• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Flying Pig

Trophies and winners medals are what motivates players not records. You don’t see the best players once they retire going on about we kept X amount of clean sheets or scores X amount of goals just what trophies they won.
I take it you have heard of "The Invincibles".
Arsenal supporters, ex players and commentators mention it from time to time.
Oh, and also Man Utd. supporters and Gary Neville often mention 20.
Records matter !

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
I hate watching us lose even a friendly, losing to the Arsenal when they weren't even playing well is worse. I want to see us finish strong, we have no cups to play for. Gutted we didn't beat Atletico, if we had there would still be hunger i feel, not that i think they aren't trying but they lack focus big time, especially our defence.

auzziez

It would be harsh to judge Minamino. Came to the club in Jan and with the break he hasn't really had the time to settle. Next season will be the time to judge him.

However, as promising as Jones, Brewster and Elliott are - and I want them to succeed here - it would be crazy to rely on them next season. Give them 2-3 more years to fully develop. Everyone is not Trent.

We need experienced, ready backups.
The things with these young lads is that you never know there are ready until they are. For all his experience I think Shaq is an expensive sub to be called upon. Origi seems to be on the same route irrespective of his cult like status. Lallana is going and Milner isn't getting young either.

TAA and Gomez were brought in to the first team when it would have been very convenient to say 'the kids need time to develop and we should buy experienced backups'.

Agree that there is no guarantee the kids will come as good as TAA or Gomez. But with the Klopp way where he likes a small group of closely knit squad I would prefer trying out the kids than signing another Caulker. An in house solution if it works out. Of course that would mean our senior players take the responsibility to secure the game and not rely on the subs to change the result, like we had to do today.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I take it you have heard of "The Invincibles".
Arsenal supporters, ex players and commentators mention it from time to time.
Oh, and also Man Utd. supporters and Gary Neville often mention 20.
Records matter !
20 is a bit different mind, that’s the number of titles they've achieved.

Sad to say but one teams stadium is living in the past and it’s not the older of the two.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Pretty good performance, actually, even though the two mistakes naturally take a lot of the focus. Slightly annoying to get two straight games where the result doesn't match the effort, but I can't say it bothers me. The boys will probably use it as motivation to keep improving and stay hungry.

I thought Mane was very good, MOTM for me. Keita lively off the bench, another good game from him, and I liked a lot of the things Minamino did.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
It’s not about the effort. It’s just two really, really fucking braindead mistakes. They control the game, but you can’t fucking offer gifts like that on a fucking plate.

And I don’t care if we have won the league. Van Dijk and Alisson’s fuck up would be unacceptable in a pre season friendly.
Agree the effort isn't lacking, it's the brain that's gone on holiday

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
May as well give the kids a run out in the next two games. Really poor quality throughout the team. Robbo and Mane were the only ones to show any class. All those corners but not a thing from them. Think Ox and Origi definitely need moving on close season. Shows how much we need Henderson in the team.
With regards to Ox he is being shunted from position to position and he is giving his all but just hasn't found his rhythm since the restart.

It's some of the starters that are lacking i.e Trent, from being frightening with his deliveries to hitting the 1st man every time, Mo a shadow of himself in the last 2 games and Gini just provides nothing going forward. I will spare VVD & Alisson mostly apart from their brain farts.

For me, we need to look at the younger players, who are looking to make a name for themselves at Liverpool and other players who are playing for their squad/starting places next year.

jaffod

The lack of professionalism and pride these lads have shown since the resumption has quite frankly shocked me. Bar the Palace game it's been a shit-show. I get it, the title was won months ago but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed yet we've romped over it and if I was Klopp I'd be fucking seething tonight.
It is genuinely painful watching us try to pick our way through a packed defence, especially one as porous and inept as Arsenal's. We have an array of players who are supposedly adept at doing exactly that but on this season's showing not one of them will be a regular next season and that has to be a major concern. Lallana and Shaq are gone, Ox looks done, Keita has produced virtually nothing in 2 years and Minimino is failing to make any impact. If we go into next season relying on the same 12/13 players who have carried us again all season then you can forget any chance of another title, Abu Dhabi wont be losing 9 games again anytime soon. Say what you like about those cunts, and I have, but they've come back with absolutely nothing to play for but they've been on it from the first whistle.
We've had a cunt of a week. Those fucking scruffs got off with their systematic cheating yet we had an ideal opportunity to at least scrub their name from the record books but somehow contrived to gift a weak, disinterested and piss-poor Arsenal all 3 points. The last 2 games are going to be a hard watch.
If anyone told me 6 months ago I'd be having the thoughts I am tonight then I'd have laughed in their faces. These players have run through walls for the past 2 years but the events of the last month have knocked me for six, I feel really fucking disappointed right now.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
All good. Trophy lift next Wednesday. Job well done lads. The rest is trivial I suppose. @Cologne-Liverpool my apologies for being curt, my own personal angst post match stemmed from these boys being so close to achieving such uncommon glory, being remembered as some of the best to ever do it. Of course they’ll always be number one in our hearts but the history books would have cemented them.

EDIT: @jaffod nails it for me above. He articulates quite well what I was trying to say about the record.

jaffod

And to think I posted in the pre-match thread that my anticipation of this match was akin to knowing Nigella Lawson was waiting for me to get home and drain my spuds.
Turned out it was Delia fucking Smith stinking of fags and wearing a pair of belly-warmers.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
With regards to Ox he is being shunted from position to position and he is giving his all but just hasn't found his rhythm since the restart.

It's some of the starters that are lacking i.e Trent, from being frightening with his deliveries to hitting the 1st man every time, Mo a shadow of himself in the last 2 games and Gini just provides nothing going forward. I will spare VVD & Alisson mostly apart from their brain farts.

For me, we need to look at the younger players, who are looking to make a name for themselves at Liverpool and other players who are playing for their squad/starting places next year.
Post-restart Mo reminds me of Samson after Delilah had her way with his hair.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
For those not cutting up a bit rough, I understand the reaction.

If anyone needs convincing whether the game matters or not....

This was a game of football and Jürgen Klopp is our manager

I can’t help but think Jürgen is taking note of the players reactions

If we are turning off right now because we have achieved our goal, he’d be questioning which players think one Prem medal is enough.

It is not a preseason game, either.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
If nobody is concerned about a points record and there will be bugger all transfer activity, we should really be focussed on giving the likes of Jones, Minamino, Elliot and Neco a lot more game time. I'm sure JK will also be mindful of the integrity of the competition with Chelsea still to play who are in a war for a champions league spot.

I would also like to see a lot more of Shaq if he isn't going anywhere next season. Even if he is, get him in the shop window, he seems to offer a lot of creativity.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
[

Milner is injured mate.

Anyway, Arsenal offered nothing all game and we penned back for most of the game. Two things cost us.

- two absolutely idiotic mistakes
- a lack of incision around the box. Could not find the pass to create the chance.

Really don’t think it was about effort, or maybe we’re having a semantic argument about a definition of the word.
They were that deep and with that many defenders around the box that it is very difficult to break down, but our movement and close passing was lacking and Sadio was the only one to really cause them problems.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
The lack of professionalism and pride these lads have shown since the resumption has quite frankly shocked me. Bar the Palace game it's been a shit-show. I get it, the title was won months ago but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed yet we've romped over it and if I was Klopp I'd be fucking seething tonight.
It is genuinely painful watching us try to pick our way through a packed defence, especially one as porous and inept as Arsenal's. We have an array of players who are supposedly adept at doing exactly that but on this season's showing not one of them will be a regular next season and that has to be a major concern. Lallana and Shaq are gone, Ox looks done, Keita has produced virtually nothing in 2 years and Minimino is failing to make any impact. If we go into next season relying on the same 12/13 players who have carried us again all season then you can forget any chance of another title, Abu Dhabi wont be losing 9 games again anytime soon. Say what you like about those cunts, and I have, but they've come back with absolutely nothing to play for but they've been on it from the first whistle.
We've had a cunt of a week. Those fucking scruffs got off with their systematic cheating yet we had an ideal opportunity to at least scrub their name from the record books but somehow contrived to gift a weak, disinterested and piss-poor Arsenal all 3 points. The last 2 games are going to be a hard watch.
If anyone told me 6 months ago I'd be having the thoughts I am tonight then I'd have laughed in their faces. These players have run through walls for the past 2 years but the events of the last month have knocked me for six, I feel really fucking disappointed right now.
Jaffod, I am going to join you. Was so disappointed, I thought, at least scrape a draw tonight. We could have smashed the 100 points barrier, but the lads were still on holiday mode and were lazy.
I totally agree with you on Man City, Pep has got his kids on a leash, he never lets them lose focus. Klopp is like a kind Dad who has let his kids out on a night out and now they are taking advantage of it every night.
Next season will be tough and we won't have this huge advantage of 20+ points gap, we cannot afford to be complacent, we still need to be highly competitive.

GaryC

In hindsight perhaps it is too much to hope for our players to put in 100% mental and physical effort after the title is won. It has been a long and tiring season. Thank God we won no.19! YNWA

Flobs

FADA
In hindsight perhaps it is too much to hope for our players to put in 100% mental and physical effort after the title is won. It has been a long and tiring season. Thank God we won no.19! YNWA
Saw an interview wityh Mané and he was just 'I just want to win' reminded me of Saurez. That's the type of player you need to go the whole season. All 11 just refusing to lie down until the match is won.

jaffod

We had 69% possession and 24 shots to Arsenal’s three, yet still lost.

This was Football Manager come to life.
Those sort of stats were commonplace for this club over the last 25-30 years. This present side had more or less made them a thing of the past. The last 2 results have been an anomaly given our dominance in both games.
I'm hoping it's all just down to the weird circumstances we find ourselves in atm and the fact the lads have clearly taken their eye off the ball.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
To be honest, I cant blame the players.

I cant even be bothered to get out of bed early enough to watch them. I have struggled to get excited about any game without the fans there. It feels flat (every game I have seen not just us).

For me this season feels like a relief to have finally won the title rather than thrill of winning the CL or the edge of your seat title challenges where we finished second.

As bad as it sounds I am waiting for this season to end, for next one to begin.