• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Let’s be honest until we have them the goal they aren’t scoring.

The performance wasn’t bad the lack of professionalism was in my view.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Those sort of stats were commonplace for this club over the last 25-30 years. This present side had more or less made them a thing of the past. The last 2 results have been an anomaly given our dominance in both games.
I'm hoping it's all just down to the weird circumstances we find ourselves in atm and the fact the lads have clearly taken their eye off the ball.
Happened against Atletico, too. That’s what really worries me.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
It's incredibly frustrating watching us dominate games and throw away leads. It's like watching the Liverpool of 4 years ago.

Still, I've been waiting 20 odd years for a title. Here it is. I'm not going to wind myself up by moaning about points records and whatnot. That's never what I've been concerned about. When it really matted, the players performed.

Next season has not started, despite what some want to claim. It'll start in September.

Anyway, I hope we'll put on a big performance at Anfield against Chelsea to celebrate the trophy lift.

macca1970

To be honest, I cant blame the players.

I cant even be bothered to get out of bed early enough to watch them. I have struggled to get excited about any game without the fans there. It feels flat (every game I have seen not just us).

For me this season feels like a relief to have finally won the title rather than thrill of winning the CL or the edge of your seat title challenges where we finished second.

As bad as it sounds I am waiting for this season to end, for next one to begin.
I feel the same way at times. And it seems like next season will begin with either no fans or reduced to 25% or something capacity. Also there could still be 5 subs, and the way it's going, the drinks break will eventually turn into quarter time sponsored by Apple.

But still, come the first game of the season, and i'll be up for it.

jaffod

Happened against Atletico, too. That’s what really worries me.
Yes, it's creeping back in. Our chance conversion is shit. Each miss is met with a smile and a shrug of the shoulders because the next chance will come along shortly. Abu Dhabi rack up 5 and 6 goal wins on the same number of chances.
Bobby is going under the radar as people fret about Mane and Salah's relationship. No PL goals in 13 now and none at home all season. Only Divock on the bench. Sporadic threat from midfield. It's a worry.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I think the response is important, two games left, it is likely a first team will play against Chelsea, then some changes for the last game.

macca1970

Yes, it's creeping back in. Our chance conversion is shit. Each miss is met with a smile and a shrug of the shoulders because the next chance will come along shortly. Abu Dhabi rack up 5 and 6 goal wins on the same number of chances.
Bobby is going under the radar as people fret about Mane and Salah's relationship. No PL goals in 13 now and none at home all season. Only Divock on the bench. Sporadic threat from midfield. It's a worry.

Maybe Bobby is trying to appease the fans who love breaking all different kinds of records.......:cool:

I think the response is important, two games left, it is likely a first team will play against Chelsea, then some changes for the last game.
Agree here. The lift up trophy game should be played by those who contributed most to the title imo. And can have some fun the last game with the likes of Harvey getting a start.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Well that was tripe!
Was a little concerned since we secured the title that we might relax,but this was something else.
OK we've got the title but I was always brought up to believe that a game worth playing was a game worth, at least trying,to win.
Not convinced at all by that effort.
Bit rough on the opposition ,particularly Newcastle,but we might as well play the kids in the last two.
At least they will put in an effort to get themselves noticed for next season.
MOTM...pass!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Then they need to change their mentality quickly. They should be thinking "next season has already started, the title win means nothing now. We start again and we hit September with wins and form under our belt".
But that isn't really true. A loss now means basically nothing. The league is won, and no one else is even in the time zone. Henderson's injury is real, 'form' is a construct that fans believe in. Next season has not already started, although this year it will come up incredibly quickly. Every side has had their 'summer break' already in a mentally exhausting time, so next season is going to be a grinding marathon. They do need to change their mentality quickly, but not necessarily now. I actually think we could benefit now from playing more of the marginal and youth players to give them a chance to show something, and let the first XI go into September better rested than anyone else.

Not the season I thought we were going to have as we started 2020, but everything else changed too. Focus is on #20 now, not bragging rights over Arsenal fans.

nikz200

After the Burnley match i didn't want to say anything cause there was a clear drop in focus in the game and we wasted chances but i saw our young players like Neco and Jones show some promise during the game and i was happy with that as well as robertson finally finding his feet again in terms of form in that game.

In this game against Arsenal. We didn't take them seriously enough and the performance today was just ........ disappointing from the lads. Defeat at this point means nothing , but performance is vital because we feed off consecutive good performances. The biggest problem today is that yet again once we have taken the lead, we switch off. That mistake from Big Virg has been coming for a long while now given that he has played almost every minute of the league season and the fact that we couldn't score more than 1 goal against this arsenal team speaks as to the lack of edge of offence provides right now.

The other frustrating thing is , Arsenal knew how to play us. Even if they weren't spectacular about it, they played in a certain way that contributed to our own defeat on this day. Now that we are champions the focus has to be on scoring goals, as many as possible to shut up the game when we are leading. All season long we depended on our defence to win us a lot of these games in the league but moving forward simply having that is not possible. I will say it again, the Athletico game and the Watford game showed teams a way to play us and we also know now, the front 3 have slowed down and the rest of the squad cannot contribute in terms of goals. FirMino is important to how we play but i would argue today bringing on Minamino today on the 61st minute and then Origi didn't do anything for us offensively and once again i will say it. We will need a player or two before we go again next season especially in the offensive facet of the game. Hendo being injured is not an excuse but if anyone ever bloody opens their mouth even rival fans about how henderson is not important to our team, ill kick them into siberia.

Im starting to get worried about how out of sorts Minamino has looked and i feel this is going down the unfortunate pathway atm. Amongst all that there might be still hope in the free agent market to try and bolster and give the squad a kick up the arse for next season. And even more important than all that, need to find a way to hit the high tempo we are capable of playing at, because right now it isn't looking like we can hit it.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Winning it so early has probably led to the fact that we won’t break the points record, 96 would be fitting in a way.
I do wonder whether the Invincibles winning it on matchday 34 made it easier for them because they still had to fight at 100% until that point. Then their last 4 games were Birmingham, Portsmouth, Fulham, LC. Not to compare though as we lost a game before even winning it, but I think it City weren't so awfully shit we probably would have been able to do it.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Glen Johnson made a very good point last night.
Saying if Liverpool had the choice of just drawing their last 3 games, but having everyone fit, healthy and uninjured, they'd take your hand off.

Dont think trivial records are as important to players and managers as they are to supporters.

None of this post break form concerns me in the slightest and I basically cant wait for this season to end.
We've still got as many trophies as league losses over the last 2 seasons, and it's trophies that count.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

If by some chance you aren't joking, do you believe in massive coincidences?
No, it isn't a matter of coincidence either. 'Form' is a word that fans and pundits use to describe what they see, but that doesn't make it real. A team that is 'in form' is playing hard for each other, doing all the little things in each moment, focusing, etc. - none of that comes easily, even if the team is 'in form'. It isn't momentum so much as habit, plus attitude. It doesn't exist in a vacuum, and contrary to what fans and pundits think, it doesn't make things any easier, other than the way habits do. Show up to the park thinking you are going to win without working for it, and that is the day 'form' is gone. A team on a winning streak has confidence, which is valuable, but it needs to have fear. Fear that if you don't get cover on the forward on the corner, he gets a free header, gets a goal, and this is the day the streak ends....so you back into him to disrupt the header, knowing that you get flattened. 'Form' is just a third-party term that characterizes the result, not the process.

Where the problem with these matches comes is there is really nothing to fear. Not reaching the highest total ever, so that asterisk won't be there on a season that will be surely be asterisked no matter what? I'd take an uninjured Henderson over that, thanks. These are dead rubber hands we are playing now, they count for points, but otherwise they are not much more than friendlies.

NZred

The Red From NZ
But that isn't really true. A loss now means basically nothing. The league is won, and no one else is even in the time zone. Henderson's injury is real, 'form' is a construct that fans believe in. Next season has not already started, although this year it will come up incredibly quickly. Every side has had their 'summer break' already in a mentally exhausting time, so next season is going to be a grinding marathon. They do need to change their mentality quickly, but not necessarily now. I actually think we could benefit now from playing more of the marginal and youth players to give them a chance to show something, and let the first XI go into September better rested than anyone else.

Not the season I thought we were going to have as we started 2020, but everything else changed too. Focus is on #20 now, not bragging rights over Arsenal fans.
Yup, that focus should have started a week ago. Instead we continue to fail to show up and lose to the worst Arsenal side in 25 years with one of the most laughable backlines in league history.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Glen Johnson made a very good point last night.
Saying if Liverpool had the choice of just drawing their last 3 games, but having everyone fit, healthy and uninjured, they'd take your hand off.

Dont think trivial records are as important to players and managers as they are to supporters.

None of this post break form concerns me in the slightest and I basically cant wait for this season to end.
We've still got as many trophies as league losses over the last 2 seasons, and it's trophies that count.
It should, our form has been shit since before the break.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Ox hasn't been the same since he suffered that catastrophic knee injury against Roma. It's too bad.

nikz200

Its not form and its not winning, its about the performance the moment we won the league.As was said earlier as well, our form before the break has been not very promising, and all season long we have won games yes, we have won some games amazingly, but we have not been overwhelming offensively in a few games , and there is a notable drop in performance in some of these games that it can be alarming. Trophies count yes , i agree 100%, but for next season if we want to compete on all fronts, we need to find a way to maintain consistency regardless of who is on the pitch and who isn't.

The common message seems to be "Its all fine, this squad can just go again without any additions or changes needed." And while i especially like our young players like Curtis Jones and Neco Williams, i feel the others are too young and we should seriously look to bolster the team and refresh the squad (when i say refresh i mean offload some keep others and do our recruitment policy we have been so damn good at doing not overhaul the squad) so that the players at least are on their toes and more competitive, especially our front 3 who when stuck the ideas are just not there. The three of them are world class players no doubt, but after they have played so many times , people will eventually gameplan to stop them. Moving forward for next year, the performances now will matter because its basically training for the next season.

i still don't understand why Klopp did not start Keita for this game and why Minamino wasn't given a proper run out for the last two games and then brought in for this game. Again, its nit picking sure, also if you told me you just got to lose games and have a drastic drop in performance level AFTER you have won the league title you have been hoping for over 3 decades, i would have bitten your hand off so for me its ok, its NOT the end of the world.

But still its a minor annoyance and its a minor nit pick , but thats the difference between thinking like a champion and thinking like a mid table team.

Incognito

The Normal One
Do we all really live by the standards we are expecting our team to be, performing like madmen and robos without being affected in factors like lack of motivation due to the job already done?

I mean we haven't even lifted the trophy but the players are expected to start performing like this is next season already. Their performances throughout the season suddenly shouldn't be considered and we should all start freaking out because we are now suddenly becoming mid table and this is how we will be when the new season starts. Ironic that the team have supposedly turned off because they have won the title, but the ability to get in form again when the new season starts cannot be there apparently. They will continue the same form only because it doesn't matter to them anymore.

Funny how we are assessing who should be sold on basis of these games because I would believe even Klopp should be asked to leave because the buck stops with him. Not sure why there is always a race towards calling our players flop, a signing IMO can be judged as flop only after he has left the club. Till that time he can still prove his worth. We have learnt our lessons multiple times with Fab, Robbo but we still remain doubters.

Continuity and stability with the right set of players has got us here. This may not be considered a success for many, but for me we have succeeded till day. A CL and a PL is good enough for a manager to show after where we have been, and every single player has contributed towards it. It may not seem that way, but the invisible Gini and always injured Matip are all significant part of the success.

The apparent lack of effort, I never saw Keita or Taki just walking across in these past games. How can we expect them to suddenly become the complete game changers like Gerrard while the rest of team can't finish or can't concentrate all of sudden.

Happy to eat humble pie if Klopp sells Keita or Taki this or next summer and get the 'I told you so he's a flop', but I'll wait till that day to judge any of our signings. At least till the time we are performing and winning stuff.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Isn’t this what we said about Robertson, Fabinho and Ox?
I didn't...well maybe a bit about O-C. I had never even heard of the other two but they soon showed what they could offer. I don't think this lad has shown much at all.....time will tell as always.

Last edited:

RodM

Voted Mané for MotM with Robbo in support.

God, that was sloppy. Totally dominated the game and lost because some of our best players had their mind on other things.

I suspected that this might happen once the league was won although, in truth, we have been like this since the mid-season break.

Some players do need a rest and it would have made sense to give some game time to our younger players again.

The only worry is that this creeps into next season. The summer break isn't that long and we can't be getting used to this kind of lackadaisical form.

I just hope that they pull out their finger for the next game. Do we get the trophy at the start or end of the match? I wouldn't want to celebrate that with a defeat.

jim bouki

Not really arsed about the loss tbh. The thing that’s annoyed me the most since the restart is the club crying poor. We’ve made record profits last few years. We’ve literally had money coming in from everywhere. If we have no money what about the rest of the football clubs who run off a deficit and are way worse financially then us?! Why are they not complaining?! No other club has had our amount of success last few years with minimal outlay we should be swimming in it. It reminds me of a family member I despise who cries poor all day and has you shout him lunch/coffees etc then jumps in his Mercedes and drives home to his mansion while i’m left scraping pennies riding my push bike home.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
and we have the Chavs next week! They are gonna do a romp if the boys turn up like this again!
This isn't a given. Their form is very much up and down, like the rest of the league, us included. It's just completely unpredictable. We could win at a canter, or lose again. Who knows?

I for one hope that the boys will show a strong reaction to yesterday's disappointment, and will want to finish off the season on a high. It would be a bit deflating for everyone to see them lift the trophy on the back of a home defeat.