Post Match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 15/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 83’]

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 61’]

• Salah [off 83’]

• Firmino [off 61’]

• Mane [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Minamino [on 61’]

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Keita [on 61’]

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Shaqiri [on 83’]

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Origi [on 83’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FGred

I hope not I want our strongest team possible and put Chelski down convincingly to redeem themselves and Klopp to make them understand they are playing for their place in the team And more importantly for their pride and in the dressing room I would plaster that Tweet from the shitty official web site “100” and after the game our tweet should just reply “CHAMPIONS”
Sorry @mattyhurst I meant to say I hope we do

The Flying Pig

While I am pissed off by last night's performance I would like to have another moan whilst I am still in the mood.
I apologise in advance........
Could we please stop referring to the Premier League (PL) as the English Premier League (EPL).
EPL is an invention of US broadcasters and has now become widespread even in England. It is THE Premier League. Just as The Open is not The British Open. The Grand National is not The English Grand National nor is The Derby, The English Derby. These are all the originals. It is subsequent events who imitate the name that have an extra identifier eg The Scottish Grand National or the The German Open.
I guess the US broadcasters would not be pleased if we started an English Super Bowl
and began referring to THE Super Bowl as the American Super Bowl !
As I said apologies in advance but I feel better for getting of my chest.
And by the way for those that claim not to care that we have thrown away away the chance to make history by getting 100+ points .....try saying out loud
" Congratulations to Manchester City on retaining your 100 point record. We weren't good enough to beat it "
Now does it hurt ?

LaurazRed

Sloppy again. They've mentally switched off, but given what we've done both physically and emotionally bringing the title back and coupled with last seasons effort. That being said the squad need to refresh and I hope we see some new faces, two or three to keep everyone one on their toes.

Henderson rest up and come back quickly please.

Next game we get to pick up the title we've been craving for years.

jim bouki

Who is crying poor? The fans are demanding spending. And Coronavirus is a convenient excuse for a club with an outstanding squad and almost no holes to avoid doing that. I really admire him for it. Next season might turn to shit, but it very likely won't be because we didn't spend. Klopp will obviously get criticized if it does go bad. So yeah that's why I admire him.
I think it's widely reported that Liverpool don't have money to spend in the in transfer market. Klopp has come out numerous times saying "we can't spend money this summer". I'm not calling for new faces. I love the squad as is. I guess i jus't don't like hearing Klopp repeatedly say the words "we can't" in regards to anything. Comes across as a defeatist attitude and seems to be rubbing off a bit on the players (albeit they're already on holiday)

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I hope not I want our strongest team possible and put Chelski down convincingly to redeem themselves and Klopp to make them understand they are playing for their place in the team And more importantly for their pride and in the dressing room I would plaster that Tweet from the shitty official web site “100” and after the game our tweet should just reply “CHAMPIONS”
They "redeemed themselves" by becoming league champions.
No-one on the playing or managerial staff really cares about bragging rights of points gap records.
They do their bragging by showing their medals.

If it means no-one is going into the close season nursing niggling injuries, and get the full rest period without having to turn up early for rehabilitation, then I couldn't give a fuck if we play the under 10's and lose our last 2 games

Flobs

FADA
Not going to go loony on this but I am very concerned that our " mentality monsters" will not be able to get back on track for next season. Teams know how to beat us now so we need to tweak things and become less predictable. I still feel a quality striker is needed . Sadly it looks like Origi is determined to stick around which makes that more difficult.
One game at a time, that's our philosophy under Klopp and it's a good one. Thinking too far ahead and of too many things just doesn't help.
This was one match, city was one match A Madrid was 2 separate matches.
Yes I am frustrated and disappointed however I can see some positives, Keita is getting better (almost good enough to be an LFC player now). Our youngsters look good and VVD is human after all (goes for Allisson as well). Most important I think Klopp is learning about the group he has formed which should stand us in good sted next season.
Then we lost to Arsenal FFS 'get it together lads'. :mad:

Flobs

FADA
I don't think the reason for the loss is down to one factor.
I think it was. After we scored our play changed drastically. We played backwards and sideways far to much. Gini became a completely different player. Ok he always slows play down but as soon as he started passing backward rather than forwards we looked ripe for the taking.

Plamen

While I am pissed off by last night's performance I would like to have another moan whilst I am still in the mood.
I apologise in advance........
Could we please stop referring to the Premier League (PL) as the English Premier League (EPL).
EPL is an invention of US broadcasters and has now become widespread even in England. It is THE Premier League. Just as The Open is not The British Open. The Grand National is not The English Grand National nor is The Derby, The English Derby. These are all the originals. It is subsequent events who imitate the name that have an extra identifier eg The Scottish Grand National or the The German Open.
I guess the US broadcasters would not be pleased if we started an English Super Bowl
and began referring to THE Super Bowl as the American Super Bowl !
As I said apologies in advance but I feel better for getting of my chest.
And by the way for those that claim not to care that we have thrown away away the chance to make history by getting 100+ points .....try saying out loud
" Congratulations to Manchester City on retaining your 100 point record. We weren't good enough to beat it "
Now does it hurt ?
It is not that deep.And I love the last sentence.Points record is not a trophy.You don't get a medal for getting 102 points.Some fans cared more about getting the points record than the players themselves.

MinniMo

I really hate myself for saying this, but VVD is no good at being Captain. Twice he's worn the armband since coming out of lockdown and twice we have been abysmal. If Hendo had of been on the pitch he would never have allowed them to play so poorly, they would have been bollocked and ripped apart by him before it ever got to last night's stage.

Milner does well replacing El Capitan, but VVD can't seem to concentrate on captaining and playing at the same time. If Millie isn't fit to play for these last two matches, expect more of the same.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I wonder if there's an argument to say this little period of poor results will be a benefit to us next season. We've had about 26 months of consistent excellence from this side which has to take its toll mentally. A bit of a let up now, a bit of humbling, might just be what's needed to fire them up again for next season.

To play at the same level from the restart all the way through to the end of next season would be a mammoth task.

Yeah, trying to put a positive spin on some poor results, but why not? We're champions of everything.
For me, if there is a positive spin, it is simply the opportunity to restart the process after a longer break than our direct competitors. City is going to face a real challenge playing at least one major fixture in August. That might lead to a strong start in the league for them, but a lot of accumulated fatigue over the season.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
The first is the usual thing of not being clinical enough and missing easy chances. The only way this current squad could be improved is by getting someone in who you can put your house on converting an easy chance because you can't say that about any of our front 3 for all their brilliance.
The front three with two games to go in the season have scored 44 goals in the league between them. They had 12 more in 18/19. Had they maintained their usual standards we would still be in the CL and we might have broken every record there is to be broken.

Last edited:

macca1970

We've had about 26 months of consistent excellence from this side which has to take its toll mentally. A bit of a let up now, a bit of humbling, might just be what's needed to fire them up again for next season.
This I agree. We've improved each year under Klopp.

Lost the league cup final on pens against shitty in 2016, then swashbuckled our way to the Europa final, only to be outdone by our own Alberto. Then we moved into the top 4 the following season to compete in the champions league.

2018 outdone by a streetwise madrid (Karius why oh why), but unlike Spurs who unravelled after a cup final loss, Klopp revitalised our play by introducing a more controlled approach. 2018-19 saw us with number 6, and a near perfect league season only to be ever so slightly outdone by Shitty.

No matter, we approached 2019-20 season with an uber concentration levels. First half of opening game saw us lose Alison, yet Adrian stepped in having only just joined from warming the bench elsewhere. We were ruthless. Unfortunately, despite getting back in the game aginast AM, a fatal error by Adrian caused us to get knocked out. And we're now league champions.

So yeah, I agree that this lull could actually be what we need to go again the next season.

We've also had quiet transfer windows lately, and we're bringing in youth which is good. But a signing or two may just be what we need.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I said play the first team against Chelsea and then change some for the last game which is Newcastle away

macca1970

For me, if there is a positive spin, it is simply the opportunity to restart the process after a longer break than our direct competitors. City is going to face a real challenge playing at least one major fixture in August. That might lead to a strong start in the league for them, but a lot of accumulated fatigue over the season.
Which they can solve by splurging out £400m to fully use the 5 sub rule, and also stick the middle finger at FFP.

Alright Now

I understand the range of emotions here (other than the slating of some players and references to our mid-table mentality: those I can’t fathom, but that’s just me). I’m in the camp though of being able to separate the current performances from our massive achievement. Maybe it’s just that I have waited 30 years and am too easily satisfied. Maybe I’ve turned full believer. Maybe after 30 years I realize none of this is a given and even sustained excellence may not produce another trophy for a long stretch.

Do I want us to destroy Chelsea? Sure. Can I separate that match from the trophy lift? Heck yes. I can’t wait for Hendo to hoist it and the club’s greatest legend to hand out the medals. To me, Chelsea is nothing in light of that. Nothing.

As for our mid-table mentality and the inability of our mentality monsters to switch on again, our last preseason: WWLLDLWL

And here we are.

I’m enjoyIng nineteen thoroughly because if we’ve all learned anything, especially given the current backdrop of our world, it’s all very fragile.

To each their own.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Liverpool, top of the league....Liverpool Liverpool top of the league.

Fuck all the cry arsing, fuck the century of points, fuck the invincibles.

I have little doubt that come the start of the next season, the slight drop in focus will have been regained.

The only concern we should all be having right now is whether or not Hendo can do the shuffle next week.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Far too much whining going on here.

It’s a shame that we won’t get 100 points now. But to translate what has happened - a bunch of lads who have just taken on the pressure of running two near perfect seasons having an understandable dip because the pressure is off - to conspiracy theories about ownership and spending is really lamentable.

I thought we might be spared the cryarsing for a bit after Hendo got his hands on the trophy, but it’s started before we’ve even seen the shuffle.

Incognito

The Normal One

It’s a shame that we won’t get 100 points now. But to translate what has happened - a bunch of lads who have just taken on the pressure of running two near perfect seasons having an understandable dip because the pressure is off - to conspiracy theories about ownership and spending is really lamentable.

I thought we might be spared the cryarsing for a bit after Hendo got his hands on the trophy, but it’s started before we’ve even seen the shuffle.
Don't know if the below is genuinely the case but it did make me happy. Twitter is the worst, it feels like we are Arsenal or something going by the posts there.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Don't get me wrong,it would be nice to have the points record but it's nowhere near as important as having Trophies in the cabinet.

I'm glad in a way we didn't hit over 100 points for a few reasons,Klopp likes to fire up our boys to be better than what we were in previous seasons,so having to beat 100+ points again next season,i feel would be a millstone around our necks that could possibly break us,trying to acheive the almost impossible again.

I'd imagine Man citeh are going to go strong in the transfer market and strengthen their never ending squad of quality even more,with Pep sounding like he owes us a kicking for the FFP case and Jurgen calling it a bad day for football,you can guarentee he'll want some payback for making them arse clowns look like......er... fucking arse clowns in the title race,so by not getting 100+ points that insentive for Peps billionaire squad is gone.

I don't like to see us lose but if we do,nows the time to do it,for me,anything thats happend since we bagged the title means fuck all,we have no need to go all out,gung-ho attacking,scoring,firing on all cylinders,100% focus or 100% anything,fuck it,save it for next season,all this form bollox since lockdown is just that..bollox,the reason Klopp has drummed 100% focus,willpower,energy,closing down,working hard,mentality monsters into this team,was to win the Prem,it's been acheived and tbh the games we have lost,we've been the better team by a country mile only for bad luck and poor finishing.No need for everyone to start shitting the bed and acting like we've lost next years title already,when we haven't picked up this years title yet,fucking madness.lol

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Keep reading about how teams now know how to beat us, wtf, apart from our loss to Man City, the other teams have parked 3 double-decker busses and relied on us not finishing our 20+ chances and then them being able to score goals with the 2 or 3 chances they create or in Arsenals case, we create.

This isn't really tactics it's relying on luck!!!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Keep reading about how teams now know how to beat us, wtf, apart from our loss to Man City, the other teams have parked 3 double-decker busses and relied on us not finishing our 20+ chances and then them being able to score goals with the 2 or 3 chances they create or in Arsenals case, we create.

I disagree mate. The last few days have really shown teams how to beat us.

You just wait until we’ve won the league by 20 odd points and then play us in one of the dead rubbers after we’ve knocked off.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

Not that I am at all disagreeing with what you’re saying but so far it’s been effective. And it’s not a revelation, we’ve been saying the same thing for a few seasons now. The majority of sides will stay compact, and see what they can get against us on the counter. Again, not a revolutionary idea. Until we can show more clinical finishing in the final third it will continue to be the same thing.

EDIT: and before I get super fanned by anyone I am quite enamored with the way WE play. Let the slugs park the bus.