamino who looked lively today since coming on, we don't look lethal after making changes when chasing the game. I hope Jones, Brewster and Elliott will change our perspective next season.

But for today's game I don't we should have required subs to change the game. We could have won it with a lot of time to spare.

Good thing we lost this way now when the league is already wrapped up. Klopp will surely quote this loss for the next few seasons to keep the boys concentrated.
It would be harsh to judge Minamino. Came to the club in Jan and with the break he hasn't really had the time to settle. Next season will be the time to judge him.

However, as promising as Jones, Brewster and Elliott are - and I want them to succeed here - it would be crazy to rely on them next season. Give them 2-3 more years to fully develop. Everyone is not Trent.

We need experienced, ready backups.

Dave-D

Wait, you don’t think it’s a big deal to footballers to be immortalised as the side who has secured the most points and wins in history? I’m asking genuinely. Your post makes it seem like it’s no big deal. For me, that seems a REALLY big deal. Most players never get anywhere within that range in their career to even have a shot at something like that.

Trophies and winners medals are what motivates players not records. You don’t see the best players once they retire going on about we kept X amount of clean sheets or scores X amount of goals just what trophies they won.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Trophies and winners medals are what motivates players not records. You don’t see the best players once they retire going on about we kept X amount of clean sheets or scores X amount of goals just what trophies they won.
That’s not even remotely close to what I asked.

Im asking about being motivated to achieve footballing immortality and you’re talking about clean sheets and goals.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Thats a pointless question. The question is what finances are available to sign anyone. Klopp possibly would like someone but been within inside the club has a lot better knowledge of what's available.
Just because the money might not be available, doesn’t make the question about the squad needing strengthening pointless. There will be one two players leaving and they will need replacing. It‘s also pretty obvious that a couple of our fringe players are just not good enough if we want to continue challenging City.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
How many more games have we got left? I mean, we need some sort of salvaging and at least win one game and get a draw in the other.

I hope Klopp makes them run round the track in the pouring rain with heavy backpacks on

Cologne-Liverpool

Most records aren't for eternity. We could have beaten City's point record from just two seasons ago.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
We are actually in horrendous form and it should be very concerning to everyone

Of our last 13 (in all comps), W5, L6, D2, GF 20, GA 16. That's really worrying as it shows these last few weeks aren't just a blip.
our form going into break (watford, athletico madrid) was concerning (with watford being a real headscratcher - we looked really flat in that match)
and since coming back it's been blah too.....

Klopp and coaching staff will sort this out
and we won't see crap like tonight again until we win the league next year with 8 games to go ....

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The man cheaty players reaching 100 points will be called forever 'the centurions'. The Arsenal players who remained unbeaten throughout the season are still called the 'invincibles'. It must be quite flattering for their egos to be fair, once they stop playing... :LOL:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Most records aren't for eternity. We could have beaten City's point record from just two seasons ago.
Right. How many times has 100 been done?

EDIT: and I don’t know why I’m asking, no one here is a pro footballer. So I suppose I got the answer I was looking for tonight from the boys. Fair play.

Dave-D

The man city players reaching 100 points will be called forever 'the centurions'. The Arsenal players who remained unbeaten throughout the season are still called the 'invincibles'. It must be quite flattering for their egos to be fair... :LOL:
And the Liverpool players will go down in history as the first to win the English premier league. I know which of the three I’d rather be

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I’m angry with that they were shit and we gifted them goals, sorry but say if a team turns up and we are not at the races fair enough but don’t give a team that showed as much desire as a corspe the 3 points.

I absolutely hate water breaks.

I might tune in after the game next week.
water breaks and warm weather breaks are our nemeses (I'd argue that this is the first TIA post to include the plural spelling of nemesis)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
The man city players reaching 100 points will be called forever 'the centurions'. The Arsenal players who remained unbeaten throughout the season are still called the 'invincibles'. It must be quite flattering for their egos to be fair, once they stop playing... :LOL:
Our lads will have to be content with ‘The seven games to spare-ers’

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
How many more games have we got left? I mean, we need some sort of salvaging and at least win one game and get a draw in the other.

I hope Klopp makes them run round the track in the pouring rain with heavy backpacks on
2, I’d hope we put in a performance before our trophy presentation next week, after that I probably won’t care either.

XMarlin

Didn't watch the match...not televised here in Miami...

Probably a good thing too as it sounds as if we were listless and careless.

We really haven't been on form since play resumed. Lots of theories as to why...many of which have merit.

My humble opinion...momentum counts...

When the season was suddenly interrupted we were beasts...we had clearly indicated to the rest of the footballing world that the FA Cup, the League Cup weren't that relevant and that our elimination from the Champions League, although disappointing wasn't the priority...winning the league was.

After the break, we won the league...not because of anything spectacular on our part...but because City found a way to piss it away...

In a year or two we'll have forgotten this series of disappointments.

Right now we finish the season...we won it convincingly and if there hadn't been an interruption we wouldnt have lost today.

The break caused us to lose the two key elements contributing to excellence...focus and composure. Without those two elements one cannot succeed.

Next match we play the second string...top to bottom...give every backup and bench player the start and the minutes...

Against Chelsea for the last match, we start our best...then sub as necessary.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Team is mentally on the beach, not surprising under the circumstances. It is hard to stay focused with no one pushing, and the points mark is not much in the scheme of things.
Then they need to change their mentality quickly. They should be thinking "next season has already started, the title win means nothing now. We start again and we hit September with wins and form under our belt".